Message sent: Shanahan wants to stay in D.C.

Mike Shanahan AP

The Redskins game of passive-agressive message sending has taken another turn, which was probably predictable.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN (and not any of his colleagues), Redskins coach Mike Shanahan “will not resign from his job and would like to return to Washington next season as long as he can run team the way he wants.”

Well, of course he does. What else would he say when he’s got $7 million reasons hanging in the balance?

It’s the next message that needed to be sent as the relationship between Shanahan and owner Daniel Snyder deteriorates/evolves, and by sending it straight through his longtime confidante Schefter, Shanahan has made sure it comes through loud and clear.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
14 Responses to “Message sent: Shanahan wants to stay in D.C.”
  1. romosmicrodongs says: Dec 15, 2013 11:11 AM

I love the caveat ‘ as long as he can run the team his way’. sounds like that is the true issue

2. thepftpoet says: Dec 15, 2013 11:20 AM

The Minnesota Vikings impending dynasty will hit the NFL by storm, but don’t see you didn’t hear it here first.

Talent wise, we have the best team in the NFL and arguably one of the best teams of all time (other than QB)

Once we draft our franchise QB (and we will) multiple superbowls will be coming to Minneapolis. They are setting themselves up to dominate the NFC for the decade.

Every team will start trying to emulate the Vikings in every way.
    Every fan will be jealous of Vikings nation.
    Every owner will be jealous they don’t own a historic future dynasty team like the Vikings.
    Every coach will fear traveling to Minneapolis to face the best team to ever play.
    Every team will be extremely jealous of the most talented team in NFL.

3. vottorific says: Dec 15, 2013 11:28 AM

Wouldn’t it be nice if two men could sit down and talk honestly and stop all the public politics. I love football, it helps distract from all the stuff going on in D.C. But wait! This is going on in D.C! I guess when in Rome……

4. seatownballers says: Dec 15, 2013 12:09 PM

Vikings on line one, want to do another Herschel Walker sized trade for Cousins!

5. chasezdad16 says: Dec 15, 2013 12:12 PM

Guess he should’ve talked to McNabb Lol…

6. humanlawndart says: Dec 15, 2013 12:20 PM

Not buying it Shanny!

7. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Dec 15, 2013 12:24 PM

Shanman wants to get fired and paid.

8. Dogsweat says: Dec 15, 2013 12:32 PM

I think Wade Wilson is doing a great job in Minnesota.

9. brassknuckles47 says: Dec 15, 2013 12:39 PM

Mike Shanahan needs to find a nice High School coaching job that fits his talent for passing notes in class.

10. dcsportsrcursed says: Dec 15, 2013 12:58 PM

Just curious….will this affect Shanny’s legacy? What a joke my life long favorite sports franchise has become. If I am any coaching prospect either professional, collegiate, high school, or Pop Warner I am not returning Dan Snyder’s phone calls.

11. Ferdinand says: Dec 15, 2013 1:14 PM

Shanahan needs to pick a side and stick with it. Are you trying to get fired or are you going to pretend you care? Pick one.

12. wisconsinhillfolk says: Dec 15, 2013 2:02 PM

No way a billionaire owner allows himself to be manipulated by a dime-a-dozen intellectual hukster like Shanahans.

13. floriofanboy says: Dec 15, 2013 4:38 PM

I do not think Shanny will be fired. Here is why. It was July 2009. I work at a high end gentlemens club. Shanny was in town for a charity golf tourney. Shanny has his own jet… SMH…he is one rich rat. Well, his personal pilot came into my club that night for 4 hours. After some drinks, I asked him what was next for Shanahan. His pilot told me that no matter how Zorn did that season Snyder was going to fire Zorn and hire Shanny to be the next HC of The Washington team. I asked why wait then, and his pilot said Snyder didn’t want to pay 2 coaches. This really happened. I was very surprised after that season that what shannys pilot told me came true.

I don’t think Snyder will fire and pay another coach. If he didn’t want to pay Zorns small salary but knew he was going to hire Shanny… I don’t think he’ll pay Shanny 7 mil to go home. This is Shannys mess. Snyder will end up firing Shannys kid tho. That will be to make Shanny quit. If Shanny doesn’t quit then, he will be a lame duck coach for sure.

14. rickc402 says: Dec 16, 2013 6:35 AM

Fire Kyle Shanahan and Haslett! Then hire Kubiak and Leabeau sign a second WR and draft offensive line and secondary please!!!!