ESPN hires Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow AP

Tim Tebow is joining ESPN.

Tebow, who has been out of work since the Patriots cut him at the end of the preseason, will make his ESPN debut next week when he contributes to pregame coverage of the BCS National Championship Game. ESPN’s announcement of Tebow’s hiring says that he will have responsibilities to the network during next year’s football season, but Tebow’s own statement indicates that he also still holds out hope to be playing in the NFL next year.

“I am so excited that ESPN has given me this incredible opportunity,” Tebow said in a statement. “When I was six years old I fell in love with the game of football, and while I continue to pursue my dream of playing quarterback in the NFL, this is an amazing opportunity to be part of the unparalleled passion of college football and the SEC.”

Realistically, it’s unlikely that Tebow will be in the NFL next year (although his old coach Josh McDaniels might try to bring him to Cleveland), so it’s good news for him that he now has another way to make a living. Tebow’s public statements tend to be bland and free of controversy, which wouldn’t seem to make him a good fit as a TV commentator, but his following is big enough that he’ll immediately become one of ESPN’s most popular on-air personalities.

Permalink 122 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
122 Responses to “ESPN hires Tim Tebow”
  1. floratiotime says: Dec 30, 2013 5:23 PM

Maybe he can bring some much needed morality to those heathens. I’d like to see him baptize a few … for like a half hour.

2. ketchupaholic says: Dec 30, 2013 5:24 PM

AWESOME! He’ll be a great addition to that liberal enclave! I wish him all the luck. He’s a class act!

3. strictlythedanks says: Dec 30, 2013 5:24 PM

Jesus christ

4. ctiggs says: Dec 30, 2013 5:25 PM

This guy isnt even smart enough for this job.

5. doctorrustbelt says: Dec 30, 2013 5:25 PM

ESPN needs to use the ‘1st and Ten’ graphics technology and generate a halo above Tim Tebow’s head during every broadcast.

6. bucrightoff says: Dec 30, 2013 5:25 PM

The Network that would kill for him now is his employer. How sweet

7. apkyletexas says: Dec 30, 2013 5:25 PM

Still waiting for Manning to win as many playoff games in Denver as Tebow.

8. heeeeelzfan says: Dec 30, 2013 5:27 PM

“ESPN hires Tim Tebow”…to do what?

9. micknangold says: Dec 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Form a single file line in an orderly fashion, haters.

10. sickoe47 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Skip bayless just jumped for joy over the news of the greatest qb who never was joining up to espn.

11. frankiemontana says: Dec 30, 2013 5:28 PM

Congratulations, Tim, keep up the hard work, never know what could happen.

12. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says: Dec 30, 2013 5:28 PM

Good God, really!?!

13. itswhereyourmindsat says: Dec 30, 2013 5:28 PM

good for him

14. undeadjesus says: Dec 30, 2013 5:29 PM

2014 head coach of the Browns: Josh McDaniels

2014 opening day starting QB: Tim Tebow

15. cajunaise says: Dec 30, 2013 5:29 PM

The novelty of Tim Tebow as pre-game commentator will wear off quicker than a New Year’s Eve noisemaker.

16. scandiman says: Dec 30, 2013 5:29 PM

Let the hate speech begin!

17. vicnocal says: Dec 30, 2013 5:29 PM

Why? The doofus talks like a 12-year old.

18. sdsmooth says: Dec 30, 2013 5:30 PM

Sounds like more of a Minnesota Viking type of hire.

19. skito13 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:30 PM

Good move, glad to see him get a chance around the game of football.

20. coachkilla6 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:30 PM

Let me guess – he’s going to cover men’s figure skating and women’s softball…if you know what I mean.

21. briscocountyjr says: Dec 30, 2013 5:31 PM

Congrats to him, I guess… I was hoping not to see his name in the media anymore though.

How are they going to de-program him from thanking gawd as a response to everything about the game? Maybe they can pair him up with Ray Lewis?

22. tiger7575 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:32 PM

Serious QB analysis from Tebow will be great….”Brent, as you can see the QB kept his eyes downfield and threw a strike in stride. There is no way to be successful playing that way. As you take the snap, you need to turn your back on the defense, run around a little. Wait till the receiver has 5 yards of separation then chuck the ball so the receiver has to stretch out and expose his ribs to the safety”

23. jayniner says: Dec 30, 2013 5:32 PM

Good for Tim! ESPN could use someone with character, class and humility.

Now, where’s Gruden going….

24. bonniebengal says: Dec 30, 2013 5:33 PM

Come on people. Let the man get a job.

25. dublindemonszfl says: Dec 30, 2013 5:34 PM

Tim, you’d better shave and clean up your act.

26. ripster65 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:34 PM

Good for him. Not to say he would be a great (or even good) NFL QB by now but personally, I think he got jobbed by the Jets when they stole a year of his life from him. I really don’t get all the hate towards this guy.

27. mrbigass says: Dec 30, 2013 5:35 PM

Josh McDaniels put in a good word and got him the job just like he got him signed with the Pats.

Soooo, he’ll be released soon……

28. thetooloftools says: Dec 30, 2013 5:35 PM

I hope Tim knocks it out of the yard. I just pray they don’t give him fluff assignments.

29. jhop86 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:35 PM

He should do a debate with Stevan A Smith… Hilarious

30. nfloracle says: Dec 30, 2013 5:36 PM

Move him into Ditka’s chair… at least we could count on Tebow to stay away.

Or move him into Keyshawn’s chair… that would be a step up for ESPN, too.

How Ditka and Keyshawn have held onto their jobs this long continues to amaze me.

31. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Dec 30, 2013 5:37 PM

Rigger Goodell and his obedient goons will do everything in their power to prevent the Steelers from reaching #7. The league’s sabotage against the Steelers is occurring for two main reasons:

1. They want to maintain parity. They don’t want us to reach #7 before another team at least ties us at #6.

2. They know that when we win #7 we plan on establishing the SFL and they don’t want that. We are the NFL’s biggest money-maker and they can’t afford to lose us.

It really is a shame that every Sunday, from now on, we have to defeat our opponent (which is no hard task) and defeat Rigger’s goons.

We will overcome. That’s the Steeler way and now we are better prepared for what to expect moving forward. Lombardi #7 next year is guaranteed, and, in fact, falls right in line with the original Prophecy.

32. dirtdawg54 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:38 PM

He’s still hoping to make it in the NFL. Him and Jesse Palmer.

33. qweststrike2008 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:41 PM

Hired to do what?

If its an analyst we may have someone who finally beats out Emmitt Smith as the worst ever.

34. fc187 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:42 PM

I think he could make in the NFL.
    Just needs a chance.

35. seatownballers says: Dec 30, 2013 5:42 PM

What? Vegas money was on Minnesota hiring him

36. zeke2517 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:43 PM

Great. So when someone asks him what happened during the game he will mumble something about being blessed and yokels all around the country will grow in the pants.

37. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 30, 2013 5:45 PM

Warning: Do not, I repeat, do not ask Tebow to pass the salt. Someone will lose an eye.

38. vincentbojackson says: Dec 30, 2013 5:45 PM

I wonder if he can throw to commercial.

39. csbanter says: Dec 30, 2013 5:45 PM

Tebow is stubborn if he had agreed to become a fullback or TE maybe he would be playing on Sundays. ESPN is using him as a prop. How many people do they need to analyze a freakkin college game ?

40. socatra says: Dec 30, 2013 5:46 PM

He needs extensive media training,I don’t understand the hate towards him. Good luck to him.

41. jpat2424 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:46 PM

Wish this POS would just go away

42. JSpicoli says: Dec 30, 2013 5:49 PM

There are a lot of anemic and anorexic jokes posted here. Do not leave your primary means of employment if you have any.

Be true to oneself.

Congratulations Tim.

43. i, flounder says: Dec 30, 2013 5:50 PM

hopefully they keep him in college ball. ray lewis is bad enough. at least you won’t have to worry about him going all sean salisbury unless he’s into bears, and then berman better not look at any pictures he wants to show him.

44. boobschannel says: Dec 30, 2013 5:51 PM

timmy tebow and ray ray can get together and host a jesus hour after svp

45. hmcfmf says: Dec 30, 2013 5:57 PM

This just in from the sports wire.. Tebow has signed with the Browns for a Six Pack of Bud and two $20 Starbucks gift certificates…..Go Clowns!

46. grruffgrruff says: Dec 30, 2013 6:02 PM

Well, I guess I’ll get my religion on Sundays after all.

47. mightbegoingtohellforthis says: Dec 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Tim Tebow can thank the zealotry of his fan base for not being in the NFL. His fans look at his playing as conformation of their religion. In their minds when Tebow plays (and more so when he wins) it is proof to them of the existence of God. A Tim Tebow 4th quarter comeback isn’t due to his incredible athletic ability, it’s because of “God”.. His fans wave signs with biblical versus at the cameras and try to turn the stadium into some type of mega church. The NFL does not want that.

48. willycents says: Dec 30, 2013 6:05 PM

I bet Speilman is torn up now. He wanted to hire him as QB coach to help develop their new QB

49. steelcurtainn says: Dec 30, 2013 6:11 PM

I bet he would be more excited to be playing football even if its for the arena league. sad.

50. number1hawkfan says: Dec 30, 2013 6:12 PM

So it’s hate speech and immoral if you don’t praise Jesus or tebow? That’s the reason there is so much backlash. My morals are fine and I don’t have a religious bone in my body. Being a great husband, father and friend isn’t enough for some people. I guess I need saved.

51. fatsolio says: Dec 30, 2013 6:13 PM

Just keep Skip Bayless away from him. I’d guess Tebow doesn’t swing that way given all his thumping…

52. bigtganks says: Dec 30, 2013 6:13 PM

They got Tebow, he shattered the mold and all he does is pick,… all… all he does is pick games!!!!!!!

53. jburk003 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:15 PM

TiVo Tebow

54. spdy34 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:17 PM

Those who cannot do analyze.

55. crappygovernment says: Dec 30, 2013 6:18 PM

Rev 3:8-10 says Tebow fans will win!

56. uglydingo says: Dec 30, 2013 6:19 PM

Our evangelical christian leader with muscles, good looks and humor will have a broader fanbase to pass his special insights of the game. Tim – don’t lose your virginity to the 4 letter network, like your biggest disciple, Skip.

57. xjokerz says: Dec 30, 2013 6:23 PM

JUST GO AWAY TEBOW

” GOD ” CASPER

HELP US

58. fearthehoody says: Dec 30, 2013 6:24 PM

A deal with the devil!

59. saucegarbonzo says: Dec 30, 2013 6:25 PM

Reports continue to circulate about the cause for the hiring of Tim Tebow, but one can only assume that the exorcism of Herm Edwards was a motivating factor.

60. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 30, 2013 6:29 PM

Is espn still on? Is anybody watching that has a brain. Stopped watching when they hired Ray Lewis…..great, now they will have a killer and a saint.

61. jeromez420 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:32 PM

Finally! Tebow accepting a gig with ESPN signifies his permanent departure from the league, despite him hanging onto the notion that he will return. I remember the night McDouche drafted Tebow. I threw down my beer and proclaimed him incapable of playing in the NFL. I predicted he would be out of the League in 2 or 3 years. I missed it by 1 year. I think it’s funny that just because Tebow got this job, all his ‘believers’ are touting his journalistic ambitions as much as they did his NFL (non) Skills. “See, I told ya!” they say. Well, see…I told you too, I say.

62. onbucky96 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:33 PM

Oh Sweet Jesus! St.Timmy of Gainsville is Bristol bound. And on the SEC Network. “Nobody” saw this coming. Praise Jesus.

63. bucnblood says: Dec 30, 2013 6:35 PM

Just another sign that the four letter network is as big of a joke as that cult Teblow loves to throw a knee towards.

64. vanmorrissey says: Dec 30, 2013 6:36 PM

Been rumored for quite awhile, and he’ll be on upcoming SEC network hosted by Joe Tessitore with Paul Finebaum along. Should be fun.

65. jagtiger says: Dec 30, 2013 6:39 PM

No personality and dumber than dirt!

66. dqstrong says: Dec 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Heck, he’s already an on-air personality for ESPN with all of the undue coverage he received for being the worst QB in the NFL. As I wrote earlier on a blog today when the McDaniels to Cleveland talk began; “Cue the Tebow to Cleveland bandwagon”. I guess you’re the first sports writer to jump on that train going to nowhere. If McDaniels is stupid enough to go down that road twice, he’ll get fired twice. Tebow should keep this day job, because he’ll never play QB in the NFL ever again!!!!!

67. undietaker says: Dec 30, 2013 6:42 PM

Get your shinebox Timmy

68. dqstrong says: Dec 30, 2013 6:43 PM

On another note, that aww-shucks, good ole boy, down home personality of his will wear out soon. Did you see him in the commercial with the two cute kids, they made him look pathetic as he sat there like a dunce. The guy has the personality of a turnip!

69. bradybbgoat says: Dec 30, 2013 6:46 PM

A match made in heaven. Or so Timmy will tell you!

70. slick50ks says: Dec 30, 2013 6:54 PM

Is it a good idea to hire a commentator with a heavy lisp?

71. undeadjesus says: Dec 30, 2013 6:56 PM

Actually, I think Timmy is a natural fluffer

72. imatroll300 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:56 PM

skip is probably having multiple orgasms and can’t wait for tebow to come to the studio and take Timothy to the closet so they can violate each other.

73. captaincanoe says: Dec 30, 2013 6:59 PM

Time to pry the 2 and 5 off my TV remote.

74. deathmonkey41 says: Dec 30, 2013 7:02 PM

Now he’ll have a national platform to announce his coming out of the closet.

75. thefiesty1 says: Dec 30, 2013 7:17 PM

No, No, No. Isn’t he lost somewhere in the jungles of the Phillipines? If not he should be.

76. mackcarrington says: Dec 30, 2013 7:20 PM

Praise the Lord!

77. kerzondax says: Dec 30, 2013 7:26 PM

Is ESPN that desperate to stay relevant? I guess so. Nothing like hiring a photo op Christian that says “desperation”.

78. snaxdsp says: Dec 30, 2013 7:37 PM

Commentate on what? Don’t you usually know how to play the sport you are talking about?

79. raiderrob21 says: Dec 30, 2013 7:58 PM

Figures. No problem, I will continue to avoid all BSPN NFL aside from the actual game itself.

80. hawkforlife says: Dec 30, 2013 8:04 PM

(although his old coach Josh McDaniels might try to bring him to Cleveland)

Isn’t that what ruined his first head coaching job. Sure, that’s what I’d do. Maybe the NSA will bring back Snowden too.

81. number1hawkfan says: Dec 30, 2013 8:15 PM

I think he would fit in better on Fox News.

82. uglydingo says: Dec 30, 2013 8:20 PM

Why do people try to tear him down because he is a man prepared to stand for good morals and decency? He will be a great success on TV because he is strongly motivated and understands the finer points of the game as a Heisman winner. I predict ratings will rocket because of his presence. Congratulations Tim.

83. alldonesmith says: Dec 30, 2013 8:20 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Now the Tebow talk will NEVER end…

84. bert1913 says: Dec 30, 2013 8:21 PM

as soon as tebow brings up hey soos i’m changing the channel

85. notwhoyouthinkitis says: Dec 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Easily one of the most disgusting, desperate and pandering moves by ESPN since they came into existence, hands down. All to simply appeal to a rabid minority of the populace since he certainly brings little to the table with regards to being a sports icon. Mark it down: Tebow will be an epic failure within a year. Again. No higher authority will help him out either. Again. Why would she? ;-)

86. danmarinos1stlovechild says: Dec 30, 2013 8:34 PM

OMG!!! How long do you think it’ll be before he starts thanking his Lords and Savior after every Gator’s win.
    Please shoot me now!!!

87. hardkor07mn says: Dec 30, 2013 8:56 PM

At least we don’t have to watch his dumb A$$ try and throw a football anymore. Whew, we dodged a bullet there. Thanks espn

88. blackdonnelly says: Dec 30, 2013 8:57 PM

I’m guessing the mindless, drooling hordes of Tebowmaniacs will have to subscribe to cable or satellite now.

89. yetimonster says: Dec 30, 2013 9:12 PM

HA!

90. vaphinfan says: Dec 30, 2013 9:15 PM

I hope he doesn’t act like all the other espn guys that make the pats sound like their the best team ever then make excuses for them when they lose.

91. bills4 says: Dec 30, 2013 9:23 PM

I wonder if he’ll take to one knee just before the camera turns his way.

92. legendaryordinance says: Dec 30, 2013 9:26 PM

I for one support the idea of Tim Tebow going to Cleveland. that organization needs someone to take the blame when they lose. Cleveland has several weapons developing and adding Timmy will create chaos and mayhem which from a Steelers point of view is very exciting. Please add this cancer to your locker room. (and for all the idiots bragging about all the playoff games he won, please refer to the Six touchdowns he and the Broncos relinquished in one half to the Patriots)

93. jacobk621 says: Dec 30, 2013 9:26 PM

For all the tebow fans , this has stirred up his interest once again to play in the nfl again ,, all I gotta say is that the guy who tebow banished to the bench (orton) in Denver is still in the league ( see Sundays nite game ) while tebow is scraping and scratching just to sniff the nfl again , that ought to tell you how bad tebows state of affairs on returning to nfl are !!

94. akboot says: Dec 30, 2013 9:39 PM

olberman has got to be beside himself. lol

95. boyshole25 says: Dec 30, 2013 9:39 PM

Good for him, anyone that has anything negative to say about him is obviously jealous.

96. squatcho says: Dec 30, 2013 10:10 PM

Good for Tebow! Great person, hope someone gives him another chance to play in the NFL! God Bless!

97. thebirdofprey2 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:15 PM

ESPN has been a joke for so long and everybody knows it. I am not even a Ray Lewis hater but I can’t stand listening to him on TV, the man is ill prepared and 90 % of the time nobody knows what he is talking about.

I am sure Tim will be better than Chris Carter, Steve Young, Trent Dilfer, Keyshawn Johnson. Nothing worse than trying to watch a pre-game and listen to the old guys talk about themselves like they can still play.

98. badmoonrison says: Dec 30, 2013 10:21 PM

As long as he doesnt cover the pros, Im OK with it. But knowing ESPN and the decisions they make, they probably hired him to cover the NFL which he barely knows anything about.

99. cspsrbums says: Dec 30, 2013 10:37 PM

What’s the difference between TEBOWS and RGMe? TEBOWS played in the NFL longer the RGME will

100. janessa31888 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:42 PM

I’m still amazed at all the hatred for him. So he isn’t an NFL QB, I realize that quite clearly, but do people have to be so nasty about it? I suppose if it was Johnny Football who got hired you’d all be gushing and fawning over him.

101. eastwoodchair says: Dec 30, 2013 10:47 PM

all you haters say what you want… but this is a brilliant move…$ for both sides

102. wolfiereasonedlife says: Dec 30, 2013 11:05 PM

This is glorious news providing it doesn’t affect his eligibility to the NFL Hall of Fame. Only four years now until he can be recognized as the best QB to ever play the game.
    Sincerely,
    All the smart people that prefer Tebow to Payton

103. uglydingo says: Dec 30, 2013 11:12 PM

86% of Americans are Christian but when a good looking muscular Christian (who sometimes needs a shave) steps forward to publicly embrace his faith, many seem to have a problem and try to discredit him.
    Look Tim will be taking college football on his show. I doubt that he will talk about his faith and inspiration unless asked. And who knows more about college football than him?

104. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: Dec 30, 2013 11:26 PM

An exit clause which will never be used!

105. boomgrounder says: Dec 31, 2013 12:07 AM

If Timmy Tebow and Urban Meyer do a studio interview please don’t let them share a dressing room!

106. suprdok says: Dec 31, 2013 12:32 AM

The main reason so many people are negative towards Tebow whether a believer or nonbeliever is the fact it’s a sport and people want to be entertained not be forced to look at religion in the process. What if he had worn Obama under his eyes? Would the Christian Right like that? NO! I’m a Christian and it bothered me as inappropriate. It should have never been allowed by UF or Myer! As evidence the NCAA banned such after Tebow graduated ! This is why people are so passionate about it! No one likes a goodie 2 shoes throwing it in your face! ESP in a sports venue where people like to be away from the issues of the world for a bit!

107. blackbeard43 says: Dec 31, 2013 12:33 AM

Nope, he’s not an NFL qb, and every coach, scout, and GM, hack, fan and non fan has seen that. His lack of talent of throwing a football accurately was there for all to see.

I feel it’s sad for him to say that his dream is to still be an NFL starting qb. Good luck with that to him, and I mean that with no irony.

108. bobnelsonjr says: Dec 31, 2013 12:40 AM

America loves Tim Tebow

109. xofootballer says: Dec 31, 2013 1:31 AM

That crying sound you hear is from anti-Christian bigots who will now have to see/hear/listen to Tebow now for the next 20 years! All the while uh-well-hmm-you-see-duh-um to explain why they hate him but give Islam a pass.
    I LOVE it!!!
    Greatest CHRISTmas present ever!

110. zeke2517 says: Dec 31, 2013 1:31 AM

“all you haters say what you want… but this is a brilliant move…$ for both sides”

Well, to be honest, he’ll be expected to do more than smile like a mongoloid and say “Gah bless.” Even yokels who hump their pillows to minor league football are going to want more than that after a few weeks.

111. xofootballer says: Dec 31, 2013 1:32 AM

quote:What’s the difference between TEBOWS and RGMe?

Easy – Tebow has won a playoff game.

112. tim2paul says: Dec 31, 2013 2:53 AM

So Joe six pack says, “I don’t get all the hate?” From where does it originate? Oh naive and simple in the ways of human nature. They hate Tebow because he reminds them of the coming judgement that will eventually befall them.

113. jrs1972 says: Dec 31, 2013 3:13 AM

that should be entertaining, they’ll have to run a replay fuor times for tebow to watch to get the slightest grasp of what just happened in the last play so he can say something about it.

I assume it wont take more then 2 weeks before they just run a commercial between every play so tebow has the 30 seconds he needs to figure out what the hell is going on on the field.

114. duffer58 says: Dec 31, 2013 4:08 AM

Just when you think ESPN can not possibly get any worse.

115. swflorida1106 says: Dec 31, 2013 4:46 AM

I could not disagree more with Tebow’s religious beliefs,but happy the kid is working..

There millions in this country without employment in a market where there is one job for every three persons…Maybe,someone could help them?

Brilliant move by ESPN? Really? I wouldn’t go that far,but I’m sure the worshippers of this kid will be out in force bowing down to their idol…

116. lance19 says: Dec 31, 2013 5:15 AM

Will you guys stop with all the “hate” nonsense…some of us just come to ProFootballTalk to talk about pro football. For years we had to endure
    “Just you wait, Tebow will rise to the top” then
    “He can play in this league…there’s 32 teams!” to
    “Well, okay, he can’t play pro, so let’s talk college!”
    Please, just let the fetish go. I don’t hate Tim Tebow…but I was right that he’d be out of the NFL within 3 years…now can we just talk pro football?

117. jhop86 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:11 AM

Have you seen the women he’s dated

118. i10east says: Dec 31, 2013 6:33 AM

ESPN commentary is unwatchable anyway. Especially if you root for an under the radar small market team.

119. artofscore says: Dec 31, 2013 8:18 AM

The only people who care about this are the media. I am sorry but this is barely a blip on the football radar.

120. cshearing says: Dec 31, 2013 8:32 AM

I have never been so glad that I ignore college football.

121. sungateman says: Dec 31, 2013 9:05 AM

He’s won more playoff games in Denver than Manning!!

122. monkeyhateclean says: Dec 31, 2013 9:26 AM

Stellar business decision by the 4-letter network, no doubt inspired by the Duck Dynasty nonsense.

With all the pre-game shows to choose from, what network do you think the Evangelicals gonna watch? Even the hint of having their religious views questioned gets ‘em out in droves!