Terron Armstead hoping his second start less noticeable

Terron Armstead, Brett Ingalls AP

Maybe when he’s finished playing in the league, Terron Armstead will become an official.

Because after a debut that earned him far too much of the wrong kind of acclaim, the Saints rookie left tackle said he hoped to be a little more anonymous this week.

I plan on it being a whole lot smoother. I plan on you guys not noticing I’m out there,” Armstead joked, via Mike Triplett of ESPN.com.

It was hard not to notice the third-round pick last week, as he was abused by Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy, following Saints coach Sean Payton’s curious decision to start an untested player in their biggest game of the year.

“I feel like I played a pretty solid game,” Armstead said. “I had a few mental things that are unacceptable and can’t happen, that needs to be fixed ASAP. But I feel like I had a pretty solid game.”

Payton is sticking with his guns, leaving Armstead in instead of switching back to Charles Brown (who lost his job after he was shelled by Rams defensive end Robert Quinn). And he defended the rookie, who was drafted with the thought of grooming into the left tackle of the future.

“I think one of the things that we saw in the running game, he did a really good job finishing,” Payton said. “I thought we did a good job up front overall. There were a number of times in protection that we were encouraged with. So, when you grade the film out, there’s a handful of things going on with how we protect. We had him for two sacks, but overall, we were pleased. First time out on the road against a good player like he went against and a good front, that’s encouraging. It was real encouraging.”

That’s one way of putting it. Having him not make the highlights this week would be more encouraging still.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Terron Armstead hoping his second start less noticeable”
  1. ajgreenhof says: Dec 26, 2013 10:55 AM

I heard the last name Triplett and immediately thought of that horrible ref who blows all the calls.

2. bcajun says: Dec 26, 2013 11:09 AM

As far as not noticable i would sure hope so

3. hanram17 says: Dec 26, 2013 11:27 AM

He did way worse than I expected, but I still believe that he is the best LT we have on the roster and deserves to start. He’s young and will develop into an elite player one day if he works hard and stays out of trouble.

4. cursedvikings1998 says: Dec 26, 2013 11:32 AM

Charles Brown owned Greg Hardy when they met just a couple weeks earlier. The decision to supplant Brown for an untested rookie was absurd in my view.

Armstead will be a good starter….. next year!

5. mattryansnoodlearm says: Dec 26, 2013 2:20 PM

He got thrown to the wolves last week. Hard spot for a rookie. He did some positive things out there as well though. He finished plays in the run game,on one play pushing his man 12 yards down field before burying him…His performance in the second half was much better than the first. I think this guy has a high ceiling. He just needs more reps. Expecting big things from TA.

6. tennsaint says: Dec 26, 2013 4:35 PM

I also think Armstead has a high ceiling and could be the Saints answer at LT for a long time.

My favorite TA highlight last week was of him slapping the crossbar of the goal post after Superstar Jimmy Graham’s TD. Hilarious to see a 300+ pound lineman getting that high!

The Saints need more energy like this from their Offensive Line.