Marvin Lewis wants to win four playoff games, not one

Lewis AP

The Bengals haven’t won a playoff game since January 1991.  For nearly half of the 23-year gulf, Marvin Lewis has served as the team’s head coach.

So is he tired of hearing about the failure of the franchise to succeed in the postseason?

“It can’t bother me,” Lewis told reporters on Wednesday. “It’s my goal. Not to win one, but to win four.”

Lewis explained that the team’s past failures are fueling his desire to break through.

“Every time you don’t get what you want, it makes you come back hungrier,” Lewis said. “There’s no doubt about it.  You come earlier.  You come harder.  That’s the only way I know how to do it. We’re going to work harder.”

That doesn’t mean the Bengals haven’t worked hard in the four past occasions Lewis has taken a team to the postseason.

“I thought we prepared very well a year ago,” Lewis sad.  “I thought we prepared very well the year before that.  I’ve thought we’ve had good weeks of preparation and we’ve just got to go put it out there.  We’ve just got to go play.  We’re not going to get any of you to shut up about it until we win.  That’s the way it is and I told them that this morning, flatly, OK? That’s the way it is.  That’s the way it is.”

Part of “the way it is” is the team’s inability to sell out Paul Brown Stadium for a playoff game, after managing sellouts in each of the team’s regular-season home games.

“I can’t say what I really think, so I’ll just move on,” Lewis said, smiling.

He may not be smiling if the building isn’t full on Sunday, but he’ll definitely be smiling if the Bengals win the game.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Marvin Lewis wants to win four playoff games, not one”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 1, 2014 9:29 PM

But he said the other day he already accomplished 2 earlier goals that weren’t about winning the SB. This statement is acting like he only has ONE goal. So were those other goals just goals for other people or for the team but not for himself individually? Or does he mean he has some smaller goals, and one big whole enchilada goal, but no goals inbetween those goals, and previously accomplished goals are no longer recognized as goals at all since they are in the past?

Personally I think he should just scrap all his talk about goals, and just do a great job and win the Super Bowl and stop worrying about trying to explain his goals and reconcile missed goals of the past. It’s just confusing banter and I’ve learned nothing valuable from reading this report. That doesn’t help me understand football or understand why you understand how to win at football.

2. t8ertot says: Jan 1, 2014 9:39 PM

Marvin said it best. “When we win, you all will shut up.” I’m looking forward to that. This playoff draught and Andy Dalton bashing is getting old.

3. rubenxx7 says: Jan 1, 2014 9:54 PM

what andy dalton shows up? dr.jeckyl or mr.hide?

4. jcmeyer10 says: Jan 1, 2014 10:02 PM

Marvin, in this case you should focus on winning one. I still don’t believe your team will show up. Got to see it to believe it.

5. t8ertot says: Jan 1, 2014 10:08 PM

Bengals will make it to the Super Bowl. Bank on it

6. bengalskuta82 says: Jan 1, 2014 10:27 PM

Marvins the real deal. Its hard to work under Mike Brown and be successful. But his done it.. He’ll go all the way this time

7. smartestpackerfan says: Jan 1, 2014 10:29 PM

I’m pretty sure we are the only team in the playoffs capable of winning 4 games, if only people would show up to our games…

8. vottorific says: Jan 1, 2014 11:17 PM

GO BENGALS! BEAT CHARGERS!

9. green41563 says: Jan 2, 2014 12:55 AM

Tell him to start with one.

10. pabrownsfan says: Jan 2, 2014 3:47 AM

Good luck to all Bengal fans.

11. joetoronto says: Jan 2, 2014 4:43 AM

Lewis and Dalton are holding this team back big time and denying it just prolongs the problem.

The window only stays open for so long.

12. flushdownmikebrown says: Jan 2, 2014 9:23 AM

Love it Marvin. So much talent on this tea, despite all of the injuries. Great year and heck of coaching job. This team has the ability to play into February

13. slick50ks says: Jan 2, 2014 1:00 PM

The first one will be easy. Just put in your backups, and pray the refs don’t screw you for the easy win.

14. bengalsfan316 says: Jan 3, 2014 5:22 PM