LeSean McCoy: There’s a big gap between Barry Sanders and me

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has heard the comparisons between himself and Barry Sanders. But McCoy doesn’t particularly agree with those comparisons.

McCoy says it’s flattering that his elusive running style is sometimes compared to the former Lion and Hall of Famer, but McCoy also acknowledges that his own body of work is nowhere close to what Sanders accomplished in the NFL.

I don’t really see it as a comparison,” McCoy said, via Philly.com. “I think Barry is probably the best running back to ever play this game. They compare us probably because of the cutbacks, but there is still a big gap between us two.”

McCoy is right: Although McCoy makes some great highlight-reel runs, there’s really no one like Sanders. And McCoy hasn’t been anywhere near the workhorse back that Sanders was. Sanders led the league in rushing four times, was second in the NFL in rushing three times, was third once, fourth once and fifth once. McCoy, who is currently second in the league in rushing, has never led the league and has only been in the Top 10 once before.

So while McCoy is a very good running back, he hasn’t earned the comparisons to Sanders. It’s classy of him to acknowledge that.

Permalink 100 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
100 Responses to “LeSean McCoy: There’s a big gap between Barry Sanders and me”
  1. mancave001 says: Dec 7, 2013 9:37 AM

Classy, but but don’t say they aren’t comparable talent-wise and style-wise. LeSean has only played 5 years, and wasn’t the feature back for the first 1 or 2. I’m not saying he’s the next Barry, but they do look very similar in how they run and cut. Also, the NFL is much more pass oriented than it was when The Great One played. If Shady plays another 7 years, he may end up getting close to Sanders.

2. richardmswartz says: Dec 7, 2013 9:38 AM

Maybe he needs a dad to point out all his defects like Barry’s dad did.

3. jakethesnake57 says: Dec 7, 2013 9:39 AM

Of course LeSean is classy. He’s a Philadelphia Eagle!

4. allday420ap says: Dec 7, 2013 9:39 AM

Good man

5. fatcamper says: Dec 7, 2013 9:43 AM

Very classy move by LeSean. He hit in the nail on the head with his comments, but he is a really good (maybe great) back with a lot of upside we will probably see displayed in Chip’s offense. – a Cowboys fan.

6. allday420ap says: Dec 7, 2013 9:43 AM

An earnest man

7. frank booth says: Dec 7, 2013 9:45 AM

There’s a big gap between class and Philadelphia.

8. theptfpoet says: Dec 7, 2013 9:45 AM

There’s a big gap between the vikings and competent NFL teams.

9. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 7, 2013 9:46 AM

They have something in common…they’ll both have Zero Superbowls when their playings days are over.

10. bennyb82 says: Dec 7, 2013 9:47 AM

LeSean is right. Anyone who thinks there is anybody out there who is even close to Sanders needs to go check out his clips on youtube.

11. mylionsroaring says: Dec 7, 2013 9:47 AM

Well this is a big game coming up, and sometimes Barry …… Not so good in big games for some reason.

12. erock27 says: Dec 7, 2013 9:53 AM

He aint no barry sanders but he got the best jukes moves i ever seen . First guy always gets his ankle broke

13. sportsmeccabi says: Dec 7, 2013 9:53 AM

I think everyone just means it in the sense of the change of direction ability. Can’t really think of anyone else who can make such sharp cuts at top speed like they do.

14. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 7, 2013 9:54 AM

Barry Sanders was so much better than him should slander Sanders. If the league is more pass happy now imagine how much more run oriented the defenses were then. Also Sanders was his team, all of it, the Detroit Lions stank, the pages devoted to them in the history books stick together they stank so bad. McCoy has nothing compared to Sanders.

15. allday420ap says: Dec 7, 2013 9:56 AM

bennyb82 says:
    Dec 7, 2013 9:47 AM

—————————–

C’mon Man!

Have you not witnessed the glory of Mr. All Day MVPeterson?

16. beerbudsnbevo says: Dec 7, 2013 9:58 AM

jakethesnake57 says:
    Dec 7, 2013 9:39 AM
    Of course LeSean is classy. He’s a Philadelphia Eagle!

*******************

Yeah ok… Classy Philadelphia.

Philadelphia… the same people that cheered when Michael Irvin was taken off the field on a stretcher.

Philadelphia… the same people that booed Santa Claus.

Nobody Boos Santa claus.

Nobody.

17. metrocritical says: Dec 7, 2013 9:59 AM

In Detroit we are hoping that, for tomorrow at least, he runs more like Colonel Sanders.

18. uncletuna says: Dec 7, 2013 10:02 AM

There has been no one close to Barry Sanders…

Now All-Day is Walter Payton reincarnate…

But there is no one close to Barry Sanders…

19. steves11 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:03 AM

McCoy will be lucky to last another 5 years in the NFL. The shelf life of a running back is shorter than any other position and once they hit 30, they’re all but finished. Besides that, he’s one serious knee injury away from obsolescence. How long can he stay healthy?

20. PackersHome.com says: Dec 7, 2013 10:04 AM

As an avid Barry Sanders fan since his OSU days throughout his career, I just gained more respect for McCoy.

I think when folks say “hes as elusive as Barry” they should go back an watch some highlights of Sanders. When I go back and watch, I get misty eyed because I can’t stop laughing thinking of what is going through the defenders mind when he sprints one way, opens his arms and poof, no more Barry. Makes me laugh every time.

I wish there was a DVD that had all of his runs.

21. bishoplanky says: Dec 7, 2013 10:07 AM

I hate the Eagles, and have never been a McCoy fan, but I have to give him props for this one. Plus he is right. Sanders was just sick at RB. I’ve always said, you put him behind the Cowboys line at the time, and he would have crushed every rushing record out there!

22. Youknowimright says: Dec 7, 2013 10:18 AM

I love all of the blind eagles fans in here saying how classy this guy is. He is a complete scumbag. Did you all forget about the woman he beat up on the bus this summer. I guess we will forget that along with riley cooper’s comments just because they are helping the eagles win. Sad.

23. jjh1982 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:18 AM

You could have knocked Sanders back 5 yards and he still would have gained 3 yards, have him trade teams with Smith from the Cowboys and who knows how many yards and championships Sanders would have

24. seahonky says: Dec 7, 2013 10:20 AM

theptfpoet | Dec 7, 2013, 6:45 AM PST
    There’s a big gap between the vikings and competent NFL teams.
    There’s a bigger gap between you and a half decent sports fan. Do us all a favor and stop commenting. Just stop.

25. frank booth says: Dec 7, 2013 10:22 AM

theptfpoet says: Dec 7, 2013 9:45 AM

There’s a big gap between the vikings and competent NFL teams.
    ==================================
    By stating the above, you do realize that you are calling the Vikings “incompetent”, don’t you?

26. tushymcspankspank says: Dec 7, 2013 10:23 AM

Oh, some of the trash that posts here. Really, a classy comment by a player and you use it to take pot shots at Barry Sander’s father (richardmswartz)and Philly fans (Making you just as bad btw)?! Really?

27. ziplock10 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:25 AM

I’m a Skins fan.. Relax!!! He just stated the obvious! When a good RB is compared to the greatest? At least he can step back from the hype and see the distinction..

But the Igles are trash…….

28. lbijake says: Dec 7, 2013 10:29 AM

Shady puts the Juke in the “Jukety- Juke”, he puts the “Sham” in” Sham-a Lam-a-Ding-Dong”.

29. 1logicalvoicesays says: Dec 7, 2013 10:29 AM

I wish Lesean McCoy played on my terrible Redskins team. RG3 needs a workhorse running back to take the spotlight off of his very very very poor decision making as a QB. I am actually quite envious of the Philadelphia Eagles for exceeding everyone’s expectations for this year. Maybe the Skins should learn a thing or two about drafting players that don’t just come with hype and are actually well rounded individuals. I guess I’m just starting to realize that Washingon will never do anything relevant with the players, coaches and owner that we have now. We are just a hot mess and a terrible organization. But hey, at least we won superbowls once upon a time, I’ll just hang onto that to one.

30. teal379 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:33 AM

Barry had the crazy ability to go full speed, stop, turn and back to full speed in about a 1/10 of a second and within 2 steps.

No one was close or is close to what Barry could do.

Consider he typically had to make his first move 3 yards BEHIND his own line – I still say Barry was the GOAT. Sorry Emmit, you were a contemporary of Barry but not an equal.

31. bleedgreen says: Dec 7, 2013 10:34 AM

Don’t forget to take into account he played under Andy “70/30 Pass/Run” Reid for his first 4 years in the league. That hurts your rushing totals no matter who you are.

32. jlinatl says: Dec 7, 2013 10:37 AM

McCoy is a great back.

Comparisons are fine for more casual fans and even to serious fans when comparing running styles. But nobody cut like Barry Sanders.

McCoy is young enough he can still do some great things and I hope he does. Great RBs are good for the league. In my lifetime, I think Walter and Barry stand alone. I certainly respect Emmitt and AP (and some others), but to me they are the best.

33. salutethis says: Dec 7, 2013 10:41 AM

I’ll just pull a page out of Leseans twitter account. Less an sucks.

34. masterblaster78 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:45 AM

McCoy, you’re not a bad running back and I have to ill will towards you but you cannot be compared to Barry Sanders. I totally agree with you and give you credit for your comments. I’m not a Lions fan either, but Barry was one of the top running backs in football. He was smart and left before he got hurt though I was sad to see him go. He was a very exciting running back and reminded me of Walter Payton. No front line but did amazing things. Best of luck.

35. headonaswivel says: Dec 7, 2013 10:46 AM

Barry Sanders never slid down before contact, just sayin’.

36. officialgame says: Dec 7, 2013 10:46 AM

Refreshing to see a guy understanding reality.

37. sdffa11 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:53 AM

ziplock10 says:
    Dec 7, 2013 10:25 AM

But the Igles are trash…….

haha F you and the redskins. thats why youre at the bottom of the nfc east where you belong.

38. cobrala2 says: Dec 7, 2013 10:55 AM

Philadelphia has elevated it’s class by default… We are not murderers like Alabama fans, we’re not stalkers like Houston fans, we don’t poison or taze people like bears fans, we don’t need undercover cops like Seattle does, we don’t hit women like Jets fans, we don’t commit suicide like Raiders fans, we don’t stab like Raiders fans, come to think of it we don’t do anything as horribly has the bay area fans in general.

The attempts at insulting Philadelphia have gone from tired to pathetic.

Now, do we have a supportive Fanbase? No. Do we do our sports media complain incessantly? Absolutely. But we proved the country wrong by paying our respects to Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid with class.

Bottom line is a lot of others have much much more to be ashamed of then those of us who bleed green.

E-A-G-L-E-S: EAGLES!!!

39. sanders8920 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:00 AM

Good to know this about him. But the debate is not even close.

40. whatjusthapped says: Dec 7, 2013 11:09 AM

theptfpoet says:

There’s a big gap between the vikings and competent NFL teams.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    for once, I wholeheartedly agree with you but I don’t think your statement means what you think it means.

41. mad55555 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:10 AM

Barry Sanders has compared McCoy to him multiple times on ESPN. all of you haters basically never seen McCoy play. too bad you cannot be as classy as McCoy and admit that much. That is the truth

42. dtownsportslions says: Dec 7, 2013 11:17 AM

Barry is the GOAT

43. janvanflac says: Dec 7, 2013 11:18 AM

No he’s not Barry Sanders but in today’s NFL he’s one of the 2 best in the game. He’s a complete player too, excellent receiver and good at pass protection as well.

44. vincelombardisghost says: Dec 7, 2013 11:35 AM

And to think that the Packers took Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders. Packer fan here. Barry was electrifying and scary as hell when we faced him. Adrian Peterson, Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders have been exceptional in their careers and it’s nice to know this NFL fan got to watch all three in his lifetime.

45. eightandeightlions says: Dec 7, 2013 11:35 AM

Anyone ever hear of a fella named Walter Payton?

46. rugdaniels says: Dec 7, 2013 11:35 AM

Different eras, RB’s just aren’t as important as they once were. McCoy does measure up to Sanders in one aspect, championships.

47. azjohnny says: Dec 7, 2013 11:36 AM

Shady reminds me a lot of Ricky Water, same build and running style, you can line him up as a receiver and be enough of a threat you would have to be a DB on him.

Sanders had the bust cutting ability of any RB I had ever seen but half of his carries he would be held for no gain or negative yardage and I put that on his O Line….Imagine the stats if Sanders had played behind the Cowboys O Line

48. tabs2020 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:37 AM

McCoy idolized Sanders and respects him. He deserves props for staying humble and giving just due to one of the best ever.

McCoy is the most elusive back in the game today. Barry was the most elusive of his own…based on those facts, the comparisons are inevitable.

I’m glad to have grown up watching Sanders. The youtube clips and highlights don’t begin to tell the whole story.

Barry had some runs for losses that were more impressive than any 50 yard run. He routinely turned negative yardage into positive yardage.

McCoy is a great back but Sanders is on another level.

49. indyeagle says: Dec 7, 2013 11:41 AM

Youknowimright says: Dec 7, 2013 10:18 AM

=====================================

So, I guess kicking an unruly and belligerent “fan” off a bus you paid for is now the same thing as beating her up? Hmm….I don’t know McCoy, so I couldn’t say whether he is classy or not. I will say he was nice to my son at the Indianapolis Superbowl while he signed an autograph and took a picture and I will say this comment about Sanders is classy. Your revisionist history is more of a “scumbag”-like behavior than anything he did in my book.

50. mystro32 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:46 AM

51. billsfan1 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:52 AM

Barry was my second all time favorite RB next to Thurman Thomas. I am not saying Thurm was better than him but can you imagine….. Sanders was sitting on the bench because of Thomas.
    how often does that happen. 2 of the greatest RB’s ever, on the same college team..
    why would you even throw the ball once..

52. jucam1 says: Dec 7, 2013 11:59 AM

The envy and lack of class of the people that somehow want to talk trash on Shady is obvious. First, the deadskins WISH they had an RB as good as Shady, and the Gmen and Cowboys drool over the guy cause he kills them. Barry is probably the greatest of all time. I didn’t get to see Payton, Brown, or Sayers but in my life time, Barry was by far the greatest RB i’ve ever seen. The fact that people even mention E. Smith in the same breath as Barry is a joke. Smith isn’t even a top 20 back of all time skill-wise. Barry would have demolished all records had he had the line Smith had. And lastly, Shady and AP are by far the two best backs in the league. He is humble and says the truth that no one will ever be Barry and you haters some how find a way yo talk trash?… Classless. Regardless, Shady will lead the Birds to the playoffs and make a ton of money while you haters get to go back to your fast food job and your sad little life. I think he’s happy being one of the league’s best all around players laughing at your hate! Go birds!

53. iwpalmer81 says: Dec 7, 2013 12:01 PM

mystro says…Who ever mentioned Sanders & McCoy in the same breath? They need their head examined!

Barry Sanders did

54. vusnu says: Dec 7, 2013 12:05 PM

Being humble will never get you tripped up.

55. qmizzle says: Dec 7, 2013 12:07 PM

McCoy’s running style is more similar to Reggie Bush

56. s0merand0mguy says: Dec 7, 2013 12:22 PM

You can’t say who is better. The Eagles had to suffer through Andy Reid’s 90% pass style offense so he rarely got a chance to run the ball but when he did he dominated. Not saying he’s better or on the same level but certainly the best person in the NFL to compare Sanders too.

57. queeflatifah says: Dec 7, 2013 12:22 PM

“LeSean McCoy: There’s a big gap between Barry Sanders and me.”

Yeah, no crap!

Signed,
    Everyone

58. 6kings says: Dec 7, 2013 12:34 PM

Barry Sanders (153 games)

Yards per game = 99.8
    Yards per carry = 5.0
    TD’s = 99

Adrian Peterson (101 games)

Yards per game = 99.6
    Yards per carry = 5.0
    TD’s = 86

I am biased toward Peterson, but I remember how frustrated with all the negative yardage carries Barry Sanders had because of all the dancing he did. It put the team in all kinds of third and long situations. He was special…and it cost the team dearly during his career.

59. 6kings says: Dec 7, 2013 12:37 PM

By the way, Peterson sees just as many 8 man fronts has Barry did.

60. beerbudsnbevo says: Dec 7, 2013 12:46 PM

uncletuna says:
    Dec 7, 2013 10:02 AM
    There has been no one close to Barry Sanders…

Now All-Day is Walter Payton reincarnate…

But there is no one close to Barry Sanders…

**********************

Agreed.

But neither are three time Superbowl Champions, Super Bowl MVP and ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER like the great Emmitt Smith

61. titansbro says: Dec 7, 2013 12:50 PM

It’s a different game now & rbs of today just don’t get the same opportunities they used to get. It’s a passing league now.

62. 6kings says: Dec 7, 2013 12:56 PM

Smith isn’t even a top 10 back.

63. johnheisman says: Dec 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Barry Sanders is the best running back I have ever seen and it is not close. However, if he were playing today, I think he would he would be flagged regularly after scoring TDs because of all of his over the top celebrations.

IF and it is a big if, he could learn to just hand the ball to the referee like nothing happened things would be different. You would think I guy like him after a while would know what it is like to score and not make such a big deal about it. after all, in his last year in college he ran for 2,628 yards and only scored 39 TDs – probably the best season ever.

64. 4grammarpolice says: Dec 7, 2013 1:17 PM

I’ll begin to compare them if/ when McCoy decides to retire a day before training camp and leaves his team high and dry.

65. derekgorgonstar says: Dec 7, 2013 1:23 PM

NFL running backs better than Sanders

-Walter Payton
    -Adrian Peterson
    -Marion Motley
    -O.J. Simpson, he was killing people out there……ok, sorry
    -Emmitt Smith
    -Marshall Faulk
    -Bronko Nagurski

Carry on.

66. nfl fan says: Dec 7, 2013 1:26 PM

Perhaps, but you do have more in common than you think. Neither have one a SuperBowl.

67. lks311 says: Dec 7, 2013 1:26 PM

“eightandeightlions says:
    Dec 7, 2013 11:35 AM
    Anyone ever hear of a fella named Walter Payton?”
    —-
    Payton may be the greatest PLAYER of all time, but, Sanders was the best Running Back. Period.

—————————————
    “billsfan1 says:
    Dec 7, 2013 11:52 AM
    Barry was my second all time favorite RB next to Thurman Thomas… Sanders was sitting on the bench because of Thomas.”
    —–
    I think you’re saying Thomas is your favorite because you were a Bills fan. But, I’m sure when Sanders start toting the rock at OSU, no Cowboys fan ever said, “I miss Thurman Thomas.”

68. lks311 says: Dec 7, 2013 1:27 PM

titansbro says:
    Dec 7, 2013 12:50 PM
    ——
    Peterson gets the ball each game—you know why?

Because he’s Great.

69. frank booth says: Dec 7, 2013 1:34 PM

Payton and Peterson aren’t the same back- Peterson is probably the best combo of speed and power since Jim Brown.

Payton was a great runner who also loved contact, was a good pass receiver, and was probably one of the best blockers of any running back of all-time, be it blocking for another back or pass-blocking.

Emmitt Smith was a great back in his own right, but he benefited from one of the best offensive lines ever assembled with multiple Pro Bowlers at a time (sometimes 3 or 4 in the same season), as well as multiple offensive options that had to accounted for, including a Hall-of-Fame receiver and Quarterback- Payton and Sanders had none of these benefits, although the Bears had some decent O-lines for a short period in the mid-80′s.

If you put Payton, Sanders, or Peterson on those teams, I think it’s more than reasonable to say that they would have been more productive than Smith.

70. BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 1:34 PM

Sanders was a great RB but not the best. People forget that he disappeared in playoff games, was taken out of goal line plays, and was not considered part of the passing game.

People will blame coaching for Sanders not being used more in goal line situations, but Sanders lost A LOT of yardage in trying to make something happen, and at the goal line you don’t want that kind of back. In the passing game his blocking wasn’t that good, so if he was in blitz pickup the QB would get killed. He was a decent receiver.

71. Youknowimright says: Dec 7, 2013 1:37 PM

@indyeagle.

Ok buddy. Whatever story you need to tell yourself to keep putting that lesean jersey you bought your kid on him works for me. But I think we all know what really happened on that bus. Wake up. If calling me a scumbag helps then so be it. but lesean , riley , vick , they are what they are. Yet because they can run , throw, or catch we forgive and blindly cheer. Sad.

72. sportnorcal says: Dec 7, 2013 1:59 PM

FINALLY an athlete that gets it, and apparently doesnt pay YES MEN to cling on to him and pump his ego.

I think the guy is incredible, and after reading this his stock went ever higher with me.

73. 4grammarpolice says: Dec 7, 2013 2:03 PM

Neither one have ever been in my kitchen.

74. tabs2020 says: Dec 7, 2013 2:05 PM

“BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 1:34 PM

Lastly, people point to Smith’s OL as the reason he consistently out performed Sanders. Lions fans forget that you had a few pro bowl linemen and some good WRs too during Sanders’ career. And regardless of injury, Smith NEVER finished a playoff game with negative yards.”

—————————————————

Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were only pro-bowlers when they played with Sanders. Just a coincidence, I guess.

Sanders occasionally lost yards looking for a big play. He also lost a lot of yards when his line got straight killed. And he gained a bunch of yards he had absolutely no business getting.

Emmitt was great…his teams were superior to Barry’s. Don’t take that to mean that Smith was superior to Sanders. Smith was the better blocker and short yardage back. Both were comparable as receivers.

Remember the -1 if you want. The one time the Lions gave Sanders 20 carries in a playoff game, he ran for 169 yards…a yard more than Emmitt’s playoff career high.

75. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 7, 2013 2:09 PM

There is a giant gap between Barry Sander and adrian peterson.

You never heard about Barry Sanders coming back from a catastrophic injuries in a couple months or not visiting his children from multiple women.

76. larrydavid7000 says: Dec 7, 2013 2:14 PM

There’s even a bigger gap between your pathetic style vs. Alfred Morris. 46 is a true RB and is way way better than you’ll ever be.!!!!

77. jucam1 says: Dec 7, 2013 2:19 PM

I’m sorry but anyone that thinks Emmit Smith was better than Sanders is either completely insane or a Cowboy groupie. Smith isn’t even a top 20 RB if he’s not behind that O-Line. Barry was incredible, you couldn’t possibly watch footage of those two guys and not come to the conclusion that Barry was head, shoulders, feet, and several levels better than Smith. And Barry set his numbers in 8 years, it took Smith like 13 years to pass him!!!!!!! Shady is similar and amazing, but there is only one Barry

78. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 7, 2013 2:22 PM

We’ll take Walter Payton.

79. BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 2:45 PM

People point to the Dallas Cowboys offensive line and say it is the reason that Emmitt Smith was so good, but that same offensive line only won one game the year before Emmitt Smith arrived and no other Dallas Cowboys running back gained the kind of yardage or scored the touchdowns that Emmitt Smith did behind that offensive line.

80. BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 2:53 PM

————————-
    Sanders played touch football. Smith played pro football. Smith could outrun people, he could run over people, he could pull away from people. Anyone who remembers Smith as some sort of slow 3 yards and a cloud of dust back is just plain biased. He had a lot of long runs. He could cut on a dime, and he would get the tough yards.

Sanders was a great runner, but Smith was a better running back.

81. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Dec 7, 2013 3:28 PM

Barry was Barry. But McCoy is a great back that can make tacklers look silly. What team wouldn’t like to have McCoy?

82. footballhistorian says: Dec 7, 2013 3:28 PM

Fortunately for LeSean – he doesn’t have Wayne Fontes for a coach…

83. eagles512 says: Dec 7, 2013 3:44 PM

McCoy can be immature but he did not beat up a woman. Love how idiots take a story and just make crap up to make it worse. And while I’m a Philly fan, I don’t particularly like Philly fans in general. But it’s the same through out the NE. And for the guy who brought up Santa (very original), do some research….even St Louis would have reacted the same.

84. aljack88 says: Dec 7, 2013 3:49 PM

“Sanders played touch football. Smith played pro football”

C’mon, man. There is no way Smith puts up the same numbers if he had Sanders’ offense. No way.
    Until Calvin, there were 2 reasons to watch the Lions. First there was Alex Karras, then came Barry Sanders. and oh yea, that Sims guy was pretty good.
    Barry was magic. I’ve seen from Jim Brown on through today’s RBs, and no RB has the feet that Barry ran with.

Jim Brown, BTW, is the greatest RB of all time.

85. lks311 says: Dec 7, 2013 4:09 PM

Anyone arguing Emmitt was better than Sanders is just dumb. Stop it.

86. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Why are people talking about Emmitt Smith? He isn’t in the same class as Walter Payton, Jim Brown, and Barry Sanders.

87. capitaloffense says: Dec 7, 2013 4:39 PM

1. Barry Sanders is the most electrifying and elusive backs I have ever seen.

3. If I had to pick the best back ever it would have to AP hands down. Looking at highlights, Barry would certainly appear to be the best. His elusiveness is second to none in the NFL. However the I would argue that Beast up there in Minn has a wider array of skills than anyone to play the position. He may not be tops in all categories but his natural physical build combined with his uncanny balance of speed and power simply leaves me in awe.

88. BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 4:52 PM

lks311 says: Dec 7, 2013 4:09 PM

Anyone arguing Emmitt was better than Sanders is just dumb. Stop it.
    ===================
    Wow. Such a well-reasoned argument.

Jim Brown is still the best.

89. allday420ap says: Dec 7, 2013 4:57 PM

excellent points ^

90. ron69 says: Dec 7, 2013 5:19 PM

I agree there is a gap, with that being said Barry Sanders is and was overrated, yes, he has great highligths but also has to be the leader in stops behind the line, not even a top 10 imo.
    1-Jim Brown
    2-Walter Payton
    3-Adrián Peterson
    4-Earl Cambell
    5-Eric Dickerson
    6-Emmitt Smith
    7-Curtís Martín
    8-Marsall Faulk
    9-Tomlinson
    10-Tony Dorsett

91. tabs2020 says: Dec 7, 2013 5:35 PM

out of curiosity…who is number 2 on the list for negative yardage…

I find it odd that this is one of the only stats out there that seems to exist in a vacuum.

To each his own. But…I think EVERY one of the guys in your top ten would disagree with you about Barry Sanders.

Payton said Barry was better than he was.

Peterson has called Sanders the GOAT.

92. tabs2020 says: Dec 7, 2013 5:40 PM

Good Lord…Curtis Martin?

Wow.

93. 1ogica1voicesays says: Dec 7, 2013 5:47 PM

Bow to the almighty redskins. But honestly I think I have feelings for McCoy.he’s adorable

94. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 7, 2013 6:17 PM

Did he start off his statement by saying the letters “LOL”?

95. aljack88 says: Dec 7, 2013 6:18 PM

“2. I feel like Jim Brown is just called the best back ever because it’s safe. He is definitely in the top 5. Not sure, I feel like he was playing against the competition level of today. His era did not have the same class of athleticism and dynamic strategy of today’s players and coaches. The game has simply evolved into more of science (and well before today’s pass happy league).”

– I agree about the “same class of athleticism” when making general comparisons between players of today versus prior generations. But in Jim Brown’s case, he was a freak of that era. He had the speed and size that would make him a starter on today’s teams. He could make moves or over power would be tacklers. He was just a phenom of an athlete; one of the best lacrosse players ever at Syracuse. Imagine how he might have been if there had been the off season training programs back then.

96. aljack88 says: Dec 7, 2013 6:23 PM

tabs2020 says:
    Dec 7, 2013 5:40 PM
    Good Lord…Curtis Martin?
    —————————————————

Like comparing a Corvette to a Camaro?

I did enjoy watching Martin; a similar style of running…. light on his feet.

97. frank booth says: Dec 7, 2013 6:47 PM

BringBackTheFlex says: Dec 7, 2013 2:45 PM

==================================
    Wrong- the offensive line and TE in 1989 (1-15 season) were the following:

TE- Steve Folsom
    LT Mark Tuinei
    LG Nate Newton
    C Tom Rafferty
    RG Crawford Ker
    RT Kevin Gogan

The O-line and TE for Emmitt Smith’s first year (937 yards rushing) were the following:

TE- Novacek
    LT Tuinei
    LG Ker
    C Stepnoski
    RG Gesek
    RT Newton

There were 3 new players on the line and only 1 player kept his original position from the year before.

The following year Gogan was in for Ker. Smith ran for over 1500 yards.

I don’t think anyone is saying Smith wouldn’t have been good without his O-lines of the 90′s. I think he still would have been a Hall of Famer- but with those lines, he was able to put up a lot better numbers than if he were on a team with an average or below average O-lines. That just makes sense.

98. granadafan says: Dec 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Absolutely no comparison. McCoy is smart enough to know the comparisons are ridiculous.

99. mayers59 says: Dec 8, 2013 12:56 AM

There was only ONE Jim Brown. There was also only ONE Barry Sanders.

If Sanders had wanted to, he could have set a record that nobody, not even Emmitt could have touched. But he left in his prime and didn’t look back.

McCoy showed the class person he is. McCoy is also one of the best RB’s today. Saying he’s not Barry Sanders is not a slam on McCoy.

100. biggiggle303 says: Dec 8, 2013 4:06 PM

Shady is Shady. He’s no one but the way he looked today . He making his own name foimself. Dude is Bad!