Santana Moss says officiating is “worst that I’ve ever seen”

Santana Moss, Ernie Sims AP

The Washington Redskins were forced to deal with a critical officiating mistake late in their loss Sunday night against the New York Giants that left head coach Mike Shanahan believing they had converted a first down when head referee Jeff Triplette said otherwise.

It left the Redskins facing a fourth-and-one instead of a second-and-10 after a pass play that Shanahan likely wouldn’t have called if he was informed of the correct down and distance for the prior play.

It’s been just one of several clear officiating gaffes this season. While officials aren’t perfect and mistakes will be made, Redskins’ receiver Santana Moss feels like the level of officiating has reached a new low.

“It’s probably been worse this whole year as a total, not just this team. But I’ve watched a lot of football this year. It’s been the worst that I’ve ever seen,” Moss said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Moss is in his 13th season in the NFL. He complained about inconsistencies between crews in rulings, specifically on what is and isn’t a catch. He hopes the league takes a closer look at the rules this offseason in an attempt to eliminate the variance in the rulings between officiating crews.

“I understand [there are] so many things being changed,” Moss said. “But at the end of the day, some of that stuff is crap. So hopefully somebody who’s in a higher position that can really watch this season alone and see some of the stuff that’s being called and hasn’t been called, they can go and try to critique that because it’s been the worst by far since I’ve been in the league.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “Santana Moss says officiating is “worst that I’ve ever seen””
  1. onermedboxer says: Dec 5, 2013 1:24 AM

Bring back the replacement refs. At least then I didn’t feel so cheated when they made egregiously incorrect calls

2. twayward says: Dec 5, 2013 2:03 AM

in my book, everyone associated with the skins gets a free verbal shot at the refs this week. the officiating of the skins’ final drive was replacement-ref level. have at it.

3. coltzfan166 says: Dec 5, 2013 2:55 AM

Are we sure these aren’t the replacement refs? Has anyone seen these and replacements pictured together?

4. tikisays says: Dec 5, 2013 3:26 AM

Santana Moss’s play is worse than the officiating. If I was a Redskins fan I’d be more mad at him,than at the Ref’s.

5. syphermce says: Dec 5, 2013 4:48 AM

It’s all really a moot point. It was a meaningless game for both teams so the outcome wouldn’t have mattered either way. Secondly, if Fred Davis had caught the ball that was right in his stomach and perfectly placed by RGIII, that would have been a first down weather it was 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1.

6. yousuxxors says: Dec 5, 2013 5:40 AM

I think we all can agree on the that

7. brucetrimble says: Dec 5, 2013 6:15 AM

I agree with moss. The officiating is a bad joke

8. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 5, 2013 6:24 AM

Well, I guess Santana Moss can forget about getting any calls to go his way this Sunday after the Refs read this

9. Punk says: Dec 5, 2013 7:20 AM

Team losses and complains about officials. No surprise there.

Wake me when a team that wins complains about the officials.

10. easywolf says: Dec 5, 2013 8:07 AM

I don’t think some refs understand how stupid they look in some games

11. nflgreedleague says: Dec 5, 2013 9:17 AM

The NFL executives are like congress, what ever they do to try and fix the problem will only make it worse.

12. linemanguy74 says: Dec 5, 2013 11:03 AM

100% correct it is terrible

13. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 5, 2013 12:03 PM

The refs, the system, and the supervisor of the refs all suck. But it’s the fault of the latter two. The refs have no chance to succeed in this system and under this horrible supervision.

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 5, 2013 3:38 PM

Increase in rules leads to increase in subjectivity, which leads to officials’ ability to swing games to achieve desired outcomes.

15. jacquiek says: Dec 6, 2013 8:54 AM

What I want to know is where did all these whiny football players come from? Is this the “everyone gets a trophy” generation getting out into the real world?

16. theblowtorchreview says: Dec 6, 2013 7:21 PM

I kind agree with him, but I’m not sure Santana Moss is the best person to ask “what’s a catch”