49ers beat Cardinals, set up playoff trip to Green Bay

Getty Images

For the second consecutive season, the 49ers and Packers will meet in the playoffs.

San Francisco finished at 12-4 with today’s win over Arizona, earning the NFC No. 5 seed. That means they’ll travel to Green Bay to take on the Packers, the NFC No. 4 seed.

Last year’s playoff game was something of a coming out party for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who had the greatest rushing game by a quarterback in NFL history against the Packers’ defense. Green Bay will need to be a lot better than that this time around.

The 49ers’ win ended a solid 10-6 season for the Cardinals, who deserve a lot of credit for being a much more competitive team this season than most people expected. But in the end, the Cardinals were eliminated even before losing to the 49ers today, as the Saints took the sixth and final NFC playoff spot.

Now we can get ready for another 49ers-Packers game. These two teams have a history, and some bad blood from this year’s Week One meeting, which the 49ers won in San Francisco. All fans should look forward to seeing these two teams meet again in Green Bay.

100 responses to “49ers beat Cardinals, set up playoff trip to Green Bay

1. If you’re gonna come with the fist…BRING SOME KNUCKLES. Niners have the knuckles already packed. Gonna be a classic!

2. Helluva game by the cards. Niners got lazy after goin up 17-0. They can’t give GB those types of opportunities.

3. 49ers will demolish the Packers. NFC North is down in a big way this year. Any NFC North Team is not in the same class as the Seahawks or Niners.

4. I went from celebrating a big Packers win against the Bears to visualizing Colin Kaepernick running wild all over Lambeau again. I dread seeing that pompous kid flexing his tatted muscle in Green Bay. Unfortunately, hard to see how the Packers defense (with or without Clay) are good enough to stop him.

5. Well… we’re done next week, but at least we made it an entertaining season.

I think the 2013 Packers just trimmed a decade off of my life with all of these whacky/crazy games this year.

6. The Packers will have their hands full next week. But you don’t get the chance unless you get there…..and the Packers got there. They could’ve packed it in and played for draft position (stupid,) or, Never Give Up.

Stay Calm and Carry On! Go Pack!

7. thepftpoet says:
    Dec 29, 2013 5:16 PM

Cordarelle Patterson is a better reciever than Jordy Nelson & Randall Cobb combined.

Packers will get destroyed by the Bears.
    ———————————————————-

I just want to know how you vikqueen toads feel knowing your the dumbest idiots on PFT?

8. Hey jrazz22, you whine like the FourtyWhinners head coach. Win your division next season, then you can host. Yes, I’m a shameless Packers fan AND I think the Fourty-Whiners will kick the snot out of the Packers.

9. By the measuring stick of Division Titles, a big-time bragging point amongst Viking fans (I’m told they have lots and lots!,) the Packers just won their third in a row. This should elicit many expressions of congratulations from Viking fans. And I will ignore their predictions of One and Done. It would certainly be more satisfying than None and Done.

10. I love these posters who are acting like this is the first time a team with a bad record has gotten into the playoffs. There are always teams left out who are better than the teams that are in the playoffs.

Always.

11. Rodgers and Cobb being back is huge. After Palmer put up over 400 passing yards on the 9ers today, you can’t count the Packers out of this game. Both teams are 0-0 now, regular season doesn’t matter anymore.

12. jrazz22 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 7:51 PM

So niners finish 12-4 and the packers finish 8-7-1 and get to host a playoff game. So stupid

____________________________________

New to football? SF should have won more games, simple as that.

13. buyamericanonly says:
    Dec 29, 2013 7:58 PM
    Packers are done. 8-7-1 should not get a team into the playoffs when a 10-6 cardinal team is out.
    ============

Worthless Socialist.

14. “The League does everything in their power to undermine the Steelers and maintain league parity. ”

Probably because Steeler fans are clowns who post in random threads.

15. The weather all week is supposed to be cold and nasty. Early forecast says the “Real Feel” temp is in the teens for next weekend.

Enjoy the flight in from Cali, 49ers.

16. Stop whining that the Packers are in the playoffs over some teams with better records. Gotta take care of your division if you want a guaranteed ticket to the playoffs.

17. The NFC north is beyond pathetic Rodgers missed half the year and the bears or lions couldn’t win it out, I’m ashamed to be a bears fan.

I’m fine with a team winning their division making the playoffs but they have to fix the seeding. A 8 7 1 or 9 7 team should not host a playoff game over a team with a better record. It’s illogical.

18. Once again you have the Cards fans acting like they are entitled to a playoff spot, see the stupid buyamerica comment. What is wrong with people who support the AZ team? Why don’t they understand that there are rules which determine the playoff selection and seeding and that the Cards lost too many games this year to qualify? How can they continue to be losers?

19. bowman will intercept and knock rodgers out of the game with a concussion + broken collar bone(again). brett favre will laugh.

20. As a 49er fan, there’s no other team I’d rather plan than Green Bay. The rivalry is fantastic, and the Packers have classiest fans in the NFL.

21. From a Seahawks fan:

Good game Cards, you’re a good team and we look forward to next years games between us. We’re proud to share the NFC-W with you.

22. Vikings fan here. I have no problem with Aaron Rodgers. I admire him, actually. I’ll say it: I wish he was my QB.

It is the obnoxious Packer fans who I don’t like.

But the Packer team — they seem to be a good crew. And even though it was at 8-7-1, they won the division outright, with a little help from a Julius Peppers strip-sack. So I will give a hand to Rodgers and his teammates.

23. Packer’s defense will lose the game again. Rodgers can’t play on both sides of the ball, and when the final second tics, Clay Mathews will be on the field, crying like the baby he is

24. thetruthcampaign says:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:31 AM
    It’s definitely all or nothing. All it takes is one hit, and Rodgers could be out till next season. I don’t put much stock in Randall Cobb being effective either

——————————————————————————–

Truth? Rodgers looked pretty good, scrambling for first downs, only hit he took was a flagged late one by a desperate underachiever. As for Randall, well, perhaps you might wanna buy some Packers stock.

25. Vim says:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:09 PM

Last time I checked 10-6 does not make you a loser.
    they play far tougher competition than the packers did

26. Happy to win the division, but i dont see anything that would make me think the pack can win this one. I hope they prove me wrong.

27. Look, I agree there is an obvious imbalance with the playoff seeding format, and it needs to be addressed. But lets face it, trolls: If Rogers doesn’t get injured this year, they finish at least 10-6, probably 12-4.

And to BearNation: Thanks for the tough match-up, much respect. Til we meet again next year! 😉

Go Pack! 😉

28. Kap showed that he can beat you both with his cannon of an arm and his legs. Quinton Patton is back, and made a couple of big plays. The Niners team is stronger and healthier than the team that beat the Pack the first game of the season. Be prepared for Niners domination.

29. this has easy pickens for the niners written all over it, they smoked the pack last year in the play offs and will again, what is the most recent pack record at home? 0-2? 0-3 I think? home field advantage means nothing there…..maybe harbaugh should give coughlin from the giants a call, just for arguments sake….:-)

30. omeimontis says: Dec 29, 2013 8:40 PM

Kap showed that he can beat you both with his cannon of an arm and his legs.
    ==============================

This week, it looks like he’ll get to prove whether he can win when the temps are below 20. Ball handling is much tougher. Might make that cannon misfire. Speed is negated. You feel hits more. It’s just different than playing a game in such relatively balmy conditions as, say, 35 degree.

I believe I’ll wait to see him prove it before I accept it as a given.

31. sampetros says:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:23 PM
    This is not correct. If Dallas wins then Packers get the 3rd seed as a 8-7-1 record is better than a 8-8 Record.

—-

If Dallas wins they’ll be 9-7.

32. hscorpio | Dec 29, 2013, 5:05 PM PST

Enjoy the flight in from Cali, 49ers.

————–

The weather should be non factor for the 49ers. They are built to play in a bad weather with their smash mouth running game approach. I don’t know if Packers have the D to stop it. It’s going to be a good classic game for sure. Probably a long game for the Packers D.

33. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:31 PM
    Congrats Green Bay on the flag football game you just barely won. You deserved it. Enjoy it, because you’ll be one and done next week, chumps.
    //////////////////////////////////////////

As opposed to None and Done? I’ll take it, thank you very much.

34. Kaep’s major nemesis, Chris Matthews, isn’t playing. With GB’s secondary, Kaepernick SHOULD have another gonzo day at Green Bay’s expense. That having been said…… on any given Sunday……

Congrats to the Packers for winning their division. It may not be the NFC West, but it is fairly evenly matched, and Green Bay has been a rather consistent winner within that division over the past few years.

GO NINERS!

35. Hey niner fans…….if your team wants to train in Seattle to acclimate to colder weather, the hawks won’t be using their facilities this week. Just a neighborly offer….haha

36. As a Packer fan, I’m glad they get to host a playoff game next week. However, i do think that while winning your division should guarantee a playoff spot, the seeding should be independent of that. A division winner with a worse record than a wild card team suggests that not only did the wild card team have a better record but they likely did so with a tougher strength of schedule.

37. The weather forecast I just looked up says it will be in the mid-20s in Green Bay next Saturday afternoon and the mid-teens next Sunday afternoon. Not sure which day they will play the 49rs and whether it will be the afternoon or the colder evening.

During the week up until then, the average temperatures for each 24 hour period are in single digits. So, next weekend temperatures will seem like a warm front to the Packers and bone-chilling to the San Francisco guys. No?

The last time I thought the cold weather would give the Pack an advantage in a playoff game was against the Giants and that ended with Brett’s interception. I recall that the NY coach had all the practices for the Giants the week before outside to get his team prepared for the temperature shock.

Of course, it can get cold on the east coast and it was cold on the east coast the week before the Giants flew to Wisconsin for that game. Next week, every day in San Francisco will be in the mid-60s. The 49rs are going to arrive in Green Bay with a sun tan.

We’ll see if this weather thing has a bearing on the game next weekend. I’m thinking it probably will. May the Lord’s will be done.

38. juiceonfire says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:00 PM
    Whoever said Dallas will be 8-8 if they win is dumb. Dallas is 8-7 right now If they win that’s 9-7 if eagles win that’s 10-6

———————————————————————————-

Alternatively, maybe they’re not dumb. Maybe they just made a mistake.

39. fatgraycat says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:24 PM
    How quickly NFC West fans forget that 7-9 WON your division a few short years ago. And Seabags went to knock off the Saints. Any given sunday.
    —————
    True, but that WAS the saints, lol

40. If refs didn’t make that egregious mistake on the Brooks flag….. The Niners would be #1, Seahawks #5, and Cardinals #6….

41. UNBELIEVABLE GREEN BAY STATISTICS
    ACCORDING TO NFL.COM
    SINCE 1994 GREEN BAY HAS ONLY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 4 TIMES 1999, 2000, 2004,2005
    EVERY OTHER YEAR GREEN BAY HAS WON THEIR DIVISION AND BEEN IN THE PLAYOFFS
    IS ANY OTHER TEAM EVEN CLOSE TO THIS?

42. goldrush36 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:34 PM

I was hoping for at least one of these! Thanks gold rush…I feel much better now! Go Hawks!

43. That the 12-win Niners have to go ON THE ROAD to face an 8-win Packers club proves what a sad farce the NFL has become.

Such a tradition-rich sport is dying on the vine, and the NFL has no clue how to spare it. My kids are growing up in a society where the NFL is a joke. Maybe its for the best. Maybe I’ll just teach them soccer.

44. hawktawker says:
    Dec 29, 2013 10:02 PM
    goldrush36 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:34 PM

__________________________________
    Oh no don’t get it twisted. Unlike you jokes I would rather my tam stay hot and play the wildcard. Your offense has been struggling and you will get shell shocked in the process. Can’t wait to watch 90% of that “12th man” disappear when it happens. I was merely highlighting that the cards got jobbed in the process and you got gift wrapped homefield advantage. So enjoy it the short time that it lasts

45. I thought this about the 49ers and packers. 49ers fans chat about the playoff game.. Packers fans talk about the Vikings.. Am I missing something?? Seems like some people have issues with the past.

46. So the 49ers are the 1st victim for the Packers Road to the Lombardi. I’m ready for the Pack to destroy that overrated team & Joe Staley better not try to take another cheap shot at Clay Matthews during the game.

47. gb4mn0 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 7:57 PM
    thepftpoet says:
    Dec 29, 2013 5:16 PM

Packers will get destroyed by the Bears.
    ———————————————————-

—-
    Says the guy who doesn’t know when to use ‘you’re’ instead of ‘your’ hahahahahhaaha. Oh packer fans, you’re so easy to laugh at.

48. I feel bad for the Cardinals, but missing the playoffs with a good record has happened many times. I still remember in 1989 where 2 NFC teams missed the playoffs with 10 wins, while that same record in the AFC would have gottten the #2 seed.

49. Great last week of the regular season.

Looking forward to the Packers game. My only concern is that we’ve given up over 755 yards passing the last two weeks. Need to step it up against Rodgers.

50. Only contra could make fun of some else’s gar while making grammatical errors.

This is why Vikings fans are widely considered to be the most ignorant, hypocritical tools on the planet.

51. “if you want to host a playoff game win your division, if not shut up”

Actually the 49’ers kind of did win their division… Seattle lost 2x in the division. 49’ers lost once.

If the division really matters then the 49’ers won it.

Apparently the division does not really matter that much to the NFL… except to give .500 teams home field advantage.

52. 49er fans with excuses and point to refs talkkng NO game tbat was so many weeks ago. Cards caught 2 ref review breaks on fumble lost and the int that bounced 10 feet in the air kicking up turf pellets but no coach or player talked or cried about that in media. Wilson just said he has to be better and he was.
    49ers secondary will be put to the test by Green Bay. Carson just dropped major yardage on them

53. beastmode5150 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:07 PM
    Good luck, as a hawks fan, I hope you win, I would rather play kap than Rodgers and Cobb ALL day.

Careful what you wish for…

54. Packers will win…because they are the more seasoned team, because they have the more experienced QB, because they have the better coach, because Kaep has way much more ego than talent.

More importantly…Lambeau Field should be rather inhospitable this time of year to a Califckya team.

Go Pack!

55. poundtherock says:
    Dec 30, 2013 2:12 AM
    Kaepernick played college ball at Nevada. He’s not unaccustomed to playing in cold weather.

He’s from Wisconsin, Thats a tough place to play but id argue Kap has looked much better in his two games against the Pack then any other team he’s faced up to this point.

56. I really fear for Aaron Rodgers personal safety in this game, SERIOUSLY! He is going to take some SERIOUS LICKS, that offensive line sucks and getting hit like that in the cold will not be fun.

57. all you pack fans saying watch out for the weather, you don’t know whats coming, the whole squad has full hearts with big goals, that work very hard, ever since harbaugh came, this squad doesn’t lay off, AZ defense is legit, thats why we stoped scoring, you bet the squad will work really hard cause that loss in February hurts alot, they will be ready for the cold, its just as who wants it more

58. Lets keep in mind here people, with Rodgers as the starting QB this year, the Pack are 6-2. And for those who actually watch football, the Bengals caught a lot of breaks to beat the Packers. If the Saints “upset” Philly this weekend I think Green Bay will represent the NFC in the Superbowl with the much easier road going through Carolina saying they beat the 9ers. I hate Green Bay with a passion and agree there D is pathetic, but Rodgers is the best in the business.