Former Shanahan quarterbacks pile on

Plummer AP

With Redskins coach Mike Shanahan telling quarterback Robert Griffin III to take a seat for the rest of the season, a pair of former Shanahan quarterbacks have stood up and called out their one-time boss.

“It’s not a fun situation and I feel for RG3 — a great kid, a really, really great football player – he’ll bounce back, get healthy and persevere through this,” Jake Plummer told Jim Corbett of USA Today.  “I see great things in his future.  But I think it’s going to be with a new coach. . . .

“I don’t think there will be a Shanahan future there. I think there will be a different head coach for this franchise quarterback who had a great year last year, and the knee injury played into this because I have not seen another quarterback this exciting, maybe other than Randall Cunningham.”

Plummer acknowledges he didn’t have that same talent level, and he apparently believes that guys who can’t play at the level Shanahan demands are destined for trouble.

“I just know from my experience sometimes Shanahan would ask too much of me,” Plummer said.  “I was pretty good.  But I was no Peyton Manning. I had to fight every day.

“A similar situation happened with me, and it happened with Donovan McNabb because we had our own styles, and it didn’t mesh with what Mike wanted.  What I see happening there isn’t the same, but it is similar.”

Speaking of McNabb, he did some more speaking on the Shanahan situation, too.  McNabb thinks Shanahan simply wants Cousins over Griffin at this point.

“This is about Mike Shanahan,” McNabb said on his NBC Sports Radio show, via the Washington Post.  “Mike and Kyle Shanahan trying to show why they feel like Kirk Cousins gives them the best chance of winning.  So many things have leaked out, and I’ve always kept my ear on things that are happening with the Washington Redskins, teams that I’ve played with.  And when you hear reporters that I know are linked to Mike Shanahan talk about [RGIII’s] preparation, you talk about he’s missing some reads, you know, he’s not reading some things. And I knew that he was big on having Kirk Cousins to get out there and run the offense.”

McNabb can relate, because he ended up being treated the same way in his only season as the team’s starter.

“I’m used to this whole deal because, listen, I was benched for Rex Grossman,” McNabb said. “And [Shanahan] came out and said [Grossman] gave the team the best chance of winning.  Well, Rex Grossman finished the season 1-2 or 1-3.  I mean, that didn’t help nothing.  And so, the whole thing about it is, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and look at yourself.  Stop looking at everybody else.  I don’t think that he and Kyle Shanahan can do that.”

If McNabb is right, it means that Shanahan hopes to stay, with Cousins possibly playing his way into the starting job for 2014.

As ridiculous as that sounds given the current atmosphere in D.C., stranger things have happened.  This week.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
61 Responses to “Former Shanahan quarterbacks pile on”
  1. joetoronto says: Dec 12, 2013 8:13 AM

The rat has to go ASAP, if not sooner.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 12, 2013 8:22 AM

I think having Cousins shine in these last three games is actually his only hope of keeping his job and/or ever landing another HC position. If Cousins does well and Shanny gets fired he can tell other potential employers that he had it right all along, and that if Snyder didn’t meddle, his 5 year plan would have worked.

Makes me wonder though if we wasn’t purposely trying to ruin RG3 last January….

3. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Dec 12, 2013 8:24 AM

McNabb: “And so, the whole thing about it is, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and look at yourself. Stop looking at everybody else.”

If only McNabb could take his own advice.

4. jessefootball says: Dec 12, 2013 8:25 AM

A few things:

1. Has any coach left WSH in better shape than when he arrived? Just don’t take that job.

2. Griffin is not prepared, playing poorly, and not 100% healthy. Also extremely self-centered and seemingly unaware that he is part of the problem.

3. Look for WSH to hire Griffin’s coach from Baylor and prepare to see a franchise completely destroyed.

5. 12strikes says: Dec 12, 2013 8:26 AM

Donny Mc playing the “Poor Me” card.
    Is there anyone in (or now out) of football that has cried about how he was mistreated more them him?

6. ravensrooster94 says: Dec 12, 2013 8:42 AM

What’s going on with Tim Tebow?

7. brandonofcb says: Dec 12, 2013 9:02 AM

I love how McNabb is bashing Rex Grossman. Both played for 3 teams, both went from starter to 3rd string, both were 1st round picks, both took their team to a Super Bowl. McNabb has the better stats but at least Rex is still in the league.

8. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 12, 2013 9:33 AM

I miss Jake Plummer. He is honest. I appreciate what he said, here & how he said it.

9. gward90 says: Dec 12, 2013 9:39 AM

I see all the RG3 haters are still here. What Plummer is saying speaks volumes about Mike’s character and his caliber as a Coach. Robert needs the reps and he shouldnt be sat down. But whats done is done. I hope he takes all this in gets better professionally and comes out in 2014 to have a career year.

10. wisconsinhillfolk says: Dec 12, 2013 10:04 AM

Rex Grossman is still in the league?

11. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Dec 12, 2013 10:33 AM

The more I read and put pieces together, it’s starting to sound like the big issue is Shanny has wanted to play Cousins and Snyder is all about RGIII. Both are being immature and not handling the situation properly.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 12, 2013 10:42 AM

Well maybe next time Dan Snyder will get a coach where it can be about the players, and all of them, and not just about Shanahan and his bizarre way of running a football team.

I really was pretty shocked at the % breakdown on PFT for blame, every person had a completely different number, and I have a different one myself.

I give at most 5% blame to RGIII. He has done nothing wrong except get stuck with Snyder and Shanahan. Snyder is at least 80% in the wrong because he is the Owner and he created all of this and he picked Shanahan. There is NO Shanahan problem if Snyder doesn’t foolishly hire him in the first place. I wouldn’t let him coach my team for FREE, for fear of the NEGATIVE stuff alone that would make that a bad deal! If I was an Owner, I would be the HC myself before I would go with a guy like Shanahan who of all things wants to be paid MILLIONS when I can do it better myself. Not that I would have to though because there’s lots of good coaches out there that can do good things and make my life easier. Shanahan just makes things harder. He should be paying THEM if he can afford the rate to go play and have fun with an NFL team for amusement purposes.

13. filmex2000 says: Dec 12, 2013 10:42 AM

The sooner McNabb realizes he was washed up by the time he got to D.C., and that his comments really aren’t applicable to this conversation, the better off everyone will be.

You can say this about Andy Reid, he knows when to get rid of a QB, be it A.J. Feely, McNabb or Kevin Kolb.

14. darcrequiem says: Dec 12, 2013 11:08 AM

It amazes me how little blame Shanahan is getting in all of this. I have to say he’s playing this perfectly, he’s using Snyder’s reputation to hide his own failure. Shanahan has had total control over the Redskin’s football operations for four years. He’s selected the coaching staff and had the final say on all of the player personal decisions. If Snyder interfered or overrode any of his decisions, per his contract, he could have quit still been paid his contract in totality.

RG3’s ” close relationship” with Snyder is a Shanahan creation. If he has such a close relationship with Snyder why didn’t get his wish to play in the preseason?

15. afewzigzagsplease says: Dec 12, 2013 11:08 AM

Fan or not Griffin is injured and not able to perform at the level needed to help his team. Having him sit is the best option for him and his future in the NFL.

16. scrp2 says: Dec 12, 2013 11:23 AM

I around the time Jake Plummer retired he spoke out against Shanahan. Even when the team was winning (Denver) Shanahan would have a depressing environment always criticizing the team. Jake said it was more upbeat when he was playing with the always losing Cardinals.

You look at a coach like Andy Reid who’s focus is winning games. He played to McNabb strengths. He didn’t try to put a square peg in a round hole. He won a ton of games with McNabb.

I think Shanahan can conduct a good practice and provide structure for a team.

You look at what happened to McNabb, you knew the RGIII and Shanny were not a good match. I knew from day one it would get to the point where it is now.

17. metalhead65 says: Dec 12, 2013 11:27 AM

what did steve young have to say about shanahan? that he did not care about being friends only that you do your job. that means making all your reads and putting the work in it takes to be the best qb you can be. you do that and you do not have a problem with him. not that young knows that much as mcnabb or the other guys who played for him since you know he is a hall a fame qb and mcnabb is a what is he again?

18. efangule says: Dec 12, 2013 11:42 AM

“I just know from my experience sometimes Shanahan would ask too much of me,” Plummer said. “I was pretty good. But I was no Peyton Manning. I had to fight every day.”

And that’s why you turned into a quitter.

19. emddis says: Dec 12, 2013 11:51 AM

I don’t like the idea of RGIII sitting for the rest of the season, but with RGIII playing is not going to make a difference to the Redskins season, but having RGIII sit out that give him time to completely heal and stop getting hit. So having RGIII sit will help the Redskins in the future.

As for the Shanahan, I think he is looking out for RGIII and the organization itself.

But I truly believe that the Redskins as a whole need to review their play calling and strongly look at new offensive line personnel during the 2014 draft.

20. omeimontis says: Dec 12, 2013 11:52 AM

According to these quarterbacks, a coach should be fired for putting a quarterback on the field because he gives the team the best chance of winning a game. If that is the case, all of the NFL coaches in the league ought to be fired right now, because that is what all of them do. Michael Vick and Matt Schaub are sitting on the bench because they couldn’t win often enough.

21. riverhorsey says: Dec 12, 2013 12:04 PM

McNabb lost his credibility when he flopped in Minnesota after flopping in Philly his last 2 years. You could throw the flop in Washington out entirely.

22. courtneyrush says: Dec 12, 2013 12:07 PM

It doesn’t matter who is to blame. It comes down to what will happen from next season. Can it be repaired? If no, then one of them has to go. If Snyder wants RG3 then there should be a new coach. If not, then RG3 will reap huge benefits from another team.
    Personally, I think RG3 is a franchise QB and it is time for another coach. Prior to RG3 coming to the Redskins, the plan was not working. RG3 only made it better.

23. tdl23ca says: Dec 12, 2013 12:07 PM

Shanahan is a genius and he is never wrong about quarterbacks!!!

“Let me say, when John Beck did come out [of college], I had him rated as the top quarterback coming out that year, and I didn’t even think it was close,” said Shanahan, who traded with Baltimore last August to get Beck. “I had a lot of confidence in John Beck when he came out in 2007. I evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and I do have confidence in John Beck. He was by far my No. 1 guy. I think the world of him.”

Uh oh!

24. madco303 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:08 PM

“It’s too bad he had to quit how he did. The way Denver forced him to Tampa to be a backup was crap. He had a couple good years left. He’s a real man. He didn’t “need” football even though you could tell he loved it.”

He may had loved playing but he wasn’t very good at it here in Denver. If it was for the love of the game then we all would be stars and never benched. Even Tampa knew he sucked and that is why he got the position that he did. Being a big Broncos fan I am glad Shanahan made the move he did with Cutler vs. Plummer. Nobody knows the true reasons why Shanahan is doing what he is doing… could be he just wants to get fired. Maybe Shanahan had his best years here in Denver and just got washed out with age like most players do… maybe he is looking for the equivelent of that 97 98 Broncos Team. I guess I have a hard time complaining about Shanahan when we saw what replaced him… the coach that shall not be named.

25. willycents says: Dec 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Probably the highest compliment Shanny could have been paid. Says he pushed his players to get better and compete for their position.
    As a hs coach, I push my players to perform above their abilities. The only way to improve is to be asked to do things that, at that moment, you cannot do. Improvement comes only from being challenged and putting forth the effort to meet that challenge.
    In the NFL, if you are not constantly pushed to expand your abilities, you will be gone.
    td’s from the shanny haters please. tku

26. jackburton77 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:13 PM

Plummer reminds me of Griffin..good in the 4th Quarter.

At least the snake could come back and actually win where RG can’t.

McNabb is a delta bravo. Dude gets winded eating a McRib…those are salty, just like McNabb.

27. msaltzma1 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:14 PM

Plummer seems refreshingly modest, he was an excellent college QB and had some very good years in Arizona and Denver. McNabb was also very good with Philadelphia and had a good run with an excellent coach, but by the time he made it to Washington a decade later he was done. It’s a completely different scenario with Griffin as he’s on his way up and McNabb was past his prime.

28. em11965 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:20 PM

This reminds me of “Any Given Sunday” Owner wants his qb and coach wants his qb.

29. sparent180 says: Dec 12, 2013 12:26 PM

The big elephant in the room here is that RGIII was not ready or able to compete to his potential this year. This has been evident all year long. Physically he just can’t do what he did last year. He should have never started at the beginning of the season. In terms of talent RGIII soars over Cousins but right now, at this point in the year, the Redskins have nothing to lose with Cousins out there and it is a move that probably should have happened earlier in the season. RGIII has not been 100% and he is extremely lucky he didnt injure himself anymore this season. RGIII has a long career ahead of him, and Shanahan will be long gone before his career is finished. He just needs to forget about this season and start working to assure that he will come back better than ever next season.

30. 1bigtex says: Dec 12, 2013 12:27 PM

Robert Griffin the Third (String Quarterback)

31. freepretzels says: Dec 12, 2013 12:40 PM

The idea that RGIII doesn’t prepare for games is preposterous. Alex Smith and RGIII are the hardest working QBs I’ve ever personally seen.

Saying that immediately makes me not believe Shanahan.

32. alanbob91 says: Dec 12, 2013 1:11 PM

What’s going on with Tim Tebow?

Let see you sheep..He is out of football because he is not an nfl qb But you guys wont let it rest
    32 teams have said no your not good enough so why do you insist that he needs another chance??

So tied of hearing this losers name in football posts

33. dannnl says: Dec 12, 2013 1:15 PM

Playing RGIII the last three games makes no sense from either side. Say he gets hurt playing in a meaningless game. Who get the blame? Say Cousins lights it up the last three games, which would be great, but I still think Shanahan is gone.
    Cousins is a hard worker and while he lacks RGIII’s athleticism, he goes through the progressions better. I’m looking forward to see how he does. Hopefully the O-line will man up and give him some protection.

Plummer is a straight shooter and he won some nice games for Denver. I didn’t realize Shanahan made things unpleasant for him there.

McNabb had his good days, unfortunately for the Skins and Vikings he was an Eagle when he had them. I was amazed at how inept he was at throwing the simplest of passes. A basic out pattern from him could be at the ankles or over the head, but seldom in the hands. DMac has turned into a bit of a whiner as well.

Shanahan has two rings for one simple reason – Terrell Davis. That stud finally got the pass rush off Elway long enough for him to do his thing. For some reason I think he still believes he has a chance to be here next reason. Considering his overall all record and his lack of guts in benching RGIII last year and at the start of this year when it was obvious he was barely sixty percent, he has to go.

34. dawsonleery says: Dec 12, 2013 1:16 PM

Bob Griffin III has other things on his mind. Like Money, fame… He clearly wants to be a superstar… Not only in the NFL but in the main stream media. He’s wants to go on dancing with stars. This guy is not focused.

35. danielmarcsnyder says: Dec 12, 2013 1:22 PM

Snyder,

You’re going to be out the $7M no matter what, so DON’T fire him.

Make him stay.

Make him stay and there are two possible outcomes:

1) He fails. His career would likely be over as an NFL head coach and he forever cements his legacy as nothing more than a smart coach that got lucky he had Elway. This is something Shanahan is desperately trying to avoid with this entire fiasco. He doesn’t want the chance to show he can’t win, so force him onto the stage and take a seat. Zero chance he would quit – he’d have to eat every loss a spoon full at a time knowing his career is ending with every swallow;

OR

2) He succeeds. And you can do with him what you will after his contract is up, but at least the team is a winner and a more attractive destination for your next head coach. You’ll also take some heat off yourself by showing the fan base you want consistency just as much as the fans do.

Make him stay.

36. wmgates68 says: Dec 12, 2013 1:53 PM

“I give at most 5% blame to RGIII. He has done nothing wrong except get stuck with Snyder and Shanahan.”

Other than have a 3-10 record this season.

37. mchappypants says: Dec 12, 2013 1:55 PM

Saw this coming from a mile away. Shanacan’t gave up WAY to much for Griffin. Dumb, dumb trade. One player a team does not make. IF, the rams nail their picks they are going to be one incredible TEAM.

38. blackdonnelly says: Dec 12, 2013 1:56 PM

Jake Plummer: Walked away from the game with his head held high, now he’s into handball or some silly game as such. Good to hear from ya, Jake, now go away.

Donovan McNabb: Couldn’t hold it together during “big” games but did a darned fine job with the soup commercials. Why doesn’t he just go away?

I think The Rat gets his last year, then he’s done in DC.

39. allsport1980 says: Dec 12, 2013 2:03 PM

Griffin isn’t playing well and ultimately winning a division title doesn’t buy you enough rope to suck for an entire season and keep playing. The Redskins drafted Cousins as well and now is a chance for them to evaluate Cousins and give other teams a look at him. Cousins could be traded for early round picks, which Washington has lost due to the Griffin trade.

Whether Shanahan likes Griffin or not is irrelevant since he has played him for 29 games and his current record is 13-16. How many sub .500 QB’s in their 2nd yr keep their job?

40. derek4dolphins says: Dec 12, 2013 2:08 PM

I don’t buy into a conspiracy by Shanahan to keep RG3 down for a second. There is a basic truth here that no one is interested in hearing. It’s too easy to blame Shanahan for everything (I’m not saying he doesn’t share blame)… Fact is… QB’s with the style RG3 is accustomed to playing don’t last in the NFL. They stay hurt, D-Co’s solve them very quickly, and they don’t have longevity. Just take a look at how Kaepernick in San Fransisco played last year opposed to how he is having to play this season. All those “Pistol” formations he ran have dwindled into 2 or 3 runs per game. The NFL has seen it all… and RG3 is nothing new. Whether or not he has the ability to be a franchise QB is on HIM…. HE must go out and get the job done. No one has given players like Andy Dalton or Ryan Tannehill a free ride because everything around them wasn’t perfect. Whether or not they know it yet or even want to hear it… The Washington Redskins and the teams fans should be wide open to the idea that Kirk Cousins is the better all around QB for the NFL. Because if Washington doesn’t figure it out… he’ll be somewhere else and they will… BET ON IT….

41. eagles512 says: Dec 12, 2013 2:18 PM

They’re both spot on

42. 1formeribo says: Dec 12, 2013 2:33 PM

And after trading 3 1st round picks to St Louis, the Rams are in the hunt for the #1 overall pick if the Skins keep faltering.

43. davemvh says: Dec 12, 2013 2:43 PM

Shanahan is over rated,big time.He inherited a team in Denver ,and he rode it to coaching fame,he DID NOT put the team together,and any team he has been responsible for from the ground up has failed miserably.His record,
    or lack of,speaks for its self.

44. channer81 says: Dec 12, 2013 4:22 PM

Still don’t get the McNaab haters, and being a skins fan I couldn’t stand him either BUT. He had concerns for Bob a long time ago, and how he and Shanny would work out.

And I’ll be damned if it didn’t happen, yet people would rather trust the papers instead of people who actually worked with Shanny. Football fans are funny.

45. jayo99 says: Dec 12, 2013 4:50 PM

The way I see it great coaches understand how to adapt their talent to compete and hopefully win. They understand that they can’t make the talent they have do something that they are not capable of doing well. They put them in positions to succeed. Whether they vary positions or change schemes. This is why the guy in New England is a great coach. He has won with injuries and less superstars than most. Any coach can win with great talent. To me the book is still open on RG3. The fact that the Redskins didn’t miss a beat last year when he was out hurt and Cousins came in and played well makes me think he is a bit over rated at this point much like his head coach. Alfred Morris and the 3 linebackers named to the pro bowl last year had as much to do with the Redskins turn around as RG3. Maybe the other players are tired of answering questions about RG3 as if the whole team is based on him. What we have found out is that when he is terrible they have no chance to win. It will be interesting to watch how things go with Cousins running the team.

46. maninstarks says: Dec 12, 2013 4:57 PM

I would say there were too many commnetators last year making out that RGIII was the best to ever come along after about half a season and then everyone else jumped on that train. What you are seeing this year is the real RGIII, just a middle of the road quarterback who probbaly won’t have a full career in the NFL.

47. kzer23 says: Dec 12, 2013 5:48 PM

tdl23ca,

Did you ever see the 2007 QBs????? John Beck probably is the best out of the draft class…. Jamarcus Russel, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, Jordan Palmer, Drew Stanton, just to name a few. I sure can’t say with honesty that any of these guys are clearly better

tdl23ca says:
    Dec 12, 2013 12:07 PM
    Shanahan is a genius and he is never wrong about quarterbacks!!!

Uh oh!

48. olefballcoach says: Dec 12, 2013 5:50 PM

McNabb was only good for one thing and now he is bitter… The only thing he ever did was throw a screen pass to Westbrook on every play!! U suck McNabb!!

49. octavian8a says: Dec 12, 2013 7:49 PM

Plummer, Cunningham, RG3, McNabb, hmm .. all running QBs, like Doug Flutie, and Michael Vick.

No rings _______^

Snyder _____ No rings

Shanahan ___ 2 rings

50. fdugrad says: Dec 12, 2013 8:01 PM

Shanahan doesn’t like Griffin, he wants to clean his office out, he wants to defy the owner, the knee was never healthy, leak this, leak that, etc,etc. God knows I do not have much insight about The NFL, however, even I can see Griffin has just plain STUNK this year. Is it possible the REAL reason Griffin rides the pines is because coach S. sees both QBs in practice every single day, is studying the game films and honestly decided that his diva is, after all a player just like the other fifty-two men, and is subject to PERFORMANCE REVIEWS, and is also actually in COMPETITION for his position, again, like his other fifty-two teammates?! Is it not ALSO possible the HC is honoring the WHOLE team by playing the BEST player at EVERY position, hence creating the best chance to WIN?! JEEZ, Shanahan OWES his players he is asking to go out and risk life and limb the BEST chance to win. Perhaps this occurs only when the other QB is taking the snaps.

51. tdl23ca says: Dec 12, 2013 8:47 PM

kerz23,

The difference between John Beck and the guys on your list is that when I read your list most people that follow football recognize the names.

I’ll bet you only 10% of people outside of DC even know who John Beck is (or was). No offense to him.

The point is not who was best in 2007. The point is that the Shanahan’s thought that Beck was going to be the next Elway and were obviously way off.

They’re on this mission to find the perfect quarterback to “run their brilliant system” in DC and have now in 4 years have burned through how many quarterbacks?
    Campbell who they dumped for McNabb
    McNabb who they dumped for Grossman
    Grossman who they dumped for Beck
    Beck who they dumped for Griffin (after going back to Grossman)
    Griffin who they dumped for Cousins

At what point are the Shanahan’s accountable? They never hold themselves to the same standards to which they hold everybody else.
    When they fail and make bad decisions it’s always somebody else’s fault.
    It’s that kind of “leadership” that has created such a toxic environment around the Skins.

52. harleyspoon says: Dec 12, 2013 8:58 PM

It looks to me like the Shanahan’s have instructed the OL to slack off and let the opposing defenses beat RGIII up…or they ave drawn blocking schemes that leave RGIII vulnerable…

53. lawmancpa says: Dec 12, 2013 9:13 PM

@brandonofcb – your comment is biased. You need to add some perspective when you state “at least Rex is still in the league”. McNabb joined the NFL in 1998, Rex joined in 2003….a 5 year difference in case you missed it. Also, Rex has started < 5% of games. McNabb started games for at least 95% of his career. If you are not on the field taking hits then you should be in the league a long long time. If Rex is still in the league when he is 40 then your comment would make sense. Again, add perspective, provide a balanced viewpoint, not just biased garbage.
    =================================
    brandonofcb says:
    Dec 12, 2013 9:02 AM

54. johnnywlkrblu says: Dec 12, 2013 9:14 PM

First off, I am a Redskins fan for life. Dan Snyder took a team that no one ever would have purposed changing the name of, and turned it into the disgrace that we now see today. There is no talk of the “Hogs” anymore, or anything even resembling that great era.
    That has been the overall picture for quite some time.

RGIII would be lucky to be traded out of the cesspool that organization has turned into. Coming from a fan that paid $100 for an RGIII replica, and tickets to the Skins/Eagles games for the last 3 years, that really hurt to say.

All I want for Christmas is for Dan Snyder to sell the Redskins. It was a nice try man, but it’s time to throw in the towel. Shanahan, take your kid and go back to Denver, or wherever it is low lives like you go to retire. I don’t like taking shots at public figures, but you kind of deserve it.

55. silentcount says: Dec 12, 2013 9:21 PM

The first problem is hiring a coach who used to be good for whatever reason, but is not anymore. The second problem is calling a new NFL quarterback great when he’s only had success in college. Perhaps if they called him Bob instead of RG3 he’d wind up playing better.

56. eagles512 says: Dec 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Ha-McNabb only threw screen passes to Westbrook?. He took a team to 3 championship games with guys like Thrash and Pinkston as his #1 receiver. Did more with less than just about anyone. People are so delusional it’s not even funny. Learn the game. And by the way, he predicted this would happen. Shanahan is such a phony.

57. timaug says: Dec 13, 2013 12:09 AM

Mike shanahan might not be the best coach in the nfl, but he is a top 20.

NO ONE CAN SAY RG3 IS A TOP 20 QB.
    HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRAFTED IN THE
    5TH OR 6TH ROUND.

58. racyman57 says: Dec 13, 2013 2:28 AM

I think Shanahan, RGIII and Dan Snyder are all guilty, to some extent, in how this whole damn thing has been handled since the kid got into the league. You have 3 egos there, that all starve for the attention and the fame, so it was never going to work. As far as McNabb, why has he become such a whiner? I mean, he was the guy who always took the high road when dealing with T.O., etc., now he acts just like him! I have zero sympathy for any of them and the NFL would function just fine if the whole bunch were to disappear. I root for the guys who remember that no individual can win a football game and that it takes teams, working in harmony to accomplish common goals, to be successful. Everyone mentioned, thinks he is bigger than the game and the NFL doesn’t need them.

59. mrrooster26 says: Dec 13, 2013 2:38 AM

@ Alanbob91.

I’m aware Tim Tebow is not an elite player in the NFL, but at no point does that make him a loser.

If you wish to hate people because of religion, or belief, or because the media shoves him down your throat… I understand.

But lets get one thing straight. Tim Tebow does more for the human race than all 32 starting QBs combined. He has helped thousands of people… had hospitals build where was not one, helped numerous charities, and used his celebrity to help those in need.

Not to get a supermodel wife, nor a 20 million dollar contract. Just help people.

I have 4 children that I hope are losers like Tim Tebow. I’m not a religious person…. But I’d be damn proud to be his Father

Just because he didn’t make it in the NFL doesn’t make him a loser. Look at Ben Roethlisberger. Twice accused of rape, runs his mouth. all about himself! Two Superbowls = winner???

Tebow is no loser

60. ravensrooster94 says: Dec 13, 2013 7:24 AM

alanbob91 says: Dec 12, 2013 1:11 PM

What’s going on with Tim Tebow?

________________

So tied of hearing this losers name in football posts

_________________

For those readers of this site who don’t have a sense of humor, let me explain a little joke. I’m equally tired of the RGIII drama as I was being Tebowed by this site and others all the time. I don’t miss Tim a bit. You’re right. He’s not a quarterback. I just wish RGIII would go away too.

61. dolfan72 says: Dec 13, 2013 7:38 AM

Shanahan knows he’s gone after this season, and he may be doing this as a way of proving himself or being spiteful.

As for Snyder, I wouldn’t take that job. He’s not even the equivalent of what George Steinbrenner was in Major League Baseball. At least Steinbrenner won championships. Snyder doesn’t have a Billy Martin to hire and fire five times!