Jason Garrett trying to focus, as Jones likes him today

Jason Garrett AP

Whether Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is coaching for his job or not next week, he insists he’s not going to let it occupy his mind.

Of course, that’s what they all say.

I focus on doing my job as well as I can do it,” Garrett said after beating the Redskins last night, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “I think the emphasis that we placed on this for players and coaches in this league for a long time is do your job as well as you can do it each and every day. That’s certainly what I learned a long, long time ago.

“I’m proud of our group, how we fought, how we battled, how we gave ourselves a chance to win the game at the end by doing what we needed to do to win it. We have a great opportunity at our stadium next week.”

The Cowboys have their playoff futures in their own hands Sunday night, facing the Eagles with the NFC East title and a playoff spot on the line.

Having stitched together an atrocious defense and a full-time soap opera long enough to say that has bought Garrett some good will with the boss, too. Today, anyway.

“He really showed me a lot, to be able to keep it together, to be able to keep it focused,” owner Jerry Jones said. “I thought he did an outstanding job of getting this team from the obvious, and that is having a tremendous disappointing loss against Green Bay. It was a killer, and it was something that was a real challenge for a coach to get them to come back and play well.”

Of course, Jones can mean that today, and change his mind a week from now. That’s his right as the owner. So putting too much stock into the daily stock watch on Garrett futures is futile for the next week.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Jason Garrett trying to focus, as Jones likes him today”
  1. bucrightoff says: Dec 23, 2013 11:30 AM

Obviously rooting hard for the Cowboys next week. A win means Garrett saves hid job, they’ll get blasted in the playoffs by either New Orleans or San Francisco, and Garrett will be back for more follies next year.

No offense Eagle fans, just want some more high comedy next year.

2. wipemysweatjackoff says: Dec 23, 2013 11:36 AM

I understand when the Cowboys are discussed whether it is in print. internet or TV etc. it is a ratings bonanza and creates more hits – but move on because Garrett is going nowhere win or lose.

Talk about the coaching vacancies in:

1. Detroit
    2. Washington
    3. Tennesee
    4. New York Giants
    5. New York Jets
    6. Oakland raiders
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    8. Houston Texans

3. gallopinggilmore says: Dec 23, 2013 11:37 AM

Are the odds makers taking bets on how many coaches Tony Romo will get fired before his time ruining the Dallas Cowboys legacy is over?

4. gallopinggilmore says: Dec 23, 2013 11:39 AM

I guess odds makers probably do not take bets. Sorry, I don’t gamble. I’m sure Romo would know the correct terminology, he gambles the team’s playoff chances away every year now.

5. dcstinks says: Dec 23, 2013 11:44 AM

bucrightoff says:
    No offense Eagle fans, just want some more high comedy next year.
    ——————————

So Do I. Dont worry, when the Eagles beat Dallas this week. Jerry wont fire anyone because he wont find anyone that will be a yes man like Garrett.

I hope the Three Stooges ( Romo, Jones and Garrett) are there for a long time!

–The NFC East

6. tvjules says: Dec 23, 2013 11:46 AM

Garrett is the ultimate wormy yes man. As everyone in the workforce knows, those guys never get fired.

7. c4anderson says: Dec 23, 2013 11:56 AM

Jason Garret says JUST SMILE AND WAVE BOYS, SMILE AND WAVE.
    (just what Jerry Jones likes).

8. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 23, 2013 11:56 AM

I’d think if they win the division Garret keeps his job, especially if they can manage to win at least 1 playoff game.

Lose next weekend and get bumped from the playoffs maybe not

9. thelogicalsportsfan says: Dec 23, 2013 12:03 PM

The picture on this article made me instantly laugh. The Happy Jason

– The Logical Sports Fan

10. 23rdusernameused says: Dec 23, 2013 12:04 PM

Great Work jason!! Barely beating the 3-12 Skins!! Very Commendable work!!!!! LOL
    jason garret = the ultimate “yes-man”!!

11. 25cuts says: Dec 23, 2013 12:22 PM

Eagles are going to roll the boys. 40 burger with their name in it will be ready to be served Sunday night.

12. phillyphannnn83 says: Dec 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Romo threw another late-game INT to set his team up for needing a 4th down season saving play to beat a 3 win team. The Cowboys are atrocious and dont stand a chance next week.

13. cobaltdriver says: Dec 23, 2013 12:27 PM

Poor Jason Garrett,he s like a battered spouse,and Romo is the confused child who the parents play off on each other.

14. jimnaizeeum says: Dec 23, 2013 12:39 PM

Ok, the Eagles just put 50 something on a team that put 40 something on Dallas…I don’t see this game as a real nail biter.

15. fldc7909 says: Dec 23, 2013 12:41 PM

THE BOYS HAVE GOT THIS GAME.
    FINAL SCORE:
    DALLAS, 30 PHILADELPHIA, 24
    JASON GARRETT KEEPS HIS JOB
    ROMO HATERS SUDDENLY ARE FANS OF HIS AGAIN

OVERALL,
    DALLAS COWBOYS
    2013 NFC EAST CHAMPIONS
    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

16. cwk22 says: Dec 23, 2013 1:33 PM

Jerry: it was Washington. Calm Down!!!