Willie Colon wants to stay with Jets with Rex Ryan as coach

Oakland Raiders v New York Jets Getty Images

After playing the first six seasons of his career for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Willie Colon signed with the New York Jets last offseason because he wanted to play for head coach Rex Ryan.

With Colon’s one-year contract with the Jets coming to a conclusion after Sunday’s regular season finale against the Miami Dolphins, both Colon and Ryan are uncertain whether they will be back with the Jets next season.

Of course I want to be a Jet,” Colon said, in an interview with Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on Sirius XM NFL Radio. “This is home for me. My family is happy I’m home. I’m happy I’m here. I’d like to finish a Jet but we all know there’s a business side of things. I’m 30 years old. I still feel like I’ve got a lot left in the tank.”

Colon grew up in the Bronx and played at Hofstra University on Long Island. He’s started all 15 games this season for the Jets at right guard.

Colon hopes that both he and Ryan will be back with the Jets next season.

“I believe in the guy. I came to New York to play for the guy. He was one of the guys I was passionate to meet,” Colon said. “…For me, it was coming to play for him and playing for a coach that, if he could, would put his hand in the dirt right next to you. That’s why we love him.”

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Willie Colon wants to stay with Jets with Rex Ryan as coach”
  1. mianfr says: Dec 27, 2013 1:00 AM

Jets would be stupid to let either leave. Colon and Howard were by far the best offensive linemen on the team this season.

2. numberoneinthehoodg says: Dec 27, 2013 1:22 AM

Unless Ryan wants to have a Colonoscopy.

3. keiselsbeard says: Dec 27, 2013 4:40 AM

If you take injuries & time on IR into account, this scrub only played 3 seasons here in Pittsburgh.

4. winorlose6burgh says: Dec 27, 2013 5:25 AM

This guy stayed hurt for 2 seasons in Pittsburgh I wouldn’t want him

5. sbmcintosh36 says: Dec 27, 2013 9:56 AM

Weird another player saying he came to play for Rex and wants him to stay just like the former players that have said he’s done an amazing coaching job with lack of talent on the roster.
    I guess all the people sitting on their couch saying he needs to go may not know as much as people that play or have played the game.
    I’ll say it for the millionth time, GM’s form the roster NOT the coach sure they have some say but there’s a reason they have scouting departments and GM’s.

6. Smarterthanyou says: Dec 27, 2013 10:03 AM

Of course Willie wants to stay with the Jets, they are going to win the Super Bowl next year…………………………again…………………………………………………………just ask Rex