Jerry Jones: I won’t give a vote of confidence every week

39c2b0a3509e82bc9632b7f1e88a6617 AP

The Cowboys lost a game to the Packers in brutal enough fashion on Sunday that owner Jerry Jones faced questions about whether he was remaining firm in his declaration to keep Jason Garrett as head coach in 2014.

Jones said he wasn’t going to give Garrett the vote of confidence that reporters were asking for because he had already given one this season. Jones added that his refusal to give such a vote was “not in any way a change” from what he said before about Garrett’s job security, although his answers about how firm his stance remained left some room for interpretation.

“I was firm for one night at that time and that doesn’t call for me having to be firm every morning I get up,” Jones said, via Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “So I was real firm then, so take that to the bank. Just take that to the bank. I’m not going to sit here and every time I see you guys, ask whether I’m firm or not. We can all play that game.”

Jones also said he didn’t need a chance to slam the door on speculation about Garrett’s future because of his previous statement, but you have to wonder how many more losses like Sunday’s can go down before Jones wakes up one morning with a different opinion.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Jerry Jones: I won’t give a vote of confidence every week”
  1. 12strikes says: Dec 15, 2013 10:14 PM

Biggest turd in the NFL.

2. trollsetter says: Dec 15, 2013 10:14 PM

Jerrah should win troll of the year.

3. backdapack4evr says: Dec 15, 2013 10:17 PM

Clown Show!!!
    LIVESTRONG Jerry!!

4. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Dec 15, 2013 10:17 PM

The ginger is a moron.

5. aaronfraudgers says: Dec 15, 2013 10:17 PM

Shut up, Jerry. You’re the biggest reason why the Cowboys have been mediocre for the past 15 years.

6. vikingapologist says: Dec 15, 2013 10:18 PM

U media people are morbid and thrive off of other peoples troubles , pathetic

7. dodohead418 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:18 PM

Jerry Jones, just shut up.

8. taosravenfan says: Dec 15, 2013 10:18 PM

I can’t honestly decide who I like watching lose more. Jerrah Jonz or the Danny? It is a tough decision.

What an epic meltdown by the Cowgirls. That is downright embarrassing.

9. puckster55pics says: Dec 15, 2013 10:18 PM

Jerry Jones is a senile old fool,glad he’s the Dallas owner as they Deserve him

10. crabtrap says: Dec 15, 2013 10:18 PM

Is he talking about the head coach or the GM here?

11. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Dec 15, 2013 10:19 PM

“I was firm for one night at that time and that doesn’t call for me having to be firm every morning I get up,” Jones said.

Insert punchline: ___________

I love Jerrah Jones.

12. coachkilla6 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

16 teams will lose games this week but only one owner makes headlines. Why can’t he just go away?

13. teal379 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

That assumes Jerry’s smart enough to know and UNDERSTAND just why Jason’s a bad coach.

Don’t think that will happen.

Jerry knows something’s rotten in Dallas but he doesn’t know what. Doesn’t know football well enough.

14. uwsptke says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Packers got Wade Phillips fired after they played in 2010. Could Garrett be next?

15. huthuthaiku says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Jerry has gotten
    Too much plastic surgery
    He needs brain transplant

16. blackhawks2010 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Pathetic loss Cowgirls. Jerry Jones needs to get rid of Garrett and Romo.

17. kingpel says: Dec 15, 2013 10:20 PM

I know fans in Philadelphia, New York and Washington are relieved to hear this. Never change, Jerry.

18. usmutts says: Dec 15, 2013 10:21 PM

I bet he hasn’t waked up “firm” in a long, long time.

19. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 15, 2013 10:22 PM

It’s you! ☛
    ☚ No, it’s you!

Welcome to Dallas in December: our annual comedy.

20. cabby782 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:23 PM

I think everyone is talking about what Dallas did wrong,but I think credit should be given to Green Bay players and Coach McCarthy for staying the course and winning this game. Great job of coaching by Mr McCarthy

21. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Dec 15, 2013 10:23 PM

What a joke of an organization.

22. padraighansen says: Dec 15, 2013 10:23 PM

Jones needs to fire the GM first.

23. northernwisc says: Dec 15, 2013 10:23 PM

I’m just wondering if Gruden is second guessing his decision to commit to ESPN for another year……

24. bert1913 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:24 PM

jerry loves coco puffs

25. daysend564 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:25 PM

Still on pace for the worst defense in the history of the NFL.

26. wisconsinhillfolk says: Dec 15, 2013 10:25 PM

Why does he talk like that?

27. odessabucs says: Dec 15, 2013 10:26 PM

Jerry Jones,

you are a fool and a stain on the legacy of the Dallas Cowboys.

28. honkerdawg says: Dec 15, 2013 10:28 PM

Jerry should get rid of himself

29. tyler4richardson says: Dec 15, 2013 10:28 PM

Does Jerry really care? People from Alaska to the Key Islands are still buying Cowboys jerseys and he really doesn’t seem to truly care about this comedy that he’s directing.

30. 1776dejavu says: Dec 15, 2013 10:28 PM

Firing Ryan was his 1st mistake, keeping Garrett was his Second, Relying on Romo was his biggest mistake!

31. mikesowers1 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:29 PM

Please give this team to Jimmy Johnson! HE is the last on with any sense that has led this team and that is nearly 20 years ago. From 1-15 to 3 rings (even though he was gone for the 3rd) is proof of where the brains were. At least hire a GM and stay out of their way so all us lifelong fans can see the Cowboys return to being winners!

32. kingpel says: Dec 15, 2013 10:29 PM

Moral of the story. Don’t ask Jerry Jones if he is firm.

33. ravenswhat says: Dec 15, 2013 10:29 PM

At this point, jerry just needs to hit us with a middle finger salute when they flash to him in his owners box. Bud would be proud.

34. cakemixa says: Dec 15, 2013 10:30 PM

What other owners hold press conferences after every game?

35. ragingmouse says: Dec 15, 2013 10:32 PM

“Come on dementia, senility, Alzheimer’s…please save the Cowboys”!

36. golforepar says: Dec 15, 2013 10:32 PM

Jones ought to fire the guy that hired Garrett!

37. moerawn says: Dec 15, 2013 10:33 PM

Jerry Jones has destroyed the franchise, but it is a moneymaker.

38. snaponrules says: Dec 15, 2013 10:37 PM

Who else is he going to get?
    Not many coaches would want to go to a place you are merely a puppet and ham stringed by a GM with no clue.
    I think garrett is a horrible HC and glad he isnt on my team. But it was Jerrah who ran the last D. Cord. out of town and brought in an old has been who is totally clueless on how the NFL works now.
    I was Jerrah who stuck the team with a huge contract for choking QB, not garrett.

The really great thing is Jerrah’s kid is just as incompetent and being primed to take over.

39. negativten says: Dec 15, 2013 10:40 PM

.Jerry Jones and the Cowboys,the gift that keeps on giving.
    Jerry,do NOT fire yourself,do NOT fire your D coord,and whatever you do,do NOT fire your head coach!I ‘ve come to need this

40. Youknowimright says: Dec 15, 2013 10:48 PM

If he isn’t firm he should call jimmy johnson for some of those extenze pills. Hey – o. But seriously please stop talking jerry. First you look like a moron and then you open your mouth and you confirm it. It is becoming very hard to watch this train wreck on a weekly basis.

41. captaincanoe says: Dec 15, 2013 10:50 PM

“I was firm for one night at that time and that doesn’t call for me having to be firm every morning I get up” Are we still talking about football?

42. jimr10 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:51 PM

Jerry… there is a village somewhere in the world that is looking for its own idiot…You qualify…

43. stuartscottslefteye says: Dec 15, 2013 10:51 PM

Before the 2008/09 season Jerry asked the NFL to schedule the Ravens for the final game at Texas stadium, being the Ravens had just come off a 5-11 season. Jerry figured he’d leave Texas stadium with a “bang.” Well the Ravens embarrassed the Cowboys that final game at Texas stadium. And, what I thought was the best part, was that only about half the crowd remained for the post game ceremony that featured introductions of about 100 former players, including members of the Ring of Honor.

Coincidentally, during that same off-season Jerry had hand-picked the Ravens for that last game at Texas Stadium, he threw a big chunk of change at Garrett a to keep him from signing with the Raven’s as their new head coach (Garrett chose to remain the Cowboy’s offensive coordinator). The Ravens have proceeded to go on to five consecutive seasons making the playoffs, including a Super Bowl win and are now working on their 6th playoff appearance under coach John Harbaugh. And the Cowboys are once again fizzling and their coach is possibly on the hot seat.

‘Tis the season to be jolly….

44. logicalcomment says: Dec 15, 2013 10:54 PM

—————–
    so true,i’m actually starting to feel bad for the cowgirls fans

45. backdapack4evr says: Dec 15, 2013 10:54 PM

Is anyone giving Jerry a vote of confidence!!

46. bmencin1 says: Dec 15, 2013 10:57 PM

It makes me uncomfortable to hear the words “Jerry Jones” and “firm” so much in the same story.

47. harbourimages says: Dec 15, 2013 11:00 PM

“Here! Quick! Clean my glasses again! I can’t believe what I just saw really happened!”

Jerrud Jones… a talking dummy!

48. Wisconsin77 says: Dec 15, 2013 11:01 PM

^^^^^^
    Eating popcorn

49. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 15, 2013 11:05 PM

In the midst of this ugly game… I would like to reaffirm my thankfulness that I am not a dallas cowboys fan.

50. golforepar says: Dec 15, 2013 11:07 PM

Jones thought if he bought a team football knowledge would come along with it.

51. lowtalker says: Dec 15, 2013 11:17 PM

@captaincanoe

Now that is funny . . . but I doubt he is that kind of firm . . .although with all of the plastic surgery you never know.

@northenwisc

not sure if any self-respecting individual would go to work for Jerry

52. doublezero74 says: Dec 15, 2013 11:48 PM

The Patriots are Americas Team now.

53. drs76109 says: Dec 15, 2013 11:56 PM

I think Garrett is incompetent as a HC but may e the real question is whether Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli can last the season, or maybe even the next 24 hours?

54. 1historian says: Dec 16, 2013 12:02 AM

Jerrah – today’s Al Davis

55. liquidmuse says: Dec 16, 2013 12:05 AM

“Safe for 2014″ is different then “I like my coach this morning”, Jerrah. But the guy’s only ever been good at digging holes…

56. liquidmuse says: Dec 16, 2013 12:06 AM

*than

57. andreweac says: Dec 16, 2013 12:06 AM

Jerry Jones is an amazing business man. The valuation of the Cowboys shows that.

He is also an unbelievably horrific GM and talent evaluator.

I highly doubt Jerry has the capacity to admit the team would be best served by removing himself from GM duties.

This ClownStrong show will last for a few more decades. As a Cowboys fan it pains me to admit this.

58. mcgee1234567 says: Dec 16, 2013 12:07 AM

Name the person who hired Barry Switzer, Brad Garrett, and Dave Campo to be head coach of this NFL team?

59. swaggyy says: Dec 16, 2013 12:27 AM

Does Jerry call for his own post game presses? I don’t see any other owners saying anything after games. Shut up, Jerry.

60. elimanningsjustthrewpick6face says: Dec 16, 2013 12:28 AM

Cowboys officials called Jones Sunday night to inform him he was being cut from the team, ordering the 69-year-old owner to clean out his luxury box and remove his personal belongings from the premises immediately. Jones, who was reportedly stunned to be removed from his ownership duties, issued a statement on his website thanking himself for all his hard work and years of service.

“Well, damn, looks like the ‘Boys couldn’t handle Double J anymore,” the blog post read in part. “I’ll never forget my time in the Big D, and how I single-handedly won three Super Bowls. Don’t worry, Jerry Jones will land on his feet somewhere, and when he does, Dallas better watch out.”

61. tigerpork says: Dec 16, 2013 12:29 AM

How’s spending that 100 million contract on Romo working out for you Jerry?

62. steeltuff says: Dec 16, 2013 12:55 AM

Jerrah’s fatal flaw is arrogance. He is a marketing marvel who understands economics. He has used this prowess as an NFL owner to make his corporation successful despite America’s Team’s mediocre performance on the field for over more than a decade. He does not have technically sound football skills, yet sees himself as some sort of guru and savior to the Dallas fans. His unwillingness to delegate football operations to a qualified General Manager is certainly consistent with his personality. I’m hardly a psychologist, but I often wonder how such an intelligent person can also be so impractical.

63. jrbdmb says: Dec 16, 2013 1:02 AM

“At this point, Jerry just needs to hit us with a middle finger salute when they flash to him in his owners box. Bud would be proud.”

Not sure that Jerry can get that middle finger up any more – at least not “firmly” enough that anyone would know what the hell he was doing.

64. NJ49er says: Dec 16, 2013 1:11 AM

Jerruh needs him some ZZ Top……
    Woke Up With Wood :)

Still think Promo needed a few more zeros on that Contract extension too.
    He’s not playing quite like Peyton just yet.

Maybe Scandrick can spot him a few schillings now that he’s been rewarded for being mediocre.

65. imatroll300 says: Dec 16, 2013 1:24 AM

jerrah Jones is the best owner in sports history. the guy does whatever it takes to win but usually he fails miserably. but u cant knock the guy for trying

66. trollaikman8 says: Dec 16, 2013 1:35 AM

Bill Parcells price just jumped up to $15M/year.

The Cowboys should be censored from television/media.

67. barbeaux says: Dec 16, 2013 1:45 AM

Mack brown line one. Mack brown line one.

68. barbeaux says: Dec 16, 2013 1:47 AM

I chuckle at how the falcons thing a big fancy expensive stadium will get them over the hump….just like it did for the cowboys hahaha. It certainly has nothing to do with the owner, gm, coach or players…..

69. tombstone7 says: Dec 16, 2013 1:48 AM

I am am neither a Cowboys fan or TR disciple.
    Romo couldn’t beat an AARON RODGER-LESS PACKERS!

WHO KNEW?

70. iced107 says: Dec 16, 2013 2:18 AM

Tony Romo – the most expensive, choking cowboy since Brokeback Mountain

71. taosravenfan says: Dec 16, 2013 2:34 AM

1. “How bout dem cowboys.”
    2. Jerrah – bless you for throwing enough money at Jason to keep him from coming to the Ravens.”
    3. Is there anyone with football sense that can tell me why the running game went away in the 4th qtr when Murray was averaging 7yds per carry
    4. I don’t care how talented Dez is, leaving the field before the game was officially over was bush league and shows of what he is truly made

72. 1509lucky says: Dec 16, 2013 2:39 AM

I’m sorry,but as much as I can’t stand the Cowboys,the league simply isn’t Fun if they’re not among the ELITE. The Patriots have done a So -So job of being “The Team You Lobe To Hate” but Dallas is just BeTTER suited for the Role.

73. mungman69 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:24 AM

Jerry Jones is the best coach in Philly.

74. olcap says: Dec 16, 2013 5:19 AM

I’m pretty firm every morning when I wake up. Maybe you should see a Doc there Jer.

75. doc91b1p says: Dec 16, 2013 5:20 AM

How about getting rid of Romo!!! He is the number one problem!!

76. kenny328usa says: Dec 16, 2013 5:33 AM

Jerry Jones owning the Cowboys is the best thing that ever happened to the rest of the NFC east.

77. bornaraider60 says: Dec 16, 2013 6:31 AM

With all the rule changes the NFL has made the one they need to make is an owner can not be a GM

78. cashtext4all.com says: Dec 16, 2013 6:39 AM

NFL is not the same when American’s team is not doing so good.

79. crubenst says: Dec 16, 2013 6:50 AM

Whose he gonna get to replace Garrett? No one decent will take the job & whoever does will be doomed failure by the undercutting gm.

80. drednot says: Dec 16, 2013 7:01 AM

ESPN is pathetic (no, really!!!) They’re focusing in on Romo’s pick and solely blaming him for the loss. I guess it’s solely his fault that the Def blew the lead to, right?

81. 1historian says: Dec 16, 2013 7:13 AM

Robert Kraft’s formula for building a good football team.

1) Hire the right guy as GM
    2) Sign the checks
    3) Get the heck out of the way

82. araidersfan says: Dec 16, 2013 7:18 AM

I felt bad about another horrible performance by my Raiders. But as always, Jerry’s words of wisdom lifted me out of my depression put a huge smile on my face (and I didn’t even have to spend money to go to a comedy club). I hope Jerry never changes and has a very long life.

83. 700levelvet says: Dec 16, 2013 7:31 AM

The “Most mediocre franchise in sports”…

84. voight444 says: Dec 16, 2013 7:49 AM

Hit Jerry’s wallet and he would hire a GM and coach in a heartbeat. the problem is as someone pointed out earlier, he is still making .plenty of money.

If fans ever quit coming and the jerseys of Whitten, Romo, Bryant and others stop selling, Jerry would go into Panic mode. As he once. stated, he was poor once and does not want to ever be there again.

He wants to play GM and coach as long as the money keeps flowing in the right direction. He will change when he is forced to change.

85. cometkazie says: Dec 16, 2013 7:50 AM

My wife announced when the game started that she didn’t like the Cowboys.

And she isn’t a football fan.

The schmuck is trickling down . . .

86. squapity says: Dec 16, 2013 7:58 AM

“It doesn’t call for me having to be firm every morning I get up”…

I think Jimmy Johnson has a product you might be interested in!

87. joetoronto says: Dec 16, 2013 8:18 AM

That the Cowboys are perennial losers isn’t the issue, it’s that Jerrah keeps saying they’re great, while they continue to lose.

88. craigkintexas says: Dec 16, 2013 9:20 AM

What some of you have finally come to realize is that JJ could care less about wins on the field….it’s only about the revenue. What a great hustler!

89. Youknowimright says: Dec 16, 2013 11:41 AM

I bet he hasn’t waked up “firm” in a long, long time.

————————————–
    That just makes me sad when I read it.

90. cowboysallday says: Dec 16, 2013 12:05 PM

I hate Jerry jones so much. If he has any brains left he’ll cut scandrick before its too late he’s almost as bad as Jacque Reeves was