Henne realistic, Gabbert isn’t about Jaguars future

Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne AP

Anyone who took the field to play quarterback for the Jaguars this year was a temp, a short-term fix because new General Manager Dave Caldwell couldn’t fix everything in one year.

And one of them seems to understand that.

Veteran Chad Henne, who played decently and was responsible for all their wins this year, said he understood that the Jags would either find a free agent or use a high pick in the draft on one.

Absolutely, there’s no doubt about it,” Henne said, via Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union. “All of the things that went on, the outcome obviously isn’t what we wanted, winning only four games, but the second half of the season, we did get better and do some really good things.”

Henne’s a free agent, but said he’d like to return next year, because he liked the system of offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, and playing for head coach Gus Bradley.

But former first-rounder Blaine Gabbert, who is under contract through 2014, didn’t hear the train that is so obviously coming down the tracks.

“I don’t want to be anywhere else,” Gabbert said. “I plan on being back and competing for the job.”

Um, Blaine, big fella, you did that this year. And you lost it to Chad Henne.

Asked if he’d seek a trade, Gabbert replied: “No, that’s a ridiculous question to ask. I’ll be here [April 21] when we start over and go through the off-season program with the same coach.”

Well, he does have a point. It’s probably ridiculous to think anyone would be interested in trading for him.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Henne realistic, Gabbert isn’t about Jaguars future”
  1. csbanter says: Dec 31, 2013 8:42 AM

Henne could be the placeholder guy but the fan base want red meat anything short of Manziel or Tebow will be problematic for jags in 2014.

2. jagwired32 says: Dec 31, 2013 8:42 AM

The quote actually was, “I plan on being back and competing for MY job.” Okay, Gabs. Sureeee.

3. kev86 says: Dec 31, 2013 8:55 AM

Little harsh on Gabbert.

4. primenumber19 says: Dec 31, 2013 9:37 AM

Unnecessarily mean post, what else is gabbert supposed to say?

5. joetoronto says: Dec 31, 2013 9:40 AM

It’s time to sell insurance, Blaine.

6. shoilski says: Dec 31, 2013 9:49 AM

Good gosh Blaine. Is it something in his water bottle that makes him this delusional or is he just that afraid to admit what’s really going on for once in his short career? Sounds like a robot just repeating over and over what Ex-GM Gene Smith brainwashed him to say to the media. I wonder what this kid scored on the “wonderlic” test?

7. cpocraig says: Dec 31, 2013 10:07 AM

Blain should have been honest and said. “I’m on the last year of the only NFL contract that I’ll ever get. I live in sunny Florida. I won’t have to play much next year so my body won’t get beat to crap. Why would I want to be traded. Excuse me I have to cash my paycheck.”

8. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Dec 31, 2013 11:18 AM

sounds like ryan leaf without the drama.

9. wishingtonredslur says: Dec 31, 2013 11:18 AM

I’d like a cup of coffee.

10. mutantman87 says: Dec 31, 2013 12:20 PM

My bad, Briscoe played at Kansas.

11. realfootballfan says: Dec 31, 2013 1:21 PM

At least Henne can be a backup for them. Blaine Gabbert is pure trash and should be out the league come March.

12. shoilski says: Dec 31, 2013 4:59 PM

Maybe Blaine should find a nice little Dominatrix woman to settle down with and toughen him up a bit?

13. jagsfan1 says: Jan 1, 2014 6:41 AM

He should have played better when he had the chance – but he might have been put in the worst situations in NFL history for a young qb.
    Horrible line, horrible play calling, ZERO running game due to MJD injuries – and HORRIBLR receivers who were dropping passes or getting suspended.

I predict a 12 year career as a backup – because the dude has an awesome arm and is smart.
    Probably gross 40m when all said and done – with maybe one more legit chance to start due to injuries or teams desperate for a qb.

14. jaxjhawk says: Jan 27, 2014 1:59 PM

Did I read another Tebow comment above? When will those losers realize he can’t play.

So I guess csbanter is going to be pissed when Manziel and Tebow wont ever be that high a pick.