Packers teammates tried to not pin hopes to Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers AP

Don’t get them wrong, the Packers are glad to have Aaron Rodgers back this week.

But they had learned over the last month not to get their hopes up.

Packers guard T.J. Lang said he had insulated himself against the possibility of bad news when he was driving to work Thursday, only to find out when he got there that Rodgers was scheduled to play against the Bears in the regular season finale.

I honestly didn’t think he was going to play,” Lang said, via Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. “The last three or four weeks, when he was close, I learned not to get my hopes up. To hear that news on those Fridays that he was not playing, it was tough. . . .

“Everybody just kind of smiled. It’s one of those things where you’re like, ‘Finally, man.’ It was almost a sigh of relief. The news gives you a little spark.”

Getting Rodgers back will be a huge lift for the Packers, who went 2-4-1 in his absence from a broken collarbone, yet remain able to clinch a playoff berth if they beat the Bears.

Now, they almost have to worry about overconfidence, something which was not a problem as they cycled through Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn.

“Just because Aaron is the quarterback doesn’t mean we’re going to be able to go down there, have him walk out of the tunnel first and we get a win,” wide receiver Jordy Nelson said. “Everyone is going to have to do their job. Going into Chicago to beat Chicago isn’t going to be easy.”

Of course, having Rodgers makes it much more possible.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Packers teammates tried to not pin hopes to Rodgers”
  1. trapshoot says: Dec 27, 2013 10:17 AM

Certainly can’t hurt to have him back……But he can’t play defense.

2. diehardpackfan says: Dec 27, 2013 10:25 AM

Dear Offensive Line,

Keep Aaron SAFE!!! No Sacks!

Signed, All Packer Fans

3. purpleguy says: Dec 27, 2013 10:28 AM

Why not? They shouldn’t pin their hopes on the defense.

4. jimmysee says: Dec 27, 2013 10:31 AM

Bears games are never easy. For either team.

5. f1restarter says: Dec 27, 2013 10:34 AM

“Going into Chicago to beat Chicago isn’t going to be easy.”

Replace “Chicago” with “Minnesota” and everyone in the room bursts out laughing.

6. aldante66 says: Dec 27, 2013 10:38 AM

Ya they were hoping he could come back and put up more points that this horrid defense gives up.
    Rogers big problem is the defense is letting teams march down the field in about three or four plays and has no talent to stop the run or the pass.
    Its not me hearing the commentators saying ” wow another big play given up by this defense, wow” Its the GM hearing it!

7. redandgoldhitman52 says: Dec 27, 2013 11:05 AM

Ryan in the shotgun from the 10 yd line. It is 2nd down. Ryan takes the snap. Throws a slant to the left side. It’s wrestled, INTERCEPTED!!!!! The 49ers pick it! and NaVorro Bowman his redemption! NaVorro Bowman running it all the way for the td.! No greater redemption can a man seek. NaVorro Bowman who could not cover the onside kick , catches a deflected pass for an interception and runs it 7 miles for a td. (Eric Davis laughs)

8. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 27, 2013 11:10 AM

It’s divine intervention.

9. 4sacroc says: Dec 27, 2013 11:35 AM

Rodgers ….

…. can’t play safety, where Green Bay has been flat-out awful since Nick Collins went down in 2011.

…. can’t rush the passer, an area where the Packers suffer, even moreso with Matthews shelved.

…. can’t play linebacker, a position of weakness that opponents expose via tight ends and RB’s week in and week out.

Green Bay had the horses (read: depth) to make a run in 2010, in spite of numerous injuries.

They aren’t finding a pass rusher or a safety or a cover LB now. There are none on the roster.

10. coloneldukelacross says: Dec 27, 2013 11:43 AM

Aaron Rodgers needs to play and his Ditka ‘stache needs to do the coaching. Getcha Super Bowl Shufflin’ on.

11. whatjusthapped says: Dec 27, 2013 11:46 AM

I would rather pin my hopes on Rodgers than pin them on whoever Spielman is going to pick this spring, assuming he can get his pick in on time.

Spielman has a terrible track record on picking QB’s in the draft and he will cement his legacy again this spring.

12. GenXJay says: Dec 27, 2013 11:49 AM

I would still hold hopes even after his return. Having a new unorthodox throwing motion should be disastrous.

13. kproffo says: Dec 27, 2013 11:57 AM

You know what worse than the Packers D?

The Bears and the Vikings D. Book it.

14. dahmergeinteam says: Dec 27, 2013 11:58 AM

There is no better way to spend a Sunday than doing some early morning dirt raiding, then watching a Packers game with my Wisconsin boy lampshade friends and some fresh home made Wisconsin stew.

15. jrmbadger says: Dec 27, 2013 11:58 AM

Flynn is an ok backup, don’t get me wrong, but he’s frustrating to watch. Some drives he looked really good, but the very next drive he’d throw a pass that was just aweful looking.

With Rodgers in, no team is going to dare stacking the box to stop Lacy.

Expect a big game for Eddie.

And yes, our defense sucks, but have you seen the Bears defense this year?

Finally, I actually can see either Chicago or Green Bay winning a playoff game if, for example, New Orleans has to come to Lambeau or Soldier Field for the wild card round. New Orleans is atrocious in away games.

16. linemanguy74 says: Dec 27, 2013 11:59 AM

No matter who wins, one and done for either team

17. aokmaster42 says: Dec 27, 2013 12:12 PM

Rodgers is one of the best QB’s in the NFL. There is no doubting or questioning that. But 7 weeks off, my fear is he’ll have a little rust. In a ‘one and done’ type game, that rust has to be worked out in the first drive or two at the most. He can’t struggle all game with his timing, nerves, or anything else. Great to see him back, just keeping my expectations in check that a 7 week layoff could yield some rust.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Dec 27, 2013 12:25 PM

While it was prophesized that he would return, his followers waited to witness it with their own eyes.

19. dahmergeinteam says: Dec 27, 2013 1:28 PM

My Acme Meat Packers will prevail over any rusty QB issues, however, even someone as famous as I am cannot guarantee against the fear of breaking bones over and over again.

I have studied the Joe Theismann bone break, and determined conclusively, through my own in-house research, that these kinds of terrible fractures have horrible life-altering consequences. My subjects have never been the same afterwards, in fact, they don’t recover, ever.

20. 15starr says: Dec 27, 2013 2:32 PM

Packers might not have the best defense, but it’s not like McCown is starting.

21. axespray says: Dec 27, 2013 6:08 PM

trapshoot says:
    Dec 27, 2013 10:17 AM
    “Certainly can’t hurt to have him back……But he can’t play defense.”
    ——————————-
    Nah – but he can keep the players on D from having to stay on the field for over 30+ minutes a game – keeping an injury ravaged squad somewhat fresh.

Our D was no.3 against the Run – no.11 overall when Rodgers snapped his collarbone (in spite of Jerron McMillian).

People forget we had an early bye week – dudes get worn out late in the year – then play makers got injured – then with Rodgers out for a month+ we were stuck as Wallace/Tolzein went on their 3 & Out feasts.

22. honolulubluekoolaid says: Dec 27, 2013 11:05 PM

First off, I am a lions fan (I know this is not the support group)…

I am also a Aaron Rodgers fan. I hope he has a big game and lights up that bear defense. I will now root for the packers to win the whole damn thing!

Besides any team that can get beat twice by my Lions in the same season (da bears) just don’t seem right to host a playoff game.

Good Lord my Lions make me mad for not accepting the silver platter they were given this year. Mr. Ford I beg of you..please shock me and actually hire a good coach for a change.

Oh, and Go Pack Go!