Lions linebacker Travis Lewis suspended for PED violation

Detroit Lions v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

The Lions have lost a special teamer for the rest of the regular season, but could get him back if they advance to the playoffs.

Via Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, Lions linebacker Travis Lewis was suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

He has apparently either already lost or chosen to forego an appeal, based on the statement the team sent out.

“I apologize to my coaches, teammates, the Lions organization and our fans for my actions,” Lewis said. “I have let my team down and there’s nothing worse than that. I will not make the same mistake again. I look forward to returning to the team after I serve my suspension.”

Lewis was a seventh-round pick by the Lions in 2012 out of Oklahoma. He has nine tackles in the 25 games he’s appeared in since.

UPDATE 4:17 p.m. ET: According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lewis’s suspension was triggered by a positive test for Adderall. Of course.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Lions linebacker Travis Lewis suspended for PED violation”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 3, 2013 4:18 PM

Did he take them by accident? Just wondering what he means by “mistake”. It doesn’t matter, this statement is just a canned message saying all the basic things. He’s not trying to actually communicate with us in a meaningful way. That’s ok, I’m already projecting that the Lions take 2 LBs within the first 3 Rounds of the next draft. There’s no room for him.

2. thepftpoet says: Dec 3, 2013 4:31 PM

The Seahawks are reportedly interested in making a trade for Travis Lewis

3. smartanis says: Dec 3, 2013 4:38 PM

At what point does Adderall stop being an excuse? Would an agent rather have their client say, “I took a supplement that contained X substance, which was not on the label,” or, “I’m a complete idiot because I got suspended for taking a drug that dozens of NFL players have been suspended for taking already”?

4. ratsfoiledagain says: Dec 3, 2013 4:46 PM

thepftpoet says: Dec 3, 2013 4:31 PM

The Seahawks are reportedly interested in making a trade for Travis Lewis
    ********
    Didn’t take you long did it?

5. vaphinfan says: Dec 3, 2013 5:33 PM

Doesn’t this guy know only teams coached by Pete Carrol are allowed to take this stuff?

6. mylionsroaring says: Dec 3, 2013 5:34 PM

just what the Lions need a distraction going into December in first place in the division

7. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 3, 2013 5:40 PM

I ‘RED FLAG’ any player who paints his face in any WWE inspired fashion.

SEE: Juiced up John Randle

8. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 3, 2013 5:42 PM

Yeah… Adderall…. O.K…. sure…. uh-huh…. yeah….

9. greenbaysucks says: Dec 3, 2013 5:43 PM

If a player tests positive for anything at all, shouldn’t the entire locker room then be subject to additional testing? Whether they just tested or not?

10. guyljr says: Dec 3, 2013 5:48 PM

I think they need to remove Aderoll from the banned list. Just so juicers can stop using that excuse.

11. thebirdofprey2 says: Dec 3, 2013 5:52 PM

The poet needs to get his mind right. The obsession is actually pretty scary.

12. joerevs300 says: Dec 3, 2013 7:26 PM

Will SOMEONE please do a PSA to all NFL players and inform them that Adderall is not TYLENOL.

You can’t get it without a prescription. Which means you know what you’re getting. Which means, they must never, ever read the internet or watch ESPN or the NFL Network (Or Pro Football Talk live for that matter) to know other players are getting SUSPENDED for using the substance.

It’s CHEATING, plain and simple in the NFL’s eyes.

However, when millions of dollars are on the line, people are going to do it. Period. And pray they don’t get caught.

13. thetruthcampaign says: Dec 3, 2013 8:53 PM

mylionsroaring, this guy is already replaced by the Lions. I have no idea who he is, and I highly doubt it’s even the smallest distraction.

14. f1restarter says: Dec 3, 2013 9:26 PM

The only remaining question is, how many other division-leading teams will have players suspended for PEDs?

15. abninf says: Dec 3, 2013 9:56 PM

I’m sure this young man can make his own test results public to prove it was Adderall. Let’s see it, Lewis. Don’t be scared.

16. joetoronto says: Dec 4, 2013 4:21 AM

It would be so cool if the NFL showed up in Seattle and checked every player at the end of the regular season.

Talk about letting the air out of a balloon.

17. footballfather says: Dec 4, 2013 8:49 AM

Dean Blandino wants this case to be reviewed so Ndamukong Suh can be fined for Lewis’ actions.

18. steveb9995 says: Dec 4, 2013 11:25 AM

Those who think Adderall is no big deal should look it up… it’s amphetamines.