Keenan Allen says he considered quitting early this season

422e7c1872715b41a89a72f9ebf2f40c AP

Keenan Allen has been one of the biggest reasons that the Chargers were able to overcome the loss of wide receivers Danario Alexander and Malcom Floyd to injuries this season.

The third-round pick leads the team with 967 receiving yards and ranks third with 66 catches, numbers that seemed like an unlikely outcome when Allen started the year on the lower rungs of the depth chart. Allen didn’t even play in the first game of the season, something he said made him think about making an abrupt career change.

“After I didn’t play after that first game, I was about another snap away of not playing from quitting,” Allen said, via U-T San Diego. “[I wasn’t] living up to my expectations of starting. I’ve never been a role player-type guy. Not easy at all. … I’ve never had to do it before. I never had to adjust.”

A phone call to his mother helped convince him not to go back to school to pursue a career in the music business, which¬†should put her in line for a pretty good Mother’s Day gift next May from both Allen and the Chargers.¬†Allen is 45 yards away from setting a Chargers rookie record and it’s unlikely he’ll be on the sideline again because of a coach’s decision any time soon.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
25 Responses to “Keenan Allen says he considered quitting early this season”
  1. jayhawk6 says: Dec 26, 2013 12:56 PM

Jay Z…are you listening?

2. jjg8505 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:01 PM

Ha ha yea yea yea uh huh

3. raiderufan says: Dec 26, 2013 1:11 PM

One week? Holy cow….

4. vdogg says: Dec 26, 2013 1:13 PM

Great team mate….wanted to quit after 1 week? Way to show you got heart kid…..what a joke.

5. mrgroovesd says: Dec 26, 2013 1:17 PM

Glad he stepped up and became a football player with a lot of potential. He’s only a rookie, so he can only get better thru time and playing. Let’s hope he keeps it up and has a long career ahead of him.

6. squared80 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:18 PM

Wow… THIS is our offensive rookie of the year? Deserves it, but man, what a head case. Here’s the first of many red flags, San Diego. Enjoy this ride while it lasts. Seriously.

7. richmondbolt says: Dec 26, 2013 1:18 PM

Those are one of those things you keep to yourself.

8. pellucov68 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:19 PM

Good player, would have looked good in a Dolphin uniform….

9. elliottcovert says: Dec 26, 2013 1:20 PM

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have drive, but that’s ridiculous for a potential ORoY candidate.

10. cjnunes426 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:20 PM

I would he annoyed by this… But Keenan Allen and Philip rivers are the chargers. Throw in some Matthews and wood head. Everyone else is trash.

11. kd727 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:23 PM

Some things are better left unsaid, Mr. Allen.

12. weareluckytohavemikeflorio says: Dec 26, 2013 1:32 PM

1st round talent
    7th round brain
    3rd round draft pick.
    makes perfect sense
    what a jacktard

13. green41563 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:36 PM

He’s played very well this year, but these comments reveal a very bad character trait that will re-emerge the second some adversity hits.

No great player thinks about quitting. And even if he does, he’d never admit it publicly.

That Allen has no compunction about admitting something so embarrassing is troubling because it shows that he doesn’t consider it embarrassing. He’s OK with the idea of quitting, so it’s only a matter of time before he quits again.

14. drsummeroff says: Dec 26, 2013 1:38 PM

And once again, the usual potAto chip crowd chimes in. Results people. Who cares about his musings? Almost a thousand yards receiving. Thats all the people who make the decisions care about. Piss on heart when you got production.

15. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Dec 26, 2013 1:45 PM

Good decision. Leave that to the Raiders, who quit on themselves every year.

16. neemdaddy13 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:50 PM

This guy sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Good luck with that San Diego..

17. soundsofsuccess7 says: Dec 26, 2013 1:55 PM

I don’t think people understand there is a large amount of football players who don’t want to play in the NFL- but most of them have to do it for the money.

18. ajgreenhof says: Dec 26, 2013 2:05 PM

Wow! Where you about to take your ball and go home too?

19. kvt7280 says: Dec 26, 2013 2:26 PM

Football is in his blood so it wasn’t surprising he wanted to play. In college, he was a safety and WR where he was a top 10 recruit that almost went to Alabama but de-committed because he wanted to play WR instead of Safety where Alabama wanted him to play. So he went to CAL, started from Day 1 and was a punt returner as well. Dudes a baller and is a competitor and can make things happen in the open field. I think, he should of kept it to himself because it’s not something you want to open to the whole world.

20. coloneldukelacross says: Dec 26, 2013 2:44 PM

Crying shame…The world needs more rapping athletes. I, for one, am eager to hear some Keenan Allen style flow. My children go to public school and I am sure they would benefit from his enlightening Berkeley education.

21. jjg8505 says: Dec 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Keenan Allen is a wimp and needs to keep his selfish mouth shut..can’t stand that guy.

22. FinFan68 says: Dec 26, 2013 3:47 PM

Diva. Me guy. Emotionally weak or unstable. Future problems are bound to follow

23. ravenswhat says: Dec 26, 2013 3:55 PM

Sounds like a keeper for when the going gets tough.

Actually, reminds me of the younger generation I have noticed these days. They have a quitting mentality if things don’t go their way with minimal effort involved.

24. buzzponti says: Dec 26, 2013 9:31 PM

i can hear him warming up his rapping voice now.
    me me me me me me meeeeeeee

25. joetoronto says: Dec 27, 2013 4:34 AM

He’s the consummate Charger, a true quitter just like Jr Seau.