Champ Bailey hopes he’s ready to finish season strong

Broncos Chiefs Football AP

Champ Bailey has tried coming back from his preseason foot injury twice before.

This time, the Broncos cornerback hopes to get through a game.

Bailey’s expected to play Sunday against the Texans, hoping to shore up a secondary that will be without Kayvon Webster.

I feel good about what I can do,” Bailey said, via Lindsay Jones of USA Today. “I think now it’s just being smart about how I go about doing it, and making sure I don’t have any setbacks, and I don’t wear myself down or anything like that. The good thing is I’m fresh, and I’m ready to go.”

He ought to be fresh, having played eight quarters. The 35-year-old Bailey said he’s hoping to work his way back now, so he can make up for a rough playoff performance last year.

“Just make sure I’m ready — physically, mentally, emotionally, everything,” Bailey said. “It’s just not a physical game, but the mental part is a big part of it. I just have to make sure I’m completely ready.”

The Broncos might not need it to close out the regular season against weak competition with a playoff berth secured, but they need him ready for the games against better competition that’s coming soon.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Champ Bailey hopes he’s ready to finish season strong”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 20, 2013 5:28 PM

Nice picture choice.

My thoughts exactly.

Well…. not exactly…. in my mind it is Tyler Eifert standing over him in the snow.

2. mataug says: Dec 20, 2013 5:38 PM

I do hope he can make some sort of contribution because a roster spot’s been spent on him now.

3. keepongronking says: Dec 20, 2013 5:53 PM

He’s done

4. jbaxt says: Dec 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Fitting picture, Champ getting burned, as usual.

5. ranger764 says: Dec 20, 2013 6:09 PM

Champs always been a class act. Hope he can finish out the season strong!

6. champgiff says: Dec 20, 2013 6:16 PM

In Denver, it’s Super Bowl or bust. The reality is this team’s success will be determined by what they do in the postseason. While he’ll never be the caliber of player he was, Champ can definitely help this secondary if he can use the next couple of games to shake off the rust.

7. td30 says: Dec 20, 2013 6:33 PM

me too…not holding my breathe though. Too busy praying DRC stays healthy instead of injuring himself diving for worthless hail mary’s at the end of the half

8. meatcarroll says: Dec 20, 2013 7:18 PM

Long suffering Raiders fan but Champ Bailey is a true pro, nothing for respect for that beast when he finally decides to hang up the cleats.

9. panthernation89 says: Dec 20, 2013 8:08 PM

Future Hall of Famer, love to see the determination, showing he’s gonna put it everything he’s got left. Great example of a true athlete.

10. hooterdawg says: Dec 20, 2013 9:00 PM

Broncos coaches would have probably IRd Baily but for his whining and fans outcry. This guy has nothing left in the tank and is a liability on the field.

11. bizieman says: Dec 21, 2013 1:30 AM

I wish he would play Safety in some packages. He needs to play like a leader at some point in these next 5 games. Live up to the C on his uniform.

12. kelsey59 says: Dec 21, 2013 2:55 AM

Isn’t he like 90 now.

13. joetoronto says: Dec 21, 2013 4:48 AM

“I feel good about what I can do, even though I can’t do it anymore” Bailey said

14. fnf417 says: Dec 21, 2013 8:09 AM

He’s a has been at this point last time I seen him play he was getting beat regularity by the receivers but in his prime a great cornerback

15. nelly837 says: Dec 21, 2013 8:44 AM

Good Lord don’t we hear this about every week on how he hopes he is ready to play and then on the rare occasion when actually does start a game he lasts about a half of the first quarter and he’s done. Champ at one time you were one of the best Corners in the NFL but that time isn’t now just retire already.

16. jjbadd385 says: Dec 21, 2013 12:37 PM

Elway should know what Bailey is experiencing, because at his retirement speech he said it best. In his mind, he wanted to continue (mentally), but his body failed him (physically), at age 35 it takes much longer to heal. Having said that, Champ you were once great, HOF worthy, but continuing is going to tarnish your legacy. Please walk away with dignity, because choosing to play, ur just selfishly hurting the team, even if u don’t mean to… Best Wishes Champ….