Mike Shanahan: I’m not resigning, RGIII “clearly” our starting quarterback

eac9152221281db0cbdd2fa6f675e1a5 Getty Images

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan cut his press conference short after Sunday’s loss to the Falcons, but he stuck around during his Monday meeting with reporters.

Shanahan was asked about media leaks before cutting off Sunday’s session and was asked about them on Monday in terms of the slew of reports on Sunday about his future with the organization and his son and offensive coordinator Kyle’s reported desire to work for a different boss in the future. Shanahan said he can “guess” where the leaks come from, but said that things come out with three-win teams.

In terms of his son, Shanahan said that he treats him the same as other coordinators on his staff and didn’t delve into specifics of the report. He also confirmed that he has no plans to resign from his job.

“I’ll get a chance to sit down with Dan at the end of the season,” Shanahan said. “I’ll give him my opinion on the direction I think the franchise could go. He’s going to give me his idea what he wants to do, he’s the owner of the football team. But all we can do at the end of the season is communicate and I think we have that kind of relationship where we can be honest with each other.”

Shanahan also fielded a round of questions about Kirk Cousins‘ performance as the starter and he stressed his belief in having “true competition” at every position because it was the best motivator. That competition only goes so far, though. Shanahan also said that Robert Griffin III is “clearly” the team’s starting quarterback and that no one should get “carried away” by Cousins’ 381 passing yards and three touchdowns on Sunday.

Shanahan may not be the one making quarterback decisions in Washington next season, so any discussion on that front is premature at this point. That would be true even if Shanahan wasn’t less than a week removed from telling us that he rarely tells the truth in press conferences.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
63 Responses to “Mike Shanahan: I’m not resigning, RGIII “clearly” our starting quarterback”
  1. blowpackblow says: Dec 16, 2013 4:17 PM

#crappyfranchise

2. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 16, 2013 4:18 PM

Slowly, incrementally, over a period of weeks & months, thats how you change quarterbacks. Not suddenly, unless he’s injured…

3. ninersareyesterdaysnews says: Dec 16, 2013 4:19 PM

This drama needs to end.

4. thepftpoet says: Dec 16, 2013 4:19 PM

What team is more dysfunctional?

Thumbs up for the Redskins
    Thumbs down for the Cowboys

5. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:20 PM

What a laugher.

Dear Mr Snyder,

Please keep the Shanahans next year and for a long time to come.

Signed -

Rest of the NFL

Something tells me the longer Shanny & Son are in Washington the more petulant and spoiled RGFragileEgo is going to act. Sounds like next year they’ll be going for a perfect 0-16 record.

6. jdbaker01 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:21 PM

Shannahan is a liar, they should ask him who was John Elway’s competition at QB when the Bronco’s won their SB?

7. enkay85 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:23 PM

Cousins is definitely going to look good these next 3 weeks going up against the 20th, 31st and 15th ranked pass defenses in the league. He had the benefit of an entire off-season and, even though taken in the 4th, was graded as a 2nd rounder by the ‘Skins staff and other staffs.

I have no idea if Shanny will be here next year, but you have to believe whoever comes in will have to pass the first question of the interview: “Is RG3 our starting QB?”. The way I see it, there isn’t anything Kirk can do that Robert can’t, but that statement doesn’t go the other way.

At this point I’m eagerly waiting the offseason and 2014. Happy Holidays.

8. strongmackn says: Dec 16, 2013 4:26 PM

Go for it when you can at least tie and win a game… moves like that should get people fired in this business.

9. steelersaregodsteam says: Dec 16, 2013 4:27 PM

Take note, aspiring coaches. This is how you don’t do things.

10. td30 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:29 PM

let me preface with, I know what mcdaniels did to the broncos (there’s a reason they had the second overall pick to get von miller, in the first place)

that being said, a lot of people and bronco fans were outraged with shanny being fired. I appreciate everything he did but his time was completely at an end in denver and he was running the team into the ground (worst defense in bronco history, and a one-dimensional offense). Despite everyone saying washington got a great coach, i’m not all that surprised by the struggles they’ve had

11. raaz227httr says: Dec 16, 2013 4:29 PM

Shanny is staying. Hass and Kyle gone.

12. pem34 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:29 PM

Well at least this isn’t getting old…

But, the one thing I have yet to see mentioned is that RG3′s contract is up in 2015. Washington has an option to extend it one year which must be acted on after this year.

Given all this nonsense, how in the world do they think they will re-sign him in 2 years (particularly if there is a lame duck year next year and then RG3 gets a new coach/coordinator and struggles a bit in his fourth season (and last season on his current deal)).

13. shatho1 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:31 PM

thepftpoet December 16, 2013, 3:19 PM CST

What team is more dysfunctional?

Thumbs up for the Redskins Thumbs down for the Cowboys

well If u wanna play it that way we’ll have to give the vikings a rating of…,.. oh wait they dropped off the charts right along with the redskins lol

14. wryly1 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:36 PM

If I were a fan of the Eagles or Giants, I’d hope Dan Snyder and Jerrah Jones keep on doing what they’re doing.

15. eagleseagleseagles says: Dec 16, 2013 4:38 PM

I really feel bad for RG3. Shanahan is about to waste 1 more year of RG3′s career :(

16. endzone says: Dec 16, 2013 4:42 PM

Advice to nice Kirk Cousins: Tune out and Ball Out like the furies of hell are chasing you. Because they are. I wish you luck as the QB of some nice football town far from the land of lunacy. I’ve lived here a long time and I am beginning to believe the US Congress must be spreading their nuttiness to our football team. Dan Snyder isn’t that a good future career for you? Sell the franchise and go suck up to those great dysfunctional folks on Capitol Hill.

17. thepftpoet says: Dec 16, 2013 4:42 PM

Every Redskins fan smiled with happiness when they heard this news… And then they read it again and it didn’t say “I’m not re-signing”

18. rdrs68 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:43 PM

So when will Shanny fire the DC? All he ever did in Denver was blame the DC (the very ones he hired) and axe them at the end of season for being the cause of a disappointing season.

19. bennyb82 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:44 PM

There is something about Shanahan that makes him very unlikable…it almost seems like he is playing games within the game against Snyder.

20. dirtydrynn27 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:49 PM

You can attack this team all you want by calling them dysfunctional,losers and underachievers,but peep this out!!!!……

I have a feeling they will upset those Cowboys,call me crazy or whatever but I believe Kirk Cousins,Alfred Morris and Pierre Garcon are going to light those Cowboys up!!!!!

21. abqhawk says: Dec 16, 2013 4:52 PM

The check’s in the mail,
    I gave at the office,
    It’s only a cold sore,
    I’ll still love you in the morning,
    RG3 is still out #1 QB.

22. kwjsb says: Dec 16, 2013 4:54 PM

That sure was a lot of draft picks for IR3 errr RG3

23. iwpalmer81 says: Dec 16, 2013 4:54 PM

I’m not saying that Cousins is better than RG3, but his fans saying there isn’t anything Kirk can do that Robert can’t. The same sentence Kirk could be replaced with Peyton, Tom, Drew, or Aaron. Doesn’t mean that Robert is better than them. Sometimes I feel like these gifted athletic qbs are almost at a disadvantage when learning the game. They know they can rely too much on the natural abilities when the lesser athletes who know they can’t run or throw it 80 yards have to rely on making the right reads, recognizing coverages and anticipating throws.

24. sidepull says: Dec 16, 2013 4:58 PM

enkay85 says:
    Dec 16, 2013 4:23 PM

___________________________________

How about the ability to slide feet first and having two healthy knees?

25. jjackwagon says: Dec 16, 2013 4:58 PM

Master Splinter has 7 million reasons not to resign.

26. weepingjebus says: Dec 16, 2013 4:59 PM

Let’s all take a moment to appreciate the miserable train wreck that is the NY Giants. Shut out at home with 5 ints, and their own coach called their offense “pathetic.” Dynasty.

27. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:04 PM

So was Prince’s “Bob George” (including the final line) written about RC3?

28. commonsensedude says: Dec 16, 2013 5:05 PM

Shanahan is so extremely talented at giving non-answers, telling half-truths and practicing blatant nepotism. In fact, if he does get fired, I think he’d be a perfect fit for becoming a member of Congress.

29. dkalev says: Dec 16, 2013 5:08 PM

quick q, is Grossman still on this team?

30. jgedgar70 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:11 PM

bennyb82 says:
    Dec 16, 2013 4:44 PM
    _____
    Jay Glazer said on Fox pregame that this is a big game of chicken between Shannahan & Snyder, and that the coach is deliberately sabotaging things. I’ll admit that was the first thing that came to my mind when the ‘Skins scored and coach decided to channel his inner Brady Hoke. Was this sabatoge, or did he really think they were going to get the 2-pointer? I also thought, given the day’s performance, how could he be sure the Falcons wouldn’t score in 15 seconds?

This is some kind of soap opera…

31. rajbais says: Dec 16, 2013 5:11 PM

Please Daniel Snyder!!!

Just get rid of him please!!!

He’s already not earned the right to come back, but for him to express delusion (regardless of its authenticity) should get him ousted anyways!!!

32. onbucky96 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:12 PM

“SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYYY!”

33. rajbais says: Dec 16, 2013 5:13 PM

Shanahan is a broken down car.

You’re better off just letting it get totaled rather than put time into it.

34. rdrs68 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:13 PM

Whether he stays or goes it is likely that he has coached for his last NFL team. Even those who were late to the party have finally figured out that Mikey is a myth of his own making and a product of self delusional thinking. No such thing as an “ex” genius.

35. officialgame says: Dec 16, 2013 5:16 PM

In the ongoing saga Washington team owner Dr Evil with mind full of hate for Coach Skeletor plots his revenge. What will happen next at Redskin Park? Will Coach Skeletor get his money or will he have to fire Son of Skeltor and devise a new offense for overrated Super Hero RG3? Will Coach Skeletor use his powers to raise Al Davis from the dead so he can extract a #1 draft pick for weak armed Curt Cousins. Where does the simple minded imbecile Logicalvoice stand in all of this as his pathetic world crumbles around him. Tune in Tuesday for another episode of “As The Redskins Turn” to find out.

36. PriorKnowledge says: Dec 16, 2013 5:24 PM

in all my 50+ years of watching football, i have never seen a coach down 1 point not kicking the extra point and taking it to overtime. Never heard of it either. THAT ALONE is a firing offense. He did it in pre-season also, but that was OK. Just end the game. But not when it counted.

37. schmitty2 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:30 PM

You know a real sad thing about all this…. it’s not like all these losses are helping them get a higher 1st round pick.

38. fanofevilempire says: Dec 16, 2013 5:33 PM

you don’t have to resign, you will be fired!

39. drs76109 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:38 PM

Maybe, just maybe, McNabb had it eight all along?

40. drs76109 says: Dec 16, 2013 5:39 PM

*right, I meant, of course

41. endzone says: Dec 16, 2013 6:04 PM

I dunno drs76109 Donnie McNabb always looked to me like he “eight” his way out of a job to me.

42. td40 says: Dec 16, 2013 6:06 PM

Who’d have thought that we’d be more comfortable with Jason Campbell under center than RGIII?
    Thanks, Rams and Redskins!

-Browns fans everywhere

43. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 16, 2013 6:21 PM

Mike says not to get carried away by Cousin’s performance. Unless of course you’re one of those QB needy teams who lined up for the likes of Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn in the recent past.

44. drs76109 says: Dec 16, 2013 6:39 PM

Can a coach or HC be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team? If so, then Mr Allen – where has he been? – needs to step in and do so immediately.

45. findynasty says: Dec 16, 2013 6:43 PM

RGIII has had a lousy season and was rushed back into the lineup. He needs to be assessed over a full off-season and OTAs. His footwork, agility and pocket presence need a lot of work. Tannehill has had a great second year but is still learning how to throw from the pocket.

46. davereckon says: Dec 16, 2013 6:48 PM

———————————-

You win.

47. thirdistheworrd says: Dec 16, 2013 7:24 PM

I know this site is no place for balanced and objective analysis, but I feel like this an accurate summary of the situation in Washington:

Fact 1: The Redskins are not a good team. As someone who watched every snap of their 10-6 season i can tell you those games were basically Robert Griffin and Alfred Morris vs. 53 guys. Playing within Shanny & Son’s scheme, those two put the entire team on their back and pulled off ten wins that should have been blowout losses.
    A quarterback’s second offseason is a crucial period of development. Griffin missed out on the entire offseason, but was then expected to put the team on his back and carry them to ten wins again. If there is>/i> serious friction between Griffin and Shanahan, this would clearly be the root of it.

On the other hand, the one thing Shanahan can absolutely be lauded for is building something with this team despite bizarre circumstances. During Shanahan’s four years, between no caps and cap penalties, they’ve had one normal offseason in which acquire the players he needed to run his scheme . To expect anything from a team in this situation is expecting too much, especially when that team started out as Jim Zorn’s (who?) 2010 Redskins. However, Shanahan certainly deserves praise for bringing in guys like Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Perry Riley, Pierre Garcon, Alfred Morris, David Amerson, and obviously Robert Griffin. Flat-out, the man can draft.

That said, he has to go. You can make a case for Shanahan based on the 2012 season or his strong drafts, but something’s gone horribly wrong in DC (insert gov’t. joke here). And it’s for this fustercluck of a situation, not even the 2013 season, that Shanny needs to get ridden out of town on a rail.

You ever have a pair of headphones that just got so horribly tangled that it was easier to just throw them out than even try to untie them? I don’t what happened here, I don’t know if anyone ever will know: maybe Shanny wants to stay in DC, maybe Griffin wants to play with Shanny, maybe Shanny could coach the team to 13-3 next season, but whatever the situation; it’s over, and it’s time to throw out the headphones.

48. notdemfalcons says: Dec 16, 2013 7:28 PM

Of course, Mike.
    “Logically” speaking, who WOULDN’T keep the best coach and QB in the entire universe?

49. skins1970 says: Dec 16, 2013 7:29 PM

The Skins are a mess but at least we don’t have players walking off the field with 1:30 seconds in the game to avoid shaking hands with the other team. we would never saw Art Monk do that, heck we never saw Ex Cowboy Michael Irvin do that.

50. chaddukesthebuttpirate says: Dec 16, 2013 8:13 PM

Shanahan will be back for Skins in 2014′

Book It.

51. mortyglickstein says: Dec 16, 2013 8:23 PM

“I’m not resigning” I’m busy posting onPFT as Logicalvoice

52. unitasftw says: Dec 16, 2013 8:31 PM

I hope they lose out so I can call him rg3-13 for the rest of his pro football life.

53. 6250claimer says: Dec 16, 2013 9:03 PM

Maybe Snyder can find out where Joe Biden’s been hiding for months now and offer him the job once he sends the Red Lobster back to Chesapeake Bay. He certainly couldn’t do any worse, and we could all quit losing sleep over him being one step away from becoming the next POTUS.

54. therealsmiley says: Dec 16, 2013 9:55 PM

Who cares! It’s cowboys and Indians week! Hail!

55. bigblackanvil says: Dec 16, 2013 10:40 PM

RG3 has stats that are better than several star qb’s. All this on an injured knee but yet you call him a bust. Ryan Leaf, J.Russell, Tim Couch were bust. BTW, compare his qb stats to Luck, E. Manning, M. Stafford…but RG3 is a bust? I think a lot of suffer from wishful thinking. Sorry losers. Your dreams wont come true. HTTR

56. bigblackanvil says: Dec 16, 2013 10:52 PM

RG3 has gotten a bad rap. I watched the post game conference from the Eagles game and what he said in actuality was so twisted by the media. The reporter asked him about the LAST play of the game. All he did was describe accurately what happened THAT play…. IN DETAIL. The media got it and ran wild. You gotta understand this kid was raised military. There are no cut cards. No sugar coating either. All i can say is a lot of you people are too d@mn sensitive. HTTR

57. worknman24hours says: Dec 16, 2013 11:42 PM

Seeing Cousins play in the losing game against the Falcons was the best time I have had watching a Redskins football game since before Griffin came to the team.

Because, for the first time in a very long time, the Redskins was a total team again.

Not a fancy quarterback and all the rest of the guys.

I would watch the team I saw lose every game next year and (hopefully not) and be happy.

Because they played like the professional football TEAM I knew they all could be.

Yes, there were turnovers there were mistakes but that was a damn fine TEAM I saw out there.

You all can get back to all the soap opera nonsense of the last year and a half,I prefer to remember the Redskins TEAM that I saw play on Sunday.

I look forward to seeing that Redskins team beat the snot out of the Cowboys but if they lose, as long as they play with all the great heart I saw last game, hey, feels great to be a Redskins fan again.

58. thirdistheworrd says: Dec 17, 2013 12:46 AM

bigblackanvil says: Dec 16, 2013 10:40 PM

__________
    I think anvil guy phrased this a little strongly, which tends to distract from the main point. However, hiz point is a valid one. Coming back from an ACL injury which many thought might sideline him for over a year, his stat line wasn’t as terrible as the media suggest. He passed for over 3,000 yards with a completion % of 62, substantially higher than Luck, Kaepernick, Eli, Flacco, and Stafford.

According to Pro Football Focus, 5 of his 12 picks came on tipped balls, bringing his total closer to Luck’s 9 and Kaepernick’s 8. Griffin 3200 yards passing was topped by Luck’s 3300, but exceeded Wilson’s 3k and Kaep’s 2.6k.

While Griffin clearly had the worst season of the four, his play wasn’t as bad as the media suggest. In other words, Griffin’s second season was much more of a Rocky 2 than a Matrix 2. If the mess can clear up in Washington, and Griffin can come back healthier and less rusty, there’s no reason to think he won’t be able to turn in a Batman 3 instead of a Godfather 3 in his third season.

59. cspsrbums says: Dec 17, 2013 1:32 AM

You heard it here first!
    Grossman will be starting QB for the redskins sometime next year. The idiots in the Skins organization will trade Cousins and then they will finally see and admit the clown RGme will still be throwing it in the dirt or over guys heads he can’t read a defense and makes the same mistakes over and over and then he will finally really gets benched, or he will get hurt and Grossman will be the starting QB. RGMe will not finish the season next year as a starter .
    You heard it here first!

60. frankpierucci7 says: Dec 17, 2013 3:11 AM

Not a fan of the redskins at all, but Shanahan is a joke. One of the most overrated coaches of all time IMO. The way he has alienated RG3 is very pathetic as well, and shows that he has no business being the coach of that team in the future.

RG3 has not had a good year, but he has not been helped out at all by his coaching staff, who continue to put him in terrible positions with terrible play calling. Just a very unfortunate situation in D.C. right now for their football fans. If it continues much longer I can see RG3 wanting to be traded away, and then everyone will see the harm that Shanahan has done when Griffin becomes somebody else’s Franchise player…

61. ziplock10 says: Dec 17, 2013 3:19 AM

There’s is 14 million reasons why he is not resigning!

Red lobster=$7,000,000
    His staff in total=$7,000,000

Sorry! Say Danny Boy all you want, but he ain’t getting the juice from the squeeze!

Worst Special teams ever. Historically bad D. 4th quarter prevent stats O.

22 wins 40 loses.