Two Reliant Stadium security guards get fired for taking photos with Tom Brady

Brady

Sunday’s game between the Patriots and Texans generated a footnote almost as interesting as Antonio Smith’s misguided claim that the Patriots have been spying, again.

Via KHOU 11 in Houston, a pair of Reliant Stadium security guards lost their jobs after posing for pictures with Pats quarterback Tom Brady.

Contemporary Services Corporation quickly fired Joe Williams (pictured with Brady) and Christopher Moore after Sunday’s game.

“It is strictly against CSC policy for its employees to request photos or autographs from players,” CSC told KHOU 11 in a statement.  “CSC stands by its decision to terminate the two employees who violated this policy.”

On the surface, the move makes sense.  It’s generally frowned upon for anyone working at a stadium, from security guards to members of the media, to ask players or coaches to pose for pictures or sign autographs while in their workplace.  Absent a bright line that everyone honors, a gray area emerges that eventually will distract players and coaches.  Even if it happens after a game, clamoring for player photos and autographs is something that people who are paid to be at the stadium generally shouldn’t be doing.

At a minimum, it’s unprofessional.  At worst (i.e., as far as CSC is concerned), it’s grounds for termination.

But Williams and Moore have made an intriguing allegation.  They contend CSC doesn’t apply the rule against photos and autographs consistently.

“What they say and what they practice are two different things,” Moore said.  “What we see on a daily basis, whether it be Reliant or CSC employees, is them taking pictures and asking for autographs from players.”

If that’s true, then there’s a chance that CSC has selectively applied the rule to Williams and Moore as a pretext for some other reason to get rid of them.  Which could make a situation that seems cut and dried on the surface a lot murkier, especially if Williams and/or Moore land in the offices of a local law firm.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
54 Responses to “Two Reliant Stadium security guards get fired for taking photos with Tom Brady”
  1. glennsyank13 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:13 AM

At least smile for the picture that gets you fired.

2. joetoronto says: Dec 3, 2013 9:15 AM

Not even a suspension without pay, fired?

3. telldatruth says: Dec 3, 2013 9:17 AM

What they say and what they practice are two different things,

Moore said
    I smell a lawsuit

4. tmac4454 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:22 AM

Now this is just funny.. Even though I am not a Tammi Brady fan, I would have taken a photo as well. What player on the Texans roster would I want to take a photo with? NONE….

5. nfloracle says: Dec 3, 2013 9:22 AM

Doesn’t make much sense to me. Corporations these days don’t need bogus reasons to fire people. You look at a boss the wrong way way where my daughter used to work and you and your minimum wage job were toast.

But thank God lawyers are apparently getting involved on both sides! Now at least we can rest easy because everyone knows lawyers always sort it out so the good guys win!

6. 6ball says: Dec 3, 2013 9:22 AM

In Texas this is a death penalty offense.

7. shine94 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:26 AM

sits back and waits for the Tom Brady haters to come out swinging

8. ttommytom says: Dec 3, 2013 9:26 AM

I worked (police) quite a few World Series in NY . If you as so much talk to a player, you are risking suspension. Even if they say hello to you (which they don’t) you cannot respond. That is drilled into you.

Harold Reynolds (seemingly a very nice guy) said hello as did a few other people working the game but not the players.

These guys got fired for something they were repeatedly told not to do. Now they want to sue. Good luck with that.

9. zimaman says: Dec 3, 2013 9:27 AM

lets see would I rather have my security job or a picture with me standing next to first ballot HOF QB Tom Brady hmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn

I’ll take the picture.

10. charmcitychampions says: Dec 3, 2013 9:33 AM

I’m betting Brady was not pleased and pitched a fit to management, well, because Brady ALWAYS pitches a fit when he doesn’t get EXACTLY what he wants.

11. richiebburg says: Dec 3, 2013 9:36 AM

zimaman says:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:27 AM

I’ll take the picture.

Exactly my thoughts.

12. jimmyt says: Dec 3, 2013 9:38 AM

I don’t think they should be fired. Have their heads examined maybe, but fired, no.

13. jrbtoo says: Dec 3, 2013 9:38 AM

As a 10 year stadium, this is a well known rule.

Im just wondering why Brady wanted a picture with him lol

14. dstroi says: Dec 3, 2013 9:39 AM

This is such a catch 22 isn’t it? I mean, you have a job and there are these rules you must follow or face termination. Do I think that this particular offense is ridiculous? Yes, but I am not the one calling the shots. If the organization does play favorites and lets “other” people get away with it then thats a whole other problem in itself. But zimaman said it best. Security job or picture with a hall of fame quarterback? Then again, getting a job and keeping it these days in this economy should make you question this move.

15. iangas33 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:44 AM

This is ridiculous let them have a damn picture

16. teambringitstrong says: Dec 3, 2013 9:47 AM

tmac4454 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:22 AM

——————————————————-
    Call him Tammi to his face.

17. qdog112 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:47 AM

“What they say and what they practice are two different things,” Moore said. “What we see on a daily basis, whether it be Reliant or CSC employees, is them taking pictures and asking for autographs from players.”
    *********************
    I suspect there is a double standard. Even players get autographs, jerseys and photos. I would bet that many event staff mangers get those perks, let alone, the front office people. It’s a joke. Now the problem is to prove others have been allowed to do it. With the threat of being fired, nobody is gonna volunteer and bring in their photos to save these guys. They better have proof or …

18. DawgPound83 says: Dec 3, 2013 9:50 AM

Well if they make a Mighty Mouse live-action movie anytime soon, Williams may just have a job

19. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 3, 2013 9:54 AM

I look at the smile on Brady’s giant head, he ain’t mad, how could someone with a smile like that painted across miles and miles of giant head be mad.

20. habsfanatic says: Dec 3, 2013 9:55 AM

I can understand a policy against taking pictures, but not being able to respond back if they say hello?? That’s just a stupid policy

21. raiderufan says: Dec 3, 2013 10:04 AM

ttommytom says:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:26 AM

I have a feeling thats not the case for every cop or security detail in every state.

The uniformed cop in the Red Sox bullpen is seen every game conversating with the players, fist bumping…whatever…

22. gooboy6 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:10 AM

tell them not to do it again and get back to work…jeez

23. vcupats says: Dec 3, 2013 10:11 AM

Tom Brady is going to be responsible for a lot of people working in Reliant Stadium to lose their jobs. Since the 11-1 Texans came to Gillette almost 12 months ago, they are 4-14 and Brady has beaten them 3 times.

24. bigtunany says: Dec 3, 2013 10:14 AM

If I were to venture a guess, the VPs from the luxury boxes get to pose with the players. The guys in the “Event Staff” windbreakers don’t.

25. dualprime says: Dec 3, 2013 10:19 AM

Brady just needs to go home and leave us alone.

26. bennyb82 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:23 AM

Well Brady does need to replace his security guards who face prison for a quick trigger…

27. azarkhan says: Dec 3, 2013 10:23 AM

Stupid to fire guys for taking a photo with a HOF QB after the game. A warning should be enough.

28. stevequinn says: Dec 3, 2013 10:25 AM

Ridiculous policy. Nice of them to fire two guys right before Christmas in an economy where it’s hard to find a job.

29. thedoubleentandres says: Dec 3, 2013 10:29 AM

Theres a cop in Boston who is now famous for jumping around celebratin in Fenway when the Sox won the series, it was a great moment to be fair.
    I understand professionalism is important, but getting fired for posing with Tom Brady is rediculous. Maybe if they were harassing players every week I could understand but if this was a one off, lighten up.

30. sandersmarcus10 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:30 AM

Damn they get fired for a picture, what about the horrible play by the Texans, shouldnt they get fired as well? Lol “we stand by our decision” what a load of crap!

31. jgedgar70 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:32 AM

zimaman says:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:27 AM

I’ll take the picture.
    _____
    Spoken like someone who hasn’t been unemployed in the past 6 years. I don’t work a minimum-wage job, but even if I did, I would place a higher priority on feeding and housing my family over a picture with someone famous. What’s the deal with celebrity worship anyway? As Florio once said, “They put their pants on same way we do!”

32. crownofthehelmet says: Dec 3, 2013 10:36 AM

Gisele gave the order – image control.

33. jrbdmb says: Dec 3, 2013 10:37 AM

Hack security job for 10 days/year at Reliant Stadium = $7.35/hour.

Picture with HOF QB = priceless.

34. blahblah1000 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:44 AM

You know Tom is looking for a new security team.

Since the other pair have do 5 yrs.

So drop the lawsuit, and apply for the job.

Watch the Texans, or Tom Brady’s hot super model wife.

Just saying…..happy holidays!

35. h0c2000 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:53 AM

Donald Trump agrees.

36. cornerstone2001 says: Dec 3, 2013 10:53 AM

I’m waiting for the race card to be pulled by his lawyer.

….Give him his job back with a warning.
    I wouldnt have risked my job for a photo with Tom Brady……..maybe Giselle though

37. dbones750 says: Dec 3, 2013 11:09 AM

At least smile, bro.

38. scrp2 says: Dec 3, 2013 11:11 AM

Looks like they caught Tom Brady in a good mood after some 4th quarter heroics – otherwise cameras get smashed.

39. palpablyunfairact says: Dec 3, 2013 11:16 AM

“If that’s true, then there’s a chance that CSC has selectively applied the rule to Williams and Moore as a pretext for some other reason to get rid of them.”

I suspect the rule is selectively applied to pictures with Tom Brady – not a pretext for some other reason. If these guys were posing with Texans players they’d probably still have jobs.

40. prospero63 says: Dec 3, 2013 11:18 AM

Obviously these were the Patriot spies. Mystery solved.

41. gojags says: Dec 3, 2013 11:45 AM

Worth getting fired than working for that sucker and getting photos with Tom Brady.

42. therealtrenches says: Dec 3, 2013 11:45 AM

There is probably a really ugly double standard in place here: you just know that all the top brass at the stadium are constantly getting snapshots and autographs from players to hang on their walls and give to their bratty kids. Meanwhile, the boys in the “even staff” jackets can’t so much as breathe in the direction of a player without termination. There’s gotta be a warning system in place. People don’t like to hear it, but this is why unions started in this country.

43. godofwine330 says: Dec 3, 2013 11:47 AM

This is silly. I mean companies are finding the silliest non-job performance related reasons to fire people nowadays. The guy in Buffalo who slid down the railing, this. I hope these companies get sued. If the people bad workers ten, okay, fire them. But to say that you are doing it for this lame reason someone didn’t consider the lawsuit or check to see that it is common practice. I hope these guys get paid. I probably could have gotten fired for getting a Richie Sexton autograph when I worked at Jacobs Field (but I never got caught).

44. pacodawg says: Dec 3, 2013 12:24 PM

Joe Williams better me about a fifth degree black belt because he is a shrimp.

45. nec1est1tempus says: Dec 3, 2013 12:25 PM

Maybe Tom Brady asked for a picture with the security guys!

46. utahgetme2 says: Dec 3, 2013 12:29 PM

And another story about cameras and the Patriots…

47. bsizemore68 says: Dec 3, 2013 12:39 PM

To therealtrenches I agree with you, the higher up make the rules for the workers, however they don’t apply to themselves, kind of like our sorry ass congress, I hope they can prove that they let other employees get away with it, and win a out of court deal. Bill

48. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 3, 2013 1:29 PM

bigtunany says:

___________________________

To you and everyone else who made similar comments. Why in modern Corporate America does this surprise you in the least ?

And its norm across the board in the entertainment industry. I’ve designed and operated lighting at concerts for more than 30 years and have had direct contact with many famous artists. In general it is considered uncool to ask an artist for an autograph and there are only a handful I felt it was worth breaking the rule for and that I had an appropriate moment to do so in. Sometimes its ok but usually not.

If a given artist is friendly and offers that’s one thing, but especially people working security, the bar etc are not supposed to ask for anything like that.

At the same time, most venue managers and/or production managers have offices full of signed tour posters and photos as getting them their sigs is often part of the settling process for the tour manager. And in those cases the artists want their poster/photo on the wall as I assume they would want it in private stadium boxes etc.

49. standintexas says: Dec 3, 2013 2:03 PM

This guy wasn’t fired for taking a picture with Brady. (No mater what the article says) He was fired for treason of “wanting” a picture with Brady.

50. peruna95 says: Dec 3, 2013 2:23 PM

Most opinions have been offered regarding the case specifically. Let me ask about the motivation generally. What is “hero worship” anyway? I love watching the players achievements but what does an autograph or photo mean, really? Also, why do so many women line up outside of stadiums waiting to glimpse players? As a male I have wondered about the psychology behind much of this.

51. CKL says: Dec 3, 2013 3:27 PM

I’d be interested to know if the guys were NOT in their work clothes and were off duty (instead of being off duty but IN their work clothes like they were) would it have made a difference?

Either way, this type of rule is likely in place to keep the players from being interrupted while at work, the security personnel concentrating on their actual job, and to keep a professional relationship professional. I don’t think it’s some nefarious plot to push the “little guy” down that indicates the necessity for unions. Good grief.

52. pastabelly says: Dec 3, 2013 4:44 PM

Tom Brady has forced so many AFC East coaches to get fired. Who knew he’d be the cause of two AFC South security guards. For what it’s worth, Rex Ryan, you’re on deck.

53. skooter519 says: Dec 3, 2013 6:41 PM

I’m getting a lower opinion of this Houston organization with every new story coming out.

54. roadtrip3500 says: Dec 3, 2013 7:57 PM

This incident is bad publicity for CSC. The main marketing point of a security company is the professionalism of their staff. Would you hire a security company whose guards are known to leave posts, break rules, and/or take advantage of privileged access for their own personal pleasure? Or would you rather have a company whose guards exhibit the cold focus of the military who watch the Tomb of the Unknowns?

Stadium security involves protecting tens of thousands of customers, hundreds of stadium employees, and millionaire entertainers. If the guards are more concerned with wanting a picture with a player than properly manning their posts, they need to find another line of work.