Jay Cutler won’t play on Monday night

Jay Cutler AP

Jay Cutler practiced with the Bears on Thursday, but he won’t be playing quarterback for them on Monday.

Coach Marc Trestman announced on Thursday afternoon that Josh McCown will make a fourth straight start against the Cowboys. John Mullin of CSN Chicago reports that Trestman said he “absolutely” thinks that Cutler will play again this season, but anything he does in practice this week will just be an attempt to get him up to speed for Week 15.

McCown will lead the Bears in a game that they really need if they’re going to pull in front of the Lions in the NFC North. With the Lions sweeping the season series, they’ll win any tiebreaker and that leaves Chicago with almost no margin for error.

McCown won’t have linebacker Lance Briggs to help the defense put forth a better effort. Trestman ruled Briggs out of the game against Dallas as well and said the linebacker has yet to start practicing since injuring his shoulder.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Jay Cutler won’t play on Monday night”
  1. wannabear says: Dec 5, 2013 4:01 PM

In Josh We Trust!!!

2. drinkdabeers says: Dec 5, 2013 4:07 PM

Well, got my hopes up for nothing.

3. thepftpoet says: Dec 5, 2013 4:08 PM

Vikings put a beating on the tasteless, hapless bears last week

4. jeffsnow7 says: Dec 5, 2013 4:09 PM

Must have had a pretty good practice… lol

5. rextraordinaire says: Dec 5, 2013 4:13 PM

Week 14, week 15 or 16.. Its whatever man. He don’t care.

6. ingraven says: Dec 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Might as well shut him down for the year

7. trollsetter says: Dec 5, 2013 4:22 PM

His time is done in Chicago.

8. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Dec 5, 2013 4:22 PM

Shocking

9. kabasaman says: Dec 5, 2013 4:25 PM

The guy should be let go. Do we really need him to loose any way. There is no way this guy is worth the franchise tag. I say let him go to Tennessee. That’s what Jay really wants to be. Yee Haw.

10. mikemccarthyhof says: Dec 5, 2013 4:26 PM

what a soft idot! it’s frigen unbelivable that BORES fans still have fath in him

11. wisconsinhillfolk says: Dec 5, 2013 4:27 PM

How could the Bears “pull ahead” of the Lions by winning this game?

12. beardownfromcali says: Dec 5, 2013 4:29 PM

McCown averaging a Triple Digit Passer Rating and only has 1 Pick? Take your time Jay.

13. coachkilla6 says: Dec 5, 2013 4:39 PM

He’s quit on this team once again. No big surprise.

14. ravenswhat says: Dec 5, 2013 4:52 PM

He’s done. That much is clear.

15. doublenickelz says: Dec 5, 2013 4:56 PM

Go Boys!

16. trollaikman8 says: Dec 5, 2013 4:59 PM

Remember everyone, he’s very tough and durable.

17. thetruthcampaign says: Dec 5, 2013 5:03 PM

“Too bad.” – said Lion’s fans.

18. purpleguy says: Dec 5, 2013 5:20 PM

I wonder what Trestman and his coaching staff have done to make McCown so dang effective for the first time in his career?

19. ctattles says: Dec 5, 2013 5:29 PM

Broncos next year. Once Peyton chokes in the playoffs they will have had it with him.

20. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 5, 2013 5:36 PM

Does it really matter? This team isn’t going anywhere in the stacked NFC.

21. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 5:37 PM

As a Cowboy fan (diehard, but realistic) I don’t think it matters who QB’s for Chicago. Dallas has no pass rush and the secondary gets torched by good receivers and the Bears have two very good receivers. I hate to say it but it’s true. I see a last minute win for one team or the other honestly.

22. ydousuk says: Dec 5, 2013 5:49 PM

mikemccarthyhof says:Dec 5, 2013 4:26 PM

———————————————————

Dude, I’m certainly not a Cutler fan, but I’ve got to say, when calling someone an idiot, you really should spell the word idiot with the right spelling.

Just saying…………….

23. dubblelznhell says: Dec 5, 2013 6:15 PM

Trestman does a good job with his QBs. Up in Montreal, he had Calvillo throwing beautifully even as he was getting older. Trestman takes the Bears job and Calvillo has noticeable struggles early this past CFL year and eventually gets hurt and is shelved the rest of the year….

That said, I’d go with McCown. He’s been solid and they need to look about replacing Cutler…..as per Wiki — “In his career with the Bears, Cutler is the all-time team leader in passer rating with 81.9 and completions with 1,034. Cutler also ranked second in yards and touchdowns with 12,292 and 82, respectively….” — another terrible Bears QB.

24. skinsfantom says: Dec 5, 2013 6:17 PM

picked up mclown in both of my ff leagues. take your time gettin’ back soft tissue.(cutler)

25. snaponrules says: Dec 5, 2013 6:28 PM

beardownfromcali says:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:29 PM
    ————————————————————————————-

You forgot the other stat, McCown has scored 10 less points a game then Jay, and has faced much worse defenses while doing that. With a healthy Jay we win the Viking game.
    McCown is a decent back up, but that’s all he will ever be.

26. nickynick04 says: Dec 5, 2013 6:30 PM

Who is in last place in the division ?
    Just asking

27. dccowboy says: Dec 5, 2013 6:39 PM

skybox22blog

I (also a die hard Cowboys fan since the IceBowl in ’66) don’t see it that way.

While overall the Dallas O line has not done anything this season to write home about the last two games they have really stepped up their games, especially in run blocking. Romo is getting better protection, Murray is actually getting to the LOS without having to dodge bodies at the handoff.

I think Dallas will be able to run the football with the improved play of the O line and Chicago’s documented issues with defending the run (they better be able to given game time temps in the teens with 15+ mph winds). If they can Romo will have a field day with play action when the occasion calls for it. Now that Dallas has officially sidelined the 12 personnel set and has reverted to the 11 personnel running and passing, Murray should have a good day.

Yeah, the Bears WRs are exactly the type of passing game that Dallas has problems defending (tall, rangy, with some speed and a QB that gets the ball out quickly), but, Kiffin has realized that the Dallas CBs play man MUCH better than they play zone so I see them playing a lot of man or press/man which should help the pass rush get home.

The Raiders have one of the best rushing attacks in the league, yet, Dallas was able to contain it without Sean Lee and with a Demarcus Ware essentially on one leg. I think the Bears will have a tough time running on Dallas and Lee is far better in coverage than any other Dallas LB.

28. frank booth says: Dec 5, 2013 6:40 PM

thepftpoet says: Dec 5, 2013 4:08 PM

Vikings put a beating on the tasteless, hapless bears last week
    ==================================
    Yes, that was a quite a beating the Vikings put on the Bears last week in overtime.

If the Bears are hapless at 6-6, what does that make the Vikings at 3-8-1?

29. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 6:41 PM

Blustery conditions! What are we looking at 16-13? 23-20? I don’t see a blowout unless it’s turnovers galore. Let’s hope not.
    I see Forte everywhere (runs, screens), short passes to Marshall, Dez, (well, all the receivers actually).
    Dallas doesn’t have Harris and Chi still has Hester.
    Kicking game probably. Anyway, at least it’s Monday Night Football.
    Have a good tailgate everyone and be safe. Bless

30. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 7:16 PM

Hey dccowboy, thanks for the input, appreciate it. Good breakdown.
    IceBowl HUH, Damn, I was one years old. Followed since 1970 at five years old (Star helmet got me).
    Anyways, yeah, besides Frederick and Smith they are very average as is the Bear line so I think that is a wash. Murray does nothing for me except he knows his assignments; blitz pickups and little dump passes, which is fine.
    Beasley has to play well, which I think he will.
    I would put Scandrick on Marshall; He’s better than bust Claiborne (hate to say that but true, Scandrick will get in your face and at least you have to fight for the ball). I’m worried about Webb covering the slot and Carr covering J.

Thank God the 12 is gone; Escobar is terrible. Hannah is a mismatch nightmare for teams and they won’t use him; I love Witten but, take him out and double Dez and they really struggle.

31. touchdownamericasteam says: Dec 5, 2013 7:38 PM

Like the poster said above, they may as well shut down Cutler for the year. The guy has played in TN in college, Chicago in the pros, and would probably rather play in TN. Who could blame him, the most pleasant experience most people have from “chi town” is watching it disappear after catching a layover at Chicago O’Hare. Yee Haw

32. nastyn8770 says: Dec 5, 2013 7:41 PM

I am ashamed sometimes at the stupid things that come out of my fellow CHI fans mouths. Letting Cutler go would/will be the biggest blunder in sports history. If you think McCown is the answer you are sadly mistaken. Jay Cutler has won 75% of the games he’s started in Chicago. That’s 3 out of every 4 games. Not to mention the passing records he holds after his fairly short time in the windy city. He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t! What more do we want? Before he got hurt he led us to two 7-0 starts before breaking his thumb and suffering a concussion in consecutive seasons!!!! With that said if we let him walk I go wherever Jay goes. This will be the last straw for me as much as it kills me inside to have to say that. I sincerely hope that the front office isn’t as stupid as the majority of my fellow Chicago fans.

33. ohnoflorio says: Dec 5, 2013 7:51 PM

2014 NYJ STARTING QB…JAY CUTLER

34. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 8:02 PM

Better get receivers in NY because Santonio is nothing but problems. I know him from south Florida and he is a big problem. Trust me. Glades Central. All you need to know.

35. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 8:35 PM

Dallas 24- Chi 23

36. skybox22blog says: Dec 5, 2013 8:39 PM

Oh, sorry, Cards 24- Rams 7

37. ydousuk says: Dec 5, 2013 8:49 PM

nastyn8770 says:Dec 5, 2013 7:41 PM

———————————————————-
    Yes Mrs. Cutler, we all know you will go where ever Jay goes…………………

38. nastyn8770 says: Dec 5, 2013 9:10 PM

@ydousuk, please tell me you’re a Chicago fan? You have all the earmarks. And you probably live within the city limits too. Please tell me what more Chicago fans want from their field general? Do we not remember Jason Campbell,Caleb Hanie,Todd Collins,Brian Griese,Kyle Orton,Craig Krenzel,Chad Hutchinson,Jonathan Quinn,Kordell Stewart,Chris Chandler,Rex Grossman,Chris Chandler, Henry Burris,Shane Matthews, Cade McNown,Jim Miller,Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno,Rick Mirer ,Dave Krieg???

39. texasmijita says: Dec 5, 2013 9:47 PM

Too bad for Cowboys. Likes to throw interceptions.

40. sampulls says: Dec 5, 2013 10:44 PM

@frank booth

If the Bears are hapless at 6-6, what does that make the Vikings at 3-8-1?
    —————————————-

The only difference between those 2 records is that one team gets a better draft pick than the other.

41. joetoronto says: Dec 6, 2013 5:13 AM

He’s so tough.

SMH.

42. frank booth says: Dec 6, 2013 11:58 AM

joetoronto says: Dec 6, 2013 5:13 AM

He’s so tough.

SMH.
    ==================================
    Not sure if you’re aware of this, but there are a lot of tough players out there who are injured badly enough that they can’t play-sometimes for extended periods of time. Sometimes, even the whole season. It happens in football a lot.

Toront0. Rob Ford.

43. ydousuk says: Dec 6, 2013 12:34 PM

nastyn8770 says:Dec 5, 2013 9:10 PM

———————————————————-
    No nasty, I am not a Chicago fan and I don’t live anywhere near the city. One of the things I would want from my “field general” is for him to be able to play a season without ending up on the bench hurt. This might go back before your time, but Jim McMahon was a good field general, but other than the 85 season, he sat hurt way to many times. Why pay Cutler a huge contract when, as of late, he is too fragile to play the position? If the head coach is such a quarterback guru, why not keep McCown for the league minimum and draft a quarterback that the new coach can groom? Then you could use the money saved by not resigning Cutler to sign some help for that pathetic defense.

44. ydousuk says: Dec 6, 2013 12:51 PM

Oh and you are right about Rick Mirer, he did suck, thanks for the draft picks.

Best Regards

45. asublimeday says: Dec 6, 2013 1:01 PM

Vikings fans are hilarious. The only fan base delusional enough to brag while going 3-8-1 and ignorant enough to celebrate playing themselves out of a once-in-a-generation QB like Bridgewater. Bears fans will look back on this loss and celebrate it as the game the Vikings played themselves out of the Bridgewater sweepstakes as he is absolutely lighting it up in Texas.