London Fletcher says physical condition won’t dictate future

New York Giants v Washington Redskins Getty Images

A  year ago, Redskins linebacker London Fletcher was determined to come back after his body broke down.

This year, having gotten through his 16th season, he said his future will be determined by things beyond his physical condition.

“I’ll let the season take its course and decompress,” Fletcher said, via John Keim of ESPN.com. “You don’t want to make an emotional decision on how you feel during the season. When you win you feel a whole lot better about things than when you lose. That’s how you have to take it.

Fletcher’s five-year contract was written to void to two years, which will make him a free agent after the season.

But they and he will have to weigh his value carefully. He’s clearly slowing down, and his tackles per game average has fallen from 8.7 per game last year to 7.1 per game this year. And for the first time since joining the Redskins, he’s not the leading tackler, trailing teammate Perry Riley by six this year.

“Last year when I decided I was going to come back and play I threw myself into my workouts and pushed myself beyond what you would think you’d be able to do,” Fletcher said. “I don’t think that will be the deciding factor. It will be other things.”

That sounds like a guy who knows what he’s doing, but doesn’t want to make it official yet.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
14 Responses to “London Fletcher says physical condition won’t dictate future”
  1. cobrala2 says: Dec 6, 2013 9:08 AM

I totally respect Fletcher as an Eagles fan and wish him the best but this just sounds like he’s in denial.

“There are a lot of things that come to play when you’re deciding whether you want to continue to play: production, performance. Can you play? Health. Do they want you to play?”

…and he’s absolutely right: production & performance have nothing to do with physical conditioning. ;-)

2. seabreezes51 says: Dec 6, 2013 9:25 AM

Lol, I said the same thing… Turns out I was way wrong.

3. phillylem says: Dec 6, 2013 9:26 AM

Guy is a true warrior. Also was pretty consistent his whole career. He should hang up the pads though, nothing left to prove.

4. gorilladunk says: Dec 6, 2013 9:28 AM

I wish to God he would retire! (I say that with respect from a Cowboys fan). He’s been a marvelous player and I have been envious of his abilities while playing for a rival for many years.

5. abninf says: Dec 6, 2013 9:28 AM

Dallas has the same number of Superbowl victories in the last 20 years as Redskins have playoff appearances.

6. weepingjebus says: Dec 6, 2013 9:33 AM

He’s been a great player, I hope he does what’s best for he and his family. 16 years in the NFL is like 60 years in most other jobs.

7. ziplock10 says: Dec 6, 2013 9:45 AM

Mis-tackles and blown assignments will decide it. I’m a huge supporter of Fletch, but maybe the real question about him starting is that there is no one behind him better. Which ain’t saying much..

8. tikisays says: Dec 6, 2013 10:17 AM

That’s the difference between the Skins@the rest of the NFC East. Everyone else knows when to get rid of old washed up talent!!!. He should have been cut 5yrs ago!!!

9. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 6, 2013 10:49 AM

I have a lot of respect for Fletcher, he’s always been an excellent player and seems to be a good guy.

I think whether he plays next year or not depends on if he can get off the awful Washington team and catch on somewhere else. If his only choice is to remain riding the Washington train wreck I expect he’s going to retire.

10. redskinfansince82 says: Dec 6, 2013 12:12 PM

Man he’s my age and I’m telling you he ain’t playing next year unless he really needs the money. I don’t care how much you work out father time keeps it real for everybody. It’s a young mans game.

11. shatho1 says: Dec 6, 2013 12:28 PM

abninf December 6, 2013, 8:28 AM CST

what does this have to do with anything that is written in this article…absolutely nothing

12. steaderic says: Dec 6, 2013 5:15 PM

“There are a lot of things that come to play when you’re deciding whether you want to continue to play: production, performance. Can you play? Health. Do they want you to play? Is there HGH testing?”

Fixed that for you Mr. Fletcher

13. ziplock10 says: Dec 6, 2013 9:07 PM

BTW.. This was his worst year. He’s been awesome until this year. Cut 5 years ago??? You’re obviously a bitter Titan fan..

14. zzfranklin says: Dec 7, 2013 10:19 AM

“having gotten through his 16th season”

The season’s over?

What will I watch for the next 2 months?