Manziel reportedly picks an agency while talking about staying in school

Manziel Getty Images

In June, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel said he couldn’t wait to get out of College Station.  On Friday, he suggested that he could wait one more year.

Appearing on The Dan Patrick Show after having the season-long Aggie muzzle finally removed, Manziel said that he could stay put if he believes he won’t be a first-round pick.

I don’t know what I would do,” Manziel told Patrick, via our brethren at CFT.  “It would be a decision I would have to make with my family and see what was best for me.  It would probably mean returning to A&M another year but I would just see what’s in that position.”

The problem is there’s no way to know whether Manziel definitely will be a first-round pick without entering the draft.  Sure, there are advisory panels and other mechanisms to gauge draft stock, but there’s only one way to definitely discern where a guy will be drafted.

Even if Manziel learns he won’t be a first-round pick, the question he then needs to ask himself becomes whether staying another year would make a difference in 2015.  The factors that would nudge him out of round one would still exist a year from now; the biggest thing that would change would be the list of teams looking for quarterbacks.

It may all soon be moot.  Via Rotoworld.com, Manziel reportedly will sign with Select Sports Group, the agency that initially represented Geno Smith in 2013.  One his Johnny Hancock is placed at the bottom of a representation agreement, Manziel’s hand will have been forced.

It’s the right call.  The NFL is ready for Manziel, and Manziel is ready for the NFL.  With the rookie wage scale placing a premium on getting the clock started toward the second contract, Manziel needs strike while the iron is as hot as it’s ever going to be.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
39 Responses to “Manziel reportedly picks an agency while talking about staying in school”
  1. GenXJay says: Dec 13, 2013 8:41 PM

packers want him.

2. stercuilus65 says: Dec 13, 2013 8:42 PM

The question is will teams waste a first or second roumd pick on this next Heisman qb to bomb in the NFL?

3. FinFan68 says: Dec 13, 2013 8:43 PM

These QBs are being told they could be #1 overall or very high. My guess is they are afraid to go to Washington who will no doubt pick high.

4. nkmho says: Dec 13, 2013 8:47 PM

I hope the skins draft this chump next year and remain the doormat for the NFC East.

5. bennyb82 says: Dec 13, 2013 8:48 PM

Well he signed with an agency that will tell him he is a top 5 lock…so he is probably gonna enter the draft. He may want to just stay in Texas for the draft though…just in case.

6. amazingguy101 says: Dec 13, 2013 8:51 PM

Vikings want him or Derick Carrs

7. kd75 says: Dec 13, 2013 8:53 PM

Seeing as Select Sports Group did such a great job with Geno Smith…Manziel should get Jay-Z’s phone number.

I hear Jay-Z got some unspectacular overachiever about $240 million last week.

8. ohioteamsusuallysuck says: Dec 13, 2013 9:06 PM

I’d take him on the browns anyday. He is better than anyone they got now for sure

9. louisianamatt says: Dec 13, 2013 9:10 PM

Yeah, the Redskins wont be picking high in this draft seeing how their 1st round pick is owned by the Rams. Soo there’s that.

10. scottychicago says: Dec 13, 2013 9:11 PM

Washington does not have a first round pick. it belongs to st. louis from the rg3 trade

11. briang123 says: Dec 13, 2013 9:24 PM

I’m a 42-year old amputee and there is a better chance of me lining up as QB at Texas A&M next year than Manziel.

12. slugbaitspace says: Dec 13, 2013 9:25 PM

I have serious doubts he will be able to live up to his nickname in the NFL.

13. juliusanonymous says: Dec 13, 2013 9:39 PM

This guy should enjoy some RGIII-type success in the NFL. Totally see the Redskins giving up another 3 or 4 drafts for him.

14. 4thqtrsaint says: Dec 13, 2013 9:40 PM

He wants to get out of A&M, yet will get drafted by the Texans. If that happens, I’m going to laugh out loud.

15. gborange says: Dec 13, 2013 9:43 PM

That huge Sumlin extension at A&M will be a joke next year. Manziel is that team. I am not a fan of his or the team, but he was more important to that team than any other player on any team in the nation.

16. blackbeard43 says: Dec 13, 2013 9:49 PM

He’ll stay in college one more year if he’s not picked in the 1st?

Oh, there’s plenty of teams that need a qb right now, ie. jags, texans, vikes, browns, raiders…he’ll be a first round pick, and my feeling upon seeing some of the aggie games this season I think he’ll be successful.

17. azjam says: Dec 13, 2013 9:51 PM

He will go in first round probably top 15. With the right team and coaching, he will do fine. Reminds me of Fran Tarkenton.

18. raynman49 says: Dec 13, 2013 9:54 PM

This guy is NOT an NFL qb.

19. Ferdinand says: Dec 13, 2013 9:59 PM

If Jerry Jones didn’t have such a massive, err, let’s call it a ‘physical infatuation’ for Tony Romo, I would expect him to go there.

20. swchiefsfanatic says: Dec 13, 2013 10:07 PM

Finfan—- due to the RGIII trade washington will not have a first round pick.
    I think this guy could have a legit career in the NFL. Think RG with an IQ and an arm. If one of the many teams with talent but no future qb manages to pick him up. Like Houston or the browns.
    There are enough teams with need at the position to figure him as a first rounder. Doubt 1st QB though most believe that will be Bridgewater if he comes out.

21. ravenswhat says: Dec 13, 2013 10:17 PM

This guy is going to get smoked.

22. donnymacjack says: Dec 13, 2013 10:34 PM

What Manziel needs more than anything is a little more maturity. That takes time. He’s still a young kid. I hope for his sake his family will help him surround himself with the right kind of people.

I fear he is at risk of catching the Todd Marinovich syndrome. Or worse, the Ryan Leaf disease.

He’s got all the tools and then some, but I would put him in the “high bust risk” category because of possible off field issues. I hope his family can guide him down the right path. I’d hate to see him in the same division as my team, but he is a lot of fun to watch and I wish him success.

23. Dusty Grey says: Dec 13, 2013 10:36 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, the next Ryan Leaf.

24. fdugrad says: Dec 13, 2013 10:47 PM

This guy certainly is oily, simply too slick by half a click.

25. doggeatdogg says: Dec 13, 2013 10:53 PM

There is enough drama on my team, so I’m getting my talisman and invoking the spirits to make my dumb GM to bypass this little feller.

26. rajbais says: Dec 13, 2013 11:09 PM

Johnny, please lead a trend!!!

Please talk other “student athletes” (aka improperly admitted and bogus education recipient Campus Jocks) into doing what you’re doing.

Maybe that phony Mark Emmert will finally surrender.

27. nfldoc says: Dec 13, 2013 11:40 PM

Skins traded their pick.

28. jacksonjames4 says: Dec 13, 2013 11:54 PM

I’m surprised this isn’t one of those stupid headlines that say “manziel picks a agent, unless he hasn’t “

29. liquidmuse says: Dec 13, 2013 11:58 PM

Uh, very doubt Washington will pick high, seeing as they don’t have a 1st round pick this draft.

30. favrewillplay4ever says: Dec 13, 2013 11:58 PM

With what pick will the RG-3firstroundpicks take him? Morons!

Only qb in this next draft I’d take. Sure he needs a slice of humble pie… But the kid flat out balls. He’d be perfect sitting behind Brady or Rodgers for a few years.

31. mmeyer3387 says: Dec 14, 2013 12:09 AM

I’ve read that some scouts see him as a first round risk. His size and being a running QB don’t help are factors that alarm most originations . Additionally, they are also uncomfortable with his on field antics. Third, they are wondering about his maturity and if he can assume a leadership role in the NFL?

32. duffer58 says: Dec 14, 2013 12:24 AM

There is no way in hell he will not go in first round.

33. mellimac says: Dec 14, 2013 4:50 AM

I agree, strike while the iron is hot. I have no doubt he’ll get drafted in the first couple of rounds. Just having him on your team will fill the stands. Would love to see him on the field in the NFL. An amped up version of Luck.

34. kenny328usa says: Dec 14, 2013 5:55 AM

Geno Smith’s problem wasn’t his representation it was the fact that he wasn’t nearly as good as he thought he was.

35. billsfan1 says: Dec 14, 2013 8:25 AM

the nfl is ready for him?
    yep, cause he will account for 50 plus td’s per year.

36. justintuckrule says: Dec 14, 2013 9:53 AM

Ok. Everyone knows the skins don’t have a first rounder. We don’t need ten more of you to tell us. I think the skins bashers are talking about using their high second to move back into the end of the first. Either way, their not taking in him.

37. jr507 says: Dec 14, 2013 10:26 AM

let’s see how many people dog Geno Smith next year after Idzik spends 25 Mill on actual offensive talent. Brees couldn’t succeed with Santonio the Quitter and the rest of the bums Geno throws to.

38. newjerseygiants says: Dec 14, 2013 11:09 AM

I agree on that one.

On Manziel…he’s such a likable young man, isn’t he?

39. darksidecowboy says: Dec 14, 2013 1:31 PM

If Johnny Football is sitting there at pick 15 the Arizona Cardinals will pick him. Carson only has one year left and they need a qb. Manziel with Fitz, Floyd, and budding new RB Ellington could be lethal.