Philadelphia police investigate alleged attack on Lions fan

phillysnow AP

Philadelphia police are investigating after a Lions fan said he was attacked by a group of Eagles fans after Sunday’s game.

Police told the Associated Press that a 33-year-old man wearing a Lions hat and jersey was assaulted while leaving Lincoln Financial Field after the Eagles beat the Lions on Sunday.

The fan told the Philadelphia Inquirer that because he was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey, Eagles fans pelted him with snowballs throughout the game, and that as he left after the game, a group of six men surrounded him and screamed at him.

“I was like, ‘Are you guys serious? You won, enjoy it,’” the man said.

Instead, he says, the group of Eagles fans attacked him, punched him, choked him and knocked him unconscious.

Philadelphia police say they are searching for surveillance video that may help identify anyone involved in the attack, and they are asking witnesses to come forward.

Permalink 158 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
158 Responses to “Philadelphia police investigate alleged attack on Lions fan”
  1. beardinals says: Dec 10, 2013 6:19 PM

I wouldn’t put it past them but I still call BS on this one.

2. grabgrabgrab says: Dec 10, 2013 6:20 PM

Wow! If the victims claims are true, this is appalling!!!

3. birdzflyinhigh says: Dec 10, 2013 6:21 PM

I hate these scumbags who give us good Eagles fans bad names.

4. primenumber19 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:21 PM

And now you know why the vet had a sitting judge and jail in the stadium for eagles games.

5. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

One would have to be crazy to go into that stadium wearing the opposing teams jersey. Philly fans are very crass with limited mental capacity evidenced by batteries thrown at Santa. This isn’t news …..this is what Philly is, was, and always will…….just plain common.

6. flavordave says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Funny but I was at the game and I didnt see those glorious beautiful fans throw any snowballs. In fact, we had a good time with some Lions fans in our section. It was a great game, memorable weather, and a good time with others. But of course if theres snow, the media needs to exploit it with made up stories to besmudge the NFLs most passionate fanbase. Shameful.

7. bennyb82 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

For a second there it sounded like he was attacked by birds.

8. Gordon says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

They probably confused him for Santa Claus.

9. pooflingingmonkey says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

This is why I only go to games in a group of four or more. Too much beer, too much testosterone.

10. dwats says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Here, let me get it out of the way for you. “Stay Classy Philly.” “He must have been dressed up like Santa Claus.”

11. ziplock10 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:24 PM

Typical inbred Philly fans. They come to our stadium and do the same crap.

I have to say, there’s nothing like a 6ft 6in PG County cop dragging a drunk, punk blowhard Igles fan down the steps to the paddy wagon! No jail at FedEx…

Oh wait.. its a fan jail…

12. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 10, 2013 6:24 PM

Aaand the investigation is over. They’re off to get a snack.

13. coachjall says: Dec 10, 2013 6:24 PM

14. fanofevilempire says: Dec 10, 2013 6:25 PM

for sale, Black Lions hat.

15. vipod4ever says: Dec 10, 2013 6:25 PM

Not just in SFO or OAK, everywhere! The NFL at game experience is turning into the EPL of 10-20 years ago!. Stay home, and stay safe!

16. thekiller678 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:26 PM

Its Philly. Is anyone really surprised?

17. Banner Years Staff says: Dec 10, 2013 6:26 PM

Hope to god that, if these claims are true, the guilty are brought to justice. On a side note, as a Philadelphia citizen and fan, most of these “assaults” end up being revealed as a few drunk guys who started a fist fight. One lost, then exaggerates what happened.

18. iwpalmer81 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:27 PM

Before everyone says that all philly fans are terrible, the story of course doesn’t mention that the man who was attacked also said that another philly fan came to his aid and was soo disgusted by what had happened he threw his eagles jersey in the trash. Don’t get me wrong I hope they catch these guys and its terrible but this kind of stuff is happening all over the country at every stadium.

19. fanofevilempire says: Dec 10, 2013 6:27 PM

they have good Philly fans, hmmmmm.

20. baltimorons says: Dec 10, 2013 6:28 PM

Classless morons. Typical filthadelphia behavior.

21. briang123 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:28 PM

He’s lying. Where he said it happened is the give away. Ask anyone that has taken the Broad Street subway to games and they know there are dozens of cops nearby, regardless of the weather.

It is a shame how many people accept these stories uncritically simply because its fits the preferred narrative of how awful Philly fans are. This guy is not from Philly and clearly has not attending many games. If he did, he would know how much his story stinks based on the reality of the area.

I have travelled to games from one side of this country to the other and other teams’ fans are every bit as bad and if not, worse. Broncos fans earlier this year kept yelling at me for being handicapped and how I could play better than the Eagles. (I am an amputee). Cardinals “fans” called me a cripple and insulted my wife for being married to a legless person (not even close to what they actually said) and it got so bad that some old Marine went up and punched a guy for what he said to me and my wife. I am sick of people acting like Eagles’ fans are the worst and everyone else are kind and friendly. Please.

22. flavordave says: Dec 10, 2013 6:29 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

—————————————————
    Well done. You just managed to make up your own facts.

Nobody ever threw batteries at Santa. BUT 50 years ago some fans who are most likely dead by now, threw snowballs at a pathetic drunk Santa that trotted around with no hat on like an idiot.

But why let facts get in your way.

#bestfanswereeaglegreen

23. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 10, 2013 6:30 PM

Well there should be video in any event or security in any event, so there’s a problem whether the claim is true or not. At least a problem with not enough security IF it is true, and a problem with no video if they don’t have the video.

24. miltonb1 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:31 PM

At least they werent throwing snowballs at AP

25. lions4lyfe says: Dec 10, 2013 6:32 PM

I was at the game and wearing my Barry Sanders jersey as well. while I was wondering how I’d be received, as I’d heard how rowdy Philly fans can be, all fans that I encountered were polite enough.

It might have helped that they won, but my personal experience wasn’t bad.

26. upperdecker19 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:32 PM

These incidents happen at EVERY stadium in the league EVERY week!

It’s why $300 for Sunday Ticket is a bargain in my eyes. As it ensures that I don’t have to deal with today’s typical in stadium “experience”.

27. finfan87 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:33 PM

When I was at a preseason Eagles game a few years ago I saw a grown man pour beer on a little kid.

28. ballboy48 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:33 PM

It’s just a game. People need to relax

29. gergie1957 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:34 PM

Stay Classy Philadelphia.

30. 1logicalvoicesays says: Dec 10, 2013 6:34 PM

People still using the Santa Claus snowball thing to stereotype Eagles fans? Get over it and get some new material. Fights break out at most games. I have been to several games/stadiums and more times than not, there are fights. People are just trying to find a way to make Philly fans look bad. I went to the Linc this year and there were more big mouth opposing team fans there and they didn’t get “assaulted”

31. patsfan1820 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:35 PM

Meh who knows? Gotta wait til everything comes out.

32. Ferdinand says: Dec 10, 2013 6:36 PM

What about injuries? If he was hit hard enough to be knocked out you would think there would be bruising and swelling. Any evidence of any injuries?

33. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:36 PM

irdzflyinhigh says:

I hate these scumbags who give us good Eagles fans bad names.
    _________________________

What all 3 of you ?

Lol sorry couldn’t resist.

34. tooz72 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:37 PM

#bestfanswereeaglegreen

“were”..lmao..the internet did nothing but bring idiots out in droves and made the rest of us suffer with their poor grammar

35. phillyphannnn83 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:40 PM

Nofoolnodrool December 10, 2013, 6:23 PM EST

———————–
    Typical misinformed commenter. You took two separate incidents that occurred over 50 years apart and turned them into one event. FAIL! Batteries were not thrown at Santa. It didn’t even happen at an Eagles game. Research is your friend.

36. trollaikman8 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:40 PM

How is this different than any other day/place/event in Philadelphia?

37. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 10, 2013 6:40 PM

But why let facts get in your way.

#bestfanswereeaglegreen

Now that’s better the knuckle draggers and mouth breathers in Philly only threw snowballs without provocation at Santa because he wasn’t wearing his entire uniform………flavor Dave Phillys rep can’t be changed…..home of the biggest db fans….you are the champs at something ….smile it sets you apart.

38. dengefever63 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:41 PM

ya know I am unable to feel sorry for someone who wears opposing team jerseys in another teams stadium..

39. juke1220 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:42 PM

No, not a Philly fan? Serious? *sarcasm. Good thing they didn’t have batteries to throw instead of snow. #stayclassy

40. orivar says: Dec 10, 2013 6:43 PM

Seriously? We’ve been out the news for years. The puking incident was the last major thing and that guy got beat up. People have been looking at EVERYBODY ELSE but else, Montreal burning its city down, Vancouver burning its city down, San Fran stabbing and shooting Oakland fans, the incident where the SF Giants fan died, so on and so on and so on and now this.

I hope it isn’t true.

41. TheVet700level says: Dec 10, 2013 6:44 PM

Alleged attack.

42. ratsfoiledagain says: Dec 10, 2013 6:45 PM

Why does society have to do stuff like this?

In the grand scheme of life, it’s just a game and a shirt.

43. flavordave says: Dec 10, 2013 6:45 PM

tooz72 – You need a period after grammer. It completes the sentence. Otherwise, we’re all left guessing what could have been.

44. icdogg says: Dec 10, 2013 6:46 PM

That guy’s story was very fishy. He says the good Samaritan that came to his rescue was so disgusted with what he saw that he ripped off his Eagles jersey and threw it out. No one really does that. That was enough for me to call BS on the whole story.

45. eastofmissball says: Dec 10, 2013 6:46 PM

So much for plain clothed cops. You can’t see a large group of idiots pelting snowballs all game long. And then kick these morons out.

46. jredshoes says: Dec 10, 2013 6:46 PM

“Mr Blutarsky, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life” (or at ANY opposing team’s stadium)

47. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Normally I would ask “Did 49ers fans get lost in Philly”?

But it is actually very believable that Philly fans did something like this.

Lions fans aren’t much better, who can forget “Shawn Payton” saying “Hi, I want you to relay a message to the sideline: If your stupid Southern team keeps winning, there will be reper…severe consequences, OK?”

48. eagles7to10 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:50 PM

Tooz, while his grammar may have been off, his point is 100% correct.

49. lunchtimeallday says: Dec 10, 2013 6:51 PM

That’s why the Vet was an opposing place for the visiting team. Now the link will be the same and we can start winning home games again. In 2 weeks for the Sunday night game Collinsworth better hope it doesn’t snow because snow balls will be flying in the box. #fearphilly

50. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 10, 2013 6:52 PM

The victim assumes they were Eagles fans because they all seemed to be from Philly and played for the Flyers.

51. jeffsnow7 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:52 PM

I was at this game… didnt wear lions gear… for the most part philly fans were cool but a few drunk fans looked at me as if they were confused that I was a Lions Fan and looked like they were trying to start something… but it all ended well

52. newjerseygiants says: Dec 10, 2013 6:52 PM

He should have attended the game “Incognito”.

53. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 10, 2013 6:53 PM

While I love Philly & my many visits there have been great, there’s zero chance I’ll go to a Philly football game. I went to some phillies’ games in full Braves gear and had no problems-at most light S-talking.

54. s0merand0mguy says: Dec 10, 2013 6:55 PM

Everybody will rib the eagles fan base for this but it happens EVERYWHERE with EVERY TEAM. It’s a headline here because of clicks the topic will generate for the media demons like this site “eagles fans assault lions fan”. We get a bad rap because of the snowball situation ages ago… But let’s be honest. You don’t hear reports every week so again this is the media blowing up a story for clicks. Anything with fans fighting in Philly or Oakland ALWAYS will make headlines due to the past. Get over it…

And just curious…. I thought Detriot was a big bad tough city? I guess not everybody is a big bad tough criminal like tv makes them out to be… oh wait…… same situation in Philly.. hrmmm

55. eastofmissball says: Dec 10, 2013 6:56 PM

So glad I invested the cash I used to spend going to Phili games this year, for a great big plasma… Best money ever spent. I only miss some drunk dude pissing on my shoes…

56. phillysports1 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:56 PM

This is true guys , it came on the news .

57. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:57 PM

The Lions fan will ironically Suh for pain and suffering.

58. 1rockyracoon says: Dec 10, 2013 7:00 PM

He claims fans were throwing snow balls at him the entire game. Security would have been all over any one throwing snowballs at another fan. Story sounds a little weak. I’m surprised he didn’t claim he was targeted for the so called “knock out game.”

59. pv1960 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:01 PM

Proud Philly fan. I hope the six men who did this get caught and go to jail. A few rotten apples ruin it for the rest.

60. officialgame says: Dec 10, 2013 7:03 PM

This shouldn’t happen and I hope they catch the perps. That being said I learned a long time ago to go into opposing stadiums uncolored and keeping it low key. Its either that or body armor and an uzi.

61. gustwo says: Dec 10, 2013 7:03 PM

No group is more disgusted with the behavior of a few ignorant drunks Eagle fans than the vast majority of Eagle fans. Many of us go with our friends, wives and children and have no tolerance for foul mouth, aggressive, abusive drunks, and, if you’re so familiar with our behavior, you would know we’re the first ones to confront the idiots. The poster who stated that the area in question is heavily policed is correct. Someone “may” have got in a punch or two, but not the beat down that was described. People who think the Eagles fan base are populated by animals will believe what want, regardless of fact. As a point, no one ever threw batteries at Santa Claus !

62. birdbrainsnj says: Dec 10, 2013 7:03 PM

I’ve been going to every home game for ten years. Do opposing fans get heckled? Absolutely. Just like I am when I go to the giants or redskins stadium. Have I ever witnessed a opposing fan at the Linc assaulted? No. There’s 70,000 people at these games and once in a while one or two do something over the line. It happens in every stadium. These brainless idiots who have probably never been to Philly that make these ridiculous “battery” “snowball and Santa” comments drive me crazy! The Santa incident happened 40 some years ago!! Christ half those fans are dead! Stop with the Philly trashing every time some reject crosses the line. It happens in every god damn city!!!

63. narfmoo12 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:04 PM

So wait…

1. He was by himself in Lions jersey and went to the game by himself?

2. Despite constant snow balls hitting him during the game, he told nobody?

3. While 60,000 people left the stadium, he was beaten unconscious by a group of Eagles fans, but nobody, including the hundreds of cops, saw a thing, except one Eagles fan?

4. That one Eagles fan threw his $100 jersey in the trash?

5. The subway station is literally right outside the stadium and full of police officers, who yet again saw nothing?

64. 26predator says: Dec 10, 2013 7:05 PM

Attacking someone for the colors they’re wearing is pathetic. Alcohol is no excuse.

65. baltimoresnativeson says: Dec 10, 2013 7:08 PM

3 places you don’t wear your opposing jersey unless you have 5 or more buddies with you.

Philly
    Cleveland
    Oakland

Its not about rights, or courage, or team pride. Its about being smart. Same reason you don’t walk through a rough neighborhood with a clip of cash in your hand.

Be smart people.

66. philadelphialovescheesteaks says: Dec 10, 2013 7:08 PM

At 4:30 after an eagles game with 40,000+ leaving the stadium and NO witnesses? BS. Cops are all over that area

67. boogymanoflamancha says: Dec 10, 2013 7:09 PM

Murders in multiple stadiums over the past few years…but throwing snowballs at a guy in a Santa suit is what people remember?

68. daytonaken says: Dec 10, 2013 7:09 PM

Goodel fines Suh $50,000, just because.

69. rjth2012 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:11 PM

As a Philadelphia fan I want to wait and see if this story IS TRUE??? I don’t know yet but something does not seem right with his story.
    ***Every stadium has it’s share of dopes*** and as a long time season ticket holder there are about 10% of the crowd that gets really hammered which leads to problems. No different then almost all other venues. The Philly thing is really old and that is why Florio posted it. There were many problems this past weekend in multiple cities but he chose Philadelphia.
    Living my whole life in a suburb of Philadelphia I am well aware of the absolutely safe/gorgeous suburbs surrounding the city. Many areas of Philadelphia are absolutely gorgeous (and safe) as well. The USA history here is incredible so never let that stop you from visiting. I could on but like any big city (#6 in population) the city has it’s blight but overall it is a great place to live.

70. jburk003 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:11 PM

There’s always a few bad apples in each crowd.. But when you cannot feel safe about wearing team apparel, that’s bad.

71. vikinganswer says: Dec 10, 2013 7:11 PM

Way to go Eagle fans. You continue to be the lowest form of human beings on earth. Stay classy Philly!!! Oh wait, that doesn’t work since class and Philly don’t ever mix. Way to be OAKLAND of the NFC.

72. smilesaustin says: Dec 10, 2013 7:12 PM

There are bad apples in every bunch, but the Eagles fan base has a lot more scumbags than any other team’s fan base. These are the people who were cheering and clapping when Michael Irvin’s lifeless body was carted off the field in his last NFL game. Never in my life ever since that day (or before it, for that matter) have I seen such a disgusting display of mass scumbaggery.

73. redandgoldhitman52 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:12 PM

zero rings, so of course there pissed off and take it out on other fans

74. frank booth says: Dec 10, 2013 7:14 PM

birdzflyinhigh says: Dec 10, 2013 6:21 PM

I hate these scumbags who give us good Eagles fans bad names.
    ==================================
    Those WERE the good Eagles fans.

75. narfmoo12 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:14 PM

baltimoresnativeson says: Dec 10, 2013 7:08 PM

Philly
    Cleveland
    Oakland

Be smart people.

——————————

You’re wrong, and it’s hilarious that someone from BALTIMORE is commenting about violence in any other city.

76. loucella1 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:16 PM

I’m an Eagles season ticket holder for several years and in the modern-era of Eagles football, I can honestly say that the only opposing fans who get attacked PROVOKE it.

77. vikinganswer says: Dec 10, 2013 7:16 PM

I would wear my Viking gear with my friends at a game in Philly and good luck doing anything about it. At Viking games, I control my area. If a visiting fan is not bringing on the grief himself, I TELL the fans to back off. If he is obnoxious and rude, he is on his own.

78. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Dec 10, 2013 7:18 PM

Does this really surprise anyone?

79. frank booth says: Dec 10, 2013 7:20 PM

vikinganswer says: Dec 10, 2013 7:16 PM

==================================In what section are you an usher?

80. narfmoo12 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:21 PM

It could be worse… He could have been:

1. A female Patriots fan at a Jets game.
    2. A 49ers fan at a Raiders game.
    3. The refs at a Browns game
    4. Anyone at a Kansas City Chiefs game.
    5. Cliff Lee’s wife at a Yankees game (Being spit on at Yankee stadium is why her husband signed with Philly instead of the Yanks)
    6. A Giants fan at a Dodgers game.

Wow… the list could go on and on, but I guess a huge liar making up a story is the worst!

81. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Dec 10, 2013 7:22 PM

It is quite possible that the clever might use this as a ruse, you cannot put anything on the devious.

82. mhm0428 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:23 PM

You people that use the Santa Claus thing are just lazy. That happened over 50 years ago, so most on this thread were probably not alive. The battery thing was the Phillies and JD Drew which has to be at least 1o years ago because that was at the Vet. Most people who are commenting negatively have probably never been in the Linc. The talk around here is that the Linc is a problem because it’s too corporate and the intensity level isn’t there.

83. yetimonster says: Dec 10, 2013 7:23 PM

“This would never happen at Candlestick! Was the Lions fan wearing a Santa hat and a beard?”

Yea, instead they murder fans for wearing the wrong jersey. Happened 2011 at Candlestick.

get over the Santa thing, it happened 40 years ago.

84. dynamitelarry says: Dec 10, 2013 7:24 PM

People love to act like Eagles fans are the only fans who ever did or said anything wrong or offensive. Unfortunately, those same people love to pretend that their team wears a halo made of pure gold and they never do anything wrong. It’s not simply Philadelphia but I guess it’s really easy to just join in with the chorus and post outdated comments about Santa, Super Bowls and filth. These were a few drunk guys looking for trouble, not the entire Eagles organization, not the entire fan base for the Eagles, not the entire city of Philadelphia.

85. uberMensch() says: Dec 10, 2013 7:24 PM

As a football fan, I like to tease fans of other teams on occasion, but to physically assault someone just because they are wearing their favorite teams colors is beyond belief. Add this to the notorious reputation of the Philly sports fan.

This is why Philadelphia will never win a Superbowl…

86. lionsdraftguy says: Dec 10, 2013 7:26 PM

I joined an eagles forum just to talk football once and they had zero class then, so this doesn’t surprise me.

87. jschmus says: Dec 10, 2013 7:28 PM

Typical Eagles fans. I grew up in South Jersey 10 miles from The Vet. Being a Vikings fan I use to go to as many Eagles Vikings games as possible until I could not take it any more. NO CLASS & WHITE TRASH. That’s as you have to say.

88. pipelayer says: Dec 10, 2013 7:31 PM

Easy fix
    Stay the hell out of the Linc idiots.

89. balldawk says: Dec 10, 2013 7:31 PM

Eagles tix holder. Other fans come in & treated fine, lil stone busting. You act like an a-hole & you’re at risk. I’d bet the house he provoked. It. At least they don’t stab people like in Cali

90. richndc says: Dec 10, 2013 7:39 PM

Who knows what really happened. I can say this. I worked at the old Texas Stadium for 4 years and most Eagle fans seem more concerned with ruining everyone else’s good time, rather than root for their team or enjoy the game. Human garbage, most of them. 5 of them once tried jumping me in the bathroom once. These were grown men. Of course they found out the hard way the 6’8″ redneck in the corner was my little brother. It’s the only way these true tough guys know how to fight. Sorry. But I saw very few exceptions to to this rule. 5 or 6 on one seems to be their way.

91. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 10, 2013 7:43 PM

Stupidity is contagious.

92. metintodd says: Dec 10, 2013 7:45 PM

I wouldn’t be caught dead at a football game, especially in Philadelphia. It’s a mob mentality. Young guys, probably out of work, living in their mother’s basement. Or they hate their dead end McJobs that pay next to nothing. They hate their lives. All they have to live for is the Iggles. That’s all they think about all week, they drink all morning and they’re probably plastered during the game as well. There’s your typical football fan in 2013.

93. theboondoggles says: Dec 10, 2013 7:45 PM

Been to games at three different stadiums and its always like this for fans of the visiting team. I enjoy going to games, but its just not worth the time or money anymore. Sunday Ticket is $225 for the entire season. Just to go to a single game with my wife or son, I’d spend at least that much.

Pass, pass, pass.

94. dukeearl says: Dec 10, 2013 7:48 PM

Ancient Rome was better… sheesh….
    I am not picking on Eagles or any other team.
    Go have fun, don’t try to ruin anybody else’s day.
    No idea whether this particular story is true or not. Seems to be plenty similar incidents happening everywhere.

95. heauxbeaux44 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:49 PM

eagles are garbage…fans, team, etc….never won a SB…..what a friggin joke….

96. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Dec 10, 2013 7:55 PM

This one smells fishy…

I’ll believe it if I see the surveillance tape…..

97. phillyphannnn83 says: Dec 10, 2013 7:58 PM

I grew up in south Jersey too and I say good riddance to you. We don’t need people like you who don’t support their home team. Let me guess, you chose the Vikings because you like their colors huh?

98. ws3rd says: Dec 10, 2013 7:58 PM

This is as surprising as hearing the sun rises and sets every day.

Philadelphia fans are, without a doubt, the biggest group of overweight, alcoholic, brain-dead, classless knuckle-dragging neanderthals that ever roamed the planet.

How about the drunk slob of a Phillies fan a few years back who stuck his finger down his throat so he could puke on a fan and his 12-year old son? Boy, that’s class!

I am actually hoping the Eagles finally DO win the Super Bowl, because their fans are such mouthbreathing morons they’ll end up burning down their own city and its window-licking inhabitants. That will then enhance the gene pool for generations to come.

“…we don’t need no water let the mother f**ker burn!”

99. bcajun says: Dec 10, 2013 7:59 PM

It was Chip Kelly

100. upperdecker19 says: Dec 10, 2013 8:10 PM

Goodell threatens to send all games to London in the name of fan safety

101. corky2141 says: Dec 10, 2013 8:12 PM

Jets fan (a man) punches female NE fan in face.
    Man murdered after game at Arrowhead.
    London Fletchers family assaulted at Factory of Sadness.
    Raiders/ 49ers cant play in preseason anymore after brawls in stadium/ 2 shot outside CANDLESTICK.
    2 fans get bottles smashed over heads in San Diego (Dallas fans).
    Man gets yelled at by eagles fans….
    One of these things is not like the other. but everybody is right we are scumbags and Santa got hit with snowballs… 3 stadiums & 6 decades ago.

102. iggles07 says: Dec 10, 2013 8:18 PM

Well done Florio. As usual you leave out important information like the fact that an Eagles fan came to this guys aid? I guess that wasn’t relevant to the picture you were painting?

This guy’s story just doesn’t add up. Sooo he went to the game by himself wearing a Lions jersey? Was pelted by snowballs throughout the game regardless of the massive amount of security that doesn’t even remotely allow that to happen? Then with 60,000 people leaving the stadium at the same time, apparently he was attacked by 6 hooligans and only ONE other person saw this take place? This good Samaritan then throws his own eagles jersey in the trash?

Yep – totally adds up. No need to wait for them to actually look into the validity of this guys claims. It’s so much easier to regurgitate the same old santa/batteries comments and pretend the rest of the fans in every single stadium can do no wrong.

103. hisgirlgotburrelled says: Dec 10, 2013 8:28 PM

yes, Philadelphia fans are the “lowest of low”… we’re the only ones with a few idiots…

104. Youknowimright says: Dec 10, 2013 8:32 PM

The city of brotherly idiots strikes again. You have to think that the lack of championships they have is karma for the morons that cheer for those teams. I hope they get the people responsible for this.

105. rexadelphia8 says: Dec 10, 2013 8:33 PM

Fly eagles fly, on the road to beat your ass

106. trytobnimble says: Dec 10, 2013 8:37 PM

In LA, San Francisco, and Oakland, opposing fans are stabbed, shot, murdered, and beaten into comas. And that’s just for baseball games! Once again, the mouth breathing, PFT planet knuckleheads misappropriate their outrage, dissing a city like Philadelphia whose fans only crime was booing a skinny santa claus who was drunk and dressed like Dan Akroyd in Trading Places. boo flippin hoo.

107. mickton says: Dec 10, 2013 8:37 PM

einsteins like that are the reason I enjoy my team on the nfl sunday ticket.

108. ws3rd says: Dec 10, 2013 8:38 PM

@iggles07: Of COURSE an Eagles fan came to his aid. The stadium was 99% Eagles FANS!!! Should we give one of the few humans amongst the great uncivilized crowd a medal? Let’s make HIM the hero, instead of damning the savages that did it.

The mentality of the Philadelphia fan defies logic, intelligence and sanity.

109. bensstinkyfingers says: Dec 10, 2013 8:46 PM

If this guy’s story is true, then shame on the scumbags that did it. Karma has a way to play it’s self out with people like this. I used to think Detroit was the armpit of the United States, but Philly appears to be worse. I don’t recall hearing anything good about that city, except for their cheesesteaks, and a scene from “Rocky”. Although, I feel really bad for the victim, and no one should be physically harmed over their team support, You have to know that if you wear opposing teams colors to home team’s stadium you are more than likely to get some grief from home team fans. How you react, to that may determine whether or not the punks want to take it to the next level. You have to be aware of your surroundings in that situation, and stay in a crowd with other lions fans, or stay in view of police / security when leaving the stadium. This is why most fans prefer to watch at home and keep their kids as far away from stadiums as possible.

110. iggles07 says: Dec 10, 2013 8:49 PM

ws3rd – so you feel this guys story totally adds up right? Lions fan goes to the game completely alone…pelted by snowballs in a stadium that has security all over the place and literally kicks out anyone who is throwing anything….and the eagles fan than helped him throws away his own jersey? Who does that?

If he legitimately was attacked, I hope they throw the book at them. I just don’t think the guys story adds up. God forbid I don’t just believe every story I hear. Its not like people ever lie or anything like that right?

But go on, continue to act as though eagles fans are the worst in society. Every other stadium is packed with angels.

111. nfl fan says: Dec 10, 2013 8:56 PM

Dec 10, 2013 7:16 PM
    ——————————————————–
    Sorry, you’re wrong and I witnessed it first hand. Ask the 6-year old boy in the bathroom that was harassed by eagles fans because he was wearing opposing colors. While a few eagles fans and I came to his safety, most did not.

You’ve earned the reputation you have, it’s well deserved and you continue to wear it proudly like a badge of honor.

112. iggles07 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:01 PM

One more point – he says he was sitting in the first row seats right behind the eagles bench and was being pelted with snowballs throughout the game.

You really think security wouldn’t have noticed a guy getting pelted with snowballs sitting right behind the eagles bench? REALLY?

Yep, totally legit.

113. jpk6044 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:02 PM

jredshoes says: Dec 10, 2013 6:46 PM

————————————————–

Dean Wormer was addressing Kent “Flounder” Dorfman not John “Bluto” Blutarsky when he spoke his famous line.

And the line was, “fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.”

114. doublenickelz says: Dec 10, 2013 9:21 PM

ANY Eagles Fan who comes on here and says how innocent they are are telling Bold Face Lies! The people who say its impossible to happen because of security etc leave out one important detail. The cops and security are the same as the fans. LOWLIFE creatures who crawl out from under their rocks on Sunday to berate and ridecule all who are in their way!! Remember, these are the same animals who pelted Santa Claus with Snowballs. Guess he too was wearing the wrong Colors.

115. djzato says: Dec 10, 2013 9:23 PM

Been to several games this season at the Linc, to include the Dallas game where we got whooped. There were many Dallas fans with jerseys on and I was shocked at how little these fans were getting harassed. Same with the Redskins game, there were many Redskins fans there and there were no issues. I say this guy is blowing it out of proportion, because we could honestly care less about the Lions. They have never, nor ever will be, considered a threat.

116. bullpuppy552 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:30 PM

Wow 6 Eagle fans on one Lions fan. Yeah real fair fight. What a bunch of dirtbags. Gives Philly a real good image.

117. baltimoresnativeson says: Dec 10, 2013 9:33 PM

Philly
    Cleveland
    Oakland

Be smart people.

——————————

_________________________________________________________

No my friend, your wrong. Violence in a city and violence at a stadium are two totally different things. Statistically Baltimore city and Detroit have more violence. But ask yourself, how many times have you heard of violence at ravens stadium compared to Cleveland or Philly?

Baltimore as a city is more violent, but your FOOTBALL FANS ARE MORE VIOLENT than ours.

118. yevrag3535 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:34 PM

It happens everywhere , get over it. It sucks but it is the world people…

119. yevrag3535 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:37 PM

Skins fans beat them selves up and lost!

120. nickynick04 says: Dec 10, 2013 9:46 PM

Philadelphia…….
    Same old same old.
    This is why the football gods will NEVER allow the Eagles a Super Bowl victory,
    Same goes with the ever so classy Viking fans.
    Philly football fans…the lowest of the low.
    With the Viking fans right behind them.
    How many Super Bowl victories between them….do the math…..

121. SparkyGump says: Dec 10, 2013 9:56 PM

I’ve had friends get spit on by Eagles fans at Philly. Although, I’d love to go to a game there, I’m not going to drive all that way and spend all that money just to get in a fist fight. I’ve been at more than a few opposing team’s stadiums and I’ve never had any trouble besides some ribbing. If some drunken fool ever spit on my wife at one of those games, I’d be the one going to jail, the perp would have to go to the hospital first.

122. whatjusthapped says: Dec 10, 2013 10:03 PM

I have attended NFL football games in approximately 16 -18 different stadiums over the years and I can say with any hesitation that the Philly fans were the worst. They were the most vulgar, confrontational, and obnoxious fans I ever saw. They went so far as to push aside a very pregnant woman because her husband was wearing the jersey of an opposing team.

123. securb2013 says: Dec 10, 2013 10:06 PM

nfl fan says:
    Dec 10, 2013 7:16 PM
    ——————————————————–

I was walking through the Linc parking lot with my wife at 10 AM and two staggering drunken Eagles fans started swearing at me an telling me they were going to beat me down for wearing a Dolphins shirt. I walked away for my wife’s sake, if I was with one of my friends I would have floored those guys. As drunk as they were I probally could have taken them myself. Stay classy Philly.

124. cburmester85 says: Dec 10, 2013 10:23 PM

These Eagles fans are really going to be upset when the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this season…

125. mancave001 says: Dec 10, 2013 10:24 PM

ws3rd, you are just making things up. I’ve been to many Eagles games. Worst I’ve seen is someone throw a bottle after being provoked, or someone on the receiving end of an “a-hole” chant. There are people from all walks of life there, including children. I’ve seen Eagles fans hanging with Steelers fans in parking lot, Cardinals fans, etc. As for intelligence, it’s the most informed and dedicated fan base in the league. It’s too bad people like you have baseless perceptions.

By the way, I attended 2012′s Eagles opener in Cleveland. Their fans were tough, but awesome. Sure, we got a few choice words thrown our way, but it was all in good fun. Made some friends in the lot before the game, too.

126. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Dec 10, 2013 10:30 PM

“That’s why the Vet was an opposing place for the visiting team.”

Um, every NFL stadium is the “opposing” place for the visiting team.

127. ravens4fr says: Dec 10, 2013 10:37 PM

RJ says:

Philly Cheese Steaks rule!! Long live the Iggles!

128. thereyougo2 says: Dec 10, 2013 11:01 PM

Don’t think it’s true? North catholic came to municipal stadium to play southeast catholic and south won the game. Anyone with a red north color on after the game was beat all the way down Broad street to Snyder subway. Anyone in a car leaving the game was pulled from car and beat. Car door locked, car overturned. Very ugly.

Eagles season ticket holder from 59′ – 71′. Watched anyone coming into Franklin field or the Vet with visiting team colors on sorry they came, especially Redskin fans. Giant fans were smarter. They traveled in numbers.

Born there and spent first 24 years of my life there. It’s a tough town bar none. Best visitors never wear colors. Problem solved.

Not proud just telling it like it was and still is.

129. mayorrobford says: Dec 10, 2013 11:04 PM

Nothing worse than filthy & disgusting Philly sports fans, Flyer fans are filth, just like Eagle fans, just like Penn State filth who still to this day defend their filthy & disgusting culture of football.

They take pride in their filthy & disgusting subhuman ways, just look at all the scumbags that show up here defending their own crying it’s not true when the very well know it is.

130. sdffa11 says: Dec 10, 2013 11:09 PM

i dont understand you people who are blaming the victim. who cares if the detroit fan provoked it or not. just because someone is asking for a beating doesnt mean we need to stoop to that level. unless the detroit fan physically assaulted the group of 5 guys…which i highly doubt…its just words being exchanged. too many losers in philly think they’re tough guys beating a guy down 5-1 but im sure they wouldnt do anything if it was 1:1. the only thing good about philly is the eagles, everything else including the people there are losers who will never get anywhere in life.

131. jarviskettlehake says: Dec 10, 2013 11:11 PM

I was at this game in lions gear from head to toe. The people in my section gave me a hard time, but we’re never rude or violent about it. I did have several snowballs thrown at me from upper level seats, but I came out fine with no injuries. I find that as long as I am respectful to others, I get it in return.

132. bigtimebrownie says: Dec 10, 2013 11:32 PM

I was at the Eagles vs Cardinals game 2 weeks ago. Guy directly in front of me had a Larry Fitzgerald jersey on. A few rows down was a fellow with a Giants jersey on…some good natured ribbing, but all smiles. If this is true, these people should be prosecuted and banned from the stadium for life. They are not, as we are lead to believe, indicative of all Eagles fans.

133. llucc10 says: Dec 10, 2013 11:38 PM

Okay. Listen, I am a diehard Philadelphia fan. This pisses me off that this happened for sure. I hate these people who think that doing this is okay. I feel sorry for the guy and wish him the best.

However, I am still confused at the accuracy of this story. For one, I have been going to games since I can remember. I am 23 years old, my family has been season ticket holders of the Eagles, Flyers, Sixers and Phillies since before I was born. The last fight that I witnessed was between two Birds fans in the parking lot two years ago, which was broken up in a matter of seconds. I know this because they both had Eagles jerseys on. I get to games early and often and I have not seen a fight in a loooong time. But fights happen no matter where you are, it’s never going to end. People drink. People act like morons. People are idiots.

Now, regarding the guy who was beat up. If he was constantly getting pelted with snowballs the entire game, that would have been broken up by the hundreds of security people, with at least one or two in each section. They don’t tolerate that stuff, trust me. On top of that, where he was beat up, there are cops there constantly. No matter what. It seems a bit off.

Philly fans get a bad rep, for sure, but especially in my section, the opposing fans and our section go back and forth, in a friendly way. Just because there are some bad people in this city DOES NOT apply to the ENTIRE city. Please get over the Santa incident, it happened so long ago it really sounds ridiculous when it gets brought up.

I just wish people outside of Philadelphia would stop acting like they know how everybody in Philly acts, just because of some idiots.

134. dcstinks says: Dec 11, 2013 12:39 AM

From all Philly Fans….

We are taking the steps into modeling ourselves out of an Organization, Morals and High Standards of our Cross State Rivals, The Pittsburgh Steeler.

135. strongmackn says: Dec 11, 2013 1:35 AM

As the fan of another team, I still cant believe all the trash you guys are talkin to all eagles fans. Theres been much worse things that have happened elsewhere. No matter where you go, theres always gonna be some idiot who gets out of line.

Alot of you commentors do it on here too. Be a fan, you dont have to be fanatical. The exaggerated comments people make trying to be funny or whatever, just look foolish and are a waste of life to read.

How many times has someone served up some lame battery comment on an eagles thread, a ped or cheat comment on a hawks thread, a shooting comment on a niners thread, the list goes on.

Most people at any stadium are decent people. Lots of these comments are a reach.

136. dtownsportslions says: Dec 11, 2013 2:54 AM

As a Lions fans this seems fishy to me. I don’t know maybe he just lost a quick fight and wanted to blame someone. If the story is true, I’m sure there are witnesses who saw what happened and will testify for the man who was injured.

That being said, dude if you’re going to the game at a opposing team stadium by yourself. Maybe forget the Lions jersey next time.

137. dtownsportslions says: Dec 11, 2013 2:58 AM

I’m a Lions season ticket holder, I will echo what someone said above. If there is a fight or altercation, its usually the opposing team fan who provokes it.

138. kmatic1 says: Dec 11, 2013 4:05 AM

Sorry this happened to the guy ..He didn’t deserve , but had it been a Cowboy fan with Cowboys jersey ,hat. etc . then that that fan of them should be harrased/Assulted ..Ijs.

139. brettfavresmidget says: Dec 11, 2013 6:57 AM

Here we go….this will be in the news for a month.

140. paracoder says: Dec 11, 2013 7:48 AM

I hate ignorance! most of you talking about Philly fans have never been to Philly! He says 6 fans ( out of the 50,000) that were there, so you attack the whole fan base!
    People always talk about the snowballs (not batteries) at Santa, but does anyone know the whole story about that day (which was in 1968, get over it) ESPN doesn’t tell how that Santa was drunk ( know the story before commenting on it, ignorance is bliss)
    I guess nothing goes on in any other NFL stadium!

141. bdawk20 says: Dec 11, 2013 7:48 AM

Not sure how fans were throwing bottles at him when they don’t serve bottles at the stadium, something is off about this story…would not be surprised if the entire thing is made up for national attention. Philly is an easy scapegoat, who wouldn’t believe this? However, the police are probably going to find nothing because I don’t think it really happened. There may have been an altercation of sorts, but the guy has cut and swollen knuckles, maybe he just lost a fight.

Either way, this happens everywhere.

142. cmgww says: Dec 11, 2013 7:53 AM

For everyone saying this type of stuff happens “at every NFL stadium”…have you ever been to a Colts game? I’m not saying we don’t have our share of trouble, but the occasional fisticuffs is about as bad as it gets. No murders, assaults, battery throwing, etc. Go ahead and call us Midwest country folk, hicks, whatever. But I’ve been to plenty of Colts games, and the worst thing I usually see is someone giving crap to a visiting team’s fan and it’s usually good natured. I have seen things get ugly, but it’s usually two guys that have been drunk all day. I am not trying to be holier than thou, but don’t lump the Colts fanbase in with the Philly/Oakland/SF group. And if I am missing something, please provide me with a news story about any group of Colts fans attacking other fans, and I will stand corrected then.

143. johngaltwho says: Dec 11, 2013 7:56 AM

The problem with fans in stadiums like Detroit and Philadelphia (in particular) is that the mob mentality loses sight of the separation between the team and the fan. While it is OK for players to get themselves psyched up with phrases like “this is our house”, and”bring the wood”. The fans adopt this attitude and similarly think its appropriate to bully visiting fans – why – cause “its our house”. It should start with management, flow through security, and eventually to a majority of fans who understand that a guy should be able to take his six year old on a road trip to watch their favorite NFL team play without being overwhelmed by foul language and flying objects. If fans really want to take ownership of their stadium, then they should demand civility from the minority of drunken fools who live vicariously through men who get paid lots of money to play a game.

144. cmgww says: Dec 11, 2013 8:00 AM

Been to 30+ Colts games in the past 15 years and never felt unsafe. No wonder we pulled off the best cold weather Super Bowl of all time. The downtown is safe, game days are very well patrolled, stadium security is quick to get to issues with unruly fans in the stands…I wouldn’t dare show up to an Eagles game in my Colts gear. I went onto the Eagles message board before the Colts/Eagles game in 2010 just to talk football. I wasn’t trolling, just wanted to talk about the upcoming game. I got called every name in the book, and got death threats if I showed up at the game. I realize those were faceless keyboard tough guys, but it was on the OFFICIAL EAGLES MESSAGE BOARD! The franchise lets that crap go on without repercussions? Wow. I feel sad for the good Philly fans…

145. eagle100x says: Dec 11, 2013 8:04 AM

not saying its ok that the fans did this, but as the judge once said to the beat up guy in indian garb at the redskins-eagles game “what did you expect would happen?”

146. kastout11 says: Dec 11, 2013 8:08 AM

I am 41 and have been a diehard Philly fan my entire life. I am tired of a few bad apples giving the city a bad name. This happens after just about every NFL football game in just about every city, when someone wears the opposing teams jersey. Because it was Philly, it is a story. Philly fans are no worse than fans from any other city.

147. doctorart2013 says: Dec 11, 2013 8:18 AM

When it sounds like BS, smells like BS….It’s BS!!!!!!!!! It’s fashionable to bash Eagles fans, they can’t bash the team now so get the fans…Very weak….EAGLES!!!!!!

148. atkinsandgreenreignsupreme says: Dec 11, 2013 8:25 AM

Word to the wise never, never ever go to an Eagles by yourself….ALWAYS go in numbers… I been to the Linc twice and we were 10+ deep both times…all decked out in Bengals gear…. Go deep and have the look of “dont try anything” and you will be fine…We had no problems other than some good natured ribbing back and forth…Although we had a couple ex LB’s and OL with us…LOL I hope they catch these idiots! And Eagles fans we know you all are not like this but man it still doesnt make you all look good…Time for cops wearing the opposing team jerseys up there..lol

149. themonkeyman says: Dec 11, 2013 8:59 AM

I was at the GB-Philly playoff game in 2010-2011 & saw a 16-17 year old kid taking a leak in the bathroom wearing a Rodgers jersey, not bothering anyone, just going to the bathroom. The abuse that poor kid took was insane, he was barly allowed to leak. The barrage of names & threats the poor kid was subject to was out & out criminal. Philly fans are the NFL’s worst, bar none. Anyone that has been in that stadium in an opposing jersey will agree. Sad part is it’s been going on for years & the fans defend it by trying to say don’t come into our stadium in any other jersey or garb. Sick & sad is what it is!

150. bushwoodcc says: Dec 11, 2013 9:19 AM

There is another article out there in which it is reported that he did not go to the game alone…he went with a friend who left early due to the abuse they were taking in the stands. But as he says he wasn’t far behind the Eagles bench the in stadium cams should have caught incidents of snowball throwing, even if live cam operators didn’t see them real time. If it really happened there are some people that need to lose their season tickets.

In regards to the assault, some people that know the area better than I do note there is good police presence there…but in snowy conditions who knows just how visible the location was at that time?

The reality there are idiot fans in EVERY stadium but they do not represent the majority of fans in attendance.

151. njskinsfan says: Dec 11, 2013 9:19 AM

Shocking!

152. charlesu2 says: Dec 11, 2013 9:31 AM

It’s always the rotten millions of Eagles fans who spoil it for the good eight.

153. nofaceangler718 says: Dec 11, 2013 10:42 AM

WHy is everyone getting on Philly fans? It isn’t like they’ve stripped and broken the legs of a fan dressed as a mascot of the other team, or vomited on a little girl after their boorish behavior got them ejected! Oh wait, those things did happen

154. leroyquimby says: Dec 11, 2013 10:50 AM

He probably deserved it anyway

155. myeaglescantwin says: Dec 11, 2013 11:06 AM

nonsense.

Through all my time at every home game since 07′,

Nothing ever happens at the stadium unprovoked.
    You may get ripped on and yelled at, but that’s expected.
    If you handle it like a man,, like a fan, , everyone takes it in jest.

this guy most likely did something to deserve it.

156. n0hopeleft says: Dec 11, 2013 11:17 AM

flavordave says:
    Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

___________________________________

Most passionate fanbase = Angry that their trophycase is STILL empty.

157. ma5terbla5t3r says: Dec 11, 2013 11:43 AM

True or not, this happens at every stadium. I am a Packer fan, but the self-described best and most welcoming fanbase (I don’t agree with this by the way) are not welcoming. The Packers played the Lions during the last game of the Lions’ 0-16 season. The Packers went 6-10 that year. When the game was OUT OF REACH (it takes real guts to talk smack when you know your team is going to win), two idiots behind me started screaming “YOU SUCK!” at two Lions fans sitting in front of them, one of whom had a kid. One of the Lions fans politely turned around and calmly asked the guy why he was acting like a jerk and said “if you were in Detroit I would never treat you like this.” The response was priceless northern WI hillbilly. Imagine the accent:

“Never bin dare, dohn’t wanna go dare.”

My brother and I still say this to this day about restaurants, bars, ANYTHING.

The point of all this is that I hate going to games for this reason. I don’t drink anything but coffee when I attend games as I want to be ready when some guy starts a melee when someone says Rodgers doesn’t walk on water. Secondly, I never wear my colors to road games. It’s ridiculous, but the stupidity and absurdity of some NFL “fans” is so astronomical that I’d rather not have things thrown at me.

158. wolfman55h says: Dec 16, 2013 10:02 AM