Browns cut Caleb Hanie

53fb532bd16609a4635edc23964cd677 AP

With Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden both battling concussions last week, the Browns signed Caleb Hanie to serve as a possible quarterback for their game against the Patriots.

Campbell got cleared by doctors and made the start in the 27-26 lead and it appears Weeden is also doing better because the Browns announced that they have released Hanie. If Weeden is cleared to return this week, he’ll serve as Campbell’s backup and Alex Tanney will continue in the No. 3 role.

The Browns filled Hanie’s roster spot by signing running back Edwin Baker off of the Texans practice squad. Baker was a seventh-round pick of the Chargers in 2012 and spent most of the season on their practice squad. He was on the Broncos practice squad this year before moving on to Houston and, now, Cleveland.

Willis McGahee suffered a concussion during the loss to the Patriots so Baker could wind up active this week as a backup to Chris Ogbonnaya and Fozzy Whittaker.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Browns cut Caleb Hanie”
  1. douglasgreenbriar says: Dec 10, 2013 5:46 PM

I hope the Texans hire Lovie Smith and he brings in Mike Tice and Caleb Hanie.

2. berniesboys says: Dec 10, 2013 5:54 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m a Browns fan, but I like to know which college these obscure pick-ups played for. (Browns employ several) I’ve never really had a gripe with pft reporting, but I would love to have that info within the article. And yes, before I hear from the pft faithful, I did Google it and find the answer for myself. And no, I’m not telling.

3. noburghfan says: Dec 10, 2013 5:54 PM

I’m not surprised the Browns cut Haney , but they should have shipped Weeden as well !

4. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 10, 2013 6:02 PM

They gave Caleb the concussion test along with the other two guys, just for fun. He finished third.

5. kowallazy says: Dec 10, 2013 6:26 PM

I’m not convinced Tanney is backing up Weeden. Weeden’s performance defied logic and reason in its soul-crushing terribleness, and frankly rolling the dice on an unknown can’t possibly be worse.

6. noburghfan says: Dec 10, 2013 6:31 PM

Normally , i would agree , but we are talking BW here !

7. ballboy48 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:36 PM

I can’t thought it would be Weedy on his way out

8. Ferdinand says: Dec 10, 2013 6:41 PM

So, where to next for Hanie? He’s on the “Around the League in 80 Games” quest, you know.

Maybe he and Brady Quinn’s paths will cross on their tours and they can swap tour stories.

9. wte1 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:57 PM

ballboy48 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:36 PM

I can’t thought it would be Weedy on his way out

—————————————————-

Huh? Maybe you’ve been smoking too much Weedy.

10. NoWearMan says: Dec 10, 2013 7:23 PM

‘made the start in the 27-26 lead’?

I just made that exact same comment to a friend of mine but I am not paid to form coherent sentences.

11. minime6846 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:00 PM

i m guessing hanie went to colorado state and i really shouldnt know that for any reason. should i see a psychiatrist?

12. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 10, 2013 9:29 PM

That was the best player they had.

13. 4512dawg4512 says: Dec 11, 2013 12:04 AM

Hahaha, and just look at them scavenging for a RB after cutting Bobby Rainey…… It just never ends with the Browns…. It just doesn’t. Can’t wait to see which of the mid-level talented QB’s they blow a 1st round draft pick on. And I’m a Browns fan saying this. SMH

14. audient says: Dec 11, 2013 9:32 AM

And a year has come and gone since the last time the Browns won a game Weeden started.

I won’t pretend to know enough about Haney to know how good he is or isn’t, but keeping Weeden and cutting Haney doesn’t seem to say much for Haney.

15. dareesecpa says: Dec 11, 2013 10:48 AM

At this point, Haney doesn’t even know the offense. Weeden knows it, but doesn’t run it. It really doesn’t matter. Neither will be with the Browns next year.

16. browns1fan says: Dec 11, 2013 12:03 PM

This is as it should be. Haney was an emergency QB. Once the emergency was solved, he became expendable. Weeden, on the other hand, doesn’t think at the speed that Hoyer and Campbell do. This needs to be a test and be measured in some way for draft day so we can eliminate a Weeden from being choosen in the future. Yes, he has the arm to stretch Josh G, but lack the ability to run through his progressions as quickly as Campbell or Hoyer. And, he has come to stare down his receiver. I say we draft Mettenberger and sit him.