Two days after signing, Rashad Butler leaves Steelers for personal reasons

d71c1c1837233393878b3336f0ca01e6 Getty Images

The Steelers haven’t had much luck with offensive linemen brought in to bolster the unit during the regular season.

Pittsburgh traded for Levi Brown and then saw the tackle hurt his triceps during warmups before his first game with the team. Brown went on injured reserve before playing a game, leaving the Steelers to look for more outside help this weekend when they placed center Fernando Velasco on injured reserve.

They signed veteran tackle Rashad Butler on Saturday to help fill out the line for the rest of the season, but the team’s search for depth will have to continue. The Steelers announced on Monday morning that Butler has left the team due to personal reasons.

With Butler gone and Cody Wallace replacing Velasco in the starting lineup, the Steelers have Guy Whimper, Mike Adams and Eric Olsen as reserves on the offensive line. Adams hurt his ankle against Baltimore on Thanksgiving, though, and left tackle Kelvin Beachum and right guard David DeCastro also came down with injuries in that game to make depth a serious issue in Pittsburgh this week.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Two days after signing, Rashad Butler leaves Steelers for personal reasons”
  1. weepingjebus says: Dec 2, 2013 11:40 AM

Butler probably walked into the locker room, took one look at all the canes, walkers, and Social Security Disability Insurance application forms and did a 180 right out of the buidling.

2. blackngold4life says: Dec 2, 2013 11:45 AM

Call Max Starks..or is he on some body’s roster already.

3. swagger52 says: Dec 2, 2013 11:54 AM

The wise thing for the Steelers to do is to curl up into the fetal position and just submit to the will of the Ravens..

Hate to say I told you so…but wouldn’t it have been better to do that so y0u can finish the season with starters? This is especially true since the Cheerleaders, I mean “Analysts”, predict the Steelers to win the division.

4. prideof10000lakes says: Dec 2, 2013 11:56 AM

My sources told me that Jonathan Martin is looking for a nice, comfy 9 to 5 gig, maybe they should pursue him if they can persuade management to redesign the locker room into more of a nursery type atmosphere.

They could also look into Incognito since a majority of the golf courses are being shut down due to the cold weather.

5. joetoronto says: Dec 2, 2013 11:57 AM

Don’t tell me he took his ball and went home too, like Martin?

6. bengalsucker says: Dec 2, 2013 11:59 AM

I definitely can’t wait for the Bengals/Steelers game. I’m not normally one to trash talk but it looks like our D-line will have a field day with these guys. Even with Atkins out, Ben is going to be running for his life.

7. twpguy1964 says: Dec 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Thanks for leaving! Our incompetent GM never should have signed you anyway. Maybe now he’ll get off his a** and sign someone, OR TRADE for someone who can play. He blew it with the Levi F’n Brown trade already

8. islandgechee says: Dec 2, 2013 12:23 PM

There’s always next year

9. ravenswhat says: Dec 2, 2013 12:29 PM

Personal reasons…aka, why would anyone play for a dishonorable cheating scumbag like Tomlin?

Yes, personal reasons indeed.

10. blackngold4life says: Dec 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Incompetent is the perfect word for Colbert

11. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 2, 2013 12:34 PM

bengalsucker says:
    Dec 2, 2013 11:59 AM

11 25
    Report comment. Whenever someone uses a caveat like ” normally not one” it is usually a lie and is true in this case. Bungal sucker is one of the most”egregious” trash talkers going, but hey you have suffered for DECADES so you a pass you long suffering chump.

I can’t wait to see you lose in the playoffs again……first game as usual…ya I’d say so.

12. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 2, 2013 12:36 PM

Sometimes the punch lines just write themselves…

13. mshawn75 says: Dec 2, 2013 12:48 PM

Why not let that grossly over-rated Head Coach play. Seems like he wanted to be on the field the other night.

14. tvguy22 says: Dec 2, 2013 12:49 PM

I just love it so much. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving fan base.

15. bengalsucker says: Dec 2, 2013 12:58 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Dec 2, 2013 12:34 PM

————————–

Find more than one post where I’m talking about how my Bengals are going to “crush” or even “beat” another team. I’m a lifelong Bengals fan. I know how it is. One week they play great, the next week they don’t even show up. I’m NEVER claiming we are DEFINITELY going to beat a team. Literally never. I may say I have a good feeling about it but I never guarantee a victory. Any given Sunday right? And I didn’t even go as far as saying the Bengals will beat the Steelers. I just said Ben will be running for his life. Which is normally true because against most teams he’s running for his life. Is that not true? Oh and I’ll take one game in the playoffs rather than having my team at home on the couch watching them….Any day of the week. Maybe next year Steelers! lol

16. tedmurph says: Dec 2, 2013 12:59 PM

I know we’re a mess not going to the playoffs and you are, but you’re probably gonna lose anyway. There, I sure told you.

17. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 2, 2013 1:04 PM

Nobody wants to play for a loser.

The Bubby Brister Era has returned.

18. swagger52 says: Dec 2, 2013 1:14 PM

He wasn’t old enough to play for the Steelers.

19. swagger52 says: Dec 2, 2013 1:15 PM

When he found out that the Steelers were in the same division as the Ravens…he said..No thanks. Don’t call me, I will call you. Just like Brady, he would never want to play the Ravens twice a year, because that would end poorly.

20. bengalsucker says: Dec 2, 2013 1:16 PM

tedmurph says:
    Dec 2, 2013 12:59 PM

————-

Sure wish I had my flame suit on for that one. Watch out! lol Again, enjoy the playoffs at home! No fan of the Bengals will be happy with another one and out playoff loss. And honestly, I don’t see that happenening. May not go all the way but it won’t be another one and out. Oh yeah, and you guys will still be at home watching it. That sucks.

21. sbchampsagain says: Dec 2, 2013 1:22 PM

Chuck Noll is probably rolling in his grave over the state of the Steelers franchise.

22. steelcurtainn says: Dec 2, 2013 1:23 PM

Doesn’t matter, this late in the season Big Ben will get it done regardless who’s in there. If the defense steps up, look out.

23. 6ball says: Dec 2, 2013 1:59 PM

Report : Steelers in mutiny.

24. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 2, 2013 2:26 PM

the Steelers have Guy Whimper
    ________________________

I can’t help it. I laugh every time I see this guy’s name. Hard to imagine a worse name for an NFL player.

No wonder he’s in the NFL, with a last name like that he must have been picked on and had to turn into a tough guy.

25. ninevegetable says: Dec 2, 2013 2:51 PM

sbchampsagain says:
    Dec 2, 2013 1:22 PM

Except for the fact that he isn’t dead.