Six more teams can clinch playoff spots this week

New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

The Colts have already clinched the AFC South, and the Broncos and Seahawks have both clinched playoff berths. Those three teams can be joined by as many as six others on Sunday.

The NFL has released this week’s playoff scenarios, and they show that the Chiefs, Patriots, Bengals, Saints, Panthers and 49ers all have the ability to clinch playoff berths this week. Here’s a look at what each team has to do:

Chiefs: Clinch playoff berth with a win, or a loss by either the Dolphins or Ravens.

Patriots: Clinch the AFC East with a win. Can also clinch at least a wild card if they lose and the Ravens lose.

Bengals: Clinch the AFC North with a win and a Ravens loss.

Saints: Clinch a playoff berth with a win. Can also clinch a playoff berth if they lose and the Cardinals and either the Cowboys or Eagles lose.

Panthers: Clinch a playoff spot with a win and losses by both the Cardinals and 49ers, plus a loss by either the Cowboys or the Eagles.

49ers: Clinch a playoff spot with a win, a Cardinals loss and either a Cowboys or Eagles loss.

The Broncos can also clinch the AFC West with a win and a Chiefs loss, and they can clinch the AFC West and a first-round bye with a win and losses by both the Chiefs and the Bengals. The Seahawks can clinch the NFC West and a first-round bye with a win and a 49ers loss, and they can clinch home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs with a win and losses by both the 49ers and the Saints.

In just about every realistic scenario, five of the AFC playoff spots will go to the Broncos, Chiefs, Patriots, Bengals and Colts, and four of the NFC playoff spots will go to the Seahawks, 49ers, Panthers and Saints. The remaining battles are for the final AFC wild card spot (Baltimore and Miami are currently tied at 7-6), for the NFC East (Eagles or Cowboys) and NFC North (Lions, Bears or Packers).

If you’re a fan of one of the teams that can clinch, that’s obviously what you’re hoping for. Otherwise, hope for the teams that can clinch to lose. The more teams are still fighting for playoff berths, the more fun we’ll have in the final weeks of the season.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Six more teams can clinch playoff spots this week”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Dec 10, 2013 1:02 PM

I noticed that none of these scenarios allow for Pittsburgh or Washington to make a playoff appearance.

Lol.

2. siggtacular says: Dec 10, 2013 1:06 PM

Go Ravens!!

3. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 10, 2013 1:06 PM

This league is fixed. It has been well established, especially in recent weeks, but no…I’m the crazy one according to all of you. No, I just KNOW football!!!

4. h3min1230 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:06 PM

If KC loses to the Colts in the first round, you can pretty much book the Broncos into the super bowl. No way does Peyton lose twice to them. At least KC would have SOME chance seeing as it is very hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season.

5. thepftpoet says: Dec 10, 2013 1:07 PM

The Vikings still have the best team in the NFL talent wise.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 10, 2013 1:10 PM

Cardinals can go 11-5 and still miss the playoffs. And nobody has a problem with the playoff selection process yet? There’s still no guarantee that the NFC North winner even makes it to .500 let alone over .500.

7. kingviking414 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:10 PM

Well, as a Viking fan I hope…….well, what I really want is……
    Actually, I think it would be great if…….
    Man, this season sux!!!

8. eagles022 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:12 PM

Wait, no Jets? But theyre the best team in football! Ha!

9. haterade999 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:16 PM

Whatever you do, don’t count out the Ravens.

Just a year ago, everyone did.

Nevermore.

10. wellwattayaknow says: Dec 10, 2013 1:17 PM

Hey, I didn’t see the Steelers on there…??? What’s up with that, I thought they were God’s team :)

11. zam0854 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:17 PM

Well a Steelers fans, you know what they say…”When the dog barks, the rooster crows.” –

Think about it a Steelers fans, before you know it, it’ll be draft day 2014.

#ToiletTowelsForXMas

12. jbeagles23 says: Dec 10, 2013 1:19 PM

And next week the eagles will clinch by beating the bears cause Dallas is losin to Green Bay this week

13. whoknowsnothing says: Dec 10, 2013 1:27 PM

So if the Ravens and Cardinals lose all playoff spots are likely to be filled this weekend except for the last wild card spot in each conference.

14. yourmomsnewfriend says: Dec 10, 2013 1:28 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Dec 10, 2013 1:06 PM

- – - -

If the league is “fixed” then why did they forget “your” Redskins? They’re very much broken. Please tell us all, because you obviously KNOW.

15. olefballcoach says: Dec 10, 2013 1:39 PM

Ravens suck!!

16. gosfvr says: Dec 10, 2013 1:42 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Dec 10, 2013 1:10 PM

—————————-

Well, that is true, but also recall the Seahawks winning the division at 7-9.

That is what makes it so much fun. The entire NFC west is pretty good this year and hopefully for the foreseeable future.

The rules are what they are, can’t see exceptions for awarding playoff spots regardless of division leadership.

17. knucklebucket says: Dec 10, 2013 2:01 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Dec 10, 2013 1:10 PM

__________________________________
    When Brady went down with a knee injury in 2008, Matt Cassell led the Patriots to an 11-5 record. They did not make the playoffs that year. Just the way it goes sometimes.

18. 5to46hawkfan says: Dec 10, 2013 2:05 PM

GO HAWKS!!!

19. haterade999 says: Dec 10, 2013 2:08 PM

Ravens haters are like Brady haters.

Nothing to back it up. Just a whole lot of butthurt.

20. phillysports1 says: Dec 10, 2013 2:09 PM

Go EAGLES !

21. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 10, 2013 2:22 PM

Where are the Ravens? I’ve read his article three times, and I can’t find them in the clinch list. All I see is them helping other teams clinch when they lose in Detroit this week. (I’m not entirely happy about that either. The guy I’m up against in FF this week has Megatron, and I cringe when I think what he is gonna do to you guys.)

22. boisestatewhodat says: Dec 10, 2013 2:23 PM

GEAUX SAINTS!! See you in Seattle!

23. dolphins4 says: Dec 10, 2013 2:29 PM

Unless they legalize stickum there is no way the Chiefs can get to the Super Bowl.

24. haterade999 says: Dec 10, 2013 2:35 PM

thegenoatkinsdiet says:

Where are the Ravens?

_____________________

The Ravens are hoisting a Lombardi from last year and currently sitting in that 6th seed this year.

Where’s your team?

25. justamoguy says: Dec 10, 2013 2:41 PM

h3min1230 :
    Actually, the fact that it is hard too beat a team three times in the same year is a myth. Believe me, I wish it was true, I am a Chiefs fan. After the Chiefs lost that second game I looked it up so I could use it against a co-worker. Unfortunately, if a team sweeps another team in the regular season, they win the 3rd meeting like 80% of the time. :(

thepftpoet :
    So I want to make sure I am understanding you. The Vikings are the most talented team in the NFL, but in spite of that they have the 4th worst record.

Yeah, I would not be proud of that fact.

26. cornerstone2001 says: Dec 10, 2013 2:43 PM

I’m a Seahawk fan up here, but even I’m tired
    of the constant PED use, a cheating head coach, and the dirty brand of football with constant holding. Mostly I’m sick of Richard Sherman’s mouth.

27. h3min1230 says: Dec 10, 2013 3:22 PM

@justamoguy-

Yeah, but that 20% the Chiefs have is still higher then the Colts chances lol.

28. MostlyRight says: Dec 10, 2013 3:23 PM

If the Cardinals go 11-5 and don’t get into the playoffs the NFL at least owes them an apology and a 3rd round compensation pick for allowing the refs to hand the Eagles a win in Week 13.

29. winstonjed44 says: Dec 10, 2013 3:25 PM

There’s no point in complaining about the playoff system, if a team wants to guarantee that they’ll be in the playoffs, then they better win their division. People complained about Seattle getting a playoff spot at 7-9 and we all know what happened next. The NFC North may not be great this year, but if the Lions can stay out of their own way (assuming they win it), they can go and beat anybody.

30. mizzousooner says: Dec 10, 2013 3:27 PM

What the hey? The Chiefs clinched the AFC East title last week!

31. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 10, 2013 3:37 PM

haterade999 says:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:35 PM
    Where’s your team?

Leading yours by two games and on the path to making the Week 17 BAL-CIN game completely meaningless.

32. mwcarolina says: Dec 10, 2013 3:37 PM

——————————————————–
    i would be surprised if the Colts beat the Chiefs. the Colts miss Wayne, hopefully (for the Colts sake) Rodgers keeps playing well at WR and proves to be the future Wayne so they can win.

as for Arizona going 11 and 5 and missing the playoffs, i doubt they go 11 and 5, but if they do, then it’s likely they go in if Carolina loses (which is also possible), but if they do win out (which would surprise me), well, that’s what happens sometimes. one year the Seahawks went 7 and 9 and made the playoffs. the best way to ensure a playoffs spot is to not lose to your division and to win games outside of it too.

33. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 10, 2013 3:40 PM

gosvfr:

Yeah but I just think there are more fun ways to do it. But my idea is revolutionary and goes to a 4 division format for the whole NFL. Only 2 divisions per conference. There’s virtually no chance of anything like that actually happening. It’s just my preferred way to see things done cause I think there’s new fun things that get created with the scheduling that makes things more interesting to me.

knucklebucket:

And yeah I’m aware that’s the way it goes sometimes, that’s why I don’t like it. An 8-8 team went instead of a team that won 11 games. That’s not cool to me. Or interesting. Or fun. I like my way a lot more.

34. cartire says: Dec 10, 2013 3:40 PM

cornerstone2001 says:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:43 PM
    I’m a Seahawk fan up here, but even I’m tired
    ——————–

you are not a hawks fan. you dont have to lie to support your constant vitriol. We get it. The seahawks have the best record and your team doesnt, so lets keep bagging on them over the internet to feel big.

35. mikebrownfeedsondreams says: Dec 10, 2013 3:52 PM

“haterade999 says:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:35 PM

Where’s your team?”

I assume his team is the Bengals, so his team is in first place and about to clinch the division when your Ratbirds lose this weekend.

36. haterade999 says: Dec 10, 2013 3:56 PM

thegenoatkinsdiet says:
    Dec 10, 2013 3:37 PM
    haterade999 says:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:35 PM
    Where’s your team?

___________

That’s cute. I hope you guys figure out how to win a playoff game for once. Unless of course, it’s vs the Ravens.

Must be tough watching the Ravens win a SB and the division so much.

37. aldante66 says: Dec 10, 2013 4:00 PM

The real irony is are those die hard packer fans who think this team is playoff caliber in the first place.
    Dallas will handle them on Sunday and its all over, put a fork in them.
    The Fans is they want to be pissed can blame Ted T for trying to win with dbacks that are 5’11 and played at colleges you never heard of, and didn’t play that well there either.

38. mahimike says: Dec 10, 2013 4:37 PM

Always a good season when the Steelers don’t steal a playoff seat. Even better when Cowgirls do the same. Now if only Peyton can continue his playoff blues.

39. kingokra says: Dec 10, 2013 5:16 PM

thepftpoet says:Dec 10, 2013 1:07 PM

The Vikings still have the best team in the NFL talent wise.
    _____________________________

You are right. They do the best “stupid human tricks” every weekend.

40. Go-Hawks! says: Dec 10, 2013 5:20 PM

Cornerstone, you haven’t got a clue. There have been 6 players suspended for PED use since Pete Carroll became head coach. That is 6 too many, yes, but that is HARDLY “constant PED use. And when has Pete Carroll ever cheated as an NFL head coach? He is not a cheater. And what he may have done for Reggie Bush is no big deal in my view. The NCAA makes almost a billion dollars a year but a coach giving gifts to players is “cheating”. Cornerstone, you don’t have to like Carroll, or Sherman, or anyone else on the team. No Seahawks fans support the use of PEDs. But I am positive that you are NOT a Seahawks fan.

41. steelersaredogsteam says: Dec 10, 2013 5:47 PM

Who cares, it’s a Steeler year off. We’ll be back next year. You are all chicken nuggets in Burger World.

42. jredshoes says: Dec 10, 2013 6:10 PM

Hey idiot you blew the joke. . The Chiefs won the NFC EAST beating Dallas, Philly, Washington and the Giants. They only played Buffalo from the AFC East. Tailgating must be starting early

43. beardinals says: Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    ————————-

Don’t be “that guy”.

44. td8463 says: Dec 10, 2013 6:36 PM

@the strategyexpert- That’s right! it is “More Than” possible to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs! It happened to the New England Patriots. It either happened the year before they nearly completed the Perfect Season, or the year after in 2008!

45. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 10, 2013 8:14 PM

I guess you have to enjoy living in the past when it is all you’ve got. Enjoy the back seat… and get used to it.

46. wellwattayaknow says: Dec 10, 2013 9:01 PM

thegenoatkinsdiet says:
    Dec 10, 2013 8:14 PM
    _____________________________

Your team is the Bengals and you’re talking smack like they’re a perennial powerhouse? I’m sure you’re aware that the Bengals haven’t won a playoff game since Andy Dalton was 3 years old.
    Hardly a team to brag about….

Temper your enthusiasm, then come back and spout off once they actually win something other than an occasional division here and there.

47. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 11, 2013 9:55 AM

That’s what I would say too if I were watching my team’s season doing the porcelain swirl…

48. trobnation says: Dec 12, 2013 12:58 AM

The cardinals can not go 11-5 and miss the playoffs because they play the 49ers week 17 and with a win would push the cardinals to the final wild card spot