Skip to content

Snow, ice, lightning, wind in forecast for Sunday

56416192_display_image Getty Images

Two weeks ago, the NFL saw several snow-globe games on the same day.  On Sunday, the league could experience a much more eclectic mixture of conditions.

All forecasts come from our friends at Weather.com.

Of 12 games to be played in non-domed stadiums, the two best sets of conditions will prevail in Jacksonville and San Diego.  For the Titans-Jaguars game, a temperature in the low 80s will be made to feel a bit lower with 12 mph winds.  There’s no chance of precipitation.  (Thunderstorms arrive tonight, so it’s a good thing this game wasn’t flexed.  Yes, I’m being sarcastic.)

In San Diego, it will be like it always is in San Diego:  Sunny.  The temperature will be only in the 60s, which will make it not much warmer than many of the NFL cities in the east.

The rest of the day’s games will resemble Forrest Gump’s finest box of Christmas chocolates.  Let’s take a quick tour.

In Buffalo, there’s an ice storm warning until 12:00 p.m. ET.  While conditions during the Dolphins-Bills game are expected to be good by Western-New-York-in-late-December standards (temperature in the 40s, 30 percent chance of rain, 13 mph winds), travel to Ralph Wilson Stadium could be interesting — for the folks who actually will be showing up.

In Green Bay, the renewal of the Steelers-Packers mini-rivalry likely will occur with snow in the air.  The forecast calls for temperatures in the low 20s, winds in the teens, and a 60-percent chance of snow.

In Kansas City, a winter storm will have cleared out by kickoff of Colts-Chiefs.  There’s a 20-percent chance of precipitation, winds will be in the range of 12 mph, and temperature in the lows 20s.

For four games, a lightning delay could be in the offing.  In Baltimore, where a severe thunderstorm watch currently is due to expire at 10:00 a.m. ET, there’s a 50-percent chance of thundershowers throughout the Ravens-Patriots game.  Temperatures will be in the low 70s, with wind in the teens.

In Charlotte, Saints-Panthers could be disrupted by thunderstorms in the forecast throughout the game, with temperature in the low 70s and wind in excess of 15 mph.

The Cowboys-Redskins game to be played in Landover, Maryland will see a 50-50 chance of thunderstorms and temperature in the low 70s.

For Sunday night in Philly, the Bears-Eagles game could see thundershowers early, yielding to rain not long after kickoff.  The mercury will be in the low 60s.

For two other games, it’ll be only rain and no arbitrary bolts of deadly electricity from above.  Browns-Jets has a 50-percent chance of precipitation, with temperature in the mid-60s and wind in the range of 10 mph.  Cardinals-Seahawks likewise has a 50-percent chance of rain, with temperature in the upper 40s.

In Cincinnati, there’s no rain or snow or ice but the wind will be in the range of 20 miles per hour.

So, basically, it’s a little bit of everything on a day when anything can happen as plenty of teams continue to jockey not only for playoff berths but also for playoff positioning.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Snow, ice, lightning, wind in forecast for Sunday”
  1. golforepar says: Dec 22, 2013 9:17 AM

    In Green Bay, 60% chance of snow? NOT! How about 60% chance for 6 inches and 40% chance for more! It is really coming down right now!

  2. leatherface2012 says: Dec 22, 2013 9:23 AM

    this is why every stadium should be domed

  3. annes22 says: Dec 22, 2013 9:34 AM

    This is why the Super bowl shouldn’t be played in stupid places like New York. Who wants to pay thousands to freeze their butts off? Shouldn’t be in a dome either, with no elements.

  4. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Dec 22, 2013 9:34 AM

    Thunder snow is cool !

  5. jordiway73 says: Dec 22, 2013 9:38 AM

    Good luck to all those in the Fantasy Football championship game, weather could be a big factor today so choose wisely.

  6. canetic says: Dec 22, 2013 9:56 AM

    I hope that is the forecast for the Super Bowl

  7. jimmysee says: Dec 22, 2013 10:00 AM

    This is why no stadium should be domed.

  8. raiderhater929 says: Dec 22, 2013 10:01 AM

    No, this is why there should be no domes.

  9. dienavinjohnson says: Dec 22, 2013 10:09 AM

    This is why no stadium should be domed and all games, except the Super Bowl, should be played in the sneaux belt. The Super Bowl should always be played in New Orleans!

  10. crooner60crooner60 says: Dec 22, 2013 10:12 AM

    What about San Francisco where it will be clear and in the 50′ s for the last regular season game at Candlestick! Go Niners!

  11. upperdecker19 says: Dec 22, 2013 10:16 AM

    Is London available?

  12. tarkentin says: Dec 22, 2013 10:23 AM

    This is why I love being a Viking fan.

  13. chicagoraiderfan says: Dec 22, 2013 1:50 PM

    Chicago low 60’s? Baltimore low 70’s? What weather report are you looking at?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!