Terrelle Pryor apologizes for agent’s criticisms of Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

The agent for Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor might think his client is being set up to fail by being handed a Week 17 start after losing the job previously to Matt McGloin.

But in an unusual role-reversal, the player himself is now trying to douse the flames set by the agent, knowing he still has to (for the moment) work with these people.

Pryor tweeted out an apology last night, saying he’s looking forward to Sunday’s game against the Broncos.

“I apologize for the recent comments towards the Raiders organization,” he wrote. “That’s not what I’m about. I’m thankful for this opportunity given to me by this great organization and the phenomenal fans. I’m very excited to play with my teammates Sunday! We hope to make you (fans) proud!”

That’s swell and all, but it might be a one-week fix for the awkwardness to follow.

With coach Dennis Allen’s future uncertain, every on-field job with the Raiders could be at stake, so Pryor could help himself a lot more by playing well.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor apologizes for agent’s criticisms of Raiders”
  1. Sir Raider Duck, OMS says: Dec 24, 2013 8:18 AM

If the agent really was speaking out of turn and saying things Pryor didn’t feel, then I expect him to be fired today. If he isn’t fired, then we can assume this whole thing was orchestrated, which means Pryor doesn’t even have the guts to say what he feels publicly but feels the need to hide behind mommy and daddy (i.e. his agent).

2. jmason100 says: Dec 24, 2013 8:19 AM

Pryor. A couple pieces of advice. Find another spot on the football team to succeed such as H-back or tight end because you are clearly not an NFL QB. Also, fire your agent because he’s not helping your career.

3. meatcarroll says: Dec 24, 2013 8:33 AM

Apology not accepted. Ohio State should have been given the death penalty if USC got hammered that hard.

4. ballsoharduniversity52 says: Dec 24, 2013 8:33 AM

Have to at least give him credit for trying to handle it the right way…

5. titansbro says: Dec 24, 2013 8:37 AM

TP played well for the Raiders early this season & they seem to have forgotten that. I mean, was McGloin really all that good? I have no horse in this race but this kid has been all about the Raiders & respecting Al Davis from day one. I hope for his sake that he gets a chance to start for another team. I think he could wind up being a halfway decent QB. Minnesota maybe?

6. mrbigass says: Dec 24, 2013 8:39 AM

Agent needs to be fired. Who takes their client and throws them under their employers bus?

7. 1captain1 says: Dec 24, 2013 8:43 AM

This whole thing of getting a true GM just hasn’t worked. Improvement is marked by the Win column. FACT! Where is the improvement? I miss that coach that beat the Texans and cried after the loss of Al Davis. Funny how so-called Raiders fans dissed Al even the day before his death. You showed your true colors and it ain’t silver an black.

8. The Pittsburgh Steelers says: Dec 24, 2013 8:46 AM

Shouldn’t agents consult their clients before making public statements?

9. kingpel says: Dec 24, 2013 9:06 AM

I feel like I have more confidence in Pryor than his agent does. He played pretty good against the Broncos in Denver. Why can’t he do the same in Oakland? This isn’t a set up. It’s an opportunity.

10. James Langston says: Dec 24, 2013 9:27 AM

Set up to fail? Pryor has twice as many interceptions as touchdowns; I think he’s already failed. He should be grateful he has any opportunity to start.

11. dgilet1 says: Dec 24, 2013 9:40 AM

What is it with people…people like Eli manning and Alex smith sucked for yearrrssssss before becoming viable options…people like Pryor and rg3 barely get a full year and they get pulled…give the man time to develop, maybe a full year and a full offseason of being with the first team. Time to work through mistakes like many first year qbs make. He had the talent and had shown flashes and is way better than he was when he came out of ohio state. Not saying you have to be married to the guy but you won’t know what you have without in my opinion at least a 2 year commitment

12. ravenswhat says: Dec 24, 2013 10:17 AM

Fire your agent and hire a PR agent.

13. carlsbadboltfan says: Dec 24, 2013 10:34 AM

His agent is partially right. The Raiders set EVERYONE up to fail.

14. vottorific says: Dec 24, 2013 10:59 AM

One little free tattoo leads to all this? Merry Christmas Raider nation!

15. silvernblak says: Dec 24, 2013 12:17 PM

I agree with his agent whole heartedly. Many, Many fans do as well. So, if Pryor goes in and blows up Denver then how will that look for DA? DA even made the ANNOUNCEMENT that TP was starting against his former EXPERIENCED HC, the next if not the best team in the NFL a week prior to the game? All year long DA has held back what his game plan was until game time. Why now? Why not just hand Fox the game book too? This is so transparent on DAs part it should cost him his job. Setting up a young player to fail as a stepping stone to further or save his own ass? What good HC does that? Lather,rinse, and repeat thank you very much!

16. robgilman says: Dec 24, 2013 12:21 PM

Pryor and McGloin are both very young and both have shown promise on a not so good team. So… what is everybody’s issue again?

Excited to see Pryor get another opportunity this Sunday, as I’m sure he is too.

17. ajgreenhof says: Dec 24, 2013 12:37 PM

I have a feeling Pryor is his agent’s first client.

18. nflfolly says: Dec 24, 2013 1:40 PM

Fire McKenzie the worst GM in the NFL.
    Tired of the uniformed making excuses for this GM who has not brought any talent to the Raiders but let any bright spot leave.Carson Palmer 11-5 in Arizona.Who do the Raiders have?an undrafted free agent at QB and Pryor who got beat out by an undrafted free agent.

19. greg2geez says: Dec 24, 2013 3:19 PM

This is Christmas candy for Pryor haters (see 1st commenter) and troubling for fans like me who have been most impressed with Pryor’s public image of hard work, dedication to improving and team first attitude.
    I can understand Pryor and his agents frustration with this staff but this distraction taken with Pryors knee injury excuse after Giants game is damaging.
    There is some truth in what Stanley said but an absolute lack of professionalism in the way he said it and the timing he chose to put it out there.
    It’s a shame because while I think Pryor could develop into a good QB it probably won’t be in Oakland and his missteps in the press could limit his opportunities in places he may thrive if he develops a reputation as a locker room distraction before he develops as a consistent passer.

20. slick50ks says: Dec 24, 2013 4:14 PM