Antonio Cromartie: I want to retire with Jets

ad8638468c5f35d75d4f5e1661312e16 AP

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie has not had his best season in 2013, which puts him at risk of losing his spot with the Jets this offseason.

Cromartie is set to count $14.98 million under the salary cap in 2014, a hefty sum for a player whose performance was not up to that price tag this year. Cromartie’s number got that high after a restructure before this season pushed more money into next year and the cornerback said he’s willing to go that route again if it means staying with the Jets.

“Definitely,” Cromartie said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “This is where I want to be. My family loves it here. I think the biggest thing, for me, is just to make sure that going into this last game I’m playing to the best of my ability.¬†At the end of the day, no matter what you do, your last name is your resume. That’s how I want to go about it. I’m here. My family wants to be here, and this is where I want to retire.”

It’s the final year of Cromartie’s deal, so the Jets would have to add a year or more in order to spread out Cromartie’s cap hit. If they decided to cut him, they’d be left with $5.48 million in dead money while freeing up more than $9 million in space. With Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes expected to be gone, General Manager John Idzik could opt to go that route with Cromartie as well in hopes of freeing up as much cap space as possible in hopes of building a playoff team.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Antonio Cromartie: I want to retire with Jets”
  1. nyjalleffingday says: Dec 26, 2013 5:46 PM

Then restructure, he’s a good player (despite playing far worse this year than last) but that contract is pretty bad. Sort of like the Sanchez/Santonio contracts, but without the lack of on-the-field productivity.

2. wrm1230 says: Dec 26, 2013 5:55 PM

Anybody else find it odd that Cromartie says his “family loves it there”. With kids all over the U.S., can’t he say that about just about every NFL franchise location?

3. db105 says: Dec 26, 2013 5:56 PM

To make this happen he may as well retire after this season. This would also give him plenty of quality time with his family.

4. catquick says: Dec 26, 2013 6:01 PM

As a Bills fan, I hope they let him go. He’s still the top db on the team. Without him, they’re mediocre at best.

5. sd5547 says: Dec 26, 2013 6:07 PM

This just in. The JETS offer free daycare.

6. elliottcovert says: Dec 26, 2013 6:09 PM

In my view, Cromartie may not be with roughly $15 million (what non-QB is?) but that doesn’t mean he’s not still a very fine player. It would be a mistake to believe that because a) he isn’t worth $15 million and b) he’s not as good as he was last year that he’s expendable. He’s not, and he’s an important part of the Jets. Just renegotiate his contract and all will be well.

7. green41563 says: Dec 26, 2013 6:12 PM

As he’s aged, Cro has proved to be a pretty solid citizen. Yes, he was once very irresponsible with the multiple kids, but in fairness, he’s never been arrested for anything. Plus, he always gives 100 percent on the field.

I’d like to have him back for up to $8M per.

8. lrjets says: Dec 26, 2013 6:46 PM

Never a problem as a Jet.
    Just a target for the shut in Jets haters.

9. jr507 says: Dec 26, 2013 7:52 PM

The Jets fronted him 500k for debts and this guy took it to heart. Since then he has grown into a leader, become financially mature, and teaches young players not to follow his early mistakes.

Plus he’s been playing hurt. Get him healthy and down to $8M a year and lock him up for life. Jets Nation loves ya Cro.

10. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 27, 2013 8:51 AM

I thought the Jets were retired.

11. boyshole25 says: Dec 27, 2013 10:55 AM

I’d love to see this guy in DC. Very underrated player, and Rex could be his Coord