Percy Harvin remains week-to-week

Harvin AP

Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin continues to struggle with a hip problem that kept him out of action until Week 11, and that has kept him out of action since then.

Harvin didn’t practice on Wednesday in advance of a trip to New York to play the Giants, and coach Pete Carroll characterizes Harvin as week-to-week.

“We’re trying to figure this thing out and when he gets out on the practice field, then it’s truly day-to-day and we’ll see how he responds,” Carroll said, via quotes distributed by the team.  “So as of today, he’s not going.  He won’t be going, he’s rehabbing.  That means that he’s running in his rehab work and we have to see if he can tolerate it and come on back and give us a couple of days work.  We’ll have to make sure that he’s right.  So we’re going to take our time and I know it seems like, ‘How can you take your time when you’re this close to the end of the season?’  But we still have to do that to take care of him.”

Carroll explained that the hip has gotten better and gotten worse.

“It has fluctuated,” Carroll said.  “He has gone back and forth, where he’s gotten close and then it got aggravated a little bit.  Just hasn’t quite got over the hump where he’s really clear.  He has a whole lot of new movement in that hip that he hasn’t had before and he’s trying to become accustomed to that.”

The Seahawks have been fine without him.  They’ll be even better if/when he can play — even if the next time he plays is the next time the Seahawks play in MetLife Stadium.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Percy Harvin remains week-to-week”
  1. fdugrad says: Dec 11, 2013 9:31 PM

“Week to week.” Yeah, however which YEAR are we talking?

2. nfl4days says: Dec 11, 2013 9:37 PM

When is Percy NOT week-to-week?

3. penvik says: Dec 11, 2013 9:41 PM

Wow, great trade for Minnesota so far!

4. ketch20too says: Dec 11, 2013 9:42 PM

Shananhan would play him now

5. gbfanforever says: Dec 11, 2013 9:51 PM

Enough is enough. How long before they cut this guy?

6. jackrabbitz says: Dec 11, 2013 9:56 PM

We are all week to week.

7. prideof10000lakes says: Dec 11, 2013 10:05 PM

They should trade him for a first rounder and a couple mid rounders.

8. winorlose6burgh says: Dec 11, 2013 10:08 PM

Has this guy even played??

9. tinbender2000 says: Dec 11, 2013 10:14 PM

Percy Harvin remains weak to weak.

10. pacificnw7722 says: Dec 11, 2013 10:18 PM

Pete Carroll has claimed that the hip is just sore and nothing is structurally wrong with it . Why not just numb it up and let him fly.

11. grandsonofcoach says: Dec 11, 2013 10:19 PM

Um. I think it’s becoming more year to year.

12. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 11, 2013 10:40 PM

I agree. I wouldn’t play him unless it’s the NFC championship game or the Super Bowl.

13. dennisatunity says: Dec 11, 2013 11:05 PM

The Seahawks are tied for the best record in the NFL. That’s been without Harvin (except for 2 plays against Minnesota). If they can have the best record without him, then they might as well let him rehab until the playoffs. It would be nice to have him sooner, but interestingly, it just hasn’t been necessary. I could see needing him against the Cardinals, however.

14. ickky says: Dec 11, 2013 11:12 PM

good thing he had to show up the Vikes….

15. explosionsauce says: Dec 11, 2013 11:22 PM

Next time he plays at MetLife stadium will be the 2014 season when the NFC West and NFC East matchup.

16. pretendarchitect says: Dec 11, 2013 11:27 PM

Week-to-week sounds a bit optimistic for Percy Harvin. Try season-to-season.

17. stevenwilliams2013 says: Dec 11, 2013 11:28 PM

This guy is a joke, the Hawks don’t even need him. His contract is a waste of money.

18. zo121179 says: Dec 11, 2013 11:32 PM

I thought this was Derrick Rose story.

19. unbridledsexy says: Dec 11, 2013 11:40 PM

Harbinger is a game changer when on the field. My patience is running out. We need him now.

20. rmavs says: Dec 11, 2013 11:47 PM

Seattle might not want to make another trade with the Vikings…history hasn’t been so good. Tarvaris Jackson, Sidney Rice, and, now, Percy…

21. bennyb82 says: Dec 11, 2013 11:51 PM

I love Percy Harvin but hasn’t he always been week to week?

22. mrwalterisgod says: Dec 11, 2013 11:54 PM

Meanwhile, the Seahawks awesomeness reamins week to week.

23. crapsandviche says: Dec 11, 2013 11:55 PM

Percy is a zero ‘put the work in guy’, oh if the SeaChickens get to the SuperBowl, he’ll play in that game….heck he might even practice the week of. Then the next year he’ll be out for injuries as much as possible. He’s a Pay Me, but I play when I want to.

24. tobis81 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:09 AM

This is getting ridiculous now… First his hip was just sore, then he needed a cortisone shot, now he’s still rehabbing, and is week to week, when he was day to day a few weeks ago. $65M, man the FK up!!! Boo hop I’m sore… Crabtree came back from a torn Achilles, you don’t see him crying, and not playing.

25. tobis81 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:11 AM

What’s it been like 20 weeks since his procedure, and he’s still hurt

26. billybone says: Dec 12, 2013 12:18 AM

Strategically Seattle should save him for the playoffs….even if he only ends up being a decoy. I’m sure if he was ready he would play but I wonder if Seattle is reluctant based on not absolutely needing him and to prevent film being established for other clubs to analyze.

27. orivar says: Dec 12, 2013 12:19 AM

Rushed back too soon. Shouldn’t of played in that game and probably would of played in this one.

28. veence69 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:27 AM

The team doesn’t need him, and even if they did, he is unable to hold up physically in the NFL..

What a waste of a 1st, two 3rds and a 7th round draft picks.

29. aceakking says: Dec 12, 2013 12:28 AM

what a waste.

30. betteratlifethanyou says: Dec 12, 2013 12:40 AM

Hawks will be fine without Percy. Get right for the playoffs!

31. fumblenuts says: Dec 12, 2013 12:43 AM

This guy should consider Acupuncture therapy…….seriously.

32. seatownballers says: Dec 12, 2013 1:34 AM

I’m counting him out. We’re getting a first round bye, so rest him till playoffs. Call him fragile, call the trade a fleece, but we have him for 5 more years. Its to soon to evaluate the trade. If you do, realize Rhodes was selected with the first round pick traded. Currently starting on the 29th ranked passing defense. Non game changer. This season is coming to an end, let Harvin heal another month for the post season run.

33. dontcensormebro says: Dec 12, 2013 1:35 AM

Who?

34. ricosauve49ers says: Dec 12, 2013 1:48 AM

Somewhere in Minnesota, someone is smiling.

35. staffordsyear says: Dec 12, 2013 2:22 AM

Did yall here about that Ravens db calling Megatron old??..sit back and watch a monster game by the one they call MEGATRON.

36. usdcoyotesfan says: Dec 12, 2013 3:00 AM

IDIOT SEATTLE FANS THINK THEY BEAT THE PACKERS!!!!!!

37. jacksonjames4 says: Dec 12, 2013 3:08 AM

Does anyone really care about this harvin news anymore ? It’s not like they’re missing him

38. joetoronto says: Dec 12, 2013 3:42 AM

“Week to week” with under 3 weeks left.

Pete the cheat needs to hit him up again.

39. tubbman27 says: Dec 12, 2013 4:51 AM

As much as I love my Hawks I’m starting to think he might be a little soft and fragile. This also is making his game against Minni look more like a vendetta play rather than him being ready for action. All and all, we have a few years before we really can judge the success of this trade. Fingers crossed, come back strong Percy. Russ is salivating at the thought of getting this guy in space. Go Hawks.

40. bauldrdash says: Dec 12, 2013 5:30 AM

He’s been scamming the Seahawks for almost a year.

41. mastereee says: Dec 12, 2013 7:53 AM

get some muscle juice from browner or kj wright!!

42. jimmyt says: Dec 12, 2013 7:57 AM

Too bad such a talented team is going to be bounced early in the playoffs.

43. hakunamangata says: Dec 12, 2013 8:00 AM

So if the Seahawks had stood pat on draft day they would have had Corderrell Patterson with the draft pick they sent to Minnesota. Kinda would of filled the same need as Harvin but cost a heck of a lot less and actually would of suited up.

As a Seahawks fan I’m starting to think not only would that have been the better move, but to please stop taking Viking receivers!

44. fwippel says: Dec 12, 2013 8:25 AM

As a Viking fan in the midst of a season to forget, I will say this: I’m glad Harvin is Seattle’s headache now.

Truth is, Cordarelle Patterson is making it much easier to forget about Harvin. As an added bonus, Patterson plays every week.

45. mizzousooner says: Dec 12, 2013 8:25 AM

Give the dude some adderal and some smoke, and he’ll be fine.

Its the Seadderall Weedhawks way.

46. ninefingers9 says: Dec 12, 2013 8:34 AM

This clown has no integrity. Hawks got fleeced!

47. tap79 says: Dec 12, 2013 9:19 AM

Get rid of this guy… He is a waste of everybody’s time.

48. commonsense1986 says: Dec 12, 2013 9:42 AM

I agree, its too early to judge this trade. But as much as the Vikes got blasted for this trade I think many people’s characterizations of Harvin were pretty accurate. Now, its true the Hawks don’t need him, their record shows that, but Vikes biggest complaint about him was that he was injury prone (madeup or otherwise) and his attitude. It looks like his attitude convinced Carroll to let him play when he shouldn’t have. Now they’re paying for it (literally) as he sits on the bench. Maybe he’ll play in the future but I’d be surprised to see him make it through an entire season again.

49. rickytheviking says: Dec 12, 2013 9:58 AM

The short time he played with Randy Moss he managed to catch Moss’s attitude
    “I play when I wanna play”

50. ninersareyesterdaysnews says: Dec 12, 2013 10:12 AM

I’m starting to believe that no amount of rehab is going to make that hip feel better. Bo Jackson was a phenom who injured his hip and was never the same. Granted he had a total replacement, but maybe that’s what Harvin is going to end up needing too, at this point. Carroll says he’s not rushing this guy back which is total bs because if that’s the case, why not go Shanahan with it and shut him down so he’ll be healthy, if not for the playoffs, at least for the offseason and next year.

I’m of the mindset that if he’s not healthy by the draft in April, that Seattle cuts their losses and draft another reciever. I don’t care how much talent the guy has if it’s never on the field.

51. seahonky says: Dec 12, 2013 10:14 AM

Save him for the NFC championship(s) and superbowl(s)

52. minnesoulja says: Dec 12, 2013 10:24 AM

He is weak, too weak.

53. sandersmarcus10 says: Dec 12, 2013 10:37 AM

RGIII him! Shut him down til next year!

54. purpleguy says: Dec 12, 2013 10:38 AM

I’d love to know if Percy is being as big of a pain internally as he was to the Viking training staff, as I hear he is one of the training staffs least favorite players in the team’s entire history.

55. mubbcsoc says: Dec 12, 2013 10:51 AM

I’m enjoying all this talk about how they should rest him because they’re 11-2 without him. Frankly, I think waiting till a big game to play him could HURT the team because the team is familiar with winning without him. When a player like this comes back, the offense changes to incorporate them.

Even as a 49er fan, I don’t fully believe this will happen though because I think Russell Wilson is too smart to force the offense in a new direction, but it is a very real possibility.

56. pooflingingmonkey says: Dec 12, 2013 12:16 PM

Harvin will suddenly be okay when the Seahawks host their first playoff game.

It’s a miracle! He’s magically healed!

57. chillyball says: Dec 12, 2013 12:28 PM

If this is the only thing Vikings fans can be happy about, you best check yo self before you wreck yo self.

Skol.

58. chillyball says: Dec 12, 2013 12:29 PM

Percy will have a ring before Christian Noodle Arm Ponder.

59. chillyball says: Dec 12, 2013 12:30 PM

I apologive for calling Christian Ponder noodle arm.

Skol.

60. hopper15 says: Dec 12, 2013 2:20 PM

Fragile. They’ll be trying to get out of that contract in another year or two.

61. bcvikings1965 says: Dec 12, 2013 9:16 PM

Seahawk fans, From a Viking Fan, I know we only have 3 wins, I’d still like to thank you for taking that Diva off of the Vikes hands and giving up some draft picks for him, too. Hopefully, those picks will help in the near future.

62. krvance says: Dec 12, 2013 11:36 PM

Is Percy’s nickname Boz? He’s looking like another Brian Bozworth to me. I wonder if he can act? Hi Hollywood…Heerreeessss Percy! Percy’s first line in a Hollywood movie, “Oh, Shoot, I broke a nail”