Tom Coughlin: I do want to coach

New York Giants v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

As the Giants played out the string of their disappointing season, there was chatter about the future of coach Tom Coughlin.

There were never an overwhelming amount of voices calling for Coughlin to be fired by the Giants, but there were some discussions about whether or not the league’s oldest coach, who turns 68 in August, might choose to step down.

Coughlin met the media on Monday and said that there are meetings scheduled throughout the week with ownership, but he made it clear that his intention is to be on the Giants sideline next season.

“I do want to coach. … I’m a young guy in this business. Everyone asks me what’s next, I hope it’s the coach of the New York Giants,” Coughlin said, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger.

Coughlin said he still believes “very strongly” in his coaching staff, but that General Manager Jerry Reese and owner John Mara would have more details about next steps for the Giants when they meet the media. One coaching move that could happen is the return of Mike Sullivan as the team’s quarterbacks coach. Sullivan was on Greg Schiano’s staff in Tampa as the offensive coordinator, but today’s housecleaning lead to an opportunity for Sullivan to reunite with Eli Manning as Manning tries to rebound from a dreadful season.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Tom Coughlin: I do want to coach”
  1. gallaghedj311 says: Dec 30, 2013 1:39 PM

I don’t think they fire Tom, but if they do….Detroit is a perfect fit. They need some Coughlin discipline…

2. nokoolaidcowboy says: Dec 30, 2013 1:41 PM

Coach Coughlin, it would be an honor and a privilege for someone of your caliber to coach the Dallas Cowboys.

If you are gone from the Giants, some other team will benefit from your skills as a coach and leader.

3. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Dec 30, 2013 1:44 PM

He wins the Superbowl every year after a losing record. I would hold onto him….. ha

4. grogansheroes says: Dec 30, 2013 1:46 PM

He should coach as long as he wants. He won two Super Bowls with Eli Manning as his QB! Eli Manning! I don’t think Vince Lombardi could win with Eli Manning!

5. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 30, 2013 1:48 PM

gallaghedj311 says:

_________________

They sure do but I’d say the over/under on Suh clocking Coughlin would be about 2 regular season games.

6. kev86 says: Dec 30, 2013 1:48 PM

Best HC in the business. Forge ahead Coach Coughlin.

7. sdelmonte says: Dec 30, 2013 1:48 PM

No way he gets canned. It’s not how things work for them (much like Pittsburgh hasn’t fired a coach since before I was born). The players like him, the fans still like him. Two rings get you a lot of slack.

But part of me wishes he would retire here and now. Whether or not Reese and TC admit it, the team needs to rebuild, and I am not sure TC is the best choice for a rebuilding team that will have a lot of turnover. Never mind that I think Eli might be on a serious downslide. It really might be the right moment to retire.

Though if there is anyone who coaches well with his seat on fire, it’s Tom.

8. fdugrad says: Dec 30, 2013 1:50 PM

If I were a GM, and I had shackled my head coach with old, slow and injured players in the fashion Mr. Reese did, then I would step down, as I hope Mr. Reese will do, and SOON!

9. ratsfoiledagain says: Dec 30, 2013 1:52 PM

He’s a good coach that requires discipline from his players. It took the Giants players some time to understand, and buy into it.

Once they did buy into it, it got them two SB’s.

10. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 30, 2013 1:53 PM

Coach Coughlin is an absolutely great coach. Unfortunately, certain fanbases get very spoiled, lose perspective and then, act like whiny children when their team has the rare sourballs season.

Many of my Steeler brothers fall into the category. Good thing we let Noll work though his first three seasons – where we lost 30 of 42 games. And many wanted Cowher gone when he encountered a little turbulence. We were patient – and won a Super Bowl with Cowher. Same now for Coach Tomlin — there’s a vocal group wanting him gone (after we won two AFC Titles and a Super Bowl with him) — and this is essentially the same quick-trigger group that mis-attributed blame on Bruce Arians. Unreal.

If you want to know how good Coach Coughlin is, ask the owner of the Jaguars who fired him. Says it was the worst decision he ever made – and one of his deepest regrets.

Coughlin is 2-0 v. Belichick in Super Bowls as head coaches. The rest of the coaches are 0-3 against Coach Coughlin. The guy should get more respect from a lot of you out there.

11. ttommytom says: Dec 30, 2013 1:55 PM

Sullivan is terrible at everything EXCEPT being a QB coach.

12. kev86 says: Dec 30, 2013 1:56 PM

Giants don’t need to rebuild. The need to replenish like everyone else. System is set up that way especially when you have a veteran QB that has proven he can win it all.

13. quickstrong says: Dec 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Get rid of this guy, PLEASE. He needs to quietly go away.

14. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Dec 30, 2013 2:01 PM

This is a perfect job for Jon Gruden. Elite QB waffling in mediocrity. Gruden could win multiple Super Bowls with Eli. No doubt in my mind

15. MichaelEdits says: Dec 30, 2013 2:03 PM

There are, or should be, a lot of owners and/or GMs who are thinking right now, “Please fire Coughlin. Please fire Coughlin…”

16. MichaelEdits says: Dec 30, 2013 2:04 PM

Just imagine what Coughlin could do with an elite quarterback.

17. justintuckrule says: Dec 30, 2013 2:12 PM

Rebuild the O-Line and we’ll be just fine.

18. Eli on Injured Reserve says: Dec 30, 2013 2:18 PM

TC, there is life after football. Enjoy it. Spend time with the wife and family. Embrace the opportunity that has been afforded you. Being a Head Coach in the NFL is a very stressful occupation, that can take years off of your life. Enjoy what remains with no regrets.

19. wydok says: Dec 30, 2013 2:24 PM

I doubt he gets fired, at least this year. I can see him retiring in a year or two instead, even if he is forced too.

20. catfish252 says: Dec 30, 2013 3:09 PM

We don’t want Gruden as the head coach for the Giants, if he does coach I think he would go to the Cowboys or the Redskins.