Lamarr Houston doesn’t expect to return to Oakland

b1f1e61bd73513eb426c40b2e651279b AP

The Raiders haven’t made any public comments about their plans regarding coach Dennis Allen or General Manager Reggie McKenzie, but one of the team’s players is sharing his thoughts about his future with the organization.

Defensive end Lamarr Houston was one of the most productive players on the Oakland defense this season, leading the team with six sacks and frequently drawing extra attention from offensive blockers. It was a good showing in a contract year for the impending free agent, although he wasn’t left with the impression that it was one that would lead the Raiders to want him back.

“I believe that Dennis Allen and the Raiders might be looking to move on and have me go to another team and find something more what they want for their system and their scheme,” Houston said, via Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group. “Who knows? It’s a rough business, and nothing’s guaranteed, and everything changes from day to day.”

For the first time in the last few years, the Raiders will have copious amounts of cap space at their disposal as they put together their roster. They also have 17 free agents of their own, which means that they’ll have several decisions to make. Houston and left tackle Jared Veldheer are the two biggest names on that list and one of them isn’t feeling the love as the offseason gets underway.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Lamarr Houston doesn’t expect to return to Oakland”
  1. dankinator says: Dec 30, 2013 10:25 AM

We’d love to have you in Indy bro!

2. raiderufan says: Dec 30, 2013 10:29 AM

That’s very dissapointing….I hope he’s getting the wrong vibe.

3. JSpicoli says: Dec 30, 2013 10:30 AM

I would like to have him back., But in no way should the Raiders overspend for this guy. In a contract year he consistently lined up in the neutral zone and jumped offsides on third down. I’m sick of these discipline problems and this guy is nowhere near a franchise player

And hopefully it’s not Dennis Allen or Reggie’s decision. I’m looking forward to a new front office and coach

4. bwisnasky says: Dec 30, 2013 10:33 AM

As a Raider fan I can say I hate to see Houston go, but to me, this is player speak for I’m not coming back here unless you make me a huge mistake type deal that Al would have given him … and Lamarr, I’m sorry.. you are a good player on a very poor team, but you aren’t worth breaking the bank to keep….

5. JSpicoli says: Dec 30, 2013 10:37 AM

I’d rather have Jared Allen or Orapko

6. boknowsvt says: Dec 30, 2013 10:37 AM

Re-signing Veldy is top priority. Then Jennings. Anyone else can go somewhere else as far as I’m concerned.

7. raiderlyfe510 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:46 AM

————————————————————————-
    This is what is so discouraging to me. We’re about to use up this Cap space and next two draft classes on players that fit a lame duck Coach’s system. What a waste.

This coach will be fired eventually. He can’t even develop the Players that Reggie Mckenzie drafts. We have to sit here and watch him waste another draft class and some cap space??? Ridiculous

8. cougarts76 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:49 AM

One guy that actually made some plays. Yeah that doesn’t fit our scheme. Let’s get rid of him. SMH at my favorite team.

9. zeddicuszorander says: Dec 30, 2013 10:50 AM

Who would want to return to that dumpster fire?

10. demolition510 says: Dec 30, 2013 10:56 AM

“Frequently drawing extra attention”. Funny stuff.

The guy is solid at times but far from a star. Should not be paid elite money (what he is seeking). Possibly out of position.

He disappears in games.

11. doitbigreggiemckenzie says: Dec 30, 2013 10:56 AM

He’s great against the run and did lead team in sacks but he’s not worth overpaying to keep. His hair styl

12. kcroyal says: Dec 30, 2013 10:58 AM

Sounds like a guy who wants out of that black hole of a franchise. Can’t blame him. The Raiders have been a joke for so long it’s almost not funny anymore. Almost.

13. gibbyfan says: Dec 30, 2013 10:59 AM

Hate to say it but nothing will help this team for at least 3 years…..very sick organization –diesease started in 2004 when in desperate need of a QB the y passed on at least 5 pro bowl caliber QBs only to go with possibly the biggest bust in NFL history –hard to recover from that kind of far reaching consistent incompetence.

14. joetoronto says: Dec 30, 2013 11:01 AM

I’ve been trying not to say anything but it’s getting really hard now.

This team that just finished the season was built to lose, the Raiders had the lowest payroll in the NFL.

They happened to win 4 games and could have won more, but this season was a throw away.

How can the HC be judged on this season?

He and Reggie deserve to stick around, making changes every year or two didn’t serve us well in the past.

15. raiderlyfe510 says: Dec 30, 2013 11:03 AM

zeddicuszorander says:
    Dec 30, 2013 10:50 AM
    Who would want to return to that dumpster fire?
    ———————————————————-
    I’m saying. Even as one of the most hardcore Raider fans I’m almost done with this franchise.

Sat here for the past two years and watched a garbage Head Coach get a two year pass for failure. Only thing that he accomplished in his tenure here was the development of a backup QB(McGloin). Yet he gets 3rd lame duck year.

Being a Raider fan is a waste of time these days. At least when Al was alive we were chasing greatness. Now the Raiders are just trying to be just another team in the NFL. My Raiders don’t exist anymore. Just silver & black laundry.doormat of the AFC west and couldn’t even beat a Wack NFC east team this year.

16. therealraider says: Dec 30, 2013 11:04 AM

Lamarr Houston isn’t a true DE .. Hes actually a bit of a tweener.

17. cospgsmadman says: Dec 30, 2013 11:04 AM

Lamarr, Come back home to Colorado, The Broncos could use your help on D

18. DaytradingHQ says: Dec 30, 2013 11:32 AM

Fire Mckenzie .Problem solved.
    Do you trust McKenzie to be able sign anybody useful? He will blow the draft like the last 2 and sign
    worthless backups to large contracts.
    He has fielded a team of scrubs and has not found any future stars.

19. socalraider909 says: Dec 30, 2013 11:47 AM

I’d let him walk he’s expecting a big pay day and he hasn’t produced this season so just like Desmond and Wheeler some other team is going to way over pay him

20. dougydougdoug says: Dec 30, 2013 11:50 AM

joetoronto says: Dec 30, 2013 11:01 AM

I’ve been trying not to say anything but it’s getting really hard now.

How can the HC be judged on this season?

- – -

No. It wasn’t a “throwaway” year. That’s the word bantered about in these silly forums, not in the meeting rooms of multi-billion-dollar sports organizations (not that the Raiders are that valuable).

Time didn’t stand still in the past two years. The Raiders still drafted players, made trades and other off-season acquisitions. They still practiced, schemed, and played every game. Yet, they were just as bad as ever. If I were a Raiders’ fan, the greatest gift I could imagine, in the new year, would be to hear that Mark Davis was finally selling the remaining slim majority percentage he has in the team, to a capable entity. Then, and ONLY then would real change take place in the front office. Until then, just enjoy more of the same embarrassing regression.

21. Raider-in-PA says: Dec 30, 2013 12:35 PM

As a life-long Raider fan (44 years), I’ve enjoyed the highs of the 70′s and 80′s along with the lows of the 2000′s. I am numb to losing after all these years.

But I ask you this fellow Raider fans: Who do YOU think couldve assembled a winning team with the situation that Reggie and Dennis inherited? Not even god himself (or herself) couldve done it.

I think a small nucleus of talent exists here, mostly on the offensive side of the ball. The secondary needs a complete revamp and depth is desperately needed at ALL positions.

This ‘pass’ that has been mentioned needs to be given for one more season after a full cap and draft has been engaged. To change head coaches every other year is the ‘reaching’ that also has been mentioned. It didnt work for Al, as we all can see. Sure, I want to win NOW just like every other Raider fan, but it doesnt happen that way.

As far as Houston goes, I think he is one of the best talents we have on defense and I’d like to see him re-signed with a modest contract. Then, lets pick up a stellar DE for the other side and start getting some consistent pressure on QBs..

22. greg2geez says: Dec 30, 2013 1:17 PM

Houston wants top dollar but if it comes down to him or Orakpo for $10 mil per year it’s Orakpo every time.

23. nbcwantsitsmoneyback says: Dec 30, 2013 2:10 PM

Did anybody watch this team the last 6 weeks? They absolutely quit trying and that is directly the fault of the coach. I’m tired of hearing excuses about a lack of salary cap or draft picks. This team was 8-8 two years with two different coaches prior to Reggie and Dennis Allen showing up with the same salary cap and lack of draft pick problems. This team has gone from “The Team of the Decades” to the team of excuses.

Reggie has had 15 draft picks in two years with zero successful picks. Do you really want to blame it on not having a first round pick, go ahead because all you have at the end of the day is an excuse. Jared Veldeer was 3rd round pick and he’s the best player on the team.

Darren Mcfadden had his two best years under Hue Jackson and has done nothing since. Why? A lack of a coach who gets the most out of his players and Dennis Allen has failed to do that with everyone on this team.

Does anybody actually believe that this team will be better next year because they have a full draft and plenty of cap space? I Don’t and if I’m right I wonder what the excuse will be 365 days from now?????

24. thatstinks says: Dec 30, 2013 3:35 PM

Of course we want Lamar back . It is obviously going to come down to coin and seeing he will be getting a fair amount of attention its fair to assume he probably won’t be back . Such is life . Things will work out for Lamar Houston . I’m much more concerned with my silver and black as a whole . Since Thanksgiving we haven’t really been competitive .
    Hopefully the team of Allen and Mckenzie will be told they will be canned if we aren’t trending upward in a big kind of way next season .

25. blackbeard43 says: Dec 30, 2013 4:15 PM

His agent is asking top money, elite DE type money which is ridiculous. It’s gonna be tough seeing him go to another team, but the raiders next year are going to look very different from this year.

For starters I’d like for McKenzie to sign Alex Mack at center and move Wiz to guard to solidify the Oline.

26. raiderapologist says: Dec 30, 2013 5:14 PM

I like Houston, but if they are going to spend big on a DE they will probably just go after someone like Michael Johnson. He’s better, and they are both about the same age.

27. joetoronto says: Dec 30, 2013 5:38 PM

Right on, Raider-in-PA.

28. xanderslugger says: Dec 30, 2013 7:42 PM

I hope they franchise him and re-sign Veldheer

29. radrntn says: Dec 31, 2013 3:19 PM

not sure why he feels that way. I think he will be back…really just getting ready to watch Texas A&M play today, and CFU tomorrow…Have to think it’s between Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel with the #5 pick.