Jovan Belcher’s mother sues the Chiefs

Belcher Getty Images

As the proposed settlement of the massive concussion lawsuit continues to sputter through the judicial system, another former NFL player has formally initiated a civil action.

According to the Kansas City Star, the estate of linebacker Jovan Belcher has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Chiefs.

The lawsuit, submitted by Belcher’s mother, contends that Belcher was exposed to “repetitive head trauma” and “suffered multiple concussive and subconcussive blows to the head which caused or contributed to cause a a constellation of neurologic/brain harms, including post concussion syndrome . . . and traumatic brain injuries, such as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE).”

Apart from the boilerplate allegations appearing in most concussion lawsuits, the Belcher lawsuit makes specific allegations regarding behavior that caused Belcher to play through brain injuries.  The lawsuit contends that Chiefs officials “engaged in mental abuse to ‘motivate’” Belcher, that Belcher was told “he was just an accident, and they would get rid of him,” and that he was bullied and pressured to the point that, when combined with Belcher’s concussion issues, “caused or contributed to cause [him] to become insane.”

The lawsuit also alleges that the Chiefs knew or should have known that Belcher showed signs of cognitive and neuropsychiatric impairment, that he was knocked unconscious during a game against Jacksonville in 2009 but was not immediately taken for evaluation, and that he wasn’t given time to fully recover before returning to practice.

The Chiefs played the Jaguars on November 8, 2009, only days after the NFL began to take far more seriously the issue of concussions and, specifically, the rules regarding a player’s ability to return to practice or game action.

The claims filed by Belcher’s estate extend beyond the handling of concussions, alleging that the Chiefs acquired a “duty to provide competent healthcare” by ordering him to see a counselor in October and November 2012, only weeks before he killed his girlfriend and then committed suicide in the parking lot at Arrowhead Stadium.

Belcher’s body was exhumed earlier this month.  Tests are planned on brain tissue to determine whether Belcher suffered from Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy.

The Chiefs had no comment to the Star regarding the lawsuit.

Permalink 95 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
95 Responses to “Jovan Belcher’s mother sues the Chiefs”
  1. threedeep1998 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:16 PM

See subject title: JAVON?

2. green41563 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:17 PM

She should consider naming her son as a co-defendant.

3. conormacleod says: Dec 31, 2013 6:17 PM

There is no possible way that they can prove any of these allegations. However, it is likely that she gets paid a million or so to go away, as a trial will cost as much in attorney’s fees, not to mention opening pandoras box.

The language will state that there is no admission of guilt on the part of the Chiefs organization, or the NFL.

4. rwhite84 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:17 PM

5. andyreidsbossoms says: Dec 31, 2013 6:18 PM

Only in the good ol U.S of A. The greatest country….to sue someone

6. green41563 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:18 PM

Mom should also join a claim against the girlfriend for negligently failing to keep her head away from Belcher’s gun.

7. maninbrown says: Dec 31, 2013 6:19 PM

Sue the Chiefs organization for your son’s suicide after he killed his GF? Are you high??

Any moneys that should be awarded to her should immediately be payed to the family of the young woman he murdered.

8. footballpupil says: Dec 31, 2013 6:19 PM

So her son kills somebody and himself and she has the audacity to sue the NFL. People SMH.

9. grant1979 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:20 PM

LOL. So after she failed to gain custody of the child, a pursuit driven by money, she now wants to sue the Chiefs. She didn’t even check the brain until after she knew she couldn’t make money of the child. Instead she waited until after the denial to exhume the body to check the brain.

I am sure her intentions are sincere. lol.

10. wmelch says: Dec 31, 2013 6:20 PM

I do not believe that a deceased player can initiate a civil action. However, I am not a lawyer, so maybe you could consult with a competent attorney. Do you know any?

11. kst2074 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:21 PM

Ok, the fact he was really drunk and shot the girl 9 times doesn’t look like symptoms of a concussion to me

12. MyTeamsAllStink says: Dec 31, 2013 6:22 PM

Good idea because money will bring him and his girlfriend back from the dead and all

13. FlashPatterson says: Dec 31, 2013 6:25 PM

This is so shameful. Trying to profit from her son’s death.. smh

14. phiddysent says: Dec 31, 2013 6:29 PM

And the team should in turn sue the mother for failing to pick up on the signs and recommend him for counseling and medical treatment as well. I mean…since it caused the team to lose a valuable asset and create bad marketing and cause undue emotional distress to all club employees.

Nothing quite like an opportunity to live off someone else’s dime…hope it makes her feel better.

15. redeemerac says: Dec 31, 2013 6:29 PM

Just looking for payday and to blame someone else for her son’s actions…..pathetic!

16. keltictim says: Dec 31, 2013 6:30 PM

So she’s filing the lawsuit before she has any evidence of CTE. Got it.

17. notmrknowitall says: Dec 31, 2013 6:30 PM

Sure get sick of seeing this stuff. Your kid played football and you all knew the risks. Even with all the new findings on concussions you would have to be an absolute moron to not think playing that game at that level, or any level for that matter, is not a hazzard to your health. Where were you as a mother when all this stuff was going on. I hope the girlfriend parents sue you for being a god awful parent yourself.

18. aldavisisthenfl says: Dec 31, 2013 6:31 PM

I’ll bet my last dollar that if the get a settlement they will put the whole amount in a trust fund for their granddaughter….lol…tongue firmly planted in cheek….

19. jsavage58 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:31 PM

Always have to find someone to blame.

20. newjerseygiants says: Dec 31, 2013 6:31 PM

So, let me get this straight…..one gets whacked in the head a few times then feels compelled to kill his girlfriend…..and then himself?

I’ve had a few concussions and feel bad after stepping on an insect.

21. iamthegreatcornflorio says: Dec 31, 2013 6:33 PM

…and I suppose all that booze he drank the night before was the Chiefs’ fault too.

I’m also certain that Javon (sic) Belcher’s dear old mum is earmarking all the proceeds for Zoey.

22. sgtdiver says: Dec 31, 2013 6:36 PM

Everyone knows the risk involved with football. He wasn’t forced to play.

23. kd75 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:41 PM

That’s like Olivia Manning suing Pappa John’s because Peyton burned his hand on a pizza oven.

Sorry lady. But you just raised a crazy kid. He didn’t grow up to be an accountant, did he?

24. riflemanlax says: Dec 31, 2013 6:43 PM

I’m just getting tired of seeing crap like this. There were several other hundred guys in the league that year that didn’t kill their girlfriends and then themselves. It’s not that I don’t have any sympathy for his family, but this just screams money grab.

25. sandman34rt says: Dec 31, 2013 6:43 PM

Chiefs should go with the Chewbacca defense

26. njsteeler says: Dec 31, 2013 6:43 PM

Bull#$&!, bull#$&!, bull#$&!…

27. sandman34rt says: Dec 31, 2013 6:44 PM

OJ must have had CTE too,this explains everything

28. seahawks12thman says: Dec 31, 2013 6:44 PM

PATHETIC! “You killed my son give me $$”

29. osiris33 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:45 PM

Yeah, that’s it. Your son is a murderer because of the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs, not because of the values you raised him with.

Right lady…

30. eblurb37 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:45 PM

I do feel for the families But its always the NFL players are 5 year olds and can’t think or make judgements for them selves weather to play or not?? really?? its about money

31. kylexitron says: Dec 31, 2013 6:46 PM

If she wants the right person to pay for damaging her son’s mental health, perhaps she should take herself to court. I’m going to go ahead and assume bad parenting was a bigger issue to him being a wack job than a few tackles.

32. bick54 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:49 PM

The trouble with this crap is that some slimeball attorney will take this case on a contingency, the mom has no risk whatsoever, and the Chiefs will spend hundreds of thousands defending themselves.

Too bad the kid didn’t stop off at mom’s house before heading on over to the girlfriend’s house.

Freaking parasite is pissed her welfare and 2 year paid unemployment vacation is running out.

33. drs76109 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:51 PM

Money….that’s all I want…

34. dannymac17 says: Dec 31, 2013 6:53 PM

Get ready whatever college he went to and the pee wee league he played in when he was younger.

you guys are next.

35. TheWizard says: Dec 31, 2013 6:54 PM

We all saw this coming.

Every NFL player has a built in excuse for whatever happens the rest of their lives.

People are evolving into slugs.

36. thebadguyswon says: Dec 31, 2013 6:57 PM

That reminds me: I need to sue McDonalds for making me fat.

37. smartestpackerfan says: Dec 31, 2013 6:58 PM

She is an American Hero!

38. jerseyshoregiant says: Dec 31, 2013 7:01 PM

This just in.

The NFL countersues the mother for allowing him to play football in the first place.

39. 1rockyracoon says: Dec 31, 2013 7:09 PM

Sad. I guess she should also sue his college, Maine, and the high school he attended. Then, the estate of his girlfriend can sue his estate because he was the one that pulled the trigger over and over again.

40. nofaceangler718 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:09 PM

What a leech…I hope they dont settle with this ghoul and have their attorneys send her back where she came from without a dime.

41. phil325 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:11 PM

Show me the money! Show me the money! Show me the money!

42. brianratm says: Dec 31, 2013 7:12 PM

CTE, is a doctor created disease. No evidence concussions cause it, no evidence it causes any mental health problems

43. saintsredwings says: Dec 31, 2013 7:18 PM

What if she’s right ? What if the lack of medical attention given to Belcher is what caused him to snap. Along with the booze.

I’m not agreeing with Belchor’s family just pointing out the other side.

44. greenbaybob2014 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:19 PM

Can we sue her for raising a murderer, journeyman football player with alcohol and rage issues?

If so, sign me up.

45. green41563 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:22 PM

Doesn’t it seem as if Belcher should have been on the Browns?

46. madtownthrowdown says: Dec 31, 2013 7:22 PM

So I guy who made millions of dollars family thinks they need more money. I’d take a couple blows to the head to never have to work to hard again. This stuff is ridiculous. Imagine if Veterans could do this stuff. You know, people who actually do something good for society.

47. slick50ks says: Dec 31, 2013 7:24 PM

He should have shot her on his way out.

Oh, and lawyers are down there with the dogcrap on my shoe. Sorry for the insult, dogcrap.

48. nesuperfan says: Dec 31, 2013 7:25 PM

I would think that long-term use of steroids, which could only be attributed to her son alone, would be a more likely culprit of his violence. I think that like most mothers, she does not want to accept the fact that her son was just violent, and therefore, she wants to blame anyone else so she can keep thinking of him as her “baby”.

49. judsonjr says: Dec 31, 2013 7:27 PM

Worst KC lawsuit since Derrick Thomas’ family tried to sue GM, because obviously you should be able to drive an SUV 100 mph in a blizzard, not wear a seatbelt, and be OK.

50. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 31, 2013 7:28 PM

It’s modern America … where nothing is anybody’s fault. Everyone is a victim. And the only way to seek proper redress is to file a lawsuit seeking exorbitant sums of money.

51. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 31, 2013 7:31 PM

Still trying to cash in? Didn’t he give then enough money when he was alive?
    Let the guy rest in peace…
    Leaches….

52. mydroopysack says: Dec 31, 2013 7:37 PM

Well her son was supposed to be her cash cow, but the piggy bank decided to off itself, so gotta get dat doe somehow!

53. mackcarrington says: Dec 31, 2013 7:39 PM

Case dismissed… Next!

54. boyshole25 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:43 PM

Lawyers and unions are killing America

55. gb4mn0 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:43 PM

If she can sue then I suggest all the lavender Larry toads should sue the vikqueens for 53 years of psychological distress that has led to their pathological need to feed the illusion that any of their opinions matter.

56. jerrahsucks says: Dec 31, 2013 7:45 PM

Just another leach on society. Obama says others should pay me, so I’ll sue to get some money so I don’t have to work. Courts already ruled she was unfit to raise the child he idiot son killed with 9 freaking shots, so a hustler lawyer convinces her to sue the Chiefs, and when that fails, she will sue the NFL, and when that fails, she will sue the United States. because somebody owes her some money for the idiot that was paying all her bills. Try getting a job you worthless drain on civilization.

57. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 31, 2013 7:50 PM

Her son is a murderer and she can’t change that with a lawsuit. I’m sure it’s an awful situation for her to cope with, but her son killed a woman. End. Of. Story.

58. broncostevenp says: Dec 31, 2013 7:51 PM

Yeah, like someone put a gun to his head to sign an nfl contract.

Oh wait……

59. lscratchingthesurface says: Dec 31, 2013 7:54 PM

He told another of his gf’s that if kassandra didn’t leave him alone he was going to shoot her. Yeah, it was all the Chiefs fault…. Right… Pathetic. I hope his mother gets nothing.

60. bigjd says: Dec 31, 2013 7:56 PM

If this doesn’t work she can sue the gun manufacturer next. If that doesn’t work then maybe the manufacturer of the car he drove there.

61. sschmiggles says: Dec 31, 2013 8:03 PM

> Her son dies and the main thing on her mind is money, people like that make me sick.

Suing someone isn’t always about money. If she feels the Chiefs wronged her son, then it’s about getting justice and embarrassing the organization for committing those wrongs.

I think it’s pretty screwed up that you assume “the only thing” on her mind is money. You don’t know anything about her or this situation.

But let me guess. You’ve read a bunch of stories about frivolous lawsuits on the internet, and believed the media’s version of all of them.

62. Patriot42 says: Dec 31, 2013 8:05 PM

I’m going to sue the navy they gave me sea legs.

63. pfic15 says: Dec 31, 2013 8:29 PM

In other words, “I spent all his money”.

64. bobgriffinthe3rd says: Dec 31, 2013 8:48 PM

thats it ive had it im going to play in the Cuban league

65. gbatap says: Dec 31, 2013 8:56 PM

Pathetic.

Clark Hunt pays out the remainder of Belcher’s contract to his daughter in the form of a trust fund and you repay him by sueing him? Real classy.

66. granadafan says: Dec 31, 2013 9:01 PM

Now you know why the lawyers run the NFL now and why Goodell implemented all those seemingly ridiculous rules about head shots, “defenseless” receiver hits, helmet hits, etc.

67. packersarethebest says: Dec 31, 2013 9:07 PM

Wow that took long!

68. denverfandownsouth says: Dec 31, 2013 9:10 PM

Disgusting.

69. honkerdawg says: Dec 31, 2013 9:18 PM

Boo Hoo. While it’s a shame about what happened it’s not the Chiefs fault. Nobody forces these guts to play and even an idiot would know you’re gonna get hurt playing this game. If you don’t want to take the chance suffering an injury then QUIT; find a real job like the rest of us and I agree this woman’s son dies and all she cares about us howuch she can make off of it – she’s pathetic!

70. wvugrad00 says: Dec 31, 2013 9:31 PM

and I bet all those people bitching about this lawsuit bitched about the NFL changing the rules to protect against these lawsuits.

Without knowing what this person did or did not do with money, the only power she has to change the system is to sue and good for her. People won’t get to keep their gladiator sport without some sort of change, or waiver system, and since neither of those options have happened the lawsuits will happen.

71. jredshoes says: Dec 31, 2013 9:57 PM

Being in the area they’ve been floating this balloon for about 10 months in the paper etc so it’s no surprise. Is she going to sue Hennesey since he was still drunk from the night before? Sue the KcMo police who found him sleeping in his Bentley 4 hours before this happened and tried to do the decent thing and tell him to go inside (his other girlfriends apartment). Is she going to sue Colt for making the handgun? It’s a horrible situation but to blame the Chiefs reeks of the litigation happy world of lawyers we now live in.

72. x9701 says: Dec 31, 2013 9:58 PM

Typical. Low life’s

73. emoney12 says: Dec 31, 2013 10:05 PM

I’m sure she had no issues when he was taking home a pay check. All of a sudden the pay check is gone and now her son has a concussion case. Can’t fix stupid or greed apparently.

74. yetimonster says: Dec 31, 2013 10:23 PM

If she loses can we throw her in jail for wasting our court’s time?

75. haytammy says: Dec 31, 2013 10:26 PM

Welp, looks like mama still wants her meal ticket…

76. jacobk621 says: Dec 31, 2013 10:28 PM

If any one should sue it’s the girlfriends family who should sue belchers estate ,, let’s see how she reacts to that ,, she”ll rot in hell just like her murderous son !!

77. sean6886 says: Dec 31, 2013 10:34 PM

It’s a tragedy all around but time for Momma to hold her Son accountable for HIS OWN actions instead of blaming everyone else. Maybe if she held him accountable for his actions in the first place, he might not have turned out to be an alcoholic, a woman beater & a killer.

78. johninthewest says: Dec 31, 2013 10:34 PM

Chiefs are fraud.

79. wwwmattcom says: Dec 31, 2013 11:01 PM

Please don’t let get see a dime.

80. christophershearin says: Dec 31, 2013 11:16 PM

if she wins this lawsuit, I am going to sue the chiefs for not affording me the opportunity to play professional football, and for telling me I suck and thus have crushed my dreams and my confidence to the point that I can no longer function as a human being.

81. x9701 says: Dec 31, 2013 11:17 PM

Pitiful

82. strongmackn says: Dec 31, 2013 11:22 PM

I wanted to play football SO BAD when I was a kid. My folks never let me. I could never understand why. They kept me limited to baseball, soccer and hockey which can still cause injuries… that was before anyone even thought twice about the head trauma.

These players and parents need to recognize the risk and accept it beforehand. Dont sit there and think that your son is gonna be fine after beating his head and body up for 10-20 years. Then hold someone else liable after the effects set in. Its kinda calloused to say, but they chose the football life.

My 6 and 8 yr old sons both want to play football. I want to let them. Even more than I want to let them, I dont want them debilitated.

83. vikinganswer says: Dec 31, 2013 11:26 PM

A smarter person would listen when we tell not to lead with your head. Maybe the girlfriends parents should sue this so-called mother of having a kid in the first place.

84. ironman721 says: Dec 31, 2013 11:29 PM

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Just saying…

85. Punk says: Dec 31, 2013 11:36 PM

how is it that I can love football so much, but find football fans so embarrassing?

86. djstat says: Dec 31, 2013 11:45 PM

Gold digger

87. jeremycrowhurst says: Jan 1, 2014 12:36 AM

Yes, she’s a vulture and a parasite. Yes, her lawyer is a scumbag.

But the NFL has already admitted wrongdoing in the handling of concussions, the consequence of CTE resulting from it, and that they are civilly liable for damages. Isn’t that why they just paid out almost a billion dollars to those few hundred players who sued?

The woman shouldn’t get a dime, but if the examination of his body does show CTE, then there should be some money paid into a trust fund for his child.

88. keylimelight says: Jan 1, 2014 12:46 AM

This is all so very sad.

89. drbob117 says: Jan 1, 2014 12:54 AM

If she gets any money from this absurd suit, a judge should make her give it all to the dead girlfriend’s family.

90. stixzidinia says: Jan 1, 2014 12:55 AM

You gotta be kidding me.

91. sincityhawk says: Jan 1, 2014 3:03 AM

Will she give back the new house, new car and amenities that her son afforded her because he had the talent and approval to make the NFL?

Or is this lawsuit more about the fact hat her gravy train is gone and she still wants to live the good life?

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jovan’s wife’s family.

92. lawyermalloy says: Jan 1, 2014 6:12 AM

The girlfriend should sue the Belcher estate for wrongful death thereby preventing Momma from keeping any money she recovers from the Chiefs.

93. joetoronto says: Jan 1, 2014 6:51 AM

The Chiefs wanted to defend themselves, but they have no defense at all. :)

94. keetoosya says: Jan 1, 2014 8:24 AM

It’s coming down to that any person that wants to plays sports will have to sign a waiver leaving the team and everyone else involved with the sports world, not liable for anything and that the player and/ or family member/friend, cannot sue them before they are allowed to play the game or participate on a practice field.
    This is what lawyers did to ruin the sports world.

95. vikinggroininjury says: Jan 1, 2014 9:38 AM

Will Shakespeare: “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers”