Jeffery’s emergence should cause plenty of regrets

Jeffery Getty Images

Bears receiver Alshon Jeffery quickly has become a man among boys, using a six-foot, three-inch frame and arms that seem to belong to an even taller man to make acrobatic catches in traffic.

Jeffery’s performance and potential will surely make folks who passed on the former South Carolina wideout regret not putting his name on a card.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News points out that the Jets surely rue the decision to take receiver Stephen Hill over Jeffery.  Hill was the 43rd pick in the 2012 draft; Jeffery went two picks later.

Other teams that surely are muttering profanities when watching Jeffery’s sizable sizzle reel include the Rams (who took Brian Quick with the 33rd selection) and the 49ers (who selected A.J. Jenkins with pick 30).

Teams that drafted players at other positions likely are feeling remorse, including the team that used the 42nd overall pick.  On a tackle.  Named Jonathan Martin.

Between Jeffery and Brandon Marshall, it’s hard for the Bears to go wrong at the quarterback position.  Whether Jay Cutler or Josh McCown or Cade McNown, plenty of guys would look pretty good with Marshall and Jeffery running the routes and making difficult catches look routine.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Jeffery’s emergence should cause plenty of regrets”
  1. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 11, 2013 10:51 PM

I could be wrong, but I swear the Jets traded UP that spring to draft Stephen Hill.

2. bearsfankarnik87 says: Dec 11, 2013 10:57 PM

No receiver could make Cade McNown look good…

This is without question the best draft pick by Emery to this point. Hopefully he’s gonna continue to grow and be a star for years to come.

3. Lev says: Dec 11, 2013 11:07 PM

I literally screamed when the Panthers passed on Alshon.

Usually Carolina has a soft spot for local talent on draft day (see Armanti Edwards) and I’d hoped they’d snap up a standout from South Carolina.

Glad to see him doing well either way though

4. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Dec 11, 2013 11:09 PM

Isn’t hindsight great? It allows people to sound smarter about football than they really are.

5. larryboodry says: Dec 11, 2013 11:13 PM

Okay…Maybe not Cade McNown.

6. explosionsauce says: Dec 11, 2013 11:18 PM

Someone needs to lose their job over that AJ Jenkins pick

7. respectgsh says: Dec 11, 2013 11:22 PM

Yeah, Jeffrey is a beast. But, not even he Marshall, Bennett, and Forte could make Cade McNown look good. Let us not assume that Josh McCown is just lucky. He clearly has prepared hard and has NFL talent.

8. zo121179 says: Dec 11, 2013 11:34 PM

I hope he stays in Chicago for a few years.

9. meatcarroll says: Dec 11, 2013 11:39 PM

I’m a Niners fan and I must admit A.J. Jenkins was a spectacular flaming bust of a pick. In fact that entire 2012 draft was one of the worst in franchise history and has shaken my faith in Harbaugh…yeah we’re good now but Gore, Willis, Bowman, Staley, Justin Smith, McDonald, VD, Crabtree, Iupati, etc were all here before him.

10. tmsasa says: Dec 11, 2013 11:40 PM

Damn Skippy!

11. bears0492 says: Dec 11, 2013 11:49 PM

Another interesting nugget – Bears GM Phil Emery actually traded up 5 spots from 50 to nab Alshon Jeffery (giving up a 5th rounder in the process). At the time, he said he thought Jeffery had the best hands of the draft (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/28/alshon-jeffery-has-the-best-hands-in-the-draft-bears-say/).

And…for the love of god… can someone please tell John Gruden its Alshon Jeffery, not Alshon Jeffries

12. huthuthut says: Dec 11, 2013 11:53 PM

There are plenty of hits and misses every draft.

That’s what makes it fun.

No one is perfect.

13. favrelous says: Dec 12, 2013 12:03 AM

Having Forte does not suck either.

14. viper689 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:22 AM

I don’t think teams really agonize over these things as much as you think they do. If a team drafted an OT, I especially don’t see how they can regret not drafting a wide receiver.

Hindsight is 20/20. Stupid is forever.

15. goon698 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:42 AM

Jeffery was a beast in the SEC. I didn’t understand why he lasted well into the second round. I know he had issues with his weight but he is such a talent. I wish my Panthers had drafted him to play opposite Steve Smith. Especially considering they had to know about his talent and have been looking for a #2 receiver with the potential to be a #1 receiver for a while now.

16. dino2997 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:48 AM

I remember PFT wrote an article commenting that Alshon Jeffrey was overweight and looked horrible coming out of college. No mention of that?

17. ziggystheansah says: Dec 12, 2013 12:54 AM

I hate Alshon Jeffery. Because he’s so freaking good.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 12, 2013 12:57 AM

Jacksonville would trade Justin Blackmon to the Bears for Jeffrey and throw in Andre Branch their second round pick without any regrets. I was banging the drum for Jeffrey in 2012, but you think they’d listen to me?

19. madczyk says: Dec 12, 2013 1:00 AM

You just cannot give up the Josh McCown, Cade McNown references can you Mr. Florio…

20. xpensivewinos says: Dec 12, 2013 1:20 AM

Jeff Ireland blew a second round draft pick?

You must be mistaken…..

21. iced107 says: Dec 12, 2013 1:26 AM

Hard to say much about the Rams.

While yes I understand quick has been a dissapointment compared to Jeffrey, Quick however does not have the benefit of not only lining up across from Brandon Marshall but also having him as a veteran leader to show him the ropes and help him grow as a player.

22. miguel3557 says: Dec 12, 2013 1:38 AM

Yeah, great move Baalke. First, you take Jenkins at #30, then you trade him for another failed player who hasn’t produced much, Baldwin. You would have been up shlit creek without a paddle had you not gotten Boldin.

23. dontcensormebro says: Dec 12, 2013 1:48 AM

You know, there really is no guarantee that Jeffrey would have panned out on those other teams. In Chi-town, Brandon Marshall was here to really help the young receiver out.

24. fiezzybeatz says: Dec 12, 2013 1:50 AM

I’ll take alshon over Jon Martin any day!

25. kingpel says: Dec 12, 2013 3:58 AM

On behalf of the Rams I’d like to voice my regret. I always knew you weren’t fat and lazy, Alshon.

26. unsportsmenmic says: Dec 12, 2013 5:40 AM

For the love of the draft. But would Jeffrey be so dominate if there was no Brandon Marshall, and everyone doubled up Jeffrey? I’m not saying passing on a 6’3 WR is ever smart, but we have seen it before with the second WR beasting and then becoming the #1 and looks lost, PeerlPrice anyone?

27. razzlejag says: Dec 12, 2013 6:12 AM

Yeah? What about Blaine Gabbert? Luke McClown?

28. mercurialcj says: Dec 12, 2013 1:55 PM

I don’t think you can blame teams for passing on him. Everyone knew he was a top-10 player talent wise, but there we lee concerns about his work ethic. It was a high-risk, high-reward pick, and it happened to pay off. Same with Janoris Jenkins.

29. rajbais says: Dec 12, 2013 11:54 PM

No GM should lose sleep over this.

Alshon would have been a statue in New York.

They care about offense there???

Plus, Alshon wouldn’t be who he is without working out with Brandon Marshall.