Charles Woodson thinks Packers should shut Rodgers down

NFL Super Bowl Football AP

A lot of people are talking about Aaron Rodgers’ injury and his future.

But consider Raiders safety Charles Woodson an expert on the topic, or at least one with the context necessary to know what he’s tallking about.

Woodson, who missed nine games last year with a second broken collarbone, only to return for the playoffs, said he thought the Packers should shut down the quarterback if they’re out of contention.

“[If] you don’t have the confidence or the doctors’ don’t have that confidence in that shoulder that you can go out there and the same thing is not going to happen again, I think you shut him down,” Woodson said in an NFL Network interview, via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com. “I went through the same thing last year and I wanted to come back Week 12, 13, 14. But the scans never gave us that confidence, so I didn’t come back until the playoffs. So if they don’t have the confidence in those scans, you shut him down.”

Woodson knows Rodgers as a former teammate, and knows how difficult that would be to sell to him as well. But he thinks the right thing to do for the future would be to shelve him if they lose to the Falcons to kill any hope of the postseason.

“With having a guy that you’re going to pay over $100 million, [if] you’re out of the playoffs, I would shut him down,” Woodson said. “I know Aaron and if he’s healthy, it depends on what his scans are telling him, (but) I know he’s kicking and scratching trying to get back in the game. But having your franchise guy go out there and there is no chance at making the playoffs and you’re not really sure what’s going on with that shoulder [is a mistake].”

Rodgers has insisted that he wants to get back on the field as soon as he can, regardless the scenario.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Charles Woodson thinks Packers should shut Rodgers down”
  1. fdugrad says: Dec 5, 2013 6:14 AM

He’s right.

2. pat2452 says: Dec 5, 2013 6:39 AM

Woodson missed 9 games, not Rodgers.

3. 15starr says: Dec 5, 2013 7:29 AM

Come back Woodson. We love you.

4. kyannalashae says: Dec 5, 2013 7:33 AM

For the record I have to agree with my beloved ex-Packer Charles Woodson…if Packers have no shot at the playoffs why risk further injury?

5. thingamajig says: Dec 5, 2013 10:48 AM

But if he gets hurt again he has all off season to recover.

6. dahmergeinteam says: Dec 5, 2013 11:12 AM

I love Charles Woodson to death. He is right. When I break a collarbone, it never heals.

7. pickensclause says: Dec 5, 2013 12:02 PM

If he isn’t 100% they should not play him. If he gets to 100% he should be played- it sends the wrong message to the rest of the locker room if he is a healthy scratch, as well as not being fair to teams who had to face the Packers when Rodgers was healthy earlier in the year.

8. favreflavoredwaffles says: Dec 5, 2013 3:23 PM

kyannalashae says:
    Dec 5, 2013 7:33 AM

If the Packers lose this weekend they are pretty much mathematically out. They have a shot at winning out if the defense got off the field, Capers got his head out of his arse, and Rodgers and the offense got clicking like they were prior to his injury.

Bears have a tough stretch to finish out the season and the Lions are…well, the Lions, and until they prove they can clinch the division…which they haven’t yet, I think you still go after the division with 4 games left.

If they were one more game back…it wouldn’t pay…then I’d agree.

You never know once the playoffs start, but a realist can envision no team coming from the NFC North and getting past a first round game in the playoffs. Detroit at its absolute best this year hasn’t shown me they can beat anyone else leading or even in second in the NFC-W, NFC-S or NFC-E divisions this season.

9. revelation123 says: Dec 6, 2013 5:55 AM

Considering the Packers aren’t out of playoff contention, the point is moot at this point in time.