Some NFL players are using video to record traffic stops

Police-Lights-Visuals-Unlimited-Inc.-Carol-Mike-Werner-Getty-Images Getty Images

In some NFL cities, the players get preferential treatment from the police.  In others, they drive around with targets on their backs.

Players who believe they’re being potentially selected by law enforcement have decided to do some targeting of their own — with video.  As explained by Brent Schrotenboer of USA Today, some players are using smartphones to deter police officers.

“I’ve actually had cops let me go after they found out that I was recording them,” Titans receiver Kenny Britt said.

Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett has done the same thing, specifically in 2011 when he was stopped by police in Maryland.

“I had picked up my phone and put it on video,” Dockett told Schrotenboer.  “I let it sit there and said loud and clear, ‘I don’t drink; I don’t smoke; I don’t have a weapon in my car.  You didn’t tell me why you pulled me over.  I asked if I was under arrest.  You said no.  I don’t see anything I did wrong or why I’m sitting here.  I gave you my license, my registration; everything is legit.’  He knew I was talking to the camera.”

Dockett said police wanted to search his vehicle.

“I said, ‘The only way I’m stepping out of the car is if you are going to place me under arrest, and at this point you’d be arresting me for no reason,’” Dockett said.  “He knew the video was going.  They stayed there for about 30 minutes, and I guess they had to go.  He said, ‘You can leave.’”

While the practice has some appeal, it could serve to inflame an otherwise innocuous interaction, compelling the police to dot i’s and cross t’s while exercising their discretion in a way that results in an arrest occurring.  But if the driver believes something fishy could happen without video evidence, it makes sense to press the “record” button.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
38 Responses to “Some NFL players are using video to record traffic stops”
  1. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Nov 29, 2013 3:15 PM

How about acting like a citizen, obeying traffic laws and not carrying drugs and/or concealed weapons in yer whip. Is that asking too much?

2. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 29, 2013 3:19 PM

Cop told Dockett he could leave. Then he turned around, waved, and said “Hi, Mom!”.

3. ken0west says: Nov 29, 2013 3:22 PM

Anyone who does not record any and every interaction with the police is a moron. I have been doing this for years, it keeps them in check.

Everyone should also have a dash camera, don’t understand why most don’t.

4. fdugrad says: Nov 29, 2013 3:23 PM

Well, maybe some NFL players ARE unfairly targeted, I do not know, however mentioning KENNY BRITT in conjunction with an article on the subject of “targeting” is laughable!! Any trouble that comes this chump’s way is either deserved or payback for the times he DIDN’T get caught!

5. shayeezy says: Nov 29, 2013 3:28 PM

@thereisfootballwestofjersey

how about reading the whole article next time? is that asking too much?

6. blacknole08 says: Nov 29, 2013 3:32 PM

You have to nowadays. There are some cops out there have have an agenda or will abuse their power.

These cops will always defend their transgressions even when things are recorded from their own dashboard cams may prove otherwise.

I don’t blame anyone for having a back-up plan.

7. pacodawg says: Nov 29, 2013 3:34 PM

News flash there are already being recorded.

8. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 29, 2013 3:34 PM

Don’t have to video the stop these days. Just get the one from the nearest lamp post, or the convenience store across the street. Or look for it on You Tube from a passing motorist.

9. anonymous135 says: Nov 29, 2013 3:42 PM

This is something everyone should be doing… regardless if you have something to hide or not.

Just to make sure that the police dot their I’s.. you know.

10. romosmicrodongs says: Nov 29, 2013 3:43 PM

you’re right pft, we shouldn’t exacerbate things by recording them. we should just trust authority and let them beat us behind the squad car gratefully

11. trubblman says: Nov 29, 2013 3:47 PM

Videotaping police encounters is almost always a good idea. The only caveat is that you know the law. For example, in Maryland, the police are allowed to order you to step out of your video and it’s not usually considered an arrest.

12. revskip says: Nov 29, 2013 3:49 PM

Every interaction with the police should be video documented. The police have shown time after time that they are not always serving the interest of the people and sometimes are just power tripping.

13. micklethepickle says: Nov 29, 2013 3:53 PM

It is a smart move. I was arrested once for refusing to take a breathalyzer/blood test (automatic DUI), even though I requested to take a breathalyzer test at the scene. When I went to trial, the officer claimed I never said that, and when my lawyer subpoenaed the cops belt recorder, he claimed “the batteries on the belt recorder had burned out” so there was no record. If I had been recording it on my own, I would have gotten off as I should have. Pigs can’t be trusted!

14. rcali says: Nov 29, 2013 3:54 PM

Can’t trust cops with an agenda. Always record interactions. Great advice from a friend who is a lawyer. If the cop is straight then nobody has anything to worry about.

15. gmenfan1982 says: Nov 29, 2013 3:56 PM

Nothing wrong with videotaping a run in with the law. Never trust a cop. NEVER. Even when innocent of any wrongdoing, it’s very likely you will be under suspicion for something.

16. ken0west says: Nov 29, 2013 4:00 PM

@ trubblman

Very good point. I would also add you should carry a copy of the appropriate law, ordinance or whatever in your glove box. Also if possible try to get a letter from your local LEO confirming this law.

In my travels I have found that cops generally are ignorant to rules and regs and often just try to make up their own.

17. macker1283 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:03 PM

All cops have cameras on their dashboards anyways. And I love the people who interject personal stories like anyone cares about how some cop busted you for pot and you are still bitter about it.

18. macker1283 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:06 PM

—————-

Exactly how many run ins with the police have you had? And perhaps you should make a change in your life?

19. colv says: Nov 29, 2013 4:12 PM

Paranoid but smart too. Agree with the fact these guys need to man up and do the safe thing for other victims that potentially may get hurt and themselves.

20. charger383 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:13 PM

Cops have to make their quota or “the numbers” so they look good on reports.
    To protect and serve is no longer what they do

21. rando74 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:20 PM

Ha ha ha ha awesome. Cop’s can’t be trusted. They’re more crooked than the people they bust.

22. vikesindividual says: Nov 29, 2013 4:23 PM

—————

are you serious? i hope not.

WE ALL KNOW THEY HAVE CAMERAS IN THE COP CARS. everyone knows that. but are you supposed to just TRUST that the footage won’t “accidentally” be “lost” or “stolen”?

By the way, I’ve never been arrested and have never even had a speeding ticket before. so BOO YAH to your judgmental self.

23. vikesindividual says: Nov 29, 2013 4:24 PM

on that last comment, i didn’t mean “stolen”, i meant “damaged / unviewable”. i was trying to talk and type at the same time. unfortunate.

24. lastdukestreetking says: Nov 29, 2013 4:44 PM

The cameras in cop cars are a good step but it doesn’t tell what is said between an officer and driver. Better is the “cop-cam” where police wear a camera that shows exactly what they’re seeing but also records the audio. Better policing via video/audio transparency.

25. maverick2560 says: Nov 29, 2013 5:12 PM

Some people may not believe it …but there are many police who can tend to embellish a few facts in order to conduct a search and/ or make
    An arrest. An American citizen has the absolute right to refuse an
    Officer’s request to search a vehicle. Just say no. Don’t believe the officer’s assertion that he or she will go easy on you if you cooperate.
    Once you give permission they now have a valid reason to search.
    Recording the encounter is just plain smart. If the officer gets angry that’s too bad . Why would a person get angry when another is taping
    The encounter….unless they had an intent to do something illegal .

26. godofwine330 says: Nov 29, 2013 5:31 PM

I will never forget Danny Aiello talking to Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor in Harlem Nights, “You people with your fancy cars and a nice houses and I live in a hovel.” it is no secret that there are many cops that hate millionaire athletes when they live on a much smaller salary. Whatever the ones that are in the right have to do to keep themselves from getting caught by a dirty cop on trumped up charges I agree with

27. tke743 says: Nov 29, 2013 5:43 PM

Check your state laws. This can get you in trouble. For instance in Massachusetts, recording audio without proof that ALL parties know they are being recorded is a felony. Easy way to go from a traffic stop to jail.

28. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 29, 2013 5:58 PM

I would do the same, regardless of whether I was famous/known or not. If I could afford to rum that and have it on — only to let them know after the fact that their abuse of authority was being recorded — I bet a lot of the nonsensical traffic stops would decrease. This is why you can’t get them to show up to an ACTUAL scene where their assistance is needed.

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 29, 2013 6:07 PM

romosmicrodongs says: Nov 29, 2013 3:43 PM

—————-

hahahaha post of the day!

30. realfootballfan says: Nov 29, 2013 6:40 PM

romosmicrodongs,

That made me chuckle. But yea, anyone not utilizing HD video recording capabilities that these phones now afford you are being willfully ignorant.

31. krazytrane says: Nov 29, 2013 8:44 PM

Footballwest: the point of the article is that these people are pulled over for no reason. Some athletes actually do conduct themselves as proper citizens act. Everyone should record any interaction with police. Police love to search cars, houses, etc without probable cause. Point out that they cannot legal search and they switch into intimidation mode by telling you that you could be arrested. Clearly not all police act that way, however, recording the event will protect a person if they are unlucky and get an officer who does.

32. electstat says: Nov 29, 2013 10:41 PM

Obviously their college “education” is coming in handy as they are now legal experts. In the Army we called these people sh*thouse lawyers.

33. roarmachine8109 says: Nov 30, 2013 12:17 AM

I say these cameras just come equipped in all new cars from here on out and we won’t have to worry about it when were being harrased. Camera isn’t gonna lie.

34. worknman24hours says: Nov 30, 2013 1:54 AM

Check YouTube and you will see a lot of Russian Chinese and Japanese citizens already do this because of the incredible amount of insurance fraud there.

Now average Americans are doing exactly the same thing ,not to catch the police but for antitheft and crash protection reasons.

These cameras can be bought for as little as fifty dollars online.

Most come directly from China-airfreighted to you.

These cameras use computer memory that rewrites the same five minutes over and over until a g-sensor saves a chunk or you save the recorded section.

This is amazingly advanced tech that is changing the way we will all drive our cars.

Five years from now-all business vehicles, police and taxis will have these as will a majority of privately owned cars-you will get an insurance break for having this in your car.

I’m buying myself one for each of my cars-just makes sense to be able to say to the police-” I have what he did to my car on video.”

No more taking someones word about anything.

35. ivanpavlov0000 says: Nov 30, 2013 2:06 AM

They pulled him over, detained him for more than 30 minutes, and weren’t able to come up with anything he did wrong or anything that would justify temporarily detaining him like they did.

He’s lucky he had the video going. It makes it harder for the police to lie about what they did.

36. cmoakler says: Nov 30, 2013 9:21 AM

The only way a videotaping will get you arrested faster than not is where judges have shown a propensity to deny citizens their civil rights. Making up charges is a conspiratorial endevor which includes prosecutors and judges.

37. dan46778 says: Nov 30, 2013 9:29 AM

Mmm how about that they don’t speed or do anything that cause then to try pulled over

38. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 30, 2013 5:08 PM

I think as a society we should be concerned when the police feel enpowered to the point they just pull you over to search things without a reason.