Tony Gonzalez: I could come back, but I won’t

a8b1f9b417b8e76c39840b0c8665408c AP

There are two games left in the regular season, which means that there are two games left in Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez’s career.

Unless, of course, he decides to reverse course and come back for the 2014 season. Gonzalez was asked about that possibility during a conference call with 49ers media on Thursday and he said that his mind remains set on calling it a career after Week 17.

“I absolutely could,” Gonzalez said, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “But it’s the end of the road for me. I put everything out there and I’m completely satisfied. I don’t have any regrets and I look forward to what’s next.”

The only caveat Gonzalez offered was that he would consider another season if there were a team in Los Angeles, where his 12-year-old son lives. Of course, there isn’t a team in Los Angeles and there’s unlikely to be one by the start of the 2014 season so we’ll be saying goodbye to Gonzalez just before we say goodbye to 2013.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Tony Gonzalez: I could come back, but I won’t”
  1. ziggystheansah says: Dec 19, 2013 2:07 PM

GOAT

2. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Dec 19, 2013 2:08 PM

That’s what you said last year.

3. scoops1 says: Dec 19, 2013 2:08 PM

Good Father…Go Home and Play w/ Your Kids…

4. ravenswhat says: Dec 19, 2013 2:11 PM

This guy is 100% coming back. It’s obv when you watch the games that he can play for at least 2 more years.

5. nelly837 says: Dec 19, 2013 2:14 PM

Unless of course the phone rings and it’s the Chiefs on the other end. I’m sure Tony would jump at the chance to play one more year for the Chiefs knowing that they would be one of the favorites to make it to the Super Bowl next year.

6. tmcb7 says: Dec 19, 2013 2:17 PM

If I’m the Falcons, I put him in their Ring of Honor 5 minutes after the last game is over.
    No doubt about it.

7. mayers59 says: Dec 19, 2013 2:18 PM

Best tight end ever. Period. I say this and I’m a HUGE John Mackey fan, who was considered the best ever. Will be missed. One of the few who played the game the right way.

Oh, and he said last year he was 95% sure, until his family talked him into playing another season TGTTTG.

8. imthaschmidt says: Dec 19, 2013 2:21 PM

just like Atlanta was supposed to go to the super bowl this year? In the NFL it is never a guarantee you will get there. his best bet is to stay available to about week 12-15 see who is in the best position and come on as a FA for the playoff run.

9. grabgrabgrab says: Dec 19, 2013 2:24 PM

Another great falls without having a title linked to his name. Sad, because he’s more than deserving of one. Obviously.

10. badmoonrison says: Dec 19, 2013 2:32 PM

Come to the Raiders. We’re only a 45 minute plane ride to LAX.

11. mrlaloosh says: Dec 19, 2013 2:39 PM

Bye, Tony. Shoulda stayed with the Chiefs. Atlanta is fools gold as long as Matty Melt is the QB and Meek Smith is the head coach.

12. Ihateflorio says: Dec 19, 2013 2:41 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. One of the best there will ever be at that positon.

I would personally love to see him come back next year with someone who’s good but could use help at TE and see what he could do. NE perhaps? Imagine once Gronk is healthy how amazing that would be to see. Or Seattle? Gonzalez and a healthy Harvin is a scary, scary thought.

All dreams, though. Hats off Tony, one of the msot admirable players of our generation.

13. theseaward says: Dec 19, 2013 2:45 PM

Best receiving TE ever!!! We will be referring to him for years when comparing future great TEs.

14. afcdomination says: Dec 19, 2013 2:47 PM

he got a nice playoff win, but really, it was a failure with the falcons. unfortunate, KC would be killing it with him this year. and if he were to have to choose, which he doesn’t in the NFL HoF, he is obviously a Chief and should be in that ring of honor before Atlanta.

15. habsfanatic says: Dec 19, 2013 2:52 PM

How sad that the Falcons collapsed so badly this year after priming themselves for a Super Bowl run. Tony you deserved better but all in all an amazing, first-ballot HOF career. Good luck to you!

16. eatitfanboy says: Dec 19, 2013 2:56 PM

I would never tell someone how to live their lives. If this man is ready to move on, more power to him.

But he is still one of the top tight ends in football and is not showing signs of slowing down. With the resurgence of the Chiefs, the set up is there for one of the greatest story book endings to a career ever.

If I were him and I had to choose between my final season being this train wreck in Atlanta or a possible Super Bowl run in Kansas City next year, I know what I would do. (assuming KC would want him)

And he shouldn’t worry about people calling him a hypocrite. Everyone is entitled to change their minds.

I won’t criticize him either way- but TG returning to KC next year and going out with a winning season for sure and possibly a Super Bowl ring? Now THAT would be an amazing ending.

17. riverhorsey says: Dec 19, 2013 2:57 PM

San Fran is close enough.

18. bobulated says: Dec 19, 2013 3:06 PM

All the KC fans wishing for a Tony G change of heart and return are forgetting that he signed a two year contract with the Falcons to spread his bonus out. If he does come back, it will be as a Falcon unless they trade his rights in the off season.

19. capitaosuecia says: Dec 19, 2013 3:13 PM

He´s coming back. Wait until after post season rest. Right now he obviously feels exhausted, plus it was an atypical year for the Falcons.

20. capitaosuecia says: Dec 19, 2013 3:15 PM

San Fran is indeed close enough… Can you imagine, defend a 2 TE set with him AND Vernon Davis? plus the rest of the 49ers roster, which is not bad at all right now…

21. footballchic777 says: Dec 19, 2013 3:52 PM

Thanks for the memories Tony. You have been a great ambassador for the sport!

22. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 19, 2013 6:33 PM

Sure do wish the Pats had pulled off a trade for him right before the deadline.

23. 5to46hawkfan says: Dec 19, 2013 10:23 PM

Love watching TG play!!! Amazing player!!!
    Whatever he decides, hats off to him. I’m sure he’s a great dad as well :)