Riley Cooper wants to re-sign with Eagles

5a498f3f49b60449c7963db0e56ffbea Getty Images

For a time this summer, it looked like wide receiver Riley Cooper might not be a member of the Eagles for the 2013 season.

In the immediate aftermath of the release of a video of Cooper using a racial slur at a concert, there were team meetings with angry teammates and Cooper spent a few days away from the team before returning to work. There were flareups after that, but things have been publicly calm during the season and Cooper has proven to be an important member of the offense.

He’s caught 37 passes for 714 yards and seven touchdowns and has played particularly well with Nick Foles, two things that have been vital to the Eagles with Jeremy Maclin out of the lineup. Cooper is set to become a free agent after the season, but said Thursday that he’d like to stay in Philly.

“I want to be back here,” Cooper said, via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Everyone around here knows that I love the scheme. I think I fit in it well with the bubble screens and the stuff that we do with blocking and being a bigger guy and a bigger target.”

McLane quoted an executive from another team saying that he thought Cooper’s use of the racial slur could impact the market for him in free agency, although he added that his feelings didn’t mean his team wouldn’t pursue Cooper on the open market. The Eagles have a decision to make about Maclin as well this offseason, but Cooper’s play this year has certainly made a strong case for keeping him in town far longer than it appeared he’d stay in early August.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Riley Cooper wants to re-sign with Eagles”
  1. cuda1234 says: Dec 13, 2013 10:39 AM

Tebow’s girlfriend is thriving in spite of the media’s constant attempt to slander him. Keep it up Riley!

2. kolbe213 says: Dec 13, 2013 10:44 AM

Gosh … I forgot about Maclin.

3. howiefeltersnatch says: Dec 13, 2013 10:47 AM

Riley Cooper needs quit worrying about his contract and score three touchdowns for me this weekend in Minnesota.

4. NoobTubeTV says: Dec 13, 2013 10:47 AM

Would love to see the Browns make a run on him.

Gordon, Cooper and Cameron with a new QB/HB next year would be a great start.

5. ordiggs says: Dec 13, 2013 10:51 AM

Oh this is guy that uses N Word liberally and organization that gave a Racist 2nd chance and now he wants to be reward for having a attitude like Strom Thurmond !!!!

6. ame123 says: Dec 13, 2013 10:53 AM

Ashley Fox’s head asplodes after hearing this.

7. s0merand0mguy says: Dec 13, 2013 11:04 AM

Personally I would love to have Cooper back. He’s a big, strong, fast wide out with hands of glue. He always reminds me of a bigger Wes Welker when I see him play. He does fit the scheme and has a good connection with Foles so how can you argue his case?

8. 1logicalvoicesays says: Dec 13, 2013 11:14 AM

Re-sign this redneck. He’s done the Eagles good and his teammates like him.

9. tmatic74 says: Dec 13, 2013 11:16 AM

Coop is my hitter!!!

10. bleedgreen1988 says: Dec 13, 2013 11:19 AM

@ordiggs… So you have a problem with someone giving a person a 2nd chance because he made a mistake and used a word he shouldnt have? Im gonna take a guess and say you werent this enthusiastic about michael vick getting a 2nd chance for killing dogs… If vick deserves a 2nd chance, then it is hypocritical to not give cooper one for just using one word he shouldnt have. People beat up their girlfriends and commit crimes all around the league and get 2nd chances. It would be redicilous for a players career to end over being stupid one night and using the n-word.

11. frankfordyellowjackets says: Dec 13, 2013 11:21 AM

The team’s on his side. Move on.

12. lorddarkhelmet says: Dec 13, 2013 11:21 AM

i’d take him in Detroit but I don’t think he going anywhere. He and Foles have a good on field connection

13. buzz4 says: Dec 13, 2013 11:27 AM

He will be a Bird again next year. Should be able to bring back Maclin cheap or another WR via Free agency or the draft. E-A-G-L-E-S!

14. upperdecker19 says: Dec 13, 2013 11:34 AM

Kenny Chesney supports this development

15. kastout11 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:08 PM

I want him back and I think the organization obviously want him on this team. If they didn’t think highly of him, they would have cut him in August. The Eagles offense will be scary next year if they sign Maclin and Cooper to go along with McCoy, Jackson and Eartz. If healthy and he is the real deal, Foles should have an incredible year, but lets take care of business this year before we start dreaming about their offense next year.

16. ace8842 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:23 PM

The racial slur thing is past history and was dramatically overblown by the media during a slow time of the offseason. He was drunk, he was mad at an African American security guard, and he tried to intentionally get under his skin. He was rightfully embarrassed, apologized, and the matter has been long over. As an Eagles fan, I’d want him back in Philly.

17. dawkinsalwaysaneagle says: Dec 13, 2013 12:25 PM

Before this season and through the controversy I had considered Cooper an average receiver at best. This year he has convinced me that he is a better than I thought. He still has issues separating from defenders at times but if his teammates accept him so do I.

18. tvguy22 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:27 PM

He’s going to fight for his contract. In fact, he’ll fight anyone who gets in the way of his new contract.

19. yevrag3535 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:32 PM

Hey, the browns blow…

20. richardmswartz says: Dec 13, 2013 12:39 PM

He’s a little on the slow side, but I like his hands, strenght, size and rapport with Cooper. Given his baggage, I think he could be signed w/ a home town discount. Given Maclin never lived up to his draft spot and acl issues he could be signed on the cheap too. The Eagles big get this off season is Byrd out of Buffalo. Chipper will figure out to get the most out of Maclin, Jackson, Cooper sets. If they sign Byrd and draft well, especically on defense, this team will be in championship contention.

21. goldback20 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:40 PM

Sorry Coop, Rather have Maclin…despite his ACL.

22. 23rdusernameused says: Dec 13, 2013 12:59 PM

goldback20 says: Dec 13, 2013 12:40 PM

Sorry Coop, Rather have Maclin…despite his ACL.

why not have both? Riley could be a great #3, Avant is getting up there and will be retiring soon anyway. Coop could be the new slot guy. What a nice slot guy too, BIG, tall and GREAT hands!

Go birds!

23. godofwine330 says: Dec 13, 2013 1:28 PM

Probably because no one would take a chance at upsetting the dynamic adding a racial tension to their locker room. I am not racist or prejudiced at all, but to add someone to my office who had been caught on tape using that despicable word in anger not even a year ago I would have a problem with. Even using that word in a casual, friendly way (which I also don’t agree with) draws ire from me, but I would have less of an issue with a person using it in its casual tone (although I would let them know not to use it in my presense).

It’s going to be dicey for him to see big money on this deal.

24. eaglesfanalways says: Dec 13, 2013 1:29 PM

I always liked Cooper because he had some size…DeSean at 5-foot nothing just isn’t a big enough target in the red zone. But, this year he’s shown that he can actually catch! Eagles can afford both…

25. ochospantalones says: Dec 13, 2013 1:48 PM

s0merand0mguy says:
    Dec 13, 2013 11:04 AM

———————

Ummmmm… Does Riley Cooper have ANYTHING in common with Wes Welker? Besides being white? Seriously, they are completely different players playing different positions.

26. s0merand0mguy says: Dec 13, 2013 3:45 PM

———————————–

They both play WR one plays slot big deal you are taking my comment to literal… Some guys are meant to play slot others can do all. Cooper is one that can excel in both. He reminds me OF Welker via his play style, execution, good hands, and route running. I didn’t say he’s Welkers clone, twin, or equal. I said he REMINDS me of Welker. And being you mentioned it… Yes they are both white and there’s not many WR’s that are, but it wasn’t a skin comparison. It was an opinion, calm down great debater.

27. ochospantalones says: Dec 13, 2013 4:18 PM

@s0merand0mguy

I dunno, you seem a lot more animated about this than I am. I do think it’s unfortunate to only compare white guys to white guys, especially when the comparison is highly inapt. There is really no similarity in their playing styles. Welker is a little guy who plays the slot and catches a high volume of passes for relatively short gains. Cooper is a significantly bigger guy who plays on the outside and has relatively fewer catches for much longer average gains. He’s also faster in a straight line, but not as quick a cutter. There is nothing about Cooper that reminds me of Welker, except the color of his skin.

If you wanted to go with a white guy on the Broncos, Eric Decker is a much more similar player. If we’re getting away from white guys, I would say Cooper has played more like a poor-man’s Vincent Jackson this year.

28. katcoot says: Dec 13, 2013 8:57 PM

Go Vikings!!

29. bigben302013 says: Dec 14, 2013 4:14 PM

I like Maclin but it’s likely he’s only going to garner a one-year contract coming back from ACL and no history with this coaching staff. Cooper has earned a new contract by his play. Sign both and let their performance sort things out. That’s Chip’s way regardless.

BTW, Cooper has little in common with Welker!