Browns fire Rob Chudzinski, say “change was needed”

Rob Chudzinski AP

Rob Chudzinski lasted only a season as the Browns’ head coach.

Chudzinski was informed this evening that he is fired. A league source tells PFT that the rest of the coaching staff has been retained, at least for now.

“We appreciate Chud’s passion for the Browns, and we have great respect for him both personally and professionally,” the team said in a statement. “We needed to see progress with this football team. We needed to see development and improvement as the season evolved and, unfortunately, we took a concerning step backward in the second half of the year. Our fans deserve to see a consistently competitive team. We have high standards, and there’s an urgency for success. When we believed we were not positioned to achieve significant progress in 2014, we knew we had to admit that a change was needed, and move forward. Browns fans are the most loyal and passionate supporters in the NFL. We’re fully committed to bringing them the winning football team they deserve.”

The Browns hired Chudzinski in the hopes that he’d be able to do as a head coach what he did as an offensive coordinator in Carolina, and build a good offense around an inexperienced quarterback. Instead, the season was a disappointment as the Browns moved from Brandon Weeden to Brian Hoyer to Jason Campbell.

Still, it’s fair to wonder whether it’s really Chudzinski’s fault that the Browns were 4-12 last year. After all, he’s not the one who chose to go into the season with Weeden, Hoyer and Campbell as the team’s three quarterbacks. And Chudzinski going 4-12 this year wasn’t some big step backward for the Browns — they’ve been either 4-12 or 5-11 in each of the last six seasons.

Now the Browns, who went from Romeo Crennel in 2008 to Eric Mangini in 2009 to Pat Shurmur in 2011 to Chudzinski in 2013, will hire their fifth head coach in the last seven seasons.

Permalink 132 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
132 Responses to “Browns fire Rob Chudzinski, say “change was needed””
  1. 80sbroncofan says: Dec 29, 2013 9:41 PM

Poor cleveland browns fans. The factory of sadness saga continues.

2. astropiano12 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:42 PM

Yes because it was his fault the bro

3. purpleppleeaters says: Dec 29, 2013 9:43 PM

One year, with that kind of a team history? That’s definitely unfair. The Browns had some flashes, this year. They’re a bit light on personnel. That isn’t Chud’s fault. Heck, the team traded their star back and wanted to trade their star receiver as well…………both during the season. You cannot win with that nonsense going on.

4. nviverson says: Dec 29, 2013 9:44 PM

Absolutely unbelievable!!! This regime is just as bad as the last. I seriously can’t believe it!! You fire a guy after one year while playing with a third string qb. 1-12 with Weeden and Campbell, 3-0 with Hoyer. Get the coach a qb and see what he does. Unreal.

5. thegonz13 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

Change from what? Chudzinski was only there for all of one year. He was given mostly à mediocre cast of characters -including no quarterback to speak of- and not much else.

His team was essentially like the Cleveland Indians in the first “Major League” movie.

6. coltzfan166 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

To be fair, it wasn’t his choice to trade away Richardson, and it wasn’t his fault Hoyer got hurt.

7. TheNaturalMevs says: Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

In other news, the Browns are still the Browns. LOL! Have a good offseason, Cleveland. See you next year at this time when you fire Mr. 2014!

8. littlestinger says: Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

Dear FBI,

Please hurry up and arrest Jimmy Haslam.

Signed,

Cleveland

9. futilephish says: Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

Good for him to get out
    Bring him to miami as a coordinator

10. topekan says: Dec 29, 2013 9:46 PM

It’s like, they don’t even give me a chance to get to know them anymore.

11. phaktor333 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:46 PM

The Browns organization is just spinning its wheels in mud…on a hill…in the rain…with ten anvils in the back seat…at night…with blind mice behind at the steering wheel.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Dec 29, 2013 9:46 PM

I think it’s the GM’s fault, or anybody who played a role in activating the GM.

13. kingpel says: Dec 29, 2013 9:46 PM

Bring back Marty and let him coach for 5 years. This team will turn around.

14. Gordon says: Dec 29, 2013 9:46 PM

Unless they have a great replacement lined up, this is a dumb move.

15. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 29, 2013 9:47 PM

Hoyer didn’t do that badly, he won every game he played in. Why hate on Hoyer?

16. gohomeweeden says: Dec 29, 2013 9:47 PM

The team got worse not better as the season went on so I can understand why they would fire him. Usually good coaches see progress as the year goes on but this team just got worse

17. fatsolio says: Dec 29, 2013 9:47 PM

It’s amusing that some coach who cares more about his career/job than just getting a solid payday will accept being hired by that chump organization knowing full well they may get fired in a year because the front office is incompetent at building a good roster.

You’d think firing all these coaches yet still having the same outcome would be a clue it isn’t the coaching yet apparently that’s too logical.

18. drs76109 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:47 PM

Just wanted to beat Dan Snyder to be the first to fire. Cheap headline. And maybe they are trying to chase the silly Bill O’Brien chase.

19. jacobslatter says: Dec 29, 2013 9:47 PM

Sometimes you can’t go home again, just ask Joe Jurevicius.

20. bboos says: Dec 29, 2013 9:48 PM

Banner described the hiring of Chudzinski, Turner, Horton and the rest of the new coaching staff as “the most important and the proudest thing we’ve done so far.”

Banner also stated: “I have no problem saying, ‘If there’s a criticism of the coach, I picked him, so if you want to criticize me, I have no problem being held accountable for that.’”

21. pacodawg says: Dec 29, 2013 9:49 PM

It’s all fluff. Ownership dropped the ball

22. baller2 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:49 PM

Unbelievable! Not even nick saban would have had a better season with the personnel. If I we’re jimmy I would really take a hard look at Lombardi and banner and re evaluate that hire. If I owned a team and my people handled the head coach and staff this way, they would be fired immediately. Who was “leaking” this information to the press?
    Unprofessional, makes the organization look bad and just plain tacky.
    Not another ticket, merchandise or anything to be bought by me. I’m out

23. lightcleric says: Dec 29, 2013 9:49 PM

The only reason he deserves to be fired is if he personally tore Hoyer’s ACL and gave Campbell his concussion.

He’s like the reverse Kubiak,instead of getting fired because he kept obsessively going back to a crappy QB, Chudsinski got fired because everyone got injured except a crappy QB he didn’t want to put in.

24. stoptrippn says: Dec 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Hire lovie smith.

25. drewzducks says: Dec 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Is he taking Carlos Huerta with him ?

26. bucrightoff says: Dec 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Another owner who wants to throw his hat into the worst owner in sports competition.

27. ctiggs says: Dec 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Cleveland browns and cavaliers are the two saddest franchises in America

28. blantoncollier says: Dec 29, 2013 9:51 PM

Maybe Jimmy Haslam should look in the mirror. It is his selections of Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi that failed. They picked the players. They screwed up the draft and free agency. They failed to spent his dollars wisely. There are no miracles in the NFL. There is the rare quick fix like the chiefs this year.

The guy that blew it wasn’t fired because he owns the team. Jimmy you are the next Dan Snyder , Donald Sterling.

29. justrunit11 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:52 PM

Bad luck for Browns’ fans. Rob did good for what he had. He came into a team without a QB, RB, and players he didn’t draft. suck for your brown fans

30. ytsejamer1 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:52 PM

I think they pulled the plug on him way too quickly…but ultimately, they did him a personal and professional favor. He’ll be better off working for someone else who might have more than a five minute attention span.

31. bert1913 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:52 PM

i heard that tampa bay is looking for a hc

32. 4thandlonger says: Dec 29, 2013 9:54 PM

Not easy to turn Cleveland’s offense in to the Panthers with Jason Campbell or Brandon Weeden. Not that Newton and the Panthers have been that great until this year when the coaching staff had time to develop the team.

Good luck Browns starting again with a new QB and a new HC. When that fails they’ll likely get a new GM and new coordinators.

33. frank booth says: Dec 29, 2013 9:54 PM

That was fast. Change is needed. Could the Browns fire Obama?

34. mviglianco says: Dec 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Despite impressive offensive stats the players in Carolina had little to no respect for him and were happy to see him go. I don’t think this is a coincidence.

35. raiderapologist says: Dec 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Dennis Allen just shrugged and said, “The next two are guaranteed.”

36. achap39 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:55 PM

No QB. No RB. No #2/3/4 WR. Totally the coach’s fault.

37. brooklyn40niner says: Dec 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Mike Singletary deserves another shot.

38. brownsclown says: Dec 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Banner and Lombardi are garbage. Pure and simple garbage.

39. whodeybaby11 says: Dec 29, 2013 9:56 PM

Really? I am a Bengals fan but seriously give the poor guy a chance at least. It takes more than a year to fix that mess.

40. 202folife says: Dec 29, 2013 9:56 PM

the Bleveland Clowns did have 5 pro bowlers this year #justsaying

41. thebadguyswon says: Dec 29, 2013 9:56 PM

Is there a bigger joke in the NFL than the Cleveland Browns?

42. TheDPR says: Dec 29, 2013 9:56 PM

I don’t know what Browns management was watching this season. I saw a pretty scrappy bad football team that fought hard every week. You can’t ask for more than that from a coach. You CAN, however, ask for more talent out of your front office.

Perhaps Chudzinski was a little too vocal with his bosses in that regard. Suits don’t like being told they are screwups, especially when they are.

43. beltlessbuckler says: Dec 29, 2013 9:56 PM

Did anyone notice that both the Ravens and Steelers will be sitting at home next week.

44. 8oneanddones says: Dec 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Josh McDaniels is from Ohio…
    (Sorry, Cleveland)

45. fearthehoody says: Dec 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Everything Cleveland is just sad! Hope you guys get something to cheer for soon

46. tigersfandan says: Dec 29, 2013 9:58 PM

This may be the worst NFL head coach firing of the 2010s.

47. blacnsilvr says: Dec 29, 2013 9:59 PM

7 years….5 coaches….enough said!

48. kehav1 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:00 PM

terrible for browns…he was prety good with no good QB..no good coaches out there…

49. dude1988 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:00 PM

knee jerk reaction..

50. lawlessko says: Dec 29, 2013 10:01 PM

How about you draft him an NFL QB first. The rest of the team played their butts off for him, hard to overcome Weeden/Campbell.

51. clebrowns216 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:01 PM

I feel disgraced to call this “my football team”.

Am I disappointed that they are firing Chud? No. Chud is not a great coach: see his 4-12 record. Is it all his fault? Absolutely not. But a lot of it is. People we just giving him a pass because he was a browns fan.

I’m disappointed that the front office so clearly made the wrong decision. And they are obviously admitting it.

Now we get to start all over in a new offense and new defense. Not to mention our own players calling this organization “a joke” which it so clearly is. So good luck hiring a good coach and getting/retaining free agents. They don’t want any part in this mess. People around the league may have been fooled to think that this organization would change under new ownership but it is now officially still a joke. Do they not think the rest of the league sees this?

On a side note I would not be opposed to just giving the HC job to Ray Horton. I thought he should have gotten the job over Chud in the first place. He was the only person to come in and do his job.

And we sure as heck aren’t gonna lure a good coach to this joke of an organization.

52. remyje says: Dec 29, 2013 10:01 PM

“We have high standards” HAHAHA!! sounds like a lonely woman who is always single

53. escrimz says: Dec 29, 2013 10:03 PM

What decent coach would want to work for this kind of organization/GM/Owner? Not a good message to fire a guy over 1 year. You’d think people would learn from the Panthers and Ron Rivera.

54. ralphwilsonisrich says: Dec 29, 2013 10:04 PM

Where is Blanton Collier browns fans.

55. vikescry1 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:04 PM

I feel for browns fans, one of the leagues most storied franchises and yet their team can’t get any consistency. Good luck next year browns fans.

56. bozgood says: Dec 29, 2013 10:04 PM

New owner…same story. I’m done with you Cleveland. Your organization is a JOKE that starts with its owner and managers. I wish Chud the best of luck in his coaching career and it is my hope he lands with someone who has a clue on how to a football team.

57. bigdawgy54 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:05 PM

Been a fan for 59 years. Have just about had my fill. Feel like I’m trapped in a bad cult. I have a big decision to make. I feel like I’m the stupid one for following this organization. I’m thinking I should maybe get a football loyalty divorce lawyer.

58. bricktop02 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:05 PM

Thanks Joe Banner.

59. jpalughi823 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:06 PM

considering he had a 52 year old second year QB & jason campbell, four wins weren’t bad. they were close in a lot of games & did take down the SB winners

60. cymbaline6 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:06 PM

As a Bengals fan who has a soft spot for the Browns because he lived in Cleveland for 7 years:

Are you serious?

I was shocked – shocked to hear this. I guess it’s nice that we have some neighbors in our division who are polite enough to commit to living in the basement of the NFL, but I do feel bad for the fans.

I don’t know why you would ax *any* coach after 1 year, but one who was stuck with Weeden half the time? Unreal. What a dumpster fire the Browns are. Condolences, Clevelanders.

61. amgdds says: Dec 29, 2013 10:06 PM

Rob Ryan

62. fdugrad says: Dec 29, 2013 10:07 PM

The Browns needed a change BEFORE he was hired, and they will need a change after the coming year no matter WHO is signed. One year is not enough time to pull this team AND franchise out of the morass.

63. jhorton83 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:07 PM

There must have been something else going on behind the scenes that led to this. Because on the surface this just seems completely nonsensical.

64. the8man says: Dec 29, 2013 10:09 PM

frank booth says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:54 PM
    That was fast. Change is needed. Could the Browns fire Obama?
    ————————————————————-
    Brilliant and poignant question. Oh wait, how does it help the Browns?

Incidentally, the last man to coach the Browns to the playoffs and win a game: Bill Belichick.

65. steelerrc says: Dec 29, 2013 10:12 PM

So much for “Stabilty – and doing it the The Steelers Way”…..

66. ajgreenhof says: Dec 29, 2013 10:12 PM

“…but I eat dog biscuits!”

67. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: Dec 29, 2013 10:12 PM

littlestinger says:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM
    Dear FBI,

Please hurry up and arrest Jimmy Haslam.

Signed,

Cleveland
    ********************************************
    Best post I’ve read in a long while!

68. umrao1 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:13 PM

And the NFL says the Raiders are the worst team in football.

69. apkyletexas says: Dec 29, 2013 10:14 PM

Campbell, Weeden and Hoyer.

Sounds like about 4 wins to me.

70. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 29, 2013 10:15 PM

Behind the scenes there’s gotta be more to the story- he had big personnel issues that were beyond his control, to have instant success in one season is unrealistic with the team he was handed. I wonder what the real story is…

71. browns4ever says: Dec 29, 2013 10:16 PM

The New Cleveland Brown HC for 2014 is……
    Current DC Ray Horton

3 more years of rebuilding added to the previous
    14 years of rebuilding….

72. pacodawg says: Dec 29, 2013 10:17 PM

It’s tough to be a browns fan

73. boomgrounder says: Dec 29, 2013 10:17 PM

The Steelers, Ravens and Bengals should be fined for being in the Browns division for all of these years. It’s should be illegal for teams to have such a competitive advantage over the rest of the NFL. Same for the Packers, Vikes and Bears. The Browns and the Lions should rotate between divisions every season to maintain competitive balance among the various divisions.

74. navyat2000 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:20 PM

I remember when they hired coach, Mr Haslam said they
    Were picking a coach they would stick with their choice so give the stability and give that man a real chance to make a deference, yeah guess that was just a bunch of lip service to make the fans feel good, I no longer have any fair in this team and I’m actually glad I’m deploying for the next year so I don’t have to see them make anymore horrible decisions.

75. jr507 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:22 PM

They would have improved to 5 wins if the league didn’t give Tom Brady a phantom PI call every time he needs one.

76. MichaelEdits says: Dec 29, 2013 10:22 PM

I don’t believe we need him to come back to Charlotte.

77. flakeybiscuits says: Dec 29, 2013 10:23 PM

As the buffalo bills continue to disappoint me week in and week out, at least I can turn to my fellow billievers and say, “at least were not the browns…” I am truly sorry browns fans. Best of luck this offseason, Ill be rooting for you on the other side of lake erie

78. steelwarriors55 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:26 PM

Since it’s the Browns maybe we should trade them Tomlin for 4x1st round picks I’m sure they would accept

79. steelerrc says: Dec 29, 2013 10:26 PM

Just got this on my Twitter Feed:

RT @FootballExpert: The last four coaches fired in the AFC North have been the coach of the Cleveland Browns.

80. drsummeroff says: Dec 29, 2013 10:28 PM

One and done? What a bunch of losers. Its plain to see.

81. jshart1090 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:30 PM

I for one have been a supporter of this FO and what they’d done so far, but after this crap, I am flabbergasted. I guess I shouldn’t be, it is the Browns after all, but wow. I will not support the Browns any longer until they prove they can put an NFL team on the field and act like a professional & competent organization. No more attending games, wearing, or buying anything Browns related. Hopefully more fans do the same until it’s felt in the pocket books of Haslam, Banner, and the rest. What a sorry & dysfunctional team!

82. Exiled1 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:31 PM

Pretty sure he’s from Toledo not Cleveland.

I hope he gets a nice O.Coordinator Job next year.

He was tasked with making Filet Mignon out of old Bologna and gets canned.

Browns are a disgrace.

83. Drummond says: Dec 29, 2013 10:32 PM

jr507 says:
    Dec 29, 2013 10:22 PM
    *************************
    You are giving fans everywhere that complain their team lost because of the refs a bad name..

84. pkaiser59 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:33 PM

Didn’t they say the same thing a year ago? And the year before that…….and the year before that? I see a pattern here…….

85. ballboy48 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:34 PM

Just a short time ago some of you were bashing Cleveland for hiring him, as HC. Now, many think he’s the best thing since sliced bread.

86. ravenswhat says: Dec 29, 2013 10:34 PM

Why would any coach even consider that job?

87. klroot says: Dec 29, 2013 10:35 PM

What does Haslam’ s Brown’s do best? Fire coaches

88. gary2525 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:36 PM

I’m a fan of the browns but I can say that this franchise is a joke I mean really another head coach so that means another oc and dc and that means next year and the year after we will have top 5 picks again. Please go after chucky

89. thegonz13 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:37 PM

I feel bad for the people in Cleveland. Honest, I do. Given that the Browns haven’t done one thing right since their return, one can’t help but wonder why the NFL gave this poor city another franchise.

90. klroot says: Dec 29, 2013 10:38 PM

Change is needed, get rid of Banner and Lombardi!!

91. lance19 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:39 PM

Once again, (since 1984) unfair bias against
    the CHUDs…

92. bigtimebrownie says: Dec 29, 2013 10:39 PM

Joe Banner (Gringott’s Elf) had to blame someone. Disgusting.

93. lynx79 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:46 PM

Ray horton’s Browns defense was horrible. After the season’s first month , other teams figured out Horton’s bltzing almost all the time. Chud was fired by Browns as an asst coach only five yrs ago. No other teams views Chud as head coaching material.

It is a sick joke that successful coaches like Jim Fassel and Mike Martz are out of the league (and are media whipping boys)….while proven losers like leslie frazier (18 wins past three yrs) have many writers going to weird, nonsensical reasoning to keep frazier. Ohhhh, and unbelievably singletary worms his way into articles about coaching vacancies.

94. bujuman69 says: Dec 29, 2013 10:49 PM

I guess they were expecting a Reid/KC type of turn around. They do have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

95. isuhuskie says: Dec 29, 2013 10:52 PM

If you have a big name coach in mind – how much of a guarantee is he going to ask for after they did this? And if they aren’t willing to put up a big guarantee – who would possibly take this job, now?

96. phinfan says: Dec 29, 2013 10:55 PM

The entire thing reminds me of josh mcdaniels… Tried cutting or trading stars and upset the applecart too much?!

97. axespray says: Dec 29, 2013 10:58 PM

As a Packer fan – this year taught me to appreciate having an awesome QB.

He makes the offense/defense/coaches/GMs look awesome.

A bad QB makes everything look awful.

Brandon Weeden and Campbell are awful.

98. darcrequiem says: Dec 29, 2013 10:59 PM

This is ridiculous. One year!? If you fire your coach after one year, your organization is in deep trouble.

99. rodh32340 says: Dec 29, 2013 11:00 PM

You can’t draft owners….YET!….lot of clowns own NFL teams. I thought Chud would be given a chance in Cleveland with his Kosar connection! I really hope he pulls an Andy Reid and pops up somewhere where the Browns mgmt can feel the sting!

100. smogofwar says: Dec 29, 2013 11:00 PM

Lombardi is NOW in control. He condemned the Gordon supplemental draft pick, he has a serious love crush with anything associated with Bill Belichick and the Patriots, he proved himself ineffective in Cleveland and Philadelphia, he’s proven to be a flop as a GM and “HE’S BAAACK!”
    The players and fans are disgusted with the continued dysfunctional front office that continually makes poor choices and blames everyone but themselves.
    Seven different Head Coaches in fourteen years and most recently now five in seven years and these idiots think this is a winning formula so let’s do it again. This is their formula for success and God Help Us, they’ve Josh McDaniel. A losing record in Denver surely qualifies him for the position as our head coach.
    Sounds like our Federal Government!

101. johnster67 says: Dec 29, 2013 11:02 PM

Cleveland must be jealous of all the press Jerky Jones gets in Dallas, so they want to be as dysfunctional as the Dallas front office.

102. totallysirius says: Dec 29, 2013 11:03 PM

Its not Chud’s fault that a cheap shot took out Hoyer.

However, trading Richardson was the lone bright spot on an otherwise lackluster season.

Now the Browns should trade for a decent veteran quarterback and not waste a high draft pick on another Quinn or McCoy, more first round QBs flop than succeed.

103. drs76109 says: Dec 29, 2013 11:04 PM

Jim Tressel?

104. cmgww says: Dec 29, 2013 11:10 PM

So where are all the fans crowing about how the Colts got fleeced in the TRich trade? Your organization just fired its coach after ONE SEASON. I don’t care if Cleveland has 5 first round picks next year. Their leadership is terrible. TRich is finally showing signs of life and had a decent game today, on a team that has made the playoffs 13 of the past 15 seasons. Yeah, the Colts sure got robbed. 11-5 and rolling into the playoffs while the Browns are stuck in the mud as always. I feel sorry for the long suffering Browns fans. You deserve better.

105. steelers88 says: Dec 29, 2013 11:13 PM

I guess Jimmy Haslam didn’t learn anything from when he was with the Steelers. They haven’t fired a head coach since 1969. In my opinion you don’t fire a head coach when you don’t have a franchise QB. They should have kept him on. He seemed like a pretty good head coach. His team was in almost every game. SMDH.

106. govtminion says: Dec 29, 2013 11:21 PM

On a long list of things wrong with the Browns this season, I never once had the feeling that the head coach was one of them. Honestly, with the ridiculous injury bug they had this season at QB, trading off your top RB three weeks into the season, trying all year to trade your top WR… I thought things went about as well as one could ask for, really.

Perhaps Chud got lucky- at least he doesn’t have to spend another year dealing with this mess.

107. cymbaline6 says: Dec 29, 2013 11:30 PM

axespray says:
    Brandon Weeden and Campbell are awful.

============================

I completely disagree. Did you watch any of the games? Weeden and Campbell are not even on the same level.

Campbell is mediocre. He is a perfectly serviceable backup quarterback, which is exactly what he was hired to be. When someone like that gets pressed into the starting role, you’re lucky to break even if the rest of the team is good (see: GB this year and the Colts from a couple years back). Cleveland has some good pieces, but it isn’t a good team at the moment.

Weeden, on the other hand, is one of the worst 1st round / starting QBs in recent memory. Did you see that backwards underhanded flip-ball interception he threw? And then when he did virtually the same thing the next time he was put into a game? That is special.

Brandon Weeden is special. Campbell is not.

108. ytownjoe says: Dec 29, 2013 11:35 PM

Chud is the fall guy.
    Banner and Lombardi gotta go. They failed to provide talent, especially at quarterback.

109. 1rockyracoon says: Dec 29, 2013 11:43 PM

Tip for the next Browns head coach: rent, don’t buy a house. Don’t bother relocating your family. Your time in Cleveland will be short.

110. thetooloftools says: Dec 29, 2013 11:55 PM

We are owned and managed by SUCKHEADS.

111. raiderlyfe510 says: Dec 30, 2013 12:02 AM

The sad part about it is that Browns coaching staff will coach circles around my Raiders coaching staff…and Raider Nation may be stuck with 3 years of this miserable football.

Not a Lombardi fan, but like Al Davis(RIP)will say. You rather be right than to be consistent. No need to prolong misery for the sake of continutity. Don’t worry about what other franchises will do..do what’s best for your team. It’s the Raider Way…Looks like Lombarid learned something while he was here.

112. riverace19 says: Dec 30, 2013 12:37 AM

He will get a good job somewhere and forget he ever worked for the Browns. Hard to feel sympathetic for a franchise that is pathetic.

113. 209erfan says: Dec 30, 2013 12:42 AM

The browns should take a hard look at Greg Roman … He’d be a solid hire and would get the most out of Brian hoyer while grooming a young qb to eventually take over … He also coaches a very physical style of football and demands his players to be tough and physical as well and most of all he’s a genius in the run game and truly believes in staying committed to it … So all in all I think he’d be a perfect fit in the AFC North

114. brenenostler says: Dec 30, 2013 12:44 AM

I thought this was a stupid hire from the beginning. Look how much better Carolina is doing without him. But Cleveland is probably just gonna hire Ken Whisenhunt anyway, so they’re not really fixing anything.

115. theghostofberniekosar says: Dec 30, 2013 12:49 AM

Paging Jim Tressel…Mr. Tressel please call a white courtesy phone…

116. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 30, 2013 12:59 AM

This has to be the dumbest firings I can ever think of. I thought the browns looked very improved, despite tons of quarterbacks. Hoyer looks long term. Just keep the guy healthy

117. jimiinpa says: Dec 30, 2013 1:14 AM

do any Cleveland teams not suck?

118. couldntthinkofaname says: Dec 30, 2013 1:21 AM

LOL All the Browns fans hated Lerner because he supposedly “didn’t care” (despite never pinching one penny and spending tens of millions of dollars on the team) because he owned a soccer team.

So how’s Haslem working out for you?

119. longsufferingbillsfan says: Dec 30, 2013 1:38 AM

Being able to dangle those two first round picks in front of potential head coaches will be nice for them. Coach C.H.U.D. got shafted, he was winning with Hoyer. Douchey moves by douchey management.

120. mayfieldroadboy says: Dec 30, 2013 2:01 AM

They hated Modell when he owned the Browns; he moved the team. Lerner was snubbed for helping Modell leave Cleveland; his son was despised for being a non-caring owner who would rather sit on his Ashton Villa and count money. Haslam paid 1 billion dollars for this team and all I read is his being guilty of criminality for which he has not been charged.

The fans made death threats against Schottenheimer and were calling for the head of Belichick. The fans hated Mangini, the fans hated Shurmur; they cheered Policy and Holmgren out of town; now hate on Banner and Lombardi.

Some like it cold, some like it hot. But the fans always want what they have not.

121. natelan69 says: Dec 30, 2013 3:33 AM

Big mistake. Big. Huge.

122. cubb1 says: Dec 30, 2013 3:43 AM

Lane Kiffin would be a perfect fit for the Cleveland Browns Dumpster Fire.

123. kingpel says: Dec 30, 2013 4:32 AM

This is a team that needs to sign Lovie Smith and leave him be for a few years.

124. bartpkelly says: Dec 30, 2013 7:55 AM

Hire Holmgren!

125. hitemupgreat1 says: Dec 30, 2013 8:08 AM

Its Romo’s Fault hes fired!

126. thegloriousone says: Dec 30, 2013 9:12 AM

Modell and the NFL screwed Cleveland.

127. dana0405 says: Dec 30, 2013 9:48 AM

Haslam and his Flying J executives robbed trucking companies of rebates. Now Haslam, Banner, and the Browns executives are robbing fans of any hope. You can’t trust anything coming out of the mouths in Berea. Browns fans desrve better.

128. darcrequiem says: Dec 30, 2013 9:51 AM

I feel bad for Browns fans and I’m a Redskin’s fan. I just hope for your sake that they don’t hire Shanahan.

129. kwjsb says: Dec 30, 2013 10:48 AM

Chud out?
    Mr. Banner, when you took this job you were the personnel guy, and Chud had to work with what you gave him…..

Things we knew before the season:

We needed NFL quality offensive guards

We cannot run in the North with out a full back
    who would also give the QB more time in the passing game

We needed better running backs

We needed possession receivers who could catch the ball

We needed a QB

We needed a #2 receiver to open the field

We needed another LB to stand next to Jackson

We needed to make your draft picks count, (Did they)?

We needed depth at CB in this pass happy league, yet you released Owens as soon as he was healthy.

Before we look at the coaches who had to use what you gave them, maybe some self reflection is called for.

130. bucsnbeer says: Dec 30, 2013 11:51 AM

Bucs on line 1..

131. happster says: Dec 30, 2013 12:11 PM

How can any struggling team, particularly a train wreck like the one that Chud took over last year, fire a coach after one season? Hardly enough time to change a culture and turn around a program. Do they really think that they can compete with the three (and climbing) other teams vying for the scarce candidates out there? Those teams have actual talent on the roster and a winning history. This should shore up their decades of failing ways for at least another one.

132. bryce57 says: Dec 30, 2013 12:28 PM

I am 52 and have been a Browns Fan all my life. I am so angry over this firing. Chud was Mediocre at best but from owner to the players so was the team with a few exceptions of course.

How can the Brown attract a head coach with this messag let alone keep some of our good players like Haden who are entering into free agancy?? I would not want to come here at all given this message or cicumstance.

Also you would think Haslam who as a part owner once of the Steelers would understand how important consistancy in the front office and coaching staff is!!! IDIOTS!!!!!!!