Return of Terrell Thomas a bright spot in Giants’ lost season

Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants Getty Images

The Giants are 5-9, and they will miss the playoffs for a second straight season, but a nice story has played out in their defensive backfield, as cornerback Terrell Thomas has made a successful return from two right ACL tears.

The 28-year-old Thomas has played in all 14 games in 2013 after missing the last two regular seasons, notching 62 tackles and making five starts.

“It’s been a struggle, it’s been a grind but the one thing I’ve always counted on is just my faith and just being blessed to play this game again,” Thomas told reporters Thursday, according to a transcript from the Giants. “No matter how hard it got, I just said, ‘You know what, you could be at home playing Xbox, miserable like I’ve been the last two years.’ ”

Thomas noted that he was “looking forward to the offseason just to rest and be able to catch up and not have to rehab. I can actually get ahead and be able to work on football stuff and not just trying to get healthy enough to play football again.”

Thomas’ knee troubles began in the 2011 preseason, when he was injured against Chicago. His 2012 comeback ended in another ACL injury.

A free agent after the season, Thomas will be 29 in January. Should he test free agency, there will be plenty of questions about how the right knee will hold up, but there’s no doubting his tolerance for hard work.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Return of Terrell Thomas a bright spot in Giants’ lost season”
  1. rajbais says: Dec 20, 2013 12:10 AM

It will be if he contributes to the Lions feeling the need to fire Jim Schwartz.

Upset Special: Giants beat Lions!!!

2. DonRSD says: Dec 20, 2013 1:50 AM

Let me guess Reese – another 1 year contract!!!
    And you wonder why 80% of our roster has no “Giant Pride”.

3. kappy32 says: Dec 20, 2013 2:59 AM

I’m a huge T2 fan & I am thrilled for him that his career has continued & that he thrived this year. After his 2010 season, Thomas was ready to explode & become a top flight CB. Thomas has lost a step due to the injuries, but he is still a very physical CB who is great against the run. His stellar play recognition is very rare for a CB & it compensates for his minor loss of speed. Unfortunately, I am a diehard Giants fan as well & his success has put him in a situation where he will likely get an offer the Giants can’t match. With Webster most likely on his way out of town, T2 could have stepped in as the other CB opposite Prince Amukamara. Nevertheless, regardless of whether he stays with the Giants or lands with another team, I wish him the best & I will continue to pull for him where ever he ends up. He’s a true testament to the amazing advancements in sports medicine.

4. bigblu73 says: Dec 20, 2013 3:36 AM

I hope we keep him! We waited too long to let him go after having a productive year…..

5. gunnybunny31 says: Dec 20, 2013 6:02 AM

A tough tackler with a good nose for the ball.

6. maurysline says: Dec 20, 2013 6:24 AM

This kid was on his way to becoming one of the better corners in the league ( not quite Pro Bowl…but one step under) when he suffered the third knee tear.
    Decent cover skills and very good tackler for a corner.
    It is truly astonishing he has come back to a decent level of NFL play his first year of the last surgery.
    With the first off season of no injury rehab and full time regular workouts and camps it will be interesting to see how he produces next year.
    My guess is he will become a safety in the future …..ala Antrel Rolle.

7. giantsfan82 says: Dec 20, 2013 6:31 AM

A class act, humble, a hard worker and a talented football player. This man deserves a roster spot next year.

8. roadtrip3500 says: Dec 20, 2013 8:15 AM

With Corey Webster likely done as a Giant, TT could be a salary-cap blessing if he’s agreeable to an incentive-laden contract. A normal off-season with OTAs and mini-camps (instead of rehab) should bring TT even further up to speed, making him a good pair with Prince. Put Hosley in the slot, and sign another experienced veteran to fight with McBride for the 4th CB spot. Draft a tall, fast CB in the middle rounds who can stay with the bigger WRs and go get fade patterns in the end zone.

9. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 20, 2013 8:34 AM

I’m at home playing Xbox, I’m having a great time and my knees are in great shape, sadly there may be some carpal tunnel developing but that is really just evening-out the playing field for the schmucks I hunt online. Free for All. hivillain.