John Harbaugh hedges on Ravens staff changes

John Harbaugh AP

Ravens coach John Harbaugh hasn’t made any staff changes yet, but he isn’t ruling it out, either.

I don’t want to get into all that right now because I just don’t think that would be fair,” Harbaugh said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “I don’t want to say that I’m never going to do anything or I’m always going to do something. I don’t plan on doing anything right now. And you guys are going to say, ‘Oh, there’s an opening, he’s going to do something.’ … I don’t want to make an oath that I really don’t know the answer to for the future.”

Of course, some of those might not be his call.

Offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell could get some looks for head coaching jobs, but they might need to freshen up the offense anyway.

The Ravens struggled to run this year (a franchise-low 1,328 yards), leading some to wonder about the future of run game coordinator Juan Castillo.

But Harbaugh praised Castillo’s work.

“I guarantee one thing if you talk to any of our coaches, and Juan Castillo is a very accountable guy. Juan Castillo will be the first guy to say, ‘put it all on his shoulders,’” Harbaugh said. “There are probably a lot of people out there willing to do that. … I believe in our coaches. That goes for Juan Castillo, it goes for all of our guys. I think he’s a great coach, but I think all of our guys are great coaches. But we’ve got to coach better. We’ve got to find a way to use our personnel better. We’ve got to get better.”

If he was certain he wasn’t making changes, he could have easily said so. But until there’s a declaration, it’s easy to wonder if they could find a way to upgrade.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “John Harbaugh hedges on Ravens staff changes”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 1, 2014 1:21 PM

2. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 1, 2014 1:24 PM

Get rid of Jaun. Keep everything else the same.

Had a massive purge, a beat up QB, and a busted O-line and still almost made the playoffs.

No big changes needed.

3. krabballs says: Jan 1, 2014 1:26 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    “Well then Harbaugh needs to go to strategy school like I have been suggesting for years now and shore up the areas that he is weak in, and the GM needs to be fired and replaced, because they have done an atrocious job at assembling this team and creating nice shape for the future. The GM anchors this team’s potential down, and Harbaugh doesn’t have the right personnel to help him with overall strategy.”

One question: is it a requirement to be incredibly stupid in order to post on this site, or is it only suggested?

4. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 1, 2014 1:29 PM

When he is not whining to the refs for a call he comes across almost sincere. You need better players on offense to go with a better o coordinator. JumpBallJoe needs support hen can carry the team just so far. Once the d learns to play clean without leading the league in penalties you will be back in the hunt.

5. daytonaken says: Jan 1, 2014 1:31 PM

Harbs, your eyes are the same as mine, the offense was just too damn predictable. Please be honest with the ignorant fans. I’m available…

6. joshuas82 says: Jan 1, 2014 1:33 PM

Translation: “I’ll wait and see if Caldwell & Castillo get another job and then I won’t have to fire them”

7. whacko4flacco says: Jan 1, 2014 1:35 PM

Harbs, please start with our “run game coordinator” Juan Castillo. The only skill he brought was being a magician. He made our run game disappear.

8. petehemlock says: Jan 1, 2014 1:38 PM

He needs a new fan base.

9. jcmeyer10 says: Jan 1, 2014 1:46 PM

The butterfly effect of Anquan Boldin leaving.

10. camdenyard says: Jan 1, 2014 2:02 PM

The Ravens always huddle as an organization after the season before making these kind of decisions. I would expect nothing to happen until then. Then, I would expect the offensive side to be gutted and a new start with a new OC and a new system.

11. ravensdominate says: Jan 1, 2014 2:16 PM

8-8 after a Super Bowl. I’m good with it. Lets get a few pieces in place for next year and make another run. We don’t miss the playoffs two years in a row. That’s why we’ve been in the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years…

12. braven4evr says: Jan 1, 2014 2:17 PM

@camdenyard
    well stated and the truth. If we don’t get rid of Castillo; then Harbaugh and Ozzie should both go!

13. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 1, 2014 2:30 PM

Absolutely brilliant logic , but flawed because your core leadership is gone. JumpBallJoe can’t do it alone and your D is weak. You are in denial ….may need to change your handle to the ravens dominated once when I was young.

14. southpaw2k says: Jan 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Boy, thestrategyexpert is so right. Ozzie Newsome has got to go. He clearly does not know a thing about assembling a championship team. He was only responsible for drafting Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith, Dennis Pitta, Ray Rice, Marshal Yanda, Torrey Smith, and Joe Flacco. Not to mention signing Elvis Dumervil, Daryl Smith, and Jacoby Jones. That’s just one busy after another. I could put together a better team than that.

I really think there needs to be some screening process to allow someone to create an account to post comments on here, something that proves they know a thing or two about the subject before they open their proverbial mouths.

15. toybkshr says: Jan 1, 2014 2:54 PM

From above:
    “No big changes needed”.————————————————————————————-
    Wrong, 8-8 needs big changes, period.

16. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 1, 2014 3:16 PM

krabballs:

Well I guess I have to answer your question since this made it through somehow, but no I don’t believe it’s a requirement. Obviously you are suggesting my comment is stupid or that I am stupid, but you haven’t helped me out in determining what you think is stupid about my opinion on the matter. I re-read what I wrote and it sounds to me like I’m dead on the money with understanding where the Ravens are misfiring. I’m on solid ground.

17. ravenswhat says: Jan 1, 2014 3:20 PM

The eagles had a competent Oline and run game until Juan took those over. The Ravens had a decent line and run game until Juan took those over and it went in the toilet.

People think 27 year old ray rice’s career is over because he posted career lows in everything. It’s amazing the amount of damage Juan did.

Cut ties with your buddy John. Seriously.

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 1, 2014 3:22 PM

I am all for it as it would eliminate 98% of posts by raven fans. Very sensitive after going 8-8? Better hike up the big boy Huggies cause you are in store for more of 8-8.

19. scoobies05 says: Jan 1, 2014 4:03 PM

i would suggest you worry more about what the steelers are doing. im not sure why you keep calling out the defense. you do realize they finished in the top 10 in points allowed. they did have their late game hiccups, which are unacceptable. my feeling is they were on the field too much which led to their breakdowns. and while joe didnt have a great season at all, he is not the problem. we need to improve o line first and foremost. that will improve the running game, give joe more time, etc etc. hope your new year is off to a good start

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 1, 2014 4:26 PM

@scoobies== happy new year! When you are 8-8 your stats are just stats nothing more. I am not worried about the steelers as the end of the season they were playing much better, but I am not sure you could say the same. Both teams have issues,but our arrow is pointing up and yours is horizontal.

21. haterade999 says: Jan 1, 2014 7:35 PM

Strategyexpert … you’re a freaking idiot. Ozzie should go? Who’s your team? Were they in the playoffs the last 5 years? Won 2 SB in 11 years?

I doubt it.

If you’re a Ravens fan, please show the rest of the NFL that we aren’t all complete idiots.

22. scoobies05 says: Jan 1, 2014 7:54 PM

i certainly cant dispute that. we had it in front of us and blew it. we just werent good enough. however, we didnt finish 4 and 12. and yes, the steelers were playing better at the end of the year…and still finished 8 and 8.you have to judge the season as a whole though. steelers were playing well at the end..why did the start 0 and 4. ravens were inconsistent all year. as i stateed earlier, fixing the o line will solve a lot of issues. loooks like both of our teams have some work ahead of us.

23. mrpkg says: Jan 2, 2014 4:16 PM

This Ravens team is heading down and will continue to choke on Flacco’s contract

4-12 in 2014

24. steelcurtainn says: Jan 2, 2014 4:51 PM

The Ravens downfall to 3rd place this year was not a surprise. At least they managed to stay out of the basement.

25. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Jan 2, 2014 10:36 PM

Winning the super bowl is great. Then here comes next season when the hunter becomes the hunted player leave its a tough road to go.

To the the team i love to hate but have all the respect in the world for. There is o doubt in my mind that things will get fixed and you will be back in the hunt next season.