Security will be enhanced for final game at Metrodome

Dallas Cowboys v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Lions fans who assume their 7-7 team easily will beat the non-contending Giants and Vikings to end the season are overlooking two important factors:  (1) the Lions typically don’t fare well at the Metrodome; and (2) next Sunday’s game will be the last one ever played at the Metrodome.

According to the Associated Press, the powers-that-be plan to increase security for the December 29 Metrodome finale, given that the last “last game ever” at a Twin Cities football stadium got out of hand.

“There will obviously be a great deal of attention for inside security, just monitoring so that fans can celebrate, but do so safely and responsibly,” Minneapolis police inspector Medaria Arradondo told the AP.

When the Vikings closed out Metropolitan Stadium in 1981, fans stormed the field, tore down goal posts, and otherwise stole anything that wasn’t nailed down — and presumably some things that were.  This time, that supposedly won’t be happening.

“Nobody’s leaving with anything,” Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority Chair Michele Kelm-Helgen told the AP.  “We’re putting that rule in place, and we’re going to stick to it from the beginning of the game to the end.”

While that could be easier said than done, the game will feature twice the number of security personnel used for a normal game.

“All told, we’re looking at close to 700 security representatives within the building,” Vikings spokesman Jeff Anderson told the Associated Press.  “We don’t expect any issues, but we want this to be a memorable game for our fans, and we want to do it in a safe and respectful way.”

It sounds like a good plan, but that plan could change dramatically if/when the crowd collectively decides that it’s going to do whatever it wants to do.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Security will be enhanced for final game at Metrodome”
  1. meatcarroll says: Dec 21, 2013 3:02 PM

Why? Are 49er fans attending the game?

2. jollyjoker2 says: Dec 21, 2013 3:15 PM

who would want a piece of that junkpile.

3. angelogiaquinto18 says: Dec 21, 2013 3:19 PM

As a Viking fan…our team never even made the Super Bowl while playing in the metrodome. Not to mention choking the 98 championship game there (still can’t believe it). Why in the hell would I want to steal something from there??? I’ll gladly pull the switch to blow it up though!

4. MeWinYouLose says: Dec 21, 2013 3:20 PM

Just let the fans tear that place down – hell, it would be the most exciting thing ever to happen in the Metrodome.

5. coachkilla6 says: Dec 21, 2013 3:28 PM

The Metrodump signaled the end of toughness for the Vikings. Moving indoors was a huge mistake and in 2016, they’re going to repeat it. Chicago and GB will always be the top tier in the NFCN because of that.

6. nfloracle says: Dec 21, 2013 3:32 PM

Think of the taxpayer money that could be saved by simply letting rabid Viking fans tear the entire joint down to pieces the size of rat droppings!

7. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 21, 2013 3:39 PM

They said nobody was leaving with anything during the last days of Tiger Stadium too. But I got out of there with a nice Tiger patterned armrest. They shouldn’t have encouraged me with the challenge and told me what I can’t do, otherwise I wouldn’t have taken it. I only wanted it because they were so sure it was impossible for me to get it. Turns out I was right and they were wrong. A good winning season also would have deterred me to leave it alone, but they couldn’t do that either.

8. favrelous says: Dec 21, 2013 3:43 PM

I kniw I will be happy the season is over, but extra security is overkill.

9. linemanguy74 says: Dec 21, 2013 3:46 PM

Packer fans will be there looking for living room furniture

10. mrlaloosh says: Dec 21, 2013 3:51 PM

Just wait for a snowstorm. That’ll end it.I really would like some if those Hefty Bag decorations. As Bette Davis once said “what a Dump!”

11. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 21, 2013 3:54 PM

I went to games at the dome for over fifteen years. Stopped going two years ago.

I always liked the dumpy feel of it, but will not miss the congestion, or the terrible speaker system they had in there.

Vikings made a mistake not making their new stadium outdoors. They went to four super bowls while at the met because they were a tough team. Indoor teams are soft. Vikings still are horrendous on the road outdoors, and it’s been that way since they left the met.

Oh, and good luck at TCF stadium next year, where the lines to bathrooms and concourse congestion is about as bad as the dome. If you went to the gopher badger game a month ago, you know what I’m talking about.

12. jebdamone says: Dec 21, 2013 4:03 PM

everyone can say all kinds of terrible things about the metrodome but a good portion of my favorite memories took place there. yeah its a dump but i would love to walk away with a piece of it and don’t see why the commission is being so stringent about disallowing that…they are probably going to try to take it apart and sell everything.

13. headedscorp says: Dec 21, 2013 4:05 PM

Playing inside has nothing to do with being good or tough – look at the NDSU Bison

14. silentfreedom5 says: Dec 21, 2013 4:11 PM

One thing being overlooked is that the metrodome hosted much more than the Vikings. NCAA march madness, Timberwolves, concerts, and the Twins. The Twins won 2 world series there, and there have been many memorable moments there. Kirby Puckett game 6, Jack Morris game 7, and much more

15. fdugrad says: Dec 21, 2013 4:12 PM

I’m old enough to remember the results of “Disco Night” The White Sox “hosted.” I wouldn’t have wanted to be any part of security THAT night! I surely hope nothing along THOSE lines replays its ugly presence!

16. bennyb82 says: Dec 21, 2013 4:35 PM

Probably because the Lions will choke.

17. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 21, 2013 5:21 PM

The Metrodump – home to the last place Vikings.

18. Ed Bandell says: Dec 21, 2013 5:49 PM

700 versus 40000….sounds reasonable.

19. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Dec 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Oh yaw, you betcha. Fans might get souled up on hot dish & start a tater tot fight

20. blakeden says: Dec 21, 2013 6:01 PM

What security are the Vikings adding 4 more hotdog vendors?…….The putz owner is probably hunting the area for homeless people to fill the stands……Two years from now watch these fans cry because it’s to cold outside for them……Go pack

21. jusford says: Dec 21, 2013 6:46 PM

Will there Be Anyone Left In The Stands When The Game Is Over?

22. granadafan says: Dec 21, 2013 7:02 PM

The taxpayers caved in to a billionaire’s threats and paid for this stadium; they ought to be able to take some souvenirs.

23. vikinganswer says: Dec 21, 2013 7:09 PM

40,000? Nice try

24. f1restarter says: Dec 21, 2013 7:17 PM

The huge gas bag known as the Metrodome is a perfect metaphor for the Minnesota Vikings and most of their fans.

The Vikings are physically soft and mentally weak. They’ll be dying to get into their nice warm new stadium, but in the meantime they’ll have to endure two seasons of pure misery playing in the cold, wintry outdoors. That’s something the Green Bay Packers have been doing on a yearly basis for 90+ years, and is one of many reasons why the Packers (and their fans) are infinitely superior to anything coming out of Minnesota.

25. isuperknowni says: Dec 21, 2013 7:45 PM

Huge mistake going indoors. They had such an advantage in the snowy breezy frigid temps. All fields should be outdoors with real grass

26. toes110 says: Dec 21, 2013 8:29 PM

yet again another fan of “wisconsin’s” one profitable company claiming that “wisconsin” is superior to the Great State of Minnesota.. Mathematical facts, say otherwise, the only thing “wisconsin” can claim is beer sales on sunday, better deer hunting, and more contestants to appear on the biggest loser.. thats it…. Pretty soon The Great State of Minnesota will be able to claim the entire “state” of “wisconsin” as a tax right off, due to charitable giving….

27. Frazier28/7 says: Dec 21, 2013 8:43 PM

So, I can’t bring a crow-bar to take home 3 seats for my garage? Wtf.

The only thing infinitely superior in terms of Sconnies and Minnesotans is the average of a Sconnies waist size and their penchant for binge drinking. You guys are far superior in that regard. Oh, and fake championships.

28. tigersfandan says: Dec 21, 2013 8:51 PM

Regarding the first sentence of this article, I doubt that many of us Lions fans expect to end the season with two easy wins. A couple of reasons for this are 1) the Lions don’t always beat teams they should beat and 2) even when they do, it’s not always especially easy.

29. philtration says: Dec 21, 2013 9:04 PM

At least they will not have to have anyone guard the trophy case.

30. vikechurch says: Dec 21, 2013 9:28 PM

I was at the final game at the met in 1981 you could have had a security force of 5000 and it would not have stopped the crowd from going on the field. it was a great moment for me to just stand on the field where alan page and fran tarkenton played. and yes I do have a seat from the met in my basement. I will keep a good thought for the safety of the security people because controlling a crowd of 60,000 people will be tough.

31. shaggytoodle says: Dec 21, 2013 9:44 PM

I don’t know why they need extra security… Viking fans should be use to heart break by now