Kelly dismisses talk of Texas job

Kelly AP

Eagles coach Chip Kelly says he’s not going to be the Texas coach.  Without actually saying, “I’m not going to be the Texas coach.”

Kelly’s name emerged Sunday as part of an ever-growing Longhorn NFL wish list.  On Monday, Kelly said he’s not going anywhere.

“I understand you have to ask the question, but I’m not involved in any jobs [that are vacant],” Kelly said Monday, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com.  “I’m the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and I’m going to prepare for the Bears, we’re going to prepare for the Cowboys after that.  Hopefully, we have an opportunity to go to the playoffs and I plan to be here for a while.”

Kelly is subject to an 18-month “show cause” penalty from the NCAA, which would expose any school that hires him to sanctions.

“I haven’t to talked to anybody,” Kelly said.  “It’s just speculation.  I haven’t spoken to anybody, nor will I speak to anybody.”

Kelly nearly took the Buccaneers’ job two years ago.  In January, after flirting with the Browns and Eagles, Kelly returned to Oregon.  And then out of the blue he became the head coach in Philly.

The key question contractually would be whether Kelly obtained from the Eagles a Nick Saban-style term that allows him to return to the college game whenever he wants.  If so, he has the same flexibility that prompted Saban to become the Alabama coach weeks after declaring that he won’t be.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Kelly dismisses talk of Texas job”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 16, 2013 3:13 PM

How come everybody is asked to take this job and nobody wants it? This is getting nuts!

Somebody ask me to take the job, I’m in!!!!

2. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 16, 2013 3:14 PM

Chip can’t go back there because of an outstanding warrant.

3. ace8842 says: Dec 16, 2013 3:36 PM

Word out of Philly is that Chip is quite happy in Philly with whom he is working with and the situation, and has no plans to leave. Eagles fans hope that is the case, as he has done a nice job so far this year. Once the Eagles get a couple impact defensive players, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

4. slew55 says: Dec 16, 2013 3:43 PM

It’s the most wonderful time of the year….when coaching go into denial about what they want from Santa this year. The Holiday language goes like this:

“I’m not interested in the Texas job”
    really means
    “I’m very interested in the Texas job.”

“I’m not talking to Texas”
    really means
    “I just got off the phone with Texas.”

“I will NEVER be the Texas coach”
    really means
    “There will be a press conference tomorrow at 1pm to announce I have accepted the job at Texas.”
    OR
    “I turned down the Texas job because I just got a new fat contract to stay where I am…”

5. hjb99992013 says: Dec 16, 2013 3:44 PM

These college coaches that preach “Truth, justice , and the American Way” certainly wouldn’t lie if it was to their financial advantage would they?

hard to believe this would be the case

6. vavikingfan says: Dec 16, 2013 3:47 PM

He is telling the truth about not talking to them; he doesn’t say his agent hasn’t.

7. mancave001 says: Dec 16, 2013 3:48 PM

No one believes Chip Kelly is going anywhere. Even those who report heat have talked to Texas.

8. kd75 says: Dec 16, 2013 3:57 PM

Chip (Who calls themselves Chip?) looks like he enjoys the Cheeeeeesesteaks in Philly. He ain’t goin nowhere.

9. blacknole08 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:00 PM

Add Jason Garrett’s name to the list of Texas candidates. He will be unemployed soon enough.

10. bleedgreen1988 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:37 PM

Texas is really full of themselves… They really think they can grab saban, chip, harbaugh and every other coach to drop what they are doing and come to texas to coach the wonderful longhorns. Texas is a dream job(according to “experts”), that nobody dreams of accepting. I just hope they keep striking out so this becomes a nightmare(see what i did there).

11. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 16, 2013 4:43 PM

blacknole08:

He doesn’t meet the pre-reqs. They only want somebody who has won a SB or National Championship (as a coach I assume). So he’s in the same category as me now, and I’m not losing the job to Jason Garrett if we both get an interview somehow!

12. wingz101 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:49 PM

The Eagles looked like crap on Sunday.

13. myeaglescantwin says: Dec 16, 2013 4:52 PM

any other successful NFL coaches you guys want to throw out into this conversation?

14. dprouse says: Dec 16, 2013 4:58 PM

Why does everyone think the Texas job is so attractive? If you are the Head Coach at a mid-major or a Coordinator at a big school, then sure, but if you are already an NFL Head Coach or the Head Coach at another top shelf NCAA school, why would you make this move? It’s a lateral move for you, and the pressure to win instantly will be immense.

Consider the fact that they just canned a guy who went 158–47, had a 9-4 record in Bowl games, won a National Championship, and had only one losing season on his resume. How do you top that? There is absolutely no reason for guys like Harbaugh, Chip Kelly and Jimbo Fisher to consider this job. Dabo Swinney? Maybe, but even he should think twice. Amazing pay, sure, but your career satisfaction and mental health have to be worth something also.

15. greymares says: Dec 16, 2013 5:03 PM

The only people that think Kelly is leaving Philly is the media that he continues to make look like fools at every press conference.

16. corkspop says: Dec 16, 2013 5:05 PM

Saban’s probably available. He signed a contract extension and said he’s not going anywhere. We know how much THAT means in his book…..

17. ravenswhat says: Dec 16, 2013 5:07 PM

There are probably 3 or so coaches in the playoff hunt that will suddenly become available for that TX job in 2 weeks.

18. steves11 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:14 PM

Tom Coughlin will be available. Mike Shanahan too. One of them might want the Texas job.

19. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 16, 2013 5:16 PM

dprouse:

You bring up a lot of good reasons to not want to take the job, but different people have different motivations. The main thing with the college job is being able to wear all the hats and make all the decisions regarding the full operations. Most coaches in the NFL don’t get full and unlimited power or control over the roster and the operations. And there’s less pressure and scrutiny over what you are doing, and some people like to not have to answer to the media and the public under the hot lens microscope that comes with being in the NFL. Take Shanahan for example, a long-time coach who has never walked out of a press conference early, but even he couldn’t take it after a point. I bet that wasn’t a fun or joyous moment of his job. In college, there’s much less stuff to worry about and that can be appealing. Instead of being laughed at every day in the NFL as he is right now, he’d probably be hailed as a king in some college town.

So in summary, simpler and perhaps less drama-filled lifestyle, more control over a football team so really more of a complete coaching job, and perhaps satisfaction in shaping young minds that are eager to learn instead of money-hungry players who treat things like a business rather than a football team. Functionally it’s probably more fun to be a college coach.

The question is probably better asked why would you want to be a coach in the NFL? And the answer is prestige, or competing at the highest level, or money. Personally I would have no interest in the prestige or money, I only like the NFL because it’s the top competition and I want to beat the best. Other than that, college sounds like a much better choice to me.

20. teal379 says: Dec 16, 2013 6:02 PM

No way he goes back to college unless he gets some assurances from the NCAA about the reasons he pulled a Pete C. and jumped to the NFL to begin with.

NCAA isn’t inclined to do that. Not for Chip.

Any discussion about Chip to the NCAA is a complete non-starter.

21. fetchezlavache says: Dec 16, 2013 6:07 PM

thestrategyexpert

Pro and cons to coaching at both levels. I’m not sure that a college coach has as much control as you think. A pro coach working with the right GM can map out a long-term strategy since the quality players are there for a couple of years. At the college level you now face the situation that a player can leave after three years. If that player took a RS, then you got two years out of that player. The college coach also has to spend a lot of time on the road recruiting high school kids and have to deal with their “shadow agents/reps” and their parents. Recruiting has gotten so bad that a friend of mine at a top national high school lacrosse program walked away from his job because it was too much to have to recruit 6th graders. College coach also has to spend a lot of time on the road sucking up to the alums.

Different headaches at each level. Just a question of which kind of headache that you are willing to put up with.

22. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 16, 2013 6:24 PM

fetchezlavache:

Well I’m sure some college coaches have more power and responsibility than others, but in general it’s usually a MUST to go out and recruit your own players, whereas in the NFL sometimes you have little to do with that if the GM is in control. So by design and default you have to wear all the hats in college much more often and likely than an NFL coach. And even in your scenario of a coach who is working with the GM, well he still has to debate and argue with the GM and win those arguments to get what he wants.

And good point about the TIME to recruit and the headaches with that. I can see that as a huge reason to want to be pro. I think that sounds like a fun experience though, so to me I see it as a plus to travel the country trying to recruit the best young football players. I think that’s fun! Also I don’t get headaches so those don’t apply to me, bring it on and challenge me!

23. cured76 says: Dec 16, 2013 9:12 PM

Chip has a 5 year/$32.5M contract ($6.5M avg/year). Coaches can leave for more money but there aren’t many college teams that will beat that number by a significant amount. For financial considerations, it wouldn’t make sense.

So the question would be: does he like the pros more than college? To that I say he hasn’t even completed one year. He is not Bobby Petrino and we know that guy has a few issues to work out. He’s a football junkie. He’s single. And he has said recently that post-Thanksgiving means he’d be on the recruiting trail at Oregon but his December in the pros consists of game planning for an opponent every week, which fits his junkie-like football addiction.

Just because most NFl coaches now seem to come from the NFl assistant coach ranks does not mean a guy who worked his way up through college wants to stay there.

24. swu32733 says: Dec 16, 2013 10:48 PM

The Oregon cheater will stay put a bit longer.

25. timasahh says: Dec 17, 2013 7:51 AM

Missed a good quote you could have used for the article.

When asked if he considered himself a Pro Football coach, Chip responded, “I consider myself a pro coach eight times this year, and six times I haven’t.”

Love the wit on this guy. Hopefully he does stay and can continue to build with the Birds and make them better. They disappointed last Sunday, but he’s taken a 4-12 team to the top of the NFC East with playoff aspirations, and while that might change come Week 17, it’s still exciting having been eliminated so early the past two years.

26. 23rdusernameused says: Dec 18, 2013 11:01 AM

After 14 years of Andy, I am very very pleased with Mr Kelly!!
    Please stay in Philly for a long time Chip! We are happy to have you!! I personally hope you’re the Eagles coach for 10+ years!!
    IN CHIP I TRUST!!