Kevin Huber not angry, partly blames himself for hit

Kevin Huber AP

Injured Bengals punter Kevin Huber made a surprise visit to the locker room Wednesday, wearing a giant neck brace, but blaming himself for the hit that put him in one.

Huber suffered a broken jaw and a cracked vertebrae after being hit by Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin. He said he’d have surgery to repair his jaw Friday, after it was temporarily wired shut Sunday night. He said his neck should heal without surgery, and he has all his teeth, so he’s got that going for him.

“I’m good. I’m feeling pretty good. The pain’s pretty good, pretty tolerable. It’s more uncomfortable than anything,” Huber said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Though the hit was illegal, and the league said a flag should have been thrown for hitting a defenseless player, Huber said he was as upset about punting the ball straight down the middle, allowing Antonio Brown to return it for a touchdown.

“I mean, that was the worst part of everything, it was my fault to begin with,” Huber said.

He said he’s heard from a few sympathetic punters, but hadn’t heard from Garvin and didn’t expect to or need to.

“If some guy would call to apologize for every hit they made, guys would be on the phone all the time,” Huber said. “I’m not expecting any calls.”

Huber was placed on injured reserve, and said there’s no reason he shouldn’t return next year, largely taking the high road.

“There’s not really much I can do about it now,” he said. “Me getting mad and stressed about it is only going to make it harder to get through. It is what it is. It’s part of the game, I know, big hits. Unfortunately I got one of the big hits and I got hurt and I have to deal with it. I’ll be fine. I’ll be back next year. It’s unfortunate and disappointing I can’t be playing right now, going forward in these last couple of games to get into the playoffs. I can get mad all I want, but what’s that going to do?”

Garvin can only hope the league is as forgiving when it’s time for fines to come out, but that’s unlikely.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Kevin Huber not angry, partly blames himself for hit”
  1. bigbabies says: Dec 18, 2013 4:21 PM

The league can fine him $1,000,000.00, but Garvin only makes 23,823.00/week. Meaning when he appeals the fine it will not exceed 25% of his weekly salary. CBA rules…look it up

2. Deb says: Dec 18, 2013 4:22 PM

He wasn’t a defenseless player. He was a defender going after the ball carrier. But I’m not allowed to say that.

3. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 18, 2013 4:24 PM

Now that’s class. Hope you heal quickly, Kevin.

4. rufustfireflyjr says: Dec 18, 2013 4:26 PM

One thing that Garvin didn’t mention was something that all of my coaches used to say when I played special teams in high school: keep you head on a swivel. He didn’t do that, and it cost him. I’m guessing that he will do that the next time he punts. The lessons learned the hardest are the ones learned best.

5. sweded775 says: Dec 18, 2013 4:28 PM

Was that a Bill Murray Reddit reference?

6. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 18, 2013 4:28 PM

From this came the expression, “He got hubered.”. Or, “Ha ha, did you see me huber that dude?”.

Often used to indicate malicious physical damage done to an unsuspecting party. As in “The bully dropped a five dollar bill on the floor while walking toward the science student, then hubered him with a knee when the kid bent over to pick it up. As it appeared accidental, no discipline was meted.”.

7. crownofthehelmet says: Dec 18, 2013 4:31 PM

Pretty embarrassing that the fanbase is crying and complaining more than the guy who actually got hit.

I remember posting once that the Bengals punter was their toughest player. It was a joke at the time.

8. nyjsec314 says: Dec 18, 2013 4:36 PM

The “defenseless player” rule is a head scratcher. If he is defenseless, he shouldn’t be allowed to make a tackle. He got hit, because he was in the general chase of Antonio Brown to at least in some way be involved in trying to tackle him, recover a fumble etc. The leading with the head on the chin was wrong, but I can’t see you flagging a player for trying to block an opponent there. Probably why the ref didn’t throw the flag, it makes no sense.

9. meatcarroll says: Dec 18, 2013 4:38 PM

Remember when everyone was praising Colts punter Pat McAfee for crushing Broncos returner Trindon Holliday? Erase the double-standard. If punters are man enough to dish out hits, they’re man enough to take them as well.

10. meatcarroll says: Dec 18, 2013 4:38 PM

11. 8oneanddones says: Dec 18, 2013 4:39 PM

Cracked vertebrae in the neck? This guy is lucky he walked off the field.

12. 1964bclions says: Dec 18, 2013 4:39 PM

Good attitude kid.

Now go drink your vanilla flavored (Ensure)supper.

13. footballfan01 says: Dec 18, 2013 4:40 PM

Kickers should wear conspicuous pink jerseys so everyone remembers they’re defenseless at all times.

14. marvsleezy says: Dec 18, 2013 4:41 PM

All punters are deemed defenseless by the rules. And if you take a cheap shot to a punter you deserve a suspension. 2 games, let him appeal it down to 1.

I hope someone hits him under the facemask when hes not looking – That takes a really big man.

15. pbastille says: Dec 18, 2013 4:41 PM

Great attitude. Something a lot of troll posters could learn from.

16. junglerat524 says: Dec 18, 2013 4:43 PM

Looks like Garvin played for free last weekend.

17. enoughofthatalready says: Dec 18, 2013 4:46 PM

I have to applaud this guy for telling it like it is. Plus the defenseless player thing is a bunch of bull. Huber was in position to make a play on the runner. Sure, Garvin could have hit him in the chest but Huber is 3 inches shorter than Garvin and they were coming diectly at each other at a good speed. Garvin did not intend to cause injury, that does not happen. Besides……..I do not know why people are so uptight about it because before Huber left the game the score was 21-0 because of his 3 punts. After that, the Bengals led the scoring 20-9. Injury aside, Garvin did the Bengals a favor.

18. robt927 says: Dec 18, 2013 5:06 PM

Last I checked “punters” are on a football team. How can they be permanently considered “defenseless” unless after he kicks the ball he runs off the field immediately and makes no play after the kick.

19. junglerat524 says: Dec 18, 2013 5:07 PM

25K fine. Light

20. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 18, 2013 5:17 PM

You really gotta respect Huber. Pretty impressive.

21. vottorific says: Dec 18, 2013 5:32 PM

Classy dude.

22. randomguy9999 says: Dec 18, 2013 5:34 PM

Huber certainly took the high road considering a broken jaw that is wired shut and will require surgical reconstruction and a broken neck vertebrae…. hats off to him. He’s lucky he’s able to walk and will be able to play.

Garvin on the other hand took the low road both on the play and since it happened … he should have called.

23. thirdngoal says: Dec 18, 2013 5:53 PM

Maybe they should say he’s defenseless behind the line of scrimmage, but if he crosses that line he is fair game as anyone else on the field. Now I didn’t say he can take a hit to the head, but he can be hit, blocked, ect., like the other 10 guys

24. steelcurtainn says: Dec 18, 2013 6:21 PM

He should partly blame himself. He should do himself favor and get out of the way next time so things of this nature won’t happen again.

25. Deb says: Dec 18, 2013 6:35 PM

thirdngoal says:

————————————————-
    That’s a sensible solution everyone on the field can understand. We’ve all seen kickers and punters who choose to run out of bounds and others who choose to make the tackle. This way, everyone understands the risks.

Huber, though, gets credit for telling reporters ” It’s hard to get mad at him for making that block, because that’s what he’s coached to do and he made the right block, obviously, and it sprung a touchdown.”

26. supermadelf says: Dec 18, 2013 6:36 PM

“It’s a Mans World” and we are living in his. ‘Good Show’ from a Browns Fan.

27. hor2012 says: Dec 18, 2013 7:34 PM

He was trying to make a tackle. I don’t see what the issue is here

28. stoptrippn says: Dec 18, 2013 9:44 PM

Huber you will make a great comeback