Foot wasn’t reason Champ Bailey was on bench in fourth quarter

Champ Bailey AP

When the Chiefs got the ball down a touchdown with 3:32 left to play, it wasn’t much of a secret that they would be throwing the ball often in their effort to send the game to overtime.

The Broncos sent out extra defensive backs to thwart those efforts, but cornerback Champ Bailey wasn’t among them. Bailey returned to the lineup on Sunday after missing four games with a foot injury and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was out with a shoulder injury, but the Broncos went with Quentin Jammer and Kayvon Webster for the crucial drive.

Broncos coach Jack Del Rio said after the game that the team always planned to limit Bailey’s snaps, which may be the case but the timing of the move led to questions about whether Bailey aggravated his injury. Bailey said that he’s still trying to get right after his absence, but the trip to the bench wasn’t directly because of problems with the foot.

“I’ve got to get my mind back right, got to get my body back right,” Bailey said, via the Denver Post. “That combination, plus being 35, it’s tough. It’s a tough game. It’s a young man’s game.”

Things worked out for the Broncos as they stopped the Chiefs and hung on for the victory without Bailey on the field. Bailey will have a few weeks to shake off the remaining rust in hopes of being able to hang with the youngsters come the postseason.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Foot wasn’t reason Champ Bailey was on bench in fourth quarter”
  1. joetoronto says: Dec 2, 2013 9:20 AM

It’s about time you realize you’re done, Chump.

2. salutethis says: Dec 2, 2013 9:23 AM

I’m thinking it will take a couple if weeks for Champ to get back to pro bowl form…

3. listenup823 says: Dec 2, 2013 10:27 AM

Haha.. Joetoronto makes me laugh daily!! He’s got nothing to look forward to except another beat down from Peyton this year.. Enjoy!!!

4. r8rsfan says: Dec 2, 2013 10:30 AM

Champ Bailey will always be Jerry Porter’s little bit@h.

5. youngbloodsfibula says: Dec 2, 2013 10:31 AM

Those comments sound much like those of Rodney Harrison when he looked back on his playing days from the comfort of the Sunday Night Football studios. Harrison said when he saw the speed and violence, he wondered how he ever played the game. Champ sounds like he has one eye looking toward retirement.

6. raiderseliminatedfromplayoffsalready says: Dec 2, 2013 10:43 AM

joetoronto says:
    Dec 2, 2013 9:20 AM

It’s about time you realize you’re done, Chump.
    ————————————————-
    Dude, how are your Argonauts doing?

7. govtminion says: Dec 2, 2013 11:00 AM

Even as a Broncos fan, I’m having trouble seeing Bailey playing next year. He’s missed most of the season, when he does play he seems like he’s not able to keep up with the play… Everyone reaches the end, Champ- yours is in about two months. :/

8. thebirdofprey2 says: Dec 2, 2013 11:07 AM

I thought Champ Bailey was only second to Sanders on CBs ever to play in NFL. I know football sites put out their ratings but the last 2 years he has been losing a step as his body starts giving out from being mid-30′s and playing such a physical game.

Majority of Denver fans pointed to him returning and somehow saving the secondary. Be realistic, at this point in his career he more than likely is average or below average in coverage. I wouldn’t want to see him matched up against AJ Green or Torey Smith again.

9. socalraider909 says: Dec 2, 2013 11:40 AM

Just hang them up already be with your family

10. cospgsmadman says: Dec 2, 2013 6:19 PM

I am a huge Broncos fan but I thought his only way to play this year would be at safety.