Geno Smith: I was playing like a robot

951ffffd7ee9cc4bdee5f4bd06c786fe AP

Jets quarterback Geno Smith turned in his best performance since October in last Sunday’s 37-27 victory over the Raiders and he’s crediting it to acting more like a human being.

During the week leading up to the game against the Raiders, a game that came a week after Smith was benched against the Dolphins, Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg made loosening up a priority for the rookie quarterback. Mornhinweg felt Smith had become too focused on doing everything fundamentally correct and thinking too much instead of letting his instincts come through on the field. Smith agreed with that assessment.

“I was playing like a robot. Everything is not ideal on the field. Sometimes you’ve got to improvise,” Smith said, via the New York Times. “I think I kind of got into this zone where I just tried to be way too perfect. And that’s almost impossible to do at any level, especially as a rookie. There were times where I was so caught up in running the play and executing it to perfection that I didn’t allow my natural ability to take over.”

There was more improvisation from Smith against the Raiders as he ran five times for 50 yards and a touchdown, but the proof of a real change will come over the final three weeks because we’ve seen flashes of good from Smith followed by flashes of bad more than once this season. Playing the Panthers on the road this week will give us a better idea about the permanence of the non-robotic Smith.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Geno Smith: I was playing like a robot”
  1. bucrightoff says: Dec 12, 2013 9:05 AM

What a comedy show next years camp is going to be. Geno or Sanchez, who can perform the least badly.

2. sirsupersouthern says: Dec 12, 2013 9:11 AM

Robobust

3. broncostevenp says: Dec 12, 2013 9:17 AM

Reality check: you played the Raiders.

4. pisano says: Dec 12, 2013 9:22 AM

No Geno, you were playing the Raiders, things will revert back to what you were before the Raider game. The Panthers have a real NFL defense. Good luck, you’re gonna need it.

5. humb0lt says: Dec 12, 2013 9:26 AM

It was just the Raiders.

6. securb2013 says: Dec 12, 2013 9:32 AM

I think Geno should be the Jets QB for the next 10 years. Then again I am a Dolphins fan.

7. 23rdusernameused says: Dec 12, 2013 9:40 AM

interception robot, never heard of that.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 12, 2013 10:36 AM

I wish I could play like a robot, that sounds like an unbeatable advantage. How about a robot that is programmed to be a good QB and make good QB moves?

Nothing wrong with being a robot, the program and the software is the only thing that really matters! Smith is really confused and not off to a good start with his development. The Jets need to come up with a new approach to mold him into a star player.

9. ryann252013 says: Dec 12, 2013 10:53 AM

I hope he has a great end to the season so all you trolls will go away and stop bashing the kid. He is a 2nd round rookie quarterback winning us games with a putrid offense. The jets don’t have a Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson or Rod Streater like some of the rookie QBs have on their team. Geno has Kellen Winslow Jr.. enough said. He may not be the future but the next few games will prove if he is or not.

It’s funny how everyone will ignore John Elway’s, Terry Bradshaw’s, Troy Aikmans and Eli Manning’s rookie seasons that was nearly identical to Geno’s struggles.

Smith is also running a very difficult offense in his rookie season with the terminology and the reads in the west coast offense.

In my opinion geno has the “it” factor mentally and it’ll take a year for him to blossom due to the fact he inherited a train wreck of an offense.

10. whoisrdymlz says: Dec 12, 2013 11:00 AM

More like a TI-82

11. thedoubleentandres says: Dec 12, 2013 11:03 AM

Johnny 5….Ints per game

12. siggtacular says: Dec 12, 2013 12:17 PM

Plenty of interceptions for a robot …

13. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Dec 12, 2013 12:29 PM

Will the real Geno Smith please stand up!

We should play pretty good Sunday since Carolina is a good team….

But that would mean two wins in a row so maybe this newly identified non-robotic human factor will be the difference to get over that hump…

I agree with ryann252013 that the next 3 games will determine who Geno will or won’t be in 2014 for the Jets…

I love that we are still in the playoff conversation… Must really twist all the haters up inside :)

14. America's Team is God's Team says: Dec 12, 2013 12:34 PM

Top 5 worst franchises in the NFL:

1)New York Jets
    2) Phladelphia Eagles
    3) Washington Redskins
    4) Cleveland Browns
    5) New York Giants.

Top 5 worst Starting QB’s in the NFL:

1) Geno Smith
    2) Eli Manning
    3)RGIII
    4) Terelle Pryor
    5) EJ Manuel

15. kordogg says: Dec 12, 2013 1:32 PM

Touchdown!? Does not compute! Does not compute!

16. cwk22 says: Dec 12, 2013 2:18 PM

Wow! If that’s all it took to make him play better was to say “Loosen Up”, then Marty should tell him this week to throw 5 touch down passes and run for three more!