Griffin tiptoes around Shanahan firing

Griffin Getty Images

After the Redskins fired coach Mike Shanahan, quarterback Robert Griffin III avoided the media.  He then opted to participate in a conference call, during which he made a statement and apparently took no questions.

“You guys were coming to get me and talk to me at my locker earlier, and I didn’t want to say anything at that time because I hadn’t talked to Coach or any of the coaches yet,” Griffin told reporters during a conference call, via quotes distributed by the team.  “I got a chance to talk to all of them before I left and I just want to say that Coach Shanahan has taught me a lot in the last two years of being with him. I want to thank him for drafting me to the Washington Redskins and giving me the chance to live out my dreams.

“I also want to thank Kyle [Shanahan] and Matt [LaFleur] for working so hard with me every day, day in and day out.  We did a lot of great things together and I wish all three of them the best in the future.  I’m looking forward to a new year and building this team back to where we know it should be.”

Per Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com, someone familiar with Griffin’s decision said Griffin “was worried about saying something that could be misconstrued at a sensitive time.”  Griffin instead preferred to “lay low.”

The question-free telephonic Q&A apparently represents a compromise between saying nothing and saying something that could be misunderstood.  Ultimately, Griffin said nothing — and that’s good news for him and the team on a day when they already have enough to worry about.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
51 Responses to “Griffin tiptoes around Shanahan firing”
  1. afterthesecrowdedstreets says: Dec 30, 2013 4:46 PM

Remember back in the day when people thought Shanahan was a good coach and that they could build a dynasty around RG3?

Oops.

2. skinsfan91 says: Dec 30, 2013 4:46 PM

Thanks for the update. Now let the hate course through your veins PFT posters. The Dark Side is strong in you.

3. parlett316 says: Dec 30, 2013 4:50 PM

Oh how quickly Robert went from “I’ll say what is on my mind” to “No comment”

Every syllable is parsed and dissected for the ravenous hunger of the sports fan.

4. tikisays says: Dec 30, 2013 4:51 PM

I’ll bet RG3-9 did most of the talking in the meeting@he was probably the one who told Shanny he is fired!!. RG3-9 is Little Danny’s Little Boy!!

5. willycents says: Dec 30, 2013 4:52 PM

A couple weeks ago Griffen was quoted as saying “next year he would be playing for a new coach.” Nuff said by Snyder’s BFF

6. f1restarter says: Dec 30, 2013 4:53 PM

Sounds like a prepared statement written by a shady lawyer.

7. skinsfan91 says: Dec 30, 2013 4:59 PM

Griffin was never quoted as saying he’d be playing for a new coach. But that’s cool that you can just make quotes. Got any others?

8. realfootballfan says: Dec 30, 2013 4:59 PM

Washington needs to hire a QB friendly coach who’s not a rigid hard head about coaching the position at the same time something like Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy. Either Chudzinsky, Hue Jackson, from the files of those guys never even got a halfway fair shake in their first go around, although I think Chudzinsky might not be ready yet from his first year but certainly didn’t deserve what the Browns did to him last night.

9. 1pwrightt says: Dec 30, 2013 5:01 PM

Washington needs a tuff love coach. One that won’t bow down to RG3. RG3 is extremely talented I hate to see his ego be his downfall.

10. plinythedumber says: Dec 30, 2013 5:01 PM

Good job coach killer. Dump ego boy and keep Kirk Cousins. He is a better quarterback.

11. jpb12 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:01 PM

So – he Belichick’d ya

12. raidersftw says: Dec 30, 2013 5:02 PM

Give RG3 a break? What do you imbeciles want the man to say?

13. ravenswhat says: Dec 30, 2013 5:02 PM

Dance bob, dance!

14. lanflfan says: Dec 30, 2013 5:06 PM

If RG3-13 could read defenses as well as he reads cue cards we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

15. qweststrike2008 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:09 PM

RG-Me = Akili Smith

16. stevejjones says: Dec 30, 2013 5:11 PM

And Shanahan had some final words for RG3. He said, ” “You too, my son, will have a taste of power.”

17. chawk12thman says: Dec 30, 2013 5:12 PM

Laying Low…….? Didn’t learn that from Coach…..

18. lance19 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:13 PM

The media & fans may want something to get worked up about, but laying low and watching what you say is extremely smart at a time like this.

19. pftbillsfan says: Dec 30, 2013 5:15 PM

And then he talked about his knee, winced and Snyder rubbed his shoulder before picking up his dry cleaning.

20. skinsfan91 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:15 PM

Right, treat a guy who had the best rookie season ever like he’s a bum because he had an average season his send year after coming off major knee surgery and having no offseason. “HEY, YOU’RE NOT DISSING RGIII! down vote”

21. mattw70 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:17 PM

Haters on here commenting about RG3 running the show and the Skins needing a coach who will stand up to him.
    You do know that RG3 was sitting on the bench the last 3 games?

22. spitsfire says: Dec 30, 2013 5:20 PM

“”Give RG3 a break? What do you imbeciles want the man to say?””

Exactly.!

23. csilojohnson says: Dec 30, 2013 5:20 PM

Good by him. Shows a lot of composure and respect to not feed the beast.

24. heeeeelzfan says: Dec 30, 2013 5:25 PM

Colts fans everywhere are breathing a collective sigh of relief.

25. thefootballgodssay says: Dec 30, 2013 5:27 PM

RGME IS A COACH KILLER

26. dretwann says: Dec 30, 2013 5:33 PM

Why even go to him for comment unless you were LOOKING for something remotely controversial. RG3 is smart. He is learning, despite wanting to be bluntly honest, he can’t. Not when the media will sift through every syllable, every nuance to drum up controversy because that is what sells. Good will is for birds as far as the media is concerned. Controversy, strife, that is the money maker. I use to hate Belichick for the way he handles the.media. I’m sorry about that. His way is the ONLY way. Hos way is if the media is gonna run a negative story it will be off someone else not him. He will only give you enough to gripe about how he didn’t say much. Keep Belichick’n RG. Screw the media.

27. skinsfan91 says: Dec 30, 2013 5:39 PM

And how did RGIII handle the benching? Did will with a towel on his head? No, he was every game cheering on the team, high fiving Cousins, and being a team player. Oh no, but he’s RGME. Ugh. You people will never give up hating on. RGIII will you?

28. kenny328usa says: Dec 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Not a Redskins fan at all. But he definitely did the right thing. The media would have picked apart every syllable of what he said and made it sound bad somehow if he decided to take questions. Good for you Bob your learning.

29. fdugrad says: Dec 30, 2013 5:45 PM

So…After he walks over the head coach’s dead body that HE engineered, Griffin TIPTOES around? Yeah, tiptoes around the corner as he skulks surreptitiously into the off-season. Perhaps the famous Redskin Band can strike up the old song, “I Shot the Sheriff” at each home game when Robbie slinks onto the field as the lineup is introduced.

30. mizzousooner says: Dec 30, 2013 5:47 PM

When is Bob’s next sleep over at Danny’s?

31. fanasaurus says: Dec 30, 2013 5:53 PM

“The greatest battle a warrior has to face is the battle within, the battle with his ego” Bruce Lee. Robert Griffin take note.

32. csbanter says: Dec 30, 2013 5:59 PM

Its surprising to find so many frontrunners that call themselves skins fan. One year ago RG3 was the second coming and now he’s a bum.

33. dlr4skins says: Dec 30, 2013 6:01 PM

Reminds me of old Fred “Twinkletoes” Flintstone.

34. akknelle says: Dec 30, 2013 6:02 PM

So let me get this right, RG3 is a coach killer, even though he’s the only qb to post a winning record under Shanahan for Washington? Shanahan killed his own reign. If not for RG3 he probably would have been fired before this season.

35. cfballfan1 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:04 PM

So Ridiculous Guy III speaks his piece. In other news -The jobless rate in the nations capital continues to grow….

36. tonyadams66 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:04 PM

Griffin stated, “I wouldn’t be the quarterback I am today without Mike Shanahan.”

37. donttrip22 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:05 PM

I dont think shanahan will be the last head coach fired while RGIII is the QB of this awful redskins team

38. cguy7 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:08 PM

Skins have 5 good players and a bag of stiffs. Lombardi couldn’t have whipped that mess into shape… No first round pick and they’ll overpay for mediocre players in FA. Repeat cycle. NFC Least again…

39. baily67 says: Dec 30, 2013 6:20 PM

RG3 is a prima donna, he’s got snyder wrapped around his little finger. it’s never gonna work, you’ll see.

40. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 30, 2013 6:22 PM

It’s not intentional, that’s just how he walks after Shanny ruined his knee and possibly his career.

41. realfootballfan says: Dec 30, 2013 6:32 PM

How exactly is Griffin a coach killer? Shanahan was 0-3 without him this year and 9-23 over his first 2 seasons without him. Furthermore, he’s a below 500 coach with 1 playoff win in 15 years since Elway retired. I guess we are to excuse his other horrible seasons and blame it all on Griffin. After what he did to Griffin in that playoff game last year, I wouldn’t trust him either.

42. laserw says: Dec 30, 2013 6:40 PM

How nice of the loud mouth snake to remain silent as his coach was stabbed in the back?!

The Gimmick has a losing record as a player in his career and two games were saved by Cousins and one was started and won by Cousins.

We know that this year that the Gimmick had a game just as bad as Cousins in perfect weather and this is a FACT because the chatroom was taking bets when the Gimmick would have 100 yards passing and only managed to hit that mark in the 4th quarter; of course Cousins did this in the pouring rain and with a team falling apart at the seems but the Gimmick sycophants don’t care – and the Gimmick only won 3 out of 13 games this season while the team was at its best.

What should have happened is the Gimmick should have been benched at the second half of the Seattle game last year and at the bye week this year. For all of the revisionist history and lies from the Gimmick sycophants, you have an untalented running back with a huge ego that can’t be coached and who can’t read any defenses, holds the ball too long, sees only ONE receiver, and can’t run a two minute offense in two minutes or less.

The facts hurt, but the Gimmick is no more pro caliber as a QB than I was at his age.

43. qckappa says: Dec 30, 2013 7:11 PM

RG3 exercised good judgement and he still is criticized ridiculously. Many of you need to grow up and resolve your own issues.

44. peopletrains says: Dec 30, 2013 7:16 PM

Griffin is a primadonna.

45. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 30, 2013 7:37 PM

If he is tip toeing his knee must feel better.

46. rg3andthensome says: Dec 30, 2013 9:22 PM

Rg3

If you are reading this….Disregard any of the hate filled messages. You are good and will bring the respect back to DC…

Skins Fans

47. bigcheetah19 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:02 PM

Although I understand the need to get rid of Shanahan and the staff after such a dismal year I think that RG3 has a long way to go in regards to being a leader for the Skins…I thought his actions today in the locker room by maintaining silence and then obviously reading off a written statement in his conference call was extremely passive aggressive in nature and not the grace that should be shown by the face of this franchise…can anyone picture Peyton manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers not commenting on the termination of their head coach? Whether or not RG3 and Shanahan had a good relationship or not out of respect for the organization and the locker room Griffin should have played the game and said all the right things right then and there as he cleaned out his locker. Not a good look.

48. cfballfan1 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:28 PM

RG apologists can keep on making excuses. Talk is cheap – let’s see him prove it on the field next season.

49. cspsrbums says: Dec 30, 2013 10:38 PM

What’s the difference between Tebow and RGMe? Tebow played in the NFL longer the RGME will

50. aprilwalker2013 says: Dec 30, 2013 11:24 PM

He did say all the right things this time! Wished he would’ve done it sooner. I like him and think this season as taught him a lot. Until proven otherwise he will be known as a coach killer. That’s the way it goes, no way around it. It just appears, fair or not, that he got Mike fired. Not a good look for a 2nd year QB. This is the NFL people not NBA !! Think he turns it around and has learned he runs the plays not get mad about plays called. I’m hanging in with him but he’s gotta change a tad. HTTR

51. bigblackanvil says: Dec 31, 2013 7:48 AM

My fellow Redskins fans let me say this. It is pointless to go back and forth with some of then people on the greatness of RG3. I mean if a Bills fan chimes in against the man what does that say about the people who side with him?? Da’ Bills….another trophy-less franchise…HTTR