Martin will be paid while on NFI list

Martin AP

Dolphins guard Richie Incognito currently is being paid to not play for the team.  Tackle Jonathan Martin will be, too, for the rest of the season.

Per a league source, the Dolphins will continue to pay Martin now that he has been shifted to the non-football illness list.

The change in Martin’s status comes one month and two days after Martin left the team.  He had been receiving weekly game checks because he had still been on the active roster.  The Dolphins, as a result, had been operating with only 52 players.

Moving Martin to the NFI list means that the Dolphins once again have 53 roster spots.  It also means that Martin’s status with the team will be determined in the offseason, at which time one of the issues will be nearly $1 million in bonus money that applies to the 2014 and 2015 seasons under Martin’s four-year rookie contract.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Martin will be paid while on NFI list”
  1. phinfan527 says: Nov 30, 2013 7:35 PM

Way to focus on winning games gentlemen!! That locker room mentality needs some tweaking. Keep up the good work.

2. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 30, 2013 7:35 PM

Six rings is desirable. No?

3. jkibler1 says: Nov 30, 2013 7:36 PM

Look, I am a die hard fins fan so this story should be more important to me than fans of other teams, BUT I am sick and tired of this story already. Put a hold on every tiny incident from this story and just summarize it once it is all said and done already!!!

4. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 30, 2013 7:43 PM

steelersaregodsteam says:
    Nov 30, 2013 7:35 PM
    Six rings is desirable. No?
    ********
    Only if your team doc gives the players HGH.
    Steelers know that all to well.

Steroids, now HGH. What’s next Steelers?

5. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 30, 2013 7:49 PM

If I walk away from my job, essentially quitting, my company won’t keep paying me. This is a joke.

6. mizzousooner says: Nov 30, 2013 7:56 PM

Basically what we’ve learned here is Martin is a mamma’s boy and Incognito is still a meathead.

Big deal, fire both these sluggards and move on.

7. seatownballers says: Nov 30, 2013 7:57 PM

Can we argue about something else? I don’t like this story/media attention on this incident

8. mayfieldroadboy says: Nov 30, 2013 8:00 PM

I was involved in telephone conversations/textx with my “best” friend. Some time later, because a bunch of people wouldn’t sit with me, I stormed off my job blaming the previous telephone conversations/texts from my “best” friend.

My “best” friend has been suspended with 4 weeks pay, and I’m on a non-physical injury list and still getting paid. And I have the remainder of my rookie contract which keep my paycheck coming.

I’m sure Martin will still be receiving money from his eventual law suit while his “best” friend is just an NFL foot-note.

9. captainwisdom8888 says: Nov 30, 2013 8:00 PM

First off, nobody deserves to be subjected to the type of harassment and belittling disrespect that Martin had to endure from Incognito. Teammates should never even remotely interact with one another in this fashion, and I’m sure that on most teams there is a higher level of respect and comradery amongst the guys.

That aside, I just can’t help but scratch my head as to why Martin thought his only option was to just run away and hide in a hole. Jonathan Martin possessed E-mails, voicemails, and text messages that all outlined the disgusting, racist abuse that he was faced with, and it is crystal clear that he is the victim in this situation without a sliver of a doubt. SO WHY DIDNT HE JUST CONFIDE IN HIS COACHES AND OTHER DOLPHINS STAFF??? Did this kid honestly believe that he couldn’t trust anyone in the Dolphins organization?

In my belief, Martin had 2 options…

1. He could show the evidence of abuse to the higher-ups in the organization, Incognito would be punished, and Martin could then continue going about his job while avoiding the media storm.
    -OR-
    2. Martin could run away from his job and hide in a hole, ensuring that the media hurricane smashes right into the shores of Miami.

*The point I’m trying to make is that you can’t just run away any time you’re faced with adversity, that just isn’t the honorable thing to do. Jonathan Martin needs to MAN UP and learn how to face his problems head on.

10. FlashPatterson says: Nov 30, 2013 8:03 PM

He should not be paid. That’s unfair to everyone on the planet who WORKS for a living. If he can’t get along with his team then make him work as the worlds highest paid janitor.

11. fishyinalittledishy says: Nov 30, 2013 8:04 PM

Dolphins showing a bit of class for a change but then again what else could they do. Pay the guys and move on, we made a mistake drafting Martin no big loss from a talent point just a waste of a player, a pick and some cash. As for Incognito probably went to far but its easy to say that now. Martin seems to have kept it under raps and even joined in with the banter before he quit. I just don’t believe any other NFL locker room would have been any different for Martin. I think he is better out of that type of environment. I just wish he could have settled this a different way.

12. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 30, 2013 8:06 PM

So what we have here is a 6-5, 320 pound professional athlete, sponsored for a degree from an elite American university, who now is being paid top 1% of the nation wages to sit at home and not work in case he becomes a victim of bullying.Totally makes sense.

Give me an arrow Katness, I want to join the Revolution.

13. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 30, 2013 8:09 PM

ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 30, 2013 7:43 PM

Only if your team doc gives the players HGH.
    Steelers know that all to well.

Steroids, now HGH. What’s next Steelers?
    ________________________________

Wow, lots of lies. First of all, studies have shown that Steeler players naturally have higher levels of HGH than the average NFL player.

Your jealousy is showing.

14. cornerstone2001 says: Nov 30, 2013 8:17 PM

Sissy….doesnt want to play football but who’s parents are lawyers (liars) and still want the fat $. Simple as that.

Yes, Incongnito is a tool, but he’s being used
    as a tool as well.

15. cuda1234 says: Nov 30, 2013 8:26 PM

Dude gets paid for QUITTING? Welcome to Obama’s America!

16. skoobyfl says: Nov 30, 2013 8:28 PM

Is there a cream that stops sensitive feelings from being hurt ? I mean, man up son.

17. Fred says: Nov 30, 2013 8:30 PM

Tannehill would also pay Martin to not play.

18. rajbais says: Nov 30, 2013 8:36 PM

Can Martin give his next two games to Incognito???

It will save him some time from a potential grievance filing?

19. cubano76 says: Nov 30, 2013 8:48 PM

@ Fred, Well played! Lol

20. igotgamenj says: Nov 30, 2013 8:58 PM

Someone put a bib on him and warm his bottle up

21. coachbeck says: Nov 30, 2013 8:59 PM

Just cut this softie. Not everyone is cut out to be around other men in a fox hole.

Some are just weak. And Martin is weak.

22. promickey says: Nov 30, 2013 9:15 PM

Ok now the last step for this big baby who cried wolf is to be become a free agent. Let him go he’s a very weak Right tackle who wanted to be a Left Tackle.

23. purpleppleeaters says: Nov 30, 2013 10:15 PM

Martin : “WINNING!!!!!”

24. IamtheBucsFan says: Nov 30, 2013 10:21 PM

We’ll now, isn’t that just nice and PC.

25. jacunn2000 says: Nov 30, 2013 11:20 PM

You guys just keep chilling…. The season ticket holders have your back….. FML….

26. btellington says: Dec 1, 2013 9:15 AM

I still can’t get my head around a 6’6″ 330lb guy feeling bullied and running home to his mother about it. And he’s getting paid?

It’s already been said, but this really feels like a scam, and one which will end more than one career in Miami. I hope we never see him on an NFL roster again, he’s not team material.

27. fatsolio says: Dec 1, 2013 11:38 AM

Amusing if this guy was lying about the bullying and he gets to sit on his fat ass and be paid good cash.

28. mrmidevil says: Dec 1, 2013 1:23 PM

This story sounded fishy when it came out. I holding out hope NFL uncovers that Martin was just an overly sensitive whinny baby. In the end, IHope Martin gets cut and sued. Do you really think anyone wants bim in a locker room anymore???? Regardless if its with a new team??? I wouldnt.

29. jaychristsays says: Dec 1, 2013 9:20 PM

It’s funny that he cries about Incognito extorting money from him, yet this is extortion in it’s own right.

I hate you Jonathan Martin and I hope you never play another down in the NFL.