Stevie Johnson played Sunday after learning his mother died on Saturday

Tennessee Titans v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

Shortly after the Bills arrived in Jacksonville on Saturday, wide receiver Stevie Johnson found out his mother had died unexpectedly in California that day.

Johnson chose to stay with the team and played in Sunday’s 27-20 win over the Jaguars. Johnson said it was a difficult decision and that it was tough to focus on the game at times, but that he felt like he should give it his all “no matter what” and that he was “sure” his mother would be happy that he helped the team get a win.

“I spent a lot of time with coach [Doug] Marrone and we just sat and talked,” Johnson said, via the team’s website. “We talked about everything. It wasn’t about football. I felt good about it. He talked to me like I was his son or something. He made me feel comfortable with my decision whichever way it went, whether it was to fly right back or stay. I felt like we’ve got business here and I’m here already so let’s take care of business and we’ll deal with everything else after the game.”

Johnson is expected to travel back to California this week. Everyone at PFT offers their condolences to Johnson and his family on their loss.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Stevie Johnson played Sunday after learning his mother died on Saturday”
  1. mayers59 says: Dec 16, 2013 9:34 AM

Wow. Prayers to him and his family. :-(

2. cjspiller12 says: Dec 16, 2013 9:39 AM

You could tell something was up during the game. He seemed out of it. I give him a lot of credit for being with his teammates and trying to play through this. Thoughts and prayers are with Stevie and his extended family during this difficult time. Even makes it harder when this was an unexpected death.

3. briscocountyjr says: Dec 16, 2013 9:47 AM

A big loss at a tough time. What can anyone say to that?

Does anyone know if Marrone embraced him?

4. godofwine330 says: Dec 16, 2013 9:49 AM

An extremely selfless act. Being there if she was dying would be one thing, but after she passed there wasn’t anything that he could do by being there, sadly. Condolences to him and his family.

5. 407magic says: Dec 16, 2013 9:52 AM

At first I was upset that he didn’t give me much points in fantasy. Then I found out why. Prayers to you and your family Stevie.

6. jacksonjames4 says: Dec 16, 2013 10:28 AM

Cjspiller12: Man you’re really good. You can tell something was up, because you know the players emotions so well. Typical blue-collar buffalo bozos. You want to listen a real idiots, turn on the local radio station. It’s horrible with these people

7. buddysguys says: Dec 16, 2013 10:44 AM

@jacksonjames4

Cjspiller12 knows the players emotions just like you are the king judge of the media. Cant wait to hear your take on things on your radio show? What time is it on? Or should i say podcast in moms basement after she cooks you a nice lunch and starches your panties?

8. cjspiller12 says: Dec 16, 2013 11:00 AM

jacksonjames4 says:Dec 16, 2013 10:28 AM

_______________________________
    Maybe you should think before you post. Never said I knew players emotions so well. I was watching the game, Stevie missed a couple of easy passes and they showed him on the bench one time and he just seemed not to be there. It was just an observation.

9. joerevs300 says: Dec 16, 2013 12:11 PM

Man that is horrible. Prayers and wishes to Stevie Johnson. I don’t know any of us that could try and play in that situation.

10. mastereee says: Dec 17, 2013 2:24 AM

that sucks prayers out to steve… hopefully he can stop his chad johnson act and become a great receiver… has potential but bills need a qb and he needs to stop faking out