Vikings bring up a running back, bring back Harrison Smith

Banyard Getty Images

With running backs Adrian Peterson (foot) and Toby Gerhart (hamstring) both questionable for Sunday’s home game against the Eagles, the Vikings had only one healthy tailback:  Matt Asiata.

They now have two.

The Vikings have elevated running back Joe Banyard from the practice squad.  It’s one of several roster moves for the 3-9-1 Vikings.

They also activated safety Harrison Smith from injured reserve, placed cornerback Josh Robinson on injured reserve, promoted cornerback Robert Steeples from the practice squad, and waiving tackle Mike Remmers.

Smith, a first-round pick in 2012, was placed on IR in October, with the designation to return to play after at least eight weeks.  Each team can designate one player per year for return after being placed on IR.

The elevation of Banyard likely means that either Peterson or Gerhart won’t play.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Vikings bring up a running back, bring back Harrison Smith”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 14, 2013 2:38 PM

Well they don’t want AP to get a serious injury in these last 3 games before trading him to the Cowboys!

2. blacknole08 says: Dec 14, 2013 2:46 PM

Why bring Smith back? The Vikings seasons ended weeks ago.

3. tjacks7 says: Dec 14, 2013 2:47 PM

I thought Banyard was better than Asiata in the preseason.

4. f1restarter says: Dec 14, 2013 2:49 PM

Just in time to contend for the NFC North title.

Oh wait…

5. vikesgod28 says: Dec 14, 2013 2:58 PM

Ha! Trade him to the Cowboys? You’re talking about the same Cowboys team who overpaid for romo and now are so strapped for cash that they won’t be able to sign anyone this offseason, right? Ha! That’s funny.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 14, 2013 3:34 PM

vikesgod28:

Oh I’m aware of how bleak the cap situation is in Dallas. But Jerry Jones REALLY likes AP, and if he wants him, he can get him. He’s already legally tampered with him, and more will come. The cap situation is ugly, but where there’s a will there’s a way to obtain AP. And I think that Jerry has willed himself to wanting AP quite a bit. If Jerry wants him bad enough, he can get him.

Plus, what happens with MIN? Are you so sure they won’t fire their GM and go in a different direction? I understand he has a legacy there, but that doesn’t mean he HAS to play for the Vikings for the rest of his life. If JJ is prepared to make a crazy deal, then MIN’s best bet might be to suck it up and take the deal.

And yes it’s part humorous, the odds of a huge named player like that being traded are always going to be quite low. I’m not betting money at even odds that this is going to happen. I’m just trying to process the hints that Jerry is dropping.

7. deltaoracle says: Dec 14, 2013 3:44 PM

Trading for an expensive RB who’s past his prime would seem to be something that would be a perfect Jerrah maneuver.

8. shaggytoodle says: Dec 14, 2013 3:56 PM

I understand the a lot of teams have interest but I don’t know why the Vikings would trade him in the NFC …

I think that maybe the Chiefs can trade Charles and some 1sts… I also think that would help them a lot in trying to beat the Broncos whie they have Manning for a few more seasons.

9. rmavs says: Dec 14, 2013 4:03 PM

Jerry and AP have been blowing each other kisses but I doubt AP goes anywhere.

10. GenXJay says: Dec 14, 2013 4:06 PM

I assume that Jerry Jones would have all the time in the world to contrive a trade for All Day. Lord knows JJ needn’t worry who the ‘boys play this week.
    #easycheesy

11. ab243224 says: Dec 14, 2013 4:23 PM

thestrategyexpert-

Are you freaking high? Honestly, do you smoke crack? You are a fool thinking AP is leaving Minny any time soon. His roots go way too deep here now and he is far too committed to this team to leave. Since your such a damn ‘so called, self-proclaimed’ expert, why didn’t he go to a school in texas instead of oklahoma? Cuz he was dedicated to the program, players and coaching there. Just like in Minny, its not about the money you fool.

12. ab243224 says: Dec 14, 2013 4:26 PM

The only way the cowboys are gettin AP is if they trade their next 6-7 first round picks over the next 6-7 years. Atleast

13. farminfool says: Dec 14, 2013 4:27 PM

What happened to zach line ?

14. monctonvike says: Dec 14, 2013 5:09 PM

Gerhart will not be back with the vikes next year someone will want him, and he could end up being a starter elsewhere.

Maybe they should start and play both Asiata and Baynard to see if one would be a good fit to back up Peterson next year. They really don’t need to further injure AP

15. holdsteady76 says: Dec 14, 2013 5:12 PM

AD has a contract with no guaranteed $ remaining. He would rework it in a heart beat if it meant more guaranteed $. Dallas could could make it work. Honestly if they could get 2 firsts and a late round pick the Vikings should pull the trigger. Then they have resign Toby.

16. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 14, 2013 5:12 PM

i don’t understand why you would bring Smith back. they may as well shut most of the teams starters down like these last games are pre season.

17. whatjusthapped says: Dec 14, 2013 5:14 PM

Does this mean Peterson wouldn’t be getting his 2500 yards this year?

18. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 14, 2013 5:19 PM

ab243224:

If I was high I wouldn’t admit it until you first showed me the video proof of catching me. I learned that trick from somebody recently. No I don’t smoke crack. Also medical marijuana is something that a lot of people think is ok in this society, are you saying that if somebody has to use MM that they aren’t allowed to do anything or have an opinion about something? Although in this case I’m not a MM user so that doesn’t apply, but you didn’t know that to be the case.

I have no idea why AP didn’t choose a school in Texas. But I also don’t know why that would be relevant to the situational dynamics in play. It takes two to tango, and MIN should trade him if somebody is willing to overpay for him. And JJ could be their tango partner in a trade.

And perhaps AP’s ties to MIN are strong enough as you say, but I didn’t consider that he might not be open minded about having a strong enough motivation to leave. I settled in on thinking it’s possible he could want to leave. I might be very wrong on that as I’m not really familiar with Adrian on a personal level so I have no idea really. I’m just brainstorming and chatting about what I thought was a relevant and interesting question.

19. conormacleod says: Dec 14, 2013 5:34 PM

deltaoracle says:
    Dec 14, 2013 3:44 PM
    Trading for an expensive RB who’s past his prime
    —————————————
    You leave us no other option but to immediately discount everything you say in the future, because this comment is foolish. Past his prime? He was leading the NFL in rushing until last week. AP is like none other. His body will not break down at age 30. He is in impeccable shape. Look for him to play another 8 years. Then, when he is past his prime, he will only be a top 5 RB in the league.

20. thesconnienation says: Dec 14, 2013 6:16 PM

But the stem cell king has to start. The Vikes have nothing else.

21. thesconnienation says: Dec 14, 2013 6:18 PM

conormacleod says:
    Dec 14, 2013 5:34 PM
    deltaoracle says:
    Dec 14, 2013 3:44 PM
    Trading for an expensive RB who’s past his prime
    —————————————

_____________________________

While he is still one of (if not the) best in the league, he is past is prime. This does not mean he isn’t still great, but his career is on the decline.

22. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 14, 2013 6:22 PM

Look out! A practice player has been elevated onto a team comprised of players that wouldn’t make the practice squad for any other NFL team.

23. gtodriver says: Dec 14, 2013 6:34 PM

I think the odds of AP being traded to Dallas are about the same as Aaron Rodgers being traded there.

Not impossible, but highly improbable.

Although, AR is has a history of missing several games in a row now, so TT may want to dump him… ;)

24. cwilliams135 says: Dec 14, 2013 6:44 PM

farming oil

Zach Line is on IR

25. thesconnienation says: Dec 14, 2013 8:18 PM

gtodriver says:
    Dec 14, 2013 6:34 PM

Not impossible, but highly improbable.

________________________

Time to look at history son. The queens and boys have a history of junk like this.

26. corkumborkum says: Dec 15, 2013 2:57 AM

I’m seeing some serious bias from Vikes fans toward AP in this post. While I love my Vikes and AP (Only jersey I’ve ever bought), it would probably benefit the team in the long run to trade him to the Cowboys. AP himself admitted he’d be okay with ending his career somehwere in Texas since he’s from there.

The guy is lime no other. He’s the only runningback in NFL history to come back from a serious knee injury like he has. I say trade him for Demarco and a couple draft picks while we have the chance and are in the process of rebuilding. Jerry Jones has a hard on for Romo and has shown he will do anything to get Room a ring while with the Cowboys.

While AP is clearly superman, he’s getting into the later part of his career and isn’t going to keep rebounded from injuries. I say strike while the iron is hot and let his body fall apart with another team. And the Vikes should benefit from that now before he starts showing real signs of decline.

27. ab243224 says: Dec 15, 2013 1:02 PM

AP is still in his prime, why trade him, the guy has been hampered by injuries all season long and has still looked like the best in the league. It would be a huge mistake for the vikings to trade him. Simple as that. Like I said earlier, his contract doesn’t matter, yes, everyone wants to make money, but AP is in it for the love of the game. Jerry Jones would have to offer half his franchise to get AP.