Will Beatty: I’m struggling to live up to my contract

a54b366a28487fc2d0114ae15870b0ac Getty Images

Every now and then, a player heading into free agency struggles and questions are asked about whether trying to get that new deal is leading to problems producing on the field.

Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is a player that’s heard such questions as he’s scuffled his way to mediocre production ahead of a chance to hit the open market. One of his teammates is having the opposite problem.

Left tackle Will Beatty got a five-year, $38.75 million contract before the season and has turned in a dreadful campaign that has included getting beaten like a drum by Redskins pass rushers last Sunday night. According to Beatty, the problem isn’t that he got paid and then shut it down.

“I know I came into this year trying to do way too much and trying to change who I was to fulfill the media hype,” Beatty said, via the New York Post. “It’s like you got the contract, now eyes are on you, people are expecting more from you and you’re trying to live up to it. My first big contract, I’m like I want to earn this contract, I want to make sure they know that I’m not just a fluke and I’m going out there just not being me, not being the guy that got me to this contract.”

There wasn’t all that much hype about Beatty coming into the season, at least relative to other Giants like Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and Corey Webster who have underperformed this season. There was an expectation that he would provide a solid anchor to the offensive line, however, and the team has faltered because of his inability to do that.

Beatty was able to do it in 2012 and the Giants will likely bank on a rebound from him next year because they have plenty of other holes to fill without adding a new left tackle to the shopping list.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Will Beatty: I’m struggling to live up to my contract”
  1. 8to80texansblog says: Dec 5, 2013 11:30 AM

If it makes it easier… you can send some of that money to me….

2. redrobots44 says: Dec 5, 2013 11:34 AM

Good for this guy actually putting pressure on himself to do his job. Hopefully he comes around mentally and gets back to where he was.

3. louishatchett says: Dec 5, 2013 11:44 AM

he is a very average LT, he holds every play and stinks run blocking as well. We in the Giant nation have been ripped off and demand a refund of all of the money the giants paid this bum!!!!! OVER-Rated

4. granadafan says: Dec 5, 2013 11:52 AM

Does that mean the Giants can come back and demand a renegotiation as JPP did, Revis does every year, or like other players: MJD, Briggs, etc.?

5. fwby4life says: Dec 5, 2013 11:58 AM

Another great move by Reese. Kid is not a LT.

6. nfl fan says: Dec 5, 2013 12:20 PM

YES YOU ARE!

7. maddog111 says: Dec 5, 2013 1:11 PM

granadafan says:
    Dec 5, 2013 11:52 AM
    ———————————————-
    No. They can just cut him.

8. superbowl42champs says: Dec 5, 2013 1:12 PM

Shocker he was rated the 4th best LT in football last year on a contract year

9. pnut87 says: Dec 5, 2013 1:50 PM

“There wasn’t all that much hype about Beatty coming into the season, at least relative to other Giants like Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and Corey Webster who have underperformed this season.”

I’m sorry, as a Giants fan, I have to correct you. Corey Webster hasn’t performed at all this season.

10. broncostevenp says: Dec 5, 2013 2:00 PM

How did he ever sign that contract with that gun to his head?

11. kev86 says: Dec 5, 2013 2:21 PM

He’s still pretty good and gives max effort. I respect his self analysis and desire to play better

12. hauts81 says: Dec 5, 2013 2:55 PM

He’s probably still having nightmares about Jared Allen’s one-handed sack on Eli.

13. z06vision says: Dec 5, 2013 3:55 PM

Ring, Ring………..Albert Hanynesworth on line 1.

14. z06vision says: Dec 5, 2013 3:56 PM

Haynesworth….typing too quick

15. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 5, 2013 4:07 PM

Went from being rated in the top 7 amongst left tackles last year to being next to last. What happened with this dude?

16. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 5, 2013 4:09 PM

superbowl42champs says: Dec 5, 2013 1:12 PM

Shocker he was rated the 4th best LT in football last year on a contract year
    ———

Beatty was very good last year. I watched every snap on film after the season. The rating was justified.

17. anon5121 says: Dec 5, 2013 5:28 PM

Beatty sounds like a bit of a head case. There were no eyes on him until Eli Manning started getting sacked at an alarming rate. No pass protection, no pocket for Eli to step into, a season down the drain.

That first interception against Dallas, on the first pass of the season to Wilson, was a screen play where Beatty got blown up by Ware. This Beatty signing is another bad decision by Jerry Reese who is probably praying Eli Manning doesn’t end up with a serious injury. If Eli gets seriously injured, Reese deserves to be fired. His handling of the Oline has been an absolute joke!

18. jpherling says: Dec 5, 2013 6:17 PM

No, Will, you’re just not that good. If they can find someone better to replace you, you’re history. The problem is that good left tackles are hard to find, so they’re pretty much stuck with you for now and the near future.

19. jayteee813 says: Dec 5, 2013 8:01 PM

The guy is still a young player in o-line years. It usually takes a raw player like Will to develop. He’s very athletic kid . Give him some time. The problem with the o-line this year was the injuries. Chris Snee and David Bass are getting old if anything this experience with help these young guy come together and build a solid line in the coming years.